PDA

View Full Version : 10 minute GamesCom Openworld Gameplay 05.09.2013

dex3108
09-05-2013, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScIR0HUyMlI

Bastiaen
09-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Cool beans. Harpooning looks exhilarating.

Raibuscus
09-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Awesome

ze_topazio
09-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Shirtless Edward fighting animations look kind of bad, shirtless Edward animations in general look kind of bad when compared with fully dressed Edward.

deskp
09-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Is this on ps3? it looks worse than the other vvids we have gotten.

MIA SILENT
09-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Love the environments. Combat seems a little slow but overall looks the same as AC3's, which is mostly a good thing. I'm hoping we have more quick-select weapons we can switch to during chain-kill strings though. I'm also really hoping that the camera doesn't zoom-in during certain kill animations like in AC3. The animations look awesome enough without having to go into some zoomed-in cinematic animation.

GunnarGunderson
09-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Again with the stealth, what's the point of it if enemies charge at you offering you their weapons instead of standing in place and shooting you?

Shahkulu101
09-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Really got a sense of just how huge the world is. I have a feeling I'm not going to like it, it's far too overwhelming for me like it is with Far Cry 3. At least Havana is dense and sized moderately.

AnthonyA85
09-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Very nice :) I'm glad that we can upgrade the harpoons, it looks like loads of fun :) I think i'm definitely going to enjoy BF more than I did AC3. And we also got details on how the notoriety system works now, that's good. We'll have fleets after us? That should be interesting :P Though I am a bit disappointed that not all the ship ammo types have limited supply. It seems only swivel guns, heavy shot and mortars can run out, hopefully, they'll add a limit for chain and roundshot too.

deskp
09-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Very nice :) I'm glad that we can upgrade the harpoons, it looks like loads of fun :) I think i'm definitely going to enjoy BF more than I did AC3. And we also got details on how the notoriety system works now, that's good. We'll have fleets after us? That should be interesting :P Though I am a bit disappointed that not all the ship ammo types have limited supply. It seems only swivel guns, heavy shot and mortars can run out, hopefully, they'll add a limit for chain and roundshot too.

Being stuck without any way to fight back seems like no fun.

AnthonyA85
09-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Perhaps, but it would also add an extra layer of challenge and difficulty to the game (something a lot of players want).

Azurefeatherfly
09-05-2013, 07:20 PM
The one thing that I did not like about this demo and what I tweeted to Ashraf:

On the ship battle, guard standing behind Edward doing nothing is incredibly jarring.

The AI response definitely needs to be stronger. The entire purpose of guards is to kill Edward to the best of their ability.

If they are concerned about difficulty, allow us to choose difficulty settings. I really do not see what negatives might come out of this setup.

Otherwise, wonderful demo to show off the world

poptartz20
09-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Ahh! The way the notoriety works kinda reminds me of RDR a little bit! Except you are out on the sea with fleets chasing after you vs. Crazed men on horses. So far no major complaints. Other than they are really starting to make me wonder about the "stealth" aspect now. I know that they are really pushing for the game to be more stealthy.but now, it feels unnatural. maybe I'm just looking into too much. I know they are really trying to redeem the old fanbase with this new game but geez.

deskp
09-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Perhaps, but it would also add an extra layer of challenge and difficulty to the game (something a lot of players want).
Having to constantly keep stocked with ammo seems more of a chore than a challenge, no fun.

lothario-da-be
09-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Nice vid. But i am getting dja v feelings of these Caribbean videos. Thet all are too similar. And that while we barely haven't seen anything of Havana and Kingston.

pacmanate
09-05-2013, 07:40 PM
I posted this before Woody and no one liked my thread :(

Anyway, I noticed that one item from a chest was some Heavy Shots. Does this mean that Naval is now harder in the sense that you don't have unlimited ammo for each shot? Makes it more realistic to be honest.

lothario-da-be
09-05-2013, 07:47 PM
I posted this before Woody and no one liked my thread :(

Anyway, I noticed that one item from a chest was some Heavy Shots. Does this mean that Naval is now harder in the sense that you don't have unlimited ammo for each shot? Makes it more realistic to be honest.
I think so, ive read or heard somewhere that your ammo in naval is not infinite like in ac3.

Wolfmeister1010
09-05-2013, 08:04 PM
there are a number of things i am happy about in this demo.

1. air assassinations and high profile assassinations no longer alert everyone. in fact, it seems to alert fewer people than in all previous games.
2. ragdoll animation improved: enemy shot with rifle fell immeditately down cliff, did not float.
3. sound effects for musket and guns sound top notch.\
4. music is unbelievable and kinda reminds me of far cry 3 and AC2.
5. islands look very fun and full of activities.
6. there are pirate enemies armed with guns and swords that walk the beaches! we have other people to fight than city guards and soldiers!
7. graphics look fantastic as usual.
8. i like the wanted system; reminds me of gta.
9. combat looks great, but there dont seem to be any new unarmed combat animations. no matter, because the ones in ac3 are fantastic!

my hype increased a little bit. i want to see nassau next!

Farlander1991
09-05-2013, 08:11 PM
I wonder how the absence of notoriety on land will affect social stealth, i.e. the need for it in cities outside of missions to avoid guards and the likes. (I liked being fully notorious in Ezio's games and getting from place to place that way, also made underground tunnels in later games more useful and feel more important, but in AC3 since the notoriety was reset with each fast travel that was kinda pointless, not to mention there wasn't a whole lot of activity in the cities to go to anyway).

x___Luffy___x
09-05-2013, 08:15 PM
looks very beautiful. graphics are very good. can't wait to play it.

dex3108
09-05-2013, 08:58 PM
I would like to publicly apologize to pacmanate for pushing his thread into the pit. Next time name your thread better :P

ACfan443
09-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Getting a little bored of the same thing being shown over and over, demonstrating how to synch a viewpoint was so utterly pointless - the new 'puzzle' (which kinda existed in the AC1-ACR style viewpoints anyway) was something I could have just discovered/experienced myself from playing the game. On a positive note, the harpooning looked much better in this demo than the Eurogamer preview.

David2010549
09-05-2013, 09:29 PM
A non-360 degree radius of corpse detection confirmed! Thank the lord! High profile fist takedowns not auto alerting all enemies in a certain radius is nice too, I hope other high profile actions have been tweaked.

The sniper warning sound is really strange. The Brute's weapon flying away was hilarious and, honestly, pathetic. It makes absolutely no sense from any perspective, and yet it was deemed fine to put into a promotional video. I'd think it was a bug otherwise.

The remaining crew of the captured ship instantly seeming to respect the pirates after being freed seemed really strange. I sort of get what they were going for, but it's awkward.

What's the red meter that appears under the health bar in the bar fight? Notoriety? Finally, what's the point of drinking in small amounts if there's absolutely no effect?

Oh yeah, I'm liking the new bits of music here. I was hoping for more modern elements in the soundtrack, more of a fusion sound than what was shown before, and now I've gotten that.

Farlander1991
09-05-2013, 09:30 PM
What's the red meter that appears under the health bar in the bar fight? Notoriety?

That's our crew member size. I suppose when we unlock the tavern it shows up so we'd know what it is, since we can hire crew in taverns.

pacmanate
09-05-2013, 10:03 PM
I would like to publicly apologize to pacmanate for pushing his thread into the pit. Next time name your thread better :P

D: <3

Getting a little bored of the same thing being shown over and over, demonstrating how to synch a viewpoint was so utterly pointless - the new 'puzzle' (which kinda existed in the AC1-ACR style viewpoints anyway) was something I could have just discovered/experienced myself from playing the game. On a positive note, the harpooning looked much better in this demo than the Eurogamer preview.

They did the viewpoint thing to tell us they are puzzles (like FC3) to get to the top, and also to show off the lovely scenery. I do agree that we didnt really have to see it, they could have told us and not put it in

ACfan443
09-05-2013, 10:12 PM
D: <3

They did the viewpoint thing to tell us they are puzzles (like FC3) to get to the top, and also to show off the lovely scenery. I do agree that we didnt really have to see it, they could have told us and not put it in

I know, I instantly recognised those puzzles as a copy of the radio towers in FC3, but the puzzle concept in general is not something new in AC to begin with, the way you navigate around to find climable areas is just like the AC1-ACR viewpoints, it was unnecessary to be honest. And also, they've already shown that there'll be beautiful vistas in previous demos - another unnecessary demonstration.

pacmanate
09-05-2013, 10:19 PM
I know, I instantly recognised those puzzles as a copy of the radio towers in FC3, but the puzzle concept in general is not something new in AC to begin with, the way you navigate around to find climable areas is just like the AC1-ACR viewpoints, it was unnecessary to be honest. And also, they've already shown that there'll be beautiful vistas in previous demos - another unnecessary demonstration.

Agree again but hey, its more stuff to look at and it only took up like 20 seconds. Its still eye candy to me :P. I am however getting a bit of fatigue of the ship stuff now. They are almost showing too much now. I really want a 10 minute city gameplay video but at the same time I don't. I really dont want to see Nassau until I get the game either.

David2010549
09-05-2013, 10:22 PM
That's our crew member size. I suppose when we unlock the tavern it shows up so we'd know what it is, since we can hire crew in taverns.
Ah. Thanks.

Oleg l Kirrlov
09-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Honestly, I wish I didn't watch it. Those were things I wish I could've found out on my own. Going to try to remove from my memory and not watching anymore vids.

SixKeys
09-06-2013, 01:15 AM
Anybody remember the name of that site where you could download high-quality (60 fps) versions of AC4 videos? I wonder if they already have a better version of this clip.

Jexx21
09-06-2013, 01:22 AM
It looks like they're going through the different things we can do in the game and showing an example of each.

E3 and Gamescom: Story mission demos, showing how the seamless naval-to-land/land-to-naval transitions are used in the story and not just for free-roam

First 7-minute video: Treasure Map to Mayan Ruin upgrade mission, the latter end of an assassination contract
13-minute gameplay: Assassination contract in small village that can turn into a ship chase and battle, attacking a fort
7 minute Stealth/Havana gameplay: Showing off a small smuggler cave, showing off an assassination contract in Havana, and the latter end of an story assassination
10 minute open sea gameplay: showing off the tavern side missions (probably made to fill the brawling club from AC3), the redesigned puzzles for the viewpoints (probably inspired by Far Cry 3), the underwater aspect of having to hide from predators while searching for treasure and handling your air, a bigger smuggler cave where Ash tries to emphasize the reason that we aren't dying due to the bandits attacking us is because we catch them by surprise (we might die in one or two hits from these guys, because we have no armor on at all. That's the risk, coming in without our armor, not without our weapons), a naval battle with the pirate hunters and showing that we can loose wanted levels by choosing to do so when we board a hunter's ship, and then showing off the harpooning system.

Now, we already knew and saw most of this from other sources. But this is the first time that Ubisoft revealed it themselves.

Completely new stuff (in terms of being shown in gameplay):
-Brawling for Tavern Access
-Viewpoint puzzles
-Pirate Hunter system

First time shown off by Ubisoft to us without being from a third-party source:
-Underwater gameplay
-Harpooning

Stuff we saw before:
-Smuggler cave

So most of this was completely new.

Jexx21
Anybody remember the name of that site where you could download high-quality (60 fps) versions of AC4 videos? I wonder if they already have a better version of this clip.

Gamersyde. They have always had the newest video when I go to check.

menumaxibestof

Gamersyde. ;)
And no, they don't have this one in 60 fps.

Jexx21
09-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Gamersyde. ;)
And no, they don't have this one in 60 fps.

But it is of a higher quality than the youtube video due to picture quality.

I don't even see a difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS, and I play on PC -_-

SixKeys
09-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Gamersyde. They have always had the newest video when I go to check.

Thanks. :) Even if it's not super-high quality, it should still be better than the YouTube version.

A couple of things looked off to me in this demo. Edward's hair looked completely white when he dived underwater, in previous demos it looked fine. And during the tavern (well, beach) brawl people didn't seem to care at all when Edward beat the crap out of those guys. In a way it's comical, I guess pirates are used to anything, but it does highlight the watered down notoriety system. People no longer even seem to comment on your actions when you do something out of the ordinary.

menumaxibestof
09-06-2013, 01:45 AM
But it is of a higher quality than the youtube video due to picture quality.

I don't even see a difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS, and I play on PC -_-

Yes but the encoding is still pretty bad... Look at the foliage of the trees in the last gameplay videos, it looks like mashed potatoes...

I see a difference between 24 and 25 fps so you can imagine how high is the difference between 30 and 60, at least for me. :D

SixKeys
09-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Another note: now more than ever I hope we can turn off the indicators above every person's head that tells us exactly what to do. It's really distracting, especially during the ship fight when enemies have a big, red exclamation mark above their heads that tells you when they're about to attack. Why was this added? It's never been necessary in any of the AC games.

Spider_Sith9
09-06-2013, 02:13 AM
The folk music at the tavern made me giggle. :o

projectpat06
09-06-2013, 04:47 AM
One thing I noticed is how easy it was to take down guards when edward didn't have any weapons. They should make it where the only to take out a guard that easily is from a stealth take down. If running up to an alert guard with no weapons, edward should have to dodge/counter a few strikes before he can disarm. Also, when strangling the brute, edward choked him out in about 2 seconds. I would like to see some kind of struggle like we saw in The Last of Us so we have to better plan our timing.

Glad they put in the wanted system with a bounty. I was hoping for something similar to red dead for a while now.

TheDanteEX
09-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Countering shouldn't even be possible when you're unarmed in my opinion. Also, I think it's strange you can knock out an enemy as fast as you can kill one with a weapon. I guess it's hard to help when the new combat system seems to measure enemy disablement by how many of the animations are played out in sequence and not exactly by how much health they've lost. When you think about it, the whole combat is built on chaining attacks.

Jexx21
09-06-2013, 06:21 AM
if you couldn't counter someone when you're unarmed then how do you disarm them and take their weapon for yourself?

roostersrule2
09-06-2013, 06:32 AM
This looks really good, I love the way the water moves, I hate it when water movement is so unrealistic.

TheDanteEX
09-06-2013, 08:33 AM
if you couldn't counter someone when you're unarmed then how do you disarm them and take their weapon for yourself?

Break their defense first? If they're immune to defense breaking, then you're outta luck. I just think it helps a bit when the only downside to using fists against armed opponents is you can't parry, which I never used anyway.

Jexx21
09-06-2013, 08:48 AM
but the point of it isn't that you don't have weapons, the point is you don't have armor.

Aphex_Tim
09-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Did anyone else think Resident Evil 4 during the harpooning scene?

roostersrule2
09-06-2013, 08:52 AM
but the point of it isn't that you don't have weapons, the point is you don't have armor.Abs of steel

Spider_Sith9
09-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Did anyone else think Resident Evil 4 during the harpooning scene?

Yep!

pirate1802
09-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Meh, not as good as the open wold demo. Here we saw things which we've (mostly) already seen. Would have been more interesting had they just sailed around and showed us different kinds of islands and locations. Or maybe a sneak peak of Nassau. Getting a little sick of all the naval battles they push into every single demo.

poptartz20
09-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Getting a little sick of all the naval battles they push into every single demo.

it is a pirate game. :rolleyes:

No but I totally understand. I think that it's weird how they keep pushing the word "stealth" into every other sentence. :|

either way the game is still looking very good! :)

Farlander1991
09-06-2013, 10:24 AM
No but I totally understand. I think that it's weird how they keep pushing the word "stealth" into every other sentence. :|

If you were developing a sequel to a game one of which main criticisms was lack of stealth options (or, lack of stealth usefulness) by tons of fans, you'd be pushing that word into every other sentence too :p

pirate1802
09-06-2013, 10:30 AM
it is a pirate game. :rolleyes:

either way the game is still looking very good! :)

I mean yeah I get it, the naval aspect is awesomely mindblowing. But showing it in every demo gets boring fast. One of the reason I enjoyed AC3's naval was because I didn't care for it before the game was released, never checked out any naval demo.

pacmanate
09-06-2013, 10:30 AM
A couple of things looked off to me in this demo. Edward's hair looked completely white when he dived underwater, in previous demos it looked fine. And during the tavern (well, beach) brawl people didn't seem to care at all when Edward beat the crap out of those guys. In a way it's comical, I guess pirates are used to anything, but it does highlight the watered down notoriety system. People no longer even seem to comment on your actions when you do something out of the ordinary.

Edwards hair underwater does look white but I think its just the colour style underwater. Either way, the underwater looks way better than I thought it did. Also, people did react, there were people running away in the distance.

Another note: now more than ever I hope we can turn off the indicators above every person's head that tells us exactly what to do. It's really distracting, especially during the ship fight when enemies have a big, red exclamation mark above their heads that tells you when they're about to attack. Why was this added? It's never been necessary in any of the AC games.

This! Personally, I hate this, and removing the HUD icons that tell me when someone/thing will attack could add a layer of difficulty to the game. However, in past AC games, if you wanted this to happen you would have to completely remove the SSI. This means that you would never know if a guards yellow/red detection meter was filling up which was just annoying.

I hope they added a HUD option to remove the attacking icons but keep the SSI icons in tact.

Getting a little sick of all the naval battles they push into every single demo.

This. We've seen 5 demos now? Or there about. Every one has 1 too many minutes of naval, and its always the same. You are just sailing or fighting (not much you can do on a ship really). But we dont need to see it all the time. I also mentioned this in another thread.

Thing is with AC3 is that when Naval got shown I was pretty excited (and it did turn out well). The problem however was that they showed it off way to much that I actually got naval fatigue.

I get this is a pirate game, but we already saw a bunch of naval for AC3 and a bunch of naval for AC4 (yes fair enough you can trajectory aim and all that seemless stuff, but who doesn't know that now?).

The PAX demo is coming out next week according to Ashraf on twitter. Not sure if this means that mission with the cutscene and grandmaster templar, which I hope its not, or if its the jungle one, which I hope it is.

If they show anything from now it needs to be something not including naval.

pirate1802
09-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I'm getting naval fatigue as well. Not a good sign.

How about they show Edward stealth swimming his way into a ship's captain cabin and taking him out silently?

pacmanate
09-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I'm getting naval fatigue as well. Not a good sign.

How about they show Edward stealth swimming his way into a ship's captain cabin and taking him out silently?

I personally think they should not show any Caribbean gameplay. What you are asking for are things we can do ourselves, we dont really need it showcased. Why would you want to see that? Surely you want to do some things/discover stuff yourself?

If anything they need to show some City stuff. However I use the word "need" loosely. I don't really want to, nor do I feel like I need to see more. If I do see more I might even get fatigue of AC4 before even playing it. We are getting a new demo next week though and hopefully its the last one. I then think a launch trailer is all we need after that

x___Luffy___x
09-06-2013, 10:59 AM
i really don't wanna see any more demos. i think we've got enough. im up for more trailers though.

pirate1802
09-06-2013, 11:02 AM
I personally think they should not show any Caribbean gameplay. What you are asking for are things we can do ourselves, we dont really need it showcased. Why would you want to see that? Surely you want to do some things/discover stuff yourself?t

Could have been shown in the stealth demo to showcase the stealth opportunities in naval as well.

pacmanate
09-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Could have been shown in the stealth demo to showcase the stealth opportunities in naval as well.

True but personally I dont want to see everything we can do. I want to explore and find stuff out myself.

Thats why I think GTA's marketing is great. They just trailers, no demos, and when you get the game you are new to everything.

pirate1802
09-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Well, they have to show us new stuff to justify throwing money at them every year. Case is different with GTA.

Yearly releases..... how much I hate thee..

pacmanate
09-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Well, they have to show us new stuff to justify throwing money at them every year. Case is different with GTA.

Yearly releases..... how much I hate thee..

But do we really need stealth swimming to a ship showcased to us? Seems pretty standard to me, just jump into water, swim, climb ship and go HAM

pirate1802
09-06-2013, 11:14 AM
But do we really need stealth swimming to a ship showcased to us? Seems pretty standard to me, just jump into water, swim, climb ship and go HAM

Hey, I'd take that over more 'Splosions any day! I was not saying they HAVE to show it. I was saying why not something varied, like this instead of ship battles every time.

pacmanate
09-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Hey, I'd take that over more 'Splosions any day! I was not saying they HAVE to show it. I was saying why not something varied, like this instead of ship battles every time.

Ah okay. Well yeah, anything but naval, sick of that water now :P even though it looks awesome. I also want them to stop showing viewpoints, we know what the **** viewpoints are! Actually ashraf called them something different in one video... a "reach high point"? Or something?

Dutchman141
09-06-2013, 11:19 AM
I realy liked this video, the harpooning looks awesome and I'm excited by the dangers when you are swimming underwater.

I too think though that we're getting to see to much of the same, on one hand it might become repetitive and the other hand I don't mind that much because that leaves a lot still under wraps so most of the game is there for me to discover.
They're not showing much of the storyline and that is a good thing in my opinion and everytime when they do show a new location I go wow that looks nice.
I realy like the fact that you have to fight pirate hunters to get your wanted level down.

There a lot of you who don't feel to pleased with the game mechanics like stealth and such, I don't feel that way, propably because I'm a casual gamer and just discovered the AC series a few months ago. I'm doing a complete playthrough of all titles and started with AC3, I wish I had started with AC1 just for the story but now I'm playing them in the right order, I just started Revelations.
So far I like all of them, one better then the other but still.
I'm realy looking forward to AC4 because the setting is the best I can imagine "the golden age of piracy" but that is a matter of personal taste.
Hardcore AC players might think AC4 isn't a real AC game and I can respect that but for me I'm truly excited.

One video I would realy like to see is where they compare the current gen to the next gen in quality and other stuff that might be different.

I short I think AC4 will be an awesome game.

pacmanate
09-06-2013, 11:23 AM
One video I would realy like to see is where they compare the current gen to the next gen in quality and other stuff that might be different.

I short I think AC4 will be an awesome game.

They will never compare versions. Digital Foundary will though! And thats what I am excited for. I really want to see X1 - 360 comparisons, X1-PS4 comparisons etc

Dutchman141
09-06-2013, 11:37 AM
They will never compare versions. Digital Foundary will though! And thats what I am excited for. I really want to see X1 - 360 comparisons, X1-PS4 comparisons etc

I think Digital Foundary will only be able to show the differences after the games have been released though, I pre-ordered AC4 so propably I will be able to see the 360 version before they make a review on youtube, I hope I'm wrong though.

Legendz54
09-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Nice video.. Love the environment but I think its time to show some cities and other stuff we can do other than islands, ships, combat and climbing. It will start to get repetitive with Naval, jungle then combat... in every video. But hey who cares im happy if we even get anything.

SixKeys
09-06-2013, 11:50 AM
I think they're showing so much naval because it's not really spoilery. I don't want them to show all the cities and other locations this early, I want to explore them myself. I was already slightly disappointed by how small this smuggler cave seemed to be, I hope they're not all like that.

On a side note, I really like the idea of Edward not having any armor or weapons in the underwater caves, but judging by how easy it still is to counter and disarm, it's not going to make any real difference. Like someone said, I wish they'd make it more like TLoU where stealth really matters and you're truly vulnerable.

pacmanate
09-06-2013, 11:57 AM
^ Agree. To be honest, having no weapons doesnt mean you are vulnerable at all. You just keep hitting them, or just disarm and use their own weapon. Its not really a challenge but its good you dont have weapons

deskp
09-06-2013, 01:57 PM
i really don't wanna see any more demos. i think we've got enough. im up for more trailers though.

Well the trailers are always filled with spoilers, the demos rarely never are.

They keep releasing both though....

silvermercy
09-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Not sure, but this is new I think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4xGeF65iG9A#t=73

Farlander1991
09-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Nice to see a demo where somebody takes an alternative route up the fort.

pacmanate
09-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Not sure, but this is new I think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4xGeF65iG9A#t=73

Didnt post this cause we have all seen this. I think this might be the PAX demo we get next week, hoping its not.

TheDanteEX
09-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I was looking at it closer, and I believe Edward's hair turns white due to the blending effect of being in the seaweed and, strangely, under a ship. Well, I guess you can't use the term blend while hiding under a wrecked ship, but yeah.

Jexx21
09-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Meh, not as good as the open wold demo. Here we saw things which we've (mostly) already seen. Would have been more interesting had they just sailed around and showed us different kinds of islands and locations. Or maybe a sneak peak of Nassau. Getting a little sick of all the naval battles they push into every single demo.

Actually, most of the stuff we saw here was new.

Completely new:
Brawling for Tavern Access
Viewpoint Puzzles
Pirate Hunter gameplay

Never released to us from first-party:
Harpooning
Underwater gameplay

stuff we saw before:
smuggler cave

Jexx21
09-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Ah okay. Well yeah, anything but naval, sick of that water now :P even though it looks awesome. I also want them to stop showing viewpoints, we know what the **** viewpoints are! Actually ashraf called them something different in one video... a "reach high point"? Or something?

but this viewpoint was different since they put a "puzzle" in it and we didn't know about it before.

reach high point is their internal names for them.

pacmanate
09-06-2013, 06:08 PM
but this viewpoint was different since they put a "puzzle" in it and we didn't know about it before.

reach high point is their internal names for them.

Technically every viewpoint is a "puzzle". I mean come on, he climbed, shimmied to the right, climbed up, reached platform, climbed again.

Hardly a puzzle

Jexx21
09-06-2013, 06:12 PM
more of a puzzle than anything from AC3. And if they took inspiration from Far Cry 3 for this, every viewpoint should have a different puzzle unlike the other games where the viewpoints were just copies of each other unless they were landmarks. I would barely call it a "puzzle" either, but what else are we supposed to call them? Climbing challenges? The ones in Far Cry 3 weren't challenging puzzles either, but they were more fun than just climbing up a ladder.

Still, it was worth a show-off because some of us complained about it before.

TheHumanTowel
09-06-2013, 06:47 PM
It looks like a standard viewpoint to me. There have been loads of viewpoints in the series that aren't just hold "up". Nothing new about it.

pacmanate
09-06-2013, 06:48 PM
It looks like a standard viewpoint to me. There have been loads of viewpoints in the series that aren't just hold "up". Nothing new about it.

That's what I mean. There are many in AC1, AC2 had some, AC:B had some good ones.

pirate1802
09-06-2013, 07:06 PM

Just seems like marketing gimmick to me.

Wolfmeister1010
09-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Edwards hair underwater does look white but I think its just the colour style underwater. Either way, the underwater looks way better than I thought it did. Also, people did react, there were people running away in the distance.

This! Personally, I hate this, and removing the HUD icons that tell me when someone/thing will attack could add a layer of difficulty to the game. However, in past AC games, if you wanted this to happen you would have to completely remove the SSI. This means that you would never know if a guards yellow/red detection meter was filling up which was just annoying.

I hope they added a HUD option to remove the attacking icons but keep the SSI icons in tact.

This. We've seen 5 demos now? Or there about. Every one has 1 too many minutes of naval, and its always the same. You are just sailing or fighting (not much you can do on a ship really). But we dont need to see it all the time. I also mentioned this in another thread.

Thing is with AC3 is that when Naval got shown I was pretty excited (and it did turn out well). The problem however was that they showed it off way to much that I actually got naval fatigue.

I get this is a pirate game, but we already saw a bunch of naval for AC3 and a bunch of naval for AC4 (yes fair enough you can trajectory aim and all that seemless stuff, but who doesn't know that now?).

The PAX demo is coming out next week according to Ashraf on twitter. Not sure if this means that mission with the cutscene and grandmaster templar, which I hope its not, or if its the jungle one, which I hope it is.

If they show anything from now it needs to be something not including naval.

edward's hair turns white (as well as the rest of his body) when he is hidden underwater. notice how he turns white when he hides in the seaweed and goes under the boat. the general AC "blending" color change occurs, just like how ezio turned grey when in groups.

Sushiglutton
09-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Think this reinforces what has been shown before. The world is truly amazing, stunning. The gameplay is not good enough though sadly.

Shahkulu101
09-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Think this reinforces what has been shown before. The world is truly amazing, stunning. The gameplay is not good enough though sadly.

It is certainly on par with previous AC's from what we've seen, to me it looks better. Why are you all of a sudden being all dramatic? I could understand if this looked a massive backstep for the franchise but it looks to me that it's moving the series forward in terms of the core elements.

Sushiglutton
09-06-2013, 08:58 PM
It is certainly on par with previous AC's from what we've seen, to me it looks better. Why are you all of a sudden being all dramatic? I could understand if this looked a massive backstep for the franchise but it looks to me that it's moving the series forward in terms of the core elements.

Agree it doesn't look worse than previous games. It looks pretty much exactly like AC3 which is very disapointing.

projectpat06
09-06-2013, 09:00 PM
I still don't understand how they are dictating when edward has his hood up/down. I get that he puts it on when he goes into a restricted zone, but we've seen him with his hood on outside of restricted zones. We've also seem him pilot the ship with it up, and other times with it down. Both happen in this video. Anyone have a clue?? Can't we just have a hood toggle?

Shahkulu101
09-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Agree it doesn't look worse than previous games. It looks pretty much exactly like AC3 which is very disapointing.

I know right. What with all the pirating, undewater segments, harpooning, smugglers caves, bar fights, free aiming system, naval forts plantations and probably a ton of other stuff yet to be announced.

Sushiglutton
09-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I know right. What with all the pirating, undewater segments, harpooning, smugglers caves, bar fights, free aiming system, naval forts plantations and probably a ton of other stuff yet to be announced.

Weird comment, you seem to have trouble differentiating between gameplay mechanics and visual presentation. I was refering to the core mechanics, you know the ones that can be compared between the two games (naval, freerunning, combat, stealth). In this vid they primarily demonstrated combat, which I think looks too simplistic and shallow. It's especially odd in the cave sequences where Edward is unarmed which doesn't seem to affect combat at all. Barfight looks so easy it becomes meaningless.

Harpooning looks like another one of those gamey, unnatural and clunky mini-games Ubi loves making for whatever reason. Ok first time, not so much the second.

Azurefeatherfly
09-06-2013, 09:18 PM

Look at what Rocksteady did with combat in two games, and compare that to Assassin's Creed with a total of six iterations. Combat should be one of the most enjoyable activities, but it can become such a drag by the 100th time when it should still be fun by the 1000th time.

Sushiglutton
09-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Look at what Rocksteady did with combat in two games, and compare that two Assassin's Creed with a total of six iterations.

For Asylum Rocksteady had around 60 devs and the game took 21 months to complete (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_Asylum). Assassin's Creed has 500-1000 developers working on each game with a two year developing cycle. It's amazing how Rocksteady can demolish Ubi both in terms of stealth and combat gameplay. It's clearly a case where talent beats money.

ACRules2
09-06-2013, 09:22 PM
This just keeps getting better and better. I am really looking forwards to the stealth in this game. Or, more rather, I am looking forwards to the whole game!

Shahkulu101
09-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Weird comment, you seem to have trouble differentiating between gameplay mechanics and visual presentation. I was refering to the core mechanics, you know the ones that can be compared between the two games (naval, freerunning, combat, stealth). In this vid they primarily demonstrated combat, which I think looks too simplistic and shallow. It's especially odd in the cave sequences where Edward is unarmed which doesn't seem to affect combat at all. Barfight looks so easy it becomes meaningless.

Harpooning looks like another one of those gamey, unnatural and clunky mini-games Ubi loves making for whatever reason. Ok first time, not so much the second.

I can symaphise I suppose, with stealth they seem to have implemented a lot more points where you can utilize it -- yet it has only slightly improved. About freerunning: what exactly could they implement at this point that's going to be innovative anyway, there aren't really any improvements to be made the way I see it.

But you're wrong about naval, it's changed a whole lot for AC4. There is a new trajectory aiming system, new attacking mechanisms like mortars, manually controlled swivel guns (it appears we can shoot fire from them as well) and a crew to recruit and look after, the storms also pose a real threat to you and your crew.

I agree with combat, too easy and not much changed. But, I think they are actually doing a swell job enhancing the core elements -- they're bringing it back to it's roots and then some. Look out for Toronto's AC5, I imagine that will be the big jump in quality you're after -- since with AC4 they are going nowhere but the right direction.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-06-2013, 09:38 PM
"Let's get rid of notoriety...and let's put it in the ocean and force ship battles if you go on a killing and looting spree!!!"
Awesome idea -_-
"Also let's turn harpooning into a darts mini game where it's insanely easy for you to die!"
AC IV looks very stressful to me...
I don't like :(

LoyalACFan
09-06-2013, 09:43 PM
"Let's get rid of notoriety...and let's put it in the ocean and force ship battles if you go on a killing and looting spree!!!"
Awesome idea -_-
"Also let's turn harpooning into a darts mini game where it's insanely easy for you to die!"

Not stressful- just requiring player input...

fightinTXaggie
09-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Awesome idea -_-

So let me get this straight.

You think privateers coming after a pirate who has been terrorizing the area isn't a good idea?

And would you prefer a darts mini game where it's so easy not to die, it becomes boring?

pacmanate
09-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Awesome idea -_-

I like the ships coming after you. Its just like the bounty system in Red Dead, and it makes sense. You think you can go on a killing a looting spree and nothing will happen? Come on.

As for harpooning, whats wrong with it? Essentially it is darts anyway, you are throwing a harpoon.

Sushiglutton
09-06-2013, 11:36 PM
I can symaphise I suppose, with stealth they seem to have implemented a lot more points where you can utilize it -- yet it has only slightly improved. About freerunning: what exactly could they implement at this point that's going to be innovative anyway, there aren't really any improvements to be made the way I see it.

But you're wrong about naval, it's changed a whole lot for AC4. There is a new trajectory aiming system, new attacking mechanisms like mortars, manually controlled swivel guns (it appears we can shoot fire from them as well) and a crew to recruit and look after, the storms also pose a real threat to you and your crew.

I agree with combat, too easy and not much changed. But, I think they are actually doing a swell job enhancing the core elements -- they're bringing it back to it's roots and then some. Look out for Toronto's AC5, I imagine that will be the big jump in quality you're after -- since with AC4 they are going nowhere but the right direction.

You are right that the direction they have taken freerunning (aka fully automatic) is a bit of a dead end. Basically you just hold the stick in the direction you want to go and then the game does the rest by calculating the correct move based on the obstacle ahead of you. I would love if they made it more interactive so that you had a few moves to choose from that yoiu could execute by tapping. Something as similar as Sleeping Dog would be ok (with AC quality climbing) or Mirror's Edge type freerunning if they want to go a bit more complex.

Stealh is weird. It seems like they have tried to improve it by adding all kinds of mechanics from various games. I'm sceptical if they AI has actually been improved though. Will have to play to know for sure.

You are right naval is the system they seem to have worked on the most. I like free aimining swivel guns and the new weapon types.

It's weird because Ubi Montreal probably has more experience with melee combat than almost any other studio with all the AC games and PoP. And yet they seem to lack talent to create good systems. If they after ten games create the combat in AC4, I really don't know what to say tbh. Very odd to me.

Wolfmeister1010
09-07-2013, 12:16 AM
You are right that the direction they have taken freerunning (aka fully automatic) is a bit of a dead end. Basically you just hold the stick in the direction you want to go and then the game does the rest by calculating the correct move based on the obstacle ahead of you. I would love if they made it more interactive so that you had a few moves to choose from that yoiu could execute by tapping. Something as similar as Sleeping Dog would be ok (with AC quality climbing) or Mirror's Edge type freerunning if they want to go a bit more complex.

Stealh is weird. It seems like they have tried to improve it by adding all kinds of mechanics from various games. I'm sceptical if they AI has actually been improved though. Will have to play to know for sure.

You are right naval is the system they seem to have worked on the most. I like free aimining swivel guns and the new weapon types.

It's weird because Ubi Montreal probably has more experience with melee combat than almost any other studio with all the AC games and PoP. And yet they seem to lack talent to create good systems. If they after ten games create the combat in AC4, I really don't know what to say tbh. Very odd to me.
I talked to darby, and he said thatwhile the combat may not be extremely difficult, it is enternaining to seasoned players. They said it will be FUN, and that they are tired of hearing seasoned players complain because they dont die in combat.

New mechanics arent the only things they added. Have you not noticed how the guards no longer detect you if you air assassinate near them? Or how running assassinations dont automatically compromise you? They are much more realistically lenient. As far as i can tell, they are doing stealth perfectly, if they add too many mechanics, it will get overcomplicated. They have assured us thT stealth is fun, important, not too difficult but still a fun challenge, and promoted in the game.cso im not sure what you mean by saying stealth is weird. But as i recall, you are one of the people who dont like to watch the videos for fear of spoiling. So just take our word for it.

As for freerunning, not to sound mean, but you are a minority. Most people, gamers and critic alike, have praised the new freerunning system, due to its simplification, vaulting, and how the new simplified controls prevent not so hardcore AC players from falling to a frustrating death. It is no something they will likely change anytime soon.

Azurefeatherfly
09-07-2013, 12:59 AM
I talked to darby, and he said thatwhile the combat may not be extremely difficult, it is enternaining to seasoned players. They said it will be FUN, and that they are tired of hearing seasoned players complain because they dont die in combat.

Difficulty Settings, I really do not understand why they have to be so stubborn about this.

Combat by itself is the concept of the game attempting to kill you, this is the same for every game from FPS to RPGs. If it does not pose enough danger, then what is the point of health bars, weapons and tools, and the ability to fight and defend yourself? What would be the point of stronger equipment, upgrades, and character modifications?

Past AC games have killed players more times with Fall Damage than with Combat. Fall Damage is more lethal and deadly than Combat, that defies all common sense.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-07-2013, 01:11 AM
I like the ships coming after you. Its just like the bounty system in Red Dead, and it makes sense. You think you can go on a killing a looting spree and nothing will happen? Come on.

As for harpooning, whats wrong with it? Essentially it is darts anyway, you are throwing a harpoon.

I'd much rather have the notoriety on land than sea..I love combat in AC games...I hateeee ship battles. This is encouraging me to fast travel the entire game. -_-
The harpooning I don't mind that much since it is an optional way to make money and get items for crafting like hunting in AC 3
I have a feeling I will skip this feature if the big guys are hard to kill..and by hard i dont mean length i mean 1 wrong move and you desync lol...let me make a mistake like 100 times :D
Assassins Creed is my home away from home...It's a virtual world...I dont want it to turn into a video game :'(

STDlyMcStudpants
09-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Past AC games have killed players more times with Fall Damage than with Combat. Fall Damage is more lethal and deadly than Combat, that defies all common sense.

Really? Go ask a stranger to punch your face...then go jump off of 4 story building...come back and tell me which one killed you lol

Shahkulu101
09-07-2013, 01:19 AM
I'd much rather have the notoriety on land than sea..I love combat in AC games...I hateeee ship battles. This is encouraging me to fast travel the entire game. -_-
The harpooning I don't mind that much since it is an optional way to make money and get items for crafting like hunting in AC 3
I have a feeling I will skip this feature if the big guys are hard to kill..and by hard i dont mean length i mean 1 wrong move and you desync lol...let me make a mistake like 100 times :D
Assassins Creed is my home away from home...It's a virtual world...I dont want it to turn into a video game :'(

I think my head imploded upon reading your last sentence.

Azurefeatherfly
09-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Really? Go ask a stranger to punch your face...then go jump off of 4 story building...come back and tell me which one killed you lol

From a game design perspective, does it make any sense that climbing viewpoints is more dangerous than fighting guards strictly created to kill the player character?

At the end of the game, should the pavement be scarier than the final boss? That is what AC2 and ACB were, Rodrigo combined with his son were nothing compared to not seeing the hay bale and accidentally jumping off the wrong side of the building.

Wolfmeister1010
09-07-2013, 01:46 AM
Difficulty Settings, I really do not understand why they have to be so stubborn about this.

Combat by itself is the concept of the game attempting to kill you, this is the same for every game from FPS to RPGs. If it does not pose enough danger, then what is the point of health bars, weapons and tools, and the ability to fight and defend yourself? What would be the point of stronger equipment, upgrades, and character modifications?

If you die from fall damage, then you suck at AC. No offense. I have never died from falling in any AC game. Do i sometimes jump from too high and sustain damage? Yes, but i do that on purpose, and its not a lot of damage

Wolfmeister1010
09-07-2013, 01:47 AM
From a game design perspective, does it make any sense that climbing viewpoints is more dangerous than fighting guards strictly created to kill the player character?

At the end of the game, should the pavement be scarier than the final boss? That is what AC2 and ACB were, Rodrigo combined with his son were nothing compared to not seeing the hay bale and accidentally jumping off the wrong side of the building.
Lol you really do suck XD

Azurefeatherfly
09-07-2013, 01:54 AM
If you die from fall damage, then you suck at AC. No offense. I have never died from falling in any AC game

Lol you really do suck XD

When did I say I died from fall damage? Please, please, please, please tell me where I stated myself dying from fall damage while playing the game.

You do not know me, SO DO NOT EVER ASSUME ANYTHING ABOUT ME THAT I HAVE NOT TOLD YOU EVER AGAIN.

I AM A FAN OF THE FRANCHISE AND AS SUCH I LIKE TO WATCH PEOPLE SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE OF THE AC GAMES THROUGH LET'S PLAYS AND PLAYTHROUGH. I HAVE SEEN FALL DAMAGE MANY, MANY TIMES.

roostersrule2
09-07-2013, 01:56 AM
If you die from fall damage, then you suck at AC. No offense. I have never died from falling in any AC game. Do i sometimes jump from too high and sustain damage? Yes, but i do that on purpose, and its not a lot of damageI do it all the time, well not all the time but the amount of deaths I have from falling is double the amount from combat.

fightinTXaggie
09-07-2013, 01:57 AM

It is more reasonable to assume that happened to you after reading that line, than to assume it didn't.

Shahkulu101
09-07-2013, 01:58 AM
When did I say I died from fall damage? Please, please, please, please tell me where I stated myself dying from fall damage while playing the game.

You do not know me, SO DO NOT EVER ASSUME ANYTHING ABOUT ME THAT I HAVE NOT TOLD YOU EVER AGAIN.

I AM A FAN OF THE FRANCHISE AND AS SUCH I LIKE TO WATCH PEOPLE SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE OF THE AC GAMES THROUGH LET'S PLAYS AND PLAYTHROUGH. I HAVE SEEN FALL DAMAGE MANY, MANY TIMES.

Lol cool down

Wolfmeister1010
09-07-2013, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by you: "were nothing compared to not seeing the hay bale and accidentally jumping off the wrong side of the building."

Sooo, yeah. How bout before you go all christian bale on me, how bout you read over your own damn posts.

Jexx21
09-07-2013, 02:03 AM
Uh.. Wolf, you were too harsh and Azure had a severe over-reaction.

"lol you suck" doesn't make anyone feel good.

Wolfmeister1010
09-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Uh.. Wolf, you were too harsh and Azure had a severe over-reaction.

"lol you suck" doesn't make anyone feel good.

I was pretty harsh yeah. But i hate it when people continue to complain about combat. Combat was never intended to be really difficult. It was meant to be fun and entertaining. something both darby and ash have told me personally.

Azurefeatherfly
09-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by you: "were nothing compared to not seeing the hay bale and accidentally jumping off the wrong side of the building."

Sooo, yeah. How bout before you go all christian bale on me, how bout you read over your own damn posts.

Last time, do not assume.

I have seen Let's Pay with commentary that the Let's Player said he did not see the hay bale. Multiple playthoughs but since you like telling people they suck I would not want to disclose their names.

Wolfmeister1010
09-07-2013, 02:13 AM
Last time, do not assume.

I have seen Let's Pay with commentary that the Let's Player said he did not see the hay bale. Multiple playthoughs but since you like telling people they suck I would not want to disclose their names.

And i would know this how? Maybe you should base your opinion of a game and its features on YOUR experience...not from a youtube video of someone who has trouble with the controls. He didnt see the hay bale? thats his own damn fault. you should always be looking around to see what can and cant kill you. Maybe YOU should not assume. I have seen a bunch of AC4 demos with hilariously bad players, and rest of the forum knows what i am talking about. She fell every single time she tried to jump across a gap. Do i assume that this means that fall damage kills twice as much as combat? No. I base it on MY experience.

And last time? What are you going to do? Report me? You are the one who had the tantrum of the century. I dont like telling people that they suck. Im just tired of people *****ing about the same thing over and over and over again.

Jexx21
09-07-2013, 02:14 AM
I was pretty harsh yeah. But i hate it when people continue to complain about combat. Combat was never intended to be really difficult. It was meant to be fun and entertaining. something both darby and ash have told me personally.

I never argued about that.

I think people expect too much challenge from this series when this series shouldn't really be challenging at all in my opinion.

What matters is that it appears that you are more easily damaged in Black Flag by sword strikes, it looked like a third of Edward's health bar was taken down in a fight in one of the videos we saw, and he had armor on.

The danger in smuggler's caves probably isn't the fact that you lack weapons, but the fact that if you get into a serious fight you'll probably die fast.

Wolfmeister1010
09-07-2013, 02:17 AM
I never argued about that.

I think people expect too much challenge from this series when this series shouldn't really be challenging at all in my opinion.

What matters is that it appears that you are more easily damaged in Black Flag by sword strikes, it looked like a third of Edward's health bar was taken down in a fight in one of the videos we saw, and he had armor on.

The danger in smuggler's caves probably isn't the fact that you lack weapons, but the fact that if you get into a serious fight you'll probably die fast.

Thank you! Someone who understands. AC was never about difficulty. It is about building a huge, blossoming world filled with opportunities and beautiful environments. Something they have done well in every single one of their games.

And i wasnt refering to you. I was refering to that guy i was arguing with.

Azurefeatherfly
09-07-2013, 02:35 AM
And last time? What are you going to do? Report me? You are the one who had the tantrum of the century. I dont like telling people that they suck. Im just tired of people *****ing about the same thing over and over and over again.

I joined in 2010, I made one thread of criticism regarding the trees in AC3 and another one just today regarding combat. That is all the criticism I have ever given to this series using thread tropics, you can check my profile. I am also not one of those people who came on here last year to moan and complain all day everyday about AC3. I actually got fed up with all the negativity last year around AC3 that I stayed way for almost one year.

I did not know you were sick of complaints, all did was speak my mind and never had any malicious intent towards you even when I blew up. I got sick of all the insults and sarcasm that got throw at people for the mere act of criticism at AC3 last year.

I did blow up and you have my sincere apologies for overreacting.

pirate1802
09-07-2013, 02:37 AM

Wut??

projectpat06
09-07-2013, 02:39 AM

I'm pretty sure we'll still have the notoriety on land. The land based gameplay is 60% of the game so I would imagine it being there still. The sea based notoriety is there to show that once you leave a city after all your pirating and assassinating (or from your actions at sea), they will send bounty hunters after you.

And I would say skip this game and wait for next year if you hate ship battles.

Jexx21
09-07-2013, 02:43 AM
I'm pretty sure we'll still have the notoriety on land. The land based gameplay is 60% of the game so I would imagine it being there still. The sea based notoriety is there to show that once you leave a city after all your pirating and assassinating (or from your actions at sea), they will send bounty hunters after you.

And I would say skip this game and wait for next year if you hate ship battles.

Nah, Ash confirmed a while back that the notoriety system wasn't on land and when I asked if pirate hunters came after us in the cities he said no.

Wolfmeister1010
09-07-2013, 02:51 AM
I joined in 2010, I made one thread of criticism regarding the trees in AC3 and another one just today regarding combat. That is all the criticism I have ever given to this series using thread tropics, you can check my profile. I am also not one of those people who came on here last year to moan and complain all day everyday about AC3. I actually got fed up with all the negativity last year around AC3 that I stayed way for almost one year.

I did not know you were sick of complaints, all did was speak my mind and never had any malicious intent towards you even when I blew up. I got sick of all the insults and sarcasm that got throw at people for the mere act of criticism at AC3 last year.

I did blow up and you have my sincere apologies for overreacting.

And i apologize for reacting in the way i did. Lets agree to disagree, and hug and get over it:)

pacmanate
09-07-2013, 09:37 AM

But it... nevermind...

Haha! Bale. That's funny cause... bale of hay... cause leap of faith

*runs away*

MadJC1986
09-07-2013, 10:28 AM
I really wonder how harpooning will work out when your target is a blue whale. I mean, wouldn't a big whale just smash you and your sweet little boat if it gets angry?!

AssassinKen2011
09-07-2013, 11:30 AM
I think there's a screenshot that shows that when you're "whaling" you stay on the jackdaw. Could anyone post this? Could be completely wrong, of course.

AnthonyA85
09-07-2013, 05:17 PM
I really wonder how harpooning will work out when your target is a blue whale. I mean, wouldn't a big whale just smash you and your sweet little boat if it gets angry?!

At the very least, we'll get to replay that classic scene from Moby ****, where Ahab gets taken out :P

Though you do have a point, i wouldn't like to be in a tiny little wooden boat with a pissed off whale swimming around.

Rugterwyper32
09-07-2013, 05:47 PM

It's obviously be like the fight against Del Lago in Resident Evil 4, with cutting the rope at the end before it drags you down with it and you drown through quicktime even you weren't expecting.

Coltillion
09-07-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm unimpressed. Combat looks both buggy and choppy.
Harpooning seems alright.
Edward's fist animations are the same as Connor's. Placeholders? This soon before the game's release?

pacmanate
09-07-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm unimpressed. Combat looks both buggy and choppy.
Harpooning seems alright.
Edward's fist animations are the same as Connor's. Placeholders? This soon before the game's release?

No they will stay in. These games were made almost side by side for at least a year so they will have similarities. However its good not everything is the same.

Edward has new Free running animations, a new running animation and a new walk animation. This is stuff I wanted changing and I am glad they did. As for things like the fist animations, I know what you mean, its kinda weird seeing 3 different characters with the same "fight style" as you will, but from a development standpoint its just not practical to redo everything in 2 years. Especially when One of those years overlapped with AC3 so they took stuff from that (like Naval).

Coltillion
09-07-2013, 06:58 PM
No they will stay in. These games were made almost side by side for at least a year so they will have similarities. However its good not everything is the same.

Edward has new Free running animations, a new running animation and a new walk animation. This is stuff I wanted changing and I am glad they did. As for things like the fist animations, I know what you mean, its kinda weird seeing 3 different characters with the same "fight style" as you will, but from a development standpoint its just not practical to redo everything in 2 years. Especially when One of those years overlapped with AC3 so they took stuff from that (like Naval).

Then Darby lied to us? He said he wanted this to feel like an entirely new game, and not just some spinoff. Sure, aesthetics may be different, setting and all, but if gameplay is essentially the same (which has plagued the AC series) what's the point of getting this is you already have AC3.

silvermercy
09-07-2013, 07:08 PM
what's the point of getting this is you already have AC3.
The different STORY for starters??

Coltillion
09-07-2013, 07:18 PM
The different STORY for starters??

You can watch someone play the reskinned game on Youtube to get the story, which will be shorter and subpar, according to Ashraf.

pacmanate
09-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Then Darby lied to us? He said he wanted this to feel like an entirely new game, and not just some spinoff. Sure, aesthetics may be different, setting and all, but if gameplay is essentially the same (which has plagued the AC series) what's the point of getting this is you already have AC3.

Gameplay isn't the same:

1. Improved Guard Detection
2. Guard placement to improve stealth
3. Stealth Mechanics
4. You can shoot from a hide spot without getting up for increased stealth
5. Underwater gameplay
6. New Running/Walking/Free Running/fighting animations
7. Trajectory Aiming on ships
8. Seemlessness
9. Ship Boarding
10. Increased Guard aggression
11. Can die in a few sniper shots for harder difficulty
12. Slower health regeneration to increase stealth

There are more, but those are 12 important ones. You cant say the gameplay is the same because it isn't. Also, why get this game if you have AC3?:

1. All the 12 above points + more
2. New Story
3. New Setting
4. New Character

silvermercy
09-07-2013, 07:26 PM
^ Yes. What pac said.

Coltillion
09-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Gameplay isn't the same:

3. Stealth Mechanics
5. Underwater gameplay
6. New Running/Walking/Free Running/fighting animations
8. Seemlessness
9. Ship Boarding
11. Can die in a few sniper shots for harder difficulty

There are more, but those are 12 important ones. You cant say the gameplay is the same because it isn't. Also, why get this game if you have AC3?:

1. All the 12 above points + more
2. New Story
3. New Setting
4. New Character

Assassin's Creed III promised a lot of the same, and see how that turned out. From what I've seen, guard detection and A.I. is the same. They can't look up, and they're deaf as bats.
Trajectory is a step back, as cannonballs going into waves in AC3 made you feel some sense of failure when you didn't aim properly.
The fact is, all these promises are being made, but none of them will fit together. It'll be a big mess like AC3. This series needs a break, or some serious retirement.

pacmanate
09-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Assassin's Creed III promised a lot of the same, and see how that turned out. From what I've seen, guard detection and A.I. is the same. They can't look up, and they're deaf as bats.
Trajectory is a step back, as cannonballs going into waves in AC3 made you feel some sense of failure when you didn't aim properly.
The fact is, all these promises are being made, but none of them will fit together. It'll be a big mess like AC3. This series needs a break, or some serious retirement.

AC3 promised none of that stuff.

pacmanate
09-07-2013, 07:36 PM

AC3 never promised:

3. Stealth Mechanics
5. Underwater gameplay
6. New Running/Walking/Free Running/fighting animations (Never promised, but delivered)
8. Seemlessness
9. Ship Boarding
11. Can die in a few sniper shots for harder difficulty (Never really promised this, they just said in AC3 you would take more damage for shots that previous games which was true)

From all these things they have said, we have seen. Some stuff they said they cant even backtrack on. If they said they placed guards for stealth purposes, then they did. You cant go half way through development and just place them anywhere, those things dont work like that.

x___Luffy___x
09-07-2013, 07:38 PM

bats are not deaf actually.

Coltillion
09-07-2013, 07:40 PM
AC3 never promised:

3. Stealth Mechanics
5. Underwater gameplay
6. New Running/Walking/Free Running/fighting animations (Never promised, but delivered)
8. Seemlessness
9. Ship Boarding
11. Can die in a few sniper shots for harder difficulty (Never really promised this, they just said in AC3 you would take more damage for shots that previous games which was true)

You should know that I didn't mean they promised literally all of that. I mean AC3 made many promises regarding gameplay and general stuff like that and Ubisoft never came through with it, why should AC4 be any different? Also, musket shots were harmless. I get shot by a firing line full on, and every ball hits me, barely a fraction of my health is gone.
They also promised sailing freely on the high seas, and never recanted this even when they knew it wasn't. This implied you could board other ships as well, due to the E3 video.

pacmanate
09-07-2013, 07:48 PM
You should know that I didn't mean they promised literally all of that. I mean AC3 made many promises regarding gameplay and general stuff like that and Ubisoft never came through with it, why should AC4 be any different? Also, musket shots were harmless. I get shot by a firing line full on, and every ball hits me, barely a fraction of my health is gone.
They also promised sailing freely on the high seas, and never recanted this even when they knew it wasn't. This implied you could board other ships as well, due to the E3 video.

AC3 made promises. Promises we never saw. Everything/Near everything I listed has been promised for AC4 and at the same time has been showcased to us.

Coltillion
09-07-2013, 07:54 PM
AC3 made promises. Promises we never saw. Everything/Near everything I listed has been promised for AC4 and at the same time has been showcased to us.

On set demos, perhaps in the least complicated areas so the showcaser doesn't fail and shows off a bug, which happened in the recent footage.

pacmanate
09-07-2013, 08:03 PM
On set demos, perhaps in the least complicated areas so the showcaser doesn't fail and shows off a bug, which happened in the recent footage.

What bug in recent footage?

ACfan443
09-07-2013, 08:24 PM
AC3 never promised:

Actually, it was promised. You can't possibly forget how much the devs boasted about Connor having a completely new set of animations, and then people complaining about their dishonesty because the tomahawk bore rehashed Ezio dagger kill animations.

Jexx21
09-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Actually, it was promised. You can't possibly forget how much the devs boasted about Connor having a completely new set of animations, and then people complaining about their dishonesty because the tomahawk bore rehashed Ezio dagger kill animations.
what? they reused dagger kill animations? For what? the tomahawk? that doesn't even make sense and I didn't even see this.

pacmanate
09-07-2013, 08:31 PM

Oh yeah, well they delivered then. And what Ezio dagger animations?

LoyalACFan
09-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Oh yeah, well they delivered then. And what Ezio dagger animations?

Two killstreak animations; one where he digs it into their neck and slings them sideways, and the one where he hacks their chest twice. TECHNICALLY they're different animations since he holds the weapon differently, but they're the same exact moves Ezio did in ACB. Not really that big of a deal since basically everything else was new, but they did look a bit silly IMO.

AssassinGame1
09-07-2013, 10:13 PM
This game looks epic. I can imagine the Caribbean looking like this.

pacmanate
09-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Two killstreak animations; one where he digs it into their neck and slings them sideways, and the one where he hacks their chest twice. TECHNICALLY they're different animations since he holds the weapon differently, but they're the same exact moves Ezio did in ACB. Not really that big of a deal since basically everything else was new, but they did look a bit silly IMO.

Ah yeah, well they were slightly different, and least it wasnt a total copy paste.

pirate1802
09-08-2013, 04:01 AM
At the very least, we'll get to replay that classic scene from Moby ****, where Ahab gets taken out :P

Though you do have a point, i wouldn't like to be in a tiny little wooden boat with a pissed off whale swimming around.

I'd totally reenact that scene if I see a blue whale!

roostersrule2
09-08-2013, 04:39 AM
I'd totally reenact that scene if I see a blue whale!Homicidal junkie

Rugterwyper32
09-08-2013, 05:11 AM
I'd totally reenact that scene if I see a blue whale!

SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER
WHEN YOU SEE THE WHITE WHALE
BREAK YOUR BACKS AND CRACK YOUR OARS MEN
IF YOU WISH TO PREVAIL

WHITE! WHALE!
HOLY! GRAIL!

Sorry been listening to Mastodon again lately I just felt the need to do that

pirate1802
09-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Homicidal junkie

no u

roostersrule2