PDA

View Full Version : AC4: Black Flag Interview with Darby (Parrots, Hooks, and why Piracy)

pacmanate
09-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Personally I think this is a great interview. The bulk of this interview is about why Darby chose pirates/the research he has done/parrots and hooks etc. He also mentions how he realised that all past AC games dealt with upper class type people and now it deals with middle class which is a nice contrast. He also talks about Havana and how it was made by the guy who designed Venice and Constantinople. They have put in a lot of snipers that will kill you instantly, removed the Brotherhood mechanic as Darby said it was basically an easy way out of a massive fight and took away stealth elements.

Revived things from past games like mercs (drunk pirates) and courtesans (dancers), put back open assassination missions. They went back to AC1 and AC2 to refine the "Assassin" part, and integrate Pirates into the world.

By the end of Sequence 2, you should feel like the set up for the story is good and that you will want to finish the game.

Tweaked guard AI so they are aggressive but can lose sight of you when you get stealthy again. Snipers kill in a few shots, alarm bells alert everyone. You can whistle from pretty much every hide spot. He can shoot his blowpipe and gun from a crouched position in hiding zones (In AC3 Connor would stand up).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWJqytj_kts&feature=youtu.be

Farlander1991
09-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks for sharing!

Shahkulu101
09-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Cheers. I'll find time to view this later. :)

ladyleonhart
09-03-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure about viewing it, but thank you for the summary. :)

Then, I've already given in and I'm ready to fly the Black Flag. ;)

Long live "Pirate's Creed!" :p

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 07:11 PM
You misquoted Darby. The city designer is for all three cities, not just Havana.

Oleg l Kirrlov
09-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Lol, this was the oddest interview yet, but it was good.

Shahkulu101
09-03-2013, 07:44 PM
dat 'fro bro -- nice interview, I liked it. Interesting point about the pirates being working class, it makes way for a lot more nitty gritty.

pacmanate
09-03-2013, 07:58 PM
You misquoted Darby. The city designer is for all three cities, not just Havana.

I did that on purpose so people could watch it and correct me ;)

I'm not sure about viewing it, but thank you for the summary. :)

Then, I've already given in and I'm ready to fly the Black Flag. ;)

Long live "Pirate's Creed!" :p

Not sure about viewing why? (just curious). The reason I liked this interview was because it doesnt talk about the story but is about design choices.

ladyleonhart
09-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Not sure about viewing why? (just curious). The reason I liked this interview was because it doesnt talk about the story but is about design choices.

Lol, I was just worried about spoilers. Not sure if there are some, but I think I've already seen too much and I want to get my money's worth. :p

Farlander1991
09-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Lol, I was just worried about spoilers. Not sure if there are some, but I think I've already seen too much and I want to get my money's worth. :p

Ubisoft is pretty good at keeping most of the spoilers at bay, even with all the info that they give. They managed to keep the whole Haytham section (and details about who the hell he is) under wrap for, like, the whole marketing process until the release date. That's pretty insane in our day and age, if you think about it.

ladyleonhart
09-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Ubisoft is pretty good at keeping most of the spoilers at bay, even with all the info that they give. They managed to keep the whole Haytham section (and details about who the hell he is) under wrap for, like, the whole marketing process until the release date. That's pretty insane in our day and age, if you think about it.

Okay. Thank you. :D That does reassure me. Maybe I will take a look. :)

ArabianFrost
09-03-2013, 08:40 PM

They didn't have the exclusive VIP game-spoiling "THE WATCH" back then.

Farlander1991
09-03-2013, 08:57 PM
They didn't have the exclusive VIP game-spoiling "THE WATCH" back then.

Well, I don't really follow the Watch, but what has it spoiled, really? Hornigold's allegiance? We know from history that he's going to turn against other pirates, not really a big deal, I mean, half of the community was thinking about that anyway. I can't really think of anything the Watch has really spoiled.

SixKeys
09-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Well, I don't really follow the Watch, but what has it spoiled, really? Hornigold's allegiance? We know from history that he's going to turn against other pirates, not really a big deal, I mean, half of the community was thinking about that anyway. I can't really think of anything the Watch has really spoiled.

They revealed Edward's mentor.

Farlander1991
09-03-2013, 09:16 PM

Who we'll meet near the beginning of the game anyway and is probably going to be shown in Edward's story and/or launch trailer (just like Achilles and Mario were). Unless what he does or what happens to him is as important as Haytham or his plot twist, I deem that as acceptable. Though I guess some would like to not know who Edward's mentor is until they play the game.

pacmanate
09-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Who we'll meet near the beginning of the game anyway and is probably going to be shown in Edward's story and/or launch trailer (just like Achilles and Mario were). Unless what he does or what happens to him is as important as Haytham or his plot twist, I deem that as acceptable. Though I guess some would like to not know who Edward's mentor is until they play the game.

To me it doesnt make a difference. All I know is what he kind of looks like, I don't know anything about the role he plays so Im cool with it.

Hans684
09-03-2013, 09:22 PM

They did tease Haytham with one picture and once in the lunch trailer.

LoyalACFan
09-03-2013, 09:25 PM
They did tease Haytham with one picture and once in the launch trailer.

I thought those were supposed to be an older Connor when I first saw them though ;) Haytham had awfully dark skin for an Englishman.

ladyleonhart
09-03-2013, 09:30 PM
I thought those were supposed to be an older Connor when I first saw them though ;) Haytham had awfully dark skin for an Englishman.

Maybe he got a tan. ;)

pacmanate
09-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Maybe he got a tan. ;)

;)

robinthefactory
09-03-2013, 09:33 PM

By reveal you mean name or just appearance?

Farlander1991
09-03-2013, 09:39 PM
They did tease Haytham with one picture and once in the lunch trailer.

Yeah, but the picture one was pretty confusing (and indeed seemed like older Connor), while the launch trailer one was one quick shot of him falling from a horse in a Redcoat suit. You really don't think of him as any important character there, and barely pay any meaningful attention to him.

SixKeys
09-03-2013, 10:18 PM
By reveal you mean name or just appearance?

Both, I think. They told about his Mayan roots and pretty much explained exactly how Edward gets recruited to the assassins. I would have preferred them to keep that under wraps until the game comes out.

Serrachio
09-03-2013, 10:59 PM
It seems to me as they're getting further towards the release of Black Flag that they've took out gameplay elements of Assassin's Creed III: Liberation and are touting them as something spectacular and never been done before... which it clearly has, in Liberation.

For instance, "Oh my god! Edward has a blowpipe! That's so revolutionary and new and great!"

I don't hate some of the changes, but at least credit them accordingly. I don't need unnecessary hype for the game, I'm already going to buy it. Personally, I believe the blowpipe's inclusion is a resulting factor of the Aveline memories that are exclusive to Sony, and they're trying to give other players some experience with the mechanic.

Now if only I could cross-play Liberation on my PS4 when I buy it. We could finally get some crisp, high quality screenshots for the AC Wiki.

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Actually, this time the guards hit by the sleeping dart wake up and don't just get knocked out.

I actually believe more that there are Aveline missions because the blowpipe is present. Any they don't act like the blowpipe is revolutionary, they are just showing it off as a new weapon, which it is pretty much, seeing as Liberation was Vita only.

ze_topazio
09-03-2013, 11:30 PM
It seems to me as they're getting further towards the release of Black Flag that they've took out gameplay elements of Assassin's Creed III: Liberation and are touting them as something spectacular and never been done before... which it clearly has, in Liberation.

For instance, "Oh my god! Edward has a blowpipe! That's so revolutionary and new and great!"

I don't hate some of the changes, but at least credit them accordingly. I don't need unnecessary hype for the game, I'm already going to buy it. Personally, I believe the blowpipe's inclusion is a resulting factor of the Aveline memories that are exclusive to Sony, and they're trying to give other players some experience with the mechanic.

Now if only I could cross-play Liberation on my PS4 when I buy it. We could finally get some crisp, high quality screenshots for the AC Wiki.

Reminds me how Metal Gear Solid 4 got all the credit for introducing a 3D camera in the series even though the 3D camera was first introduced in the special edition of MGS3 and used again in MGS Portable Ops two years or so before MGS4.

Serrachio
09-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Actually, this time the guards hit by the sleeping dart wake up and don't just get knocked out.

I actually believe more that there are Aveline missions because the blowpipe is present. Any they don't act like the blowpipe is revolutionary, they are just showing it off as a new weapon, which it is pretty much, seeing as Liberation was Vita only.

No-one mentioned sleep darts.

And the Aveline missions are present because Ubisoft and Sony has an arrangement which introduced her to the series, and they're keeping her exclusive to the console by continuing with her in Black Flag. Since she uses a blowpipe and she has planned memories, they're borrowing her weapon mechanic and giving it to Edward so he has a long-range silent weapon like Ezio had the crossbow and Connor had the bow.

Adding to this, the only reason why Aveline wasn't as well known initially was because they synchronized Liberation's release date with Assassin's Creed III's, but that's no excuse for them not to credit the blowpipe to Liberation. They haven't done so because they want to make Black Flag sound more amazing because everyone gets a "new weapon".

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 11:56 PM
You mentioned the blowpipe. That includes sleep darts and berserk darts. Technically, Liberation only had one of those Berserk darts, the other were just normal poison darts.

I played Liberation before I played AC3. I know the blowpipe isn't really new. But it is new to the main market.

And I know why there are Aveline missions for the sony consoles, I was saying it would be more likely that the Aveline missions are in the game because they decided to use the blowpipe rather than the blowpipe being in the game because the Aveline missions are in it.

Shahkulu101
09-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Whether it's new or not I'm excited for the blowpipe. I didn't know it was in Liberation so I guess I'm part of the demographic they were aiming for. A small fib really, they've done worse -- broke promises even.

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't call it a lie though anyway. Because even with Liberation existing, it's still a relatively new weapon.

Shahkulu101
09-04-2013, 12:09 AM
I wouldn't call it a lie though anyway. Because even with Liberation existing, it's still a relatively new weapon.

It's not such a big deal to me either. It's new for what's probably going to be the majority of BF players, since rather a lot of big time AC fans have yet to play Liberations.

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Liberation*

because of Revelations so many people think Liberation is titled Liberations -_-

SixKeys
09-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Does the origin of the blowpipe really matter? Even in Liberation it served exactly the same way as poison darts in previous games. The only difference being that in the Ezio games the darts were an extension of the hidden blade (which didn't really make much sense), in Liberation they changed it to a separate weapon graphically but it still functioned just the same.

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Except they added the berserk darts in Liberation as well. For Black Flag they removed the normal darts and replaced them with sleep darts which probably react relatively instantly and the person wakes up after 30 seconds.

SixKeys
09-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Except they added the berserk darts in Liberation as well. For Black Flag they removed the normal darts and replaced them with sleep darts which probably react relatively instantly and the person wakes up after 30 seconds.

Beserk darts = poison darts. There is literally no difference, especially since the AC4 devs changed it so that berserk darts do kill the guards eventually (even if their comrades don't).

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 12:30 AM
What? The Berserk darts make the person affected actually fight the people around them. Poison darts in the Ezio trilogy just made people swing their weapons at random, not actually fight.

SixKeys
09-04-2013, 12:55 AM
What? The Berserk darts make the person affected actually fight the people around them. Poison darts in the Ezio trilogy just made people swing their weapons at random, not actually fight.

In the Ezio games the affected person would start swinging their sword around with wild abandon while the other guards stood around watching. Sometimes this would result in those guards or civilians getting hurt or killed. In AC4 the guards actually join in. There may be minor tweaks, but otherwise it's the same exact weapon, like smoke bombs in AC2 vs. the dense smoke bombs in ACR.

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 12:59 AM
So, you're agreeing with me here. Which goes against what you previously said: "There is literally no difference."

SixKeys
09-04-2013, 01:16 AM
So, you're agreeing with me here. Which goes against what you previously said: "There is literally no difference."

It's still the same weapon, tweaks or not. Smoke bomb vs. dense smoke bomb, same weapon. Hidden gun in AC2 (long aiming time) vs. hidden gun in ACB (short loading time) = same weapon. All I'm saying is that people are saying Liberation was the first to introduce the blowpipe mechanic, while I'm saying it was technically already introduced back in ACB.

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 01:20 AM
But it doesn't function the same way. It functions differently in the fact that the person you hit with the berserk dart actually has a higher chance of killing other enemies, and the sleep poison is new as well.

It's not "literally" the same.

Plus the fact that the blowpipe includes new animations.

I'm just saying that it's not "literally" the same, and serves a slightly different function.

EDIT: I'm just gonna stop beating around the bush. I'm trying to get you to admit either that you didn't really mean "literally" or you were wrong to use the word literally.

Serrachio
09-04-2013, 01:33 AM
But it doesn't function the same way. It functions differently in the fact that the person you hit with the berserk dart actually has a higher chance of killing other enemies, and the sleep poison is new as well.

It's not "literally" the same.

Plus the fact that the blowpipe includes new animations.

I'm just saying that it's not "literally" the same, and serves a slightly different function.

EDIT: I'm just gonna stop beating around the bush. I'm trying to get you to admit either that you didn't really mean "literally" or you were wrong to use the word literally.

To both of you, I know poison darts were in Brotherhood onwards as a Hidden Blade gadget, but I referred to Liberation specifically as it showed the blowpipe as an actual, physical weapon and not an adaptation.

Also, berserk darts do kill guards after a while if they aren't taken out by their fellow guards. It may not do so in Black Flag, but I'm going from current information.

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 02:01 AM
To both of you, I know poison darts were in Brotherhood onwards as a Hidden Blade gadget, but I referred to Liberation specifically as it showed the blowpipe as an actual, physical weapon and not an adaptation.

Also, berserk darts do kill guards after a while if they aren't taken out by their fellow guards. It may not do so in Black Flag, but I'm going from current information.

I never said that berserk darts didn't kill people.

I said that the normal darts in Liberation killed people, and that they aren't in Black Flag. The sleep darts that knock them out for 30 seconds replaced them.