PDA

View Full Version : Do not read the ac4 mangas. They contain spoilers, ye scallywags.

ArabianFrost
09-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Darby says, we obey. Don't read the mangas, especially if they're translated. Not only will they spoil the story, but they sill also mangle it according to Darby
Too tired to take a screenshot.

SixKeys
09-01-2013, 12:19 AM
I already noticed this from the first chapter that someone posted here. Will not read any more. (Didn't care for the art, either.)

ArabianFrost
09-01-2013, 12:21 AM
I already noticed this from the first chapter that someone posted here. Will not read any more. (Didn't care for the art, either.)

Yup. It was necessary to create a separate thread for it cause someone posted a whole lot of the manga on some Facebook page.

TheDanteEX
09-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Here's a picture. I included Silver's tweets for fun. Hope it isn't embarrassing.

http://i.imgur.com/UKju2lT.png

I-Like-Pie45
09-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Is this Darby's way of telling us the manga will be bad?

silvermercy
09-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Hehe! Thanks for blocking my photo! Appreciate it! lol

lol I doubt it will be bad. But it's apparently "mangled" AND too spoiler-heavy.

I will buy the magazines (as imports I guess) later. I quite liked the art.

ArabianFrost
09-01-2013, 12:27 AM

It's his way of telling us that Ubisoft should get better Japanese to English translators.

silvermercy
09-01-2013, 12:28 AM
It's his way of telling us that Ubisoft should get better Japanese to English translators.
I think these "scanlations" (as they're usually called) are totally unofficial.

ArabianFrost
09-01-2013, 12:31 AM
I think these "scanlations" (as they're usually called) are totally unofficial.

Maybe. They're probably people that just use their primary school Japanese to translate them.

silvermercy
09-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Maybe. They're probably people that just use their primary school Japanese to translate them.
Don't look at me! lol It wasn't me who did the translations. My kanji are limited to 250 only. haha!

ArabianFrost
09-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Don't look at me! lol It wasn't me who did the translations. My kanji are limited to 250 only. haha!

I don't even...my wasabi is only limited to 23 :(

SixKeys
09-01-2013, 12:46 AM

Considering how much casual swearing was in the translation, I'm pretty sure that was the case. (The games have some swearing, but Ubi generally tries to keep it to a minimum.) Some Japanese swear words are difficult to translate into English because they're both milder and stronger than certain English words that get used a lot (for example "kuso", from what I understand, is stronger than "damn" but used pretty casually). So sometimes fan translators opt to go for a stronger alternative to better convey a character's rudeness or emotional state.

I am curious what Darby means with "mangling the story", How much did they change for the manga and why?

silvermercy
09-01-2013, 12:46 AM
I don't even...my wasabi is only limited to 23 :(
I have some iPad apps that use picture mnemonics to easily remember the kanji. I'm not fluent though - with the exception of hiragana and katakana.
I will use my skills to read the original mangas later. Much later. lol

edit: I just remembered a translated word: captain boatman! LMAO!!

SixKeys
09-01-2013, 12:49 AM
I have some iPad apps that use picture mnemonics to easily remember the kanji. I'm not fluent though - with the exception of hiragana and katakana.

I think you mean Captain ****ing Boatman.

silvermercy
09-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Haha! Yes! But, hey, it sounds so much more badass this way! lol

ArabianFrost
09-01-2013, 12:55 AM
I have some iPad apps that use picture mnemonics to easily remember the kanji. I'm now fluent though - with the exception of hiragana and katakana.

I'll just take your word on it cause I know squat about Japanese.

SixKeys
09-01-2013, 12:56 AM
"Gentlemen! You will forever remember this as the day you almost caught Captain ****ing Boatman!" *drunken Edward falls out the window*

ArabianFrost
09-01-2013, 12:57 AM

Hahahahahahaha now that I recall, the swearing sounded like a horribly translated Spanish series.