PDA

View Full Version : AC IV: Are they Showing Too Much?

STDlyMcStudpants
08-27-2013, 10:46 PM
I've been trying to figure out why I'm not as excited for AC IV as I was for AC III.
Maybe it's the setting and Character...That is of course part of it...But I believe they are showing just too much of the game.
It feels like I've already played it.
It takes away the mystery...I know what to expect and what I will be experiencing.
Maybe it's my own fault.
I wasn't as involved in the gaming world last year like I am this year. Did they show just as much for AC3?
Maybe I should step back and only watch videos of game announcements and reviews.
Constant videos kind of take away the fun.
I don't need to be sold on gameplay and mechanics by a franchise I am already in love with,
I think it is a bit overkill, don't you?
1 Gameplay video and the rest are trailers...That is enough isn't it?

ProletariatPleb
08-27-2013, 10:49 PM
>I've been trying to figure out why I'm not as excited for AC IV as I was for AC III...... But I believe they are showing just too much of the game.

AC3 had tons of trailers and TV spots...on the contrary we don't have as much this time.

ArabianFrost
08-27-2013, 10:51 PM
After AC3, they need as much footage as possible to generate whatever excitement they can. They need ti visually confirm to the players that they WILL Not be disappointed.

STDlyMcStudpants
08-27-2013, 10:55 PM
>I've been trying to figure out why I'm not as excited for AC IV as I was for AC III...... But I believe they are showing just too much of the game.

AC3 had tons of trailers and TV spots...on the contrary we don't have as much this time.

That could be it...I exploaded everytime I saw an AC 3 commercial lol

Farlander1991
08-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Showing too much? What have we REALLY seen?

With the exception of Blackbeard (who's the most marketable one, I suppose) we haven't seen anything but a few glimpses of several historical pirates.
We know only one storyline assassination target (and also a certain Templar character met near the beginning, which... we don't know anything about).
Basically, storywise, the only thing we know is that it starts somewhere in 1715 and spans a decade, but we haven't seen anything beyond 1717 (with the exception of a glimpse of Anne Bonny, which may or may not be after 1717).
We still haven't seen what it's like to free-run/travel in Kingston and Nassau (we haven't seen much of the two cities at all, like, we know what they generally look like on one hand, but on the other hand... who knows?).
We haven't seen pretty much anything of the open sea world outside of a small smugglers cave, mayan ruins, and a fort or two.
We still don't know how Edward gets into the Order.
We still haven't really seen any present day gameplay.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is...they're playing this really close to the chest, we don't know anything for the most part.

silvermercy
08-27-2013, 11:10 PM
One thing that MAY play a role (since we have less trailers compared to AC3) could be that we already know Edward's story (Forsaken)... It seems like a prequel (and it kinda is).

LoyalACFan
08-27-2013, 11:20 PM
No. They're showing a perfect amount IMO. Revelations made the mistake of revealing too much story content before release, and AC3 made the bigger mistake of showing too much moronic non-gameplay marketing that didn't reflect the actual game at all. AC4 has struck a nice balance of showing plenty of gameplay, but refraining from showing any story spoilers.

Assassin_M
08-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Anything more than what they showed for AC II is too much for me...ACB was the start of it...

pacmanate
08-27-2013, 11:24 PM
I don't think so.

However they are showing too much of the same damn thing. Just give us one demo in havana, one in kingston. Then leave the game alone.

LoyalACFan
08-27-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't think so.

However they are showing too much of the same damn thing. Just give us one demo in havana, one in kingston. Then leave the game alone.

I don't know, I'd be okay with Kingston and Nassau being a surprise when I first play (barring screenshots and concept art).

ACfan443
08-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Yes (talking generally about promotional content, not story/spoilers), I'm sure quite a few people are overwhelmed by the irrational spewing of countless demos, trailers and promotional gimmicks from the ubi conveyor belt. They need to give it a rest because this is a definite overkill for me, I had seen enough 2 months ago. Other games can go by on as little as a couple of demos and a few trailers.

For me, striking the perfect balance would involve the amount of promo content of AC3, but with less of the 'hurr durr you can charge straight into a battlefield with god tier powers' deceptive approach.

ze_topazio
08-27-2013, 11:41 PM
They have been showing the same things over and over again, naval combat, random islands and forts, we know almost nothing of the story, characters and everything else.

Assassin_M
08-27-2013, 11:44 PM
They have been showing the same things over and over again, naval combat, random islands and forts, we know almost nothing of the story, characters and everything else.
That`s exactly what we`re talking about...everyone seems to be thinking it`s about how much we know, but that`s not it...it`s about how many times we see the game....how much gameplay we see...

ACfan443
08-27-2013, 11:46 PM
That`s exactly what we`re talking about...everyone seems to be thinking it`s about how much we know, but that`s not it...it`s about how many times we see the game....how much gameplay we see...

This.
(Although it could have done without some of the spoilery stuff from the watch, and the Templar grandmaster/Julien du casse gameplay spoilers).

STDlyMcStudpants
08-27-2013, 11:55 PM
No. They're showing a perfect amount IMO. Revelations made the mistake of revealing too much story content before release, and AC3 made the bigger mistake of showing too much moronic non-gameplay marketing that didn't reflect the actual game at all. AC4 has struck a nice balance of showing plenty of gameplay, but refraining from showing any story spoilers.

As starnge as it may sound..I kind of wish they would do an epic AC3/ACR type promo that is nothing like the game but just blows my mind with epicness and imagination

STDlyMcStudpants
08-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Yes (talking generally about promotional content, not story/spoilers), I'm sure quite a few people are overwhelmed by the irrational spewing of countless demos, trailers and promotional gimmicks from the ubi conveyor belt. They need to give it a rest because this is a definite overkill for me, I had seen enough 2 months ago. Other games can go by on as little as a couple of demos and a few trailers.

For me, striking the perfect balance would involve the amount of promo content of AC3, but with less of the 'hurr durr you can charge straight into a battlefield with god tier powers' deceptive approach.
Agreed..I was over seeing AC IV demos since May. I just wanted to see the final one at E3 then just slam us with awesome trailers every couple of weeks.
I dont want to see how to take over a fort or win a ship battle, i want to learn how to by trial and error.
There was a fort demo today that I havent watched yet..I just rolled my eyes and posted this thread haha

STDlyMcStudpants
08-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Yes, exactly :)
I dont expect story reveals at all..maybe just aa quick back story intro or prelude like ACR...
But what I meant was exactly what you said..we are seeing too much of the game itself..leaving nothing to imagination...I wonder what ship battles will be like compared to last year..nope no wondering...let us show you even though telling you ship battles will be there and better was plenty enough! :D
Stealth will be improved, but lets not let you experience these improvements yourself..lt us demonstrate how it is better!!
It's like going to your friends house that got a game before you and he wants to walk you through how everything works and what every button does when that is what tutorials are for -_-
To me, these non hands on demos are more spoiling than a story spoiler.

The same hap[pened to me for The Last of Us..they show an hour long Demo early 2012 SOOOO excited for this game!!!!!
Its 2013..game gets pushed back..sad but still insanely excited!!!!
Then demo demo demo discussion demo demo meet the actors demo demo release and I was over the last of us before it even came out
Just in the 4 months the push back was announced..
With GTA V around the corner I hope they don't start doing the same.

LoyalACFan
08-28-2013, 02:01 AM
With GTA V around the corner I hope they don't start doing the same.

R* is usually pretty tight-lipped with their prerelease media, so I wouldn't fear. I mean, there have only been like five trailers since it was announced.

Assassin_M
08-28-2013, 02:02 AM
R* is usually pretty tight-lipped with their prerelease media, so I wouldn't fear. I mean, there have only been like five trailers since it was announced.
I think he means it getting delayed..

It`s already gone gold, so...no delays..

STDlyMcStudpants
08-28-2013, 07:28 AM
I think he means it getting delayed..

It`s already gone gold, so...no delays..

I meant showing too much of the game :D It was already delayed :D We were supposed to get it in May I believe.

roostersrule2
08-28-2013, 07:37 AM
I meant showing too much of the game :D It was already delayed :D We were supposed to get it in May I believe.Well a new trailer is coming thursday.

pacmanate
08-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Well a new trailer is coming thursday.

Whyyyyyyy

roostersrule2
08-28-2013, 09:52 AM
WhyyyyyyyWhy not?

pacmanate
08-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Why not?

We don't need one. We just got one from Gamescom a few days ago.

roostersrule2
08-28-2013, 09:57 AM
We don't need one. We just got one from Gamescom a few days ago.Oh I was talking about GTA V.

Legendz54
08-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Well a new trailer is coming thursday.

Wait what? How did you find this out?

EDIT: Thought you meant AC4

pacmanate
08-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Wait what? How did you find this out?

The internet. everyone knows.

@rooster, thats what I first thought but then I looked at the thread title :p

roostersrule2
08-28-2013, 09:59 AM
@rooster, thats what I first thought but then I looked at the thread title :pYea but STD was talking about GTA.

Legendz54
08-28-2013, 10:00 AM
We don't need one. We just got one from Gamescom a few days ago.

Yea it was a not so good one with hippity hoppity music. I want a proper one.

LoyalACFan
08-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Yea it was a not so good one with hippity hoppity music. I want a proper one.

I didn't think it was so bad... :(

Philliesfan377
08-28-2013, 04:15 PM
That could be it...I exploaded everytime I saw an AC 3 commercial lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSSegiPbvGA

I was the same way. Every time I saw this commercial I freaked. It was so awesome.

Farlander1991
08-28-2013, 04:42 PM

I was the same way. Every time I saw this commercial I freaked. It was so awesome.

That's probably the most ******** marketing piece out of all AC3 marketing material, though. AC CGI trailers were always about cinematic representation of what you could do in the game. Yes, even the AC E3 trailer, because I believe that in the Bunker Hill battle being able to go straight through the enemy lines was part of the plan but they didn't implement it because of technical difficulties (and even though by E3 they've probably cut that possibility out fully, such cinematic trailers take a relatively long time to make, at a certain time gets to a point where you can't just switch the concept fully).

But this. Even I can't defend this (regardless of how cool it looks). Free-running shortcuts filled with soldiers? Assassination from a window? Big battle in the snow? Throwing a tomahawk? ********. All of it. And shown close by release date too (with production on that commercial... it can't be earlier than August... tops, I think... so it would be pretty well known what features are in the game).

ProletariatPleb
08-28-2013, 04:45 PM
I only liked the ending music of that video, lol.

Mr_Shade
08-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Show too little - get complaints..

Show too much - get complaints..

If anyone feels there is too much - just use a little self control and don't read / watch ;)

Megas_Doux
08-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Nah!

We know next to nothing of the story, I like that.....

STDlyMcStudpants
08-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Show too little - get complaints..

Show too much - get complaints..

If anyone feels there is too much - just use a little self control and don't read / watch ;)

Im an addict to speculation ;D

STDlyMcStudpants
08-28-2013, 05:39 PM

GDFGSGSOFWEWGJWEOTGGJGJGR
I just bought another copy of AC3!

ze_topazio
08-28-2013, 05:59 PM

That trailer is pretty awesome, even with all the "America f*ck yeah" thing and having little to do with the actual story of the game.