PDA

View Full Version : Detailed hands-on impressions from an AC fan on combat, Naval and more. A must read.

ArabianFrost
08-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Darby tweeted this. It's an AC fan talking about his impressions of the demo he played. It has unbelievably detailed and constructive. You have to read it for yourself.

To get you excited (especially you Sid), combat seems more like a mix of AC1 and AC3. This means that Edward has the slower flow of AC1 to induce more tactical gameplay. If you want to know more, please read this.

Look for the comment by DarkAphabetZoub that's hidden as spoilers (doesn't seem to have spoiler when I skim it):

http://thehiddenblade.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag?page=9#comment-31742

For any of you guys wondering what's the hidden blade, it seems like some sort of hardcore AC fan forums for purely constructive talk. If some of the long, constructive posters here want some place to show their ideas to people, feel free to post at the Hidden Blade forums. That's definitely a good place for such posts.

Here's the post from the link (he explains more stuff in a next comment, so read the link if you're interested):

First: What I Didn't Get To Find Out/Play
- Edward Stealth
- - There was nothing about Stealth in this demo
- City Free Roam
- - It was a single, contained mission, I didn't want to risk being caught if I Out Of Bounds'ed ;]

- Jackdaw Stealth
- - The mission I played forced me into conflict with a Fort almost immediately. There was simply no chance to experiment with mechanics.

- Heavy Shot
- - Heavy Shot didn't seem to be a selectable Weapon Type for me

- The Pause Menu.
- - Pressing Option on the PS4 controller just brought me to a blue screen (I will talk more about the significance of this blue screen later) with lots of oceany graphics and sea-y, watery colors. It just said "Animus Pause Menu. Use L2 R2 L1 R1 to restart Mission."

Second: What I Did Try/Impressions

Ship Combat
Ship Combat is much faster than in Assassin's Creed III. It's a little complicated at first, but without a tutorial and with just a quick explanation from the Ubisoft representative, I was able to get the hang of it in about seven seconds.

What makes it complex is that there are at least four different attack types and you will only ever shoot in whatever direction Edward is looking in. If your camera is looking to the side of your ship, side cannons will fire. They are your primary damage dealers. If you're looking to the front of your ship, Chain Shots will fire. These slow and immobilize ships, allowing you to gain better Positioning on them. Ashraf is aware of how important Positioning is in Assassin's Creed and not only has he improved it for Combat (will get into it later) but for Ship Combat as well.

If you look out the back of the ship, you can toss out Explosive Barrels that you can then shoot using Swivels.

As for Swivels, they are much quicker to reload. You can shoot them pretty much indefinitely, as many times as you want, as quickly as you want. By holding Triangle/Y, you will fire Swivels in whatever direction you're looking at. Holding the button down moves the Swivels over a Red Target. When the Targeting Reticle and the Target line up, releasing will fire a (very satisfying) swivel shot that lands properly.

Swivels feel fun to use and there are a lot of Swivel Targets to exploit. You can open up additional Swivel Targets by using Mortars or shooting armored parts of Ships/Buildings/Forts using your Main Cannons. Interplay between Swivels and Main Cannons is huge, it seems.

Holding L2/Left Trigger will initiate the Aiming Reticle. The Chain Shot and Main Cannons will be aimed using the Right Stick. Pressing R2/Right Trigger while this happens will Fire. Yes, they switched the Triggers on the PlayStation version to fit the Xbox version. This is not a big change, it's actually very comfortable - coming from a PS3 fan and longtime PS3 player. Mind you, the PS3 version will PROBABLY STILL BE THE SAME, and only the PS4 version will likely be "Xboxified" but it's great fun and works well. Even Freerunning Triggers are switched from Shoulder to Trigger but it's great, no worries there.

Mortars work by holding L1. L1 makes Edward use his Spyglass. It's usable at any time. I'm not sure if it's usable on land, but it might be.

Spyglass allows you to Scout things in the far distance. You can see how much of something a possible Location/Target contains, the risk of attacking said Target/Location (with a sort of 'Rank' thing that tells you how strong it is) and finally, you can rain hell on your enemies by tapping R2 while in Spyglass - if you align the Mortar Reticle over it.

Mortars are absolutely devastating. They're your ship's most powerful weapon, and the only drawback is that they take a long time to land and they're a little trickier to aim. Also they take forEVER to reload. FOREVER. Like it's painfully long. Thankfully, you don't need to use them, they're just an option, like pretty much everything else. You're free to even chip away Fort walls using Swivels all day if that's what floats your Jackdaw.

I found myself Mortaring two of the gun towers, strafing the fort with a Main Cannon > Swivel > Main Cannon > Swivel. That destroyed it in about 30 seconds not including the Mortar actions before. Everyone else playing kind of fumbled about with it and were generally not spectacular haha, but this Fort was really easy. This playable demo was not designed to wreck the players trying it out. I could feel that my health was artificially pumped up - something they told me would not be the case in the real game.

Ships that are destroyed in the demo just linger. They do not sink instantly. In fact, they didn't manage to sink the entire time I was playing. Peeking at the other screens (there were three others to the left and right of me) I saw that the other players were VERY behind.

So, I decided, why not? I'll go Board a ship. I didn't NEED to do it, and no one else did (I spent a lot of time afterward watching other players play it just for the lulz and to see their gameplay/reactions) but I felt like it.

So I went over to one of the defeated ships and I held Circle. However, I didn't know that I was actually really far from it. The game didn't care how far I was. It initated the Boarding anyway. Told me to "Kill 10 Crew Members."

So I just leaped into the water and swam over to the ship. Some of my crew did the same. However, this is something I did while the Fort was still up and attacking my Jackdaw.

This made me notice something; You have Two Healthbars!
If any one of them (Edward/Jackdaw) hits zero, you will Desynchronize!

I had to quickly do the boarding, and get out without losing either my life, or the Jackdaw's. Meanwhile, the Fort was assaulting my ship, while my crew members were fighting as usual on top of it. I saw Crew - 1 and Crew + 1 appear as members were thrown into the water by explosions and rescued by me (you can 'Loot' Crew Members by getting close and tapping the Loot button, they instantly appear back on board and you don't Lose that man.)

This is when I tried out...!
Foot Combat
Oh my god, this was shocking.
They er... They changed the combat haha.
It's a LOT slower. Like NOTICEABLY slower.
Button mashing in Brotherhood, Revelations and even III was perfectly fine. You can't do this anymore.

AC4 Combat felt like AC1 Flow + AC3 Killstreaks.
That may not make sense, but it will when you play it.
Edward is a killing machine if you use Pistols and just obliterate everyone, but you only have so many of those shots. Your attacks are slower, so tapping at the right times is very beneficial. Directing your streak toward lower Ranks and doing Guard Breaks on higher Ranks will allow you to continue it - exactly the same as AC3 in that regard.

Countering works the same way as in AC3. Tap the Counter button, slight Slow Mo, tap what you'd like Edward to do to them, and there you go. Again, not all enemies are Counterable with all Counters.

I fought exclusively with his Dual Hidden Blades, which he had at this point in the game. The fighting flow was slower, but it felt more satisfying and in my gleeful description to my friend I kept saying over and over again, "It was SLOWER, it was more THINKY!"

Also getting hit really hurts. I did say I had padded health, but these shots are hilariously painful. If I'd gotten hit three or four times more I think I would have died.

I loved this.

Eagle Vision is back, but I didn't get to try out the new Mark and Track system. I ended up appreciating the "Kill" text above a Red dot, because everyone looks mostly the same, and sometimes the enemies (especially in this demo) blended in with the environment. The flames obscured the color of the red dot because everything else was burning and red. The "Kill" text allowed me the clarity to chase down and Running Assassinate (one of the Full Synch requirements) the person I was supposed to get.

I collected a single Animus Fragment during my Demo experience. Again, I didn't have to do it, I just felt like it and no one came over to stop me. Nothing special happened, but I got the DAZ thrill of getting an AC collectable (and the hunger for 99 more of them).

I also tried Free Aim. Holding L2/LT on land aims Edward's Pistol with the Right Stick in the same vein as Over-The-Shoulder games. It felt very Uncharted-like and Resident Evil/Gears of War-y. It was smooth, had great Default sensitivity and I was able to land a headshot on a running Standard Guard.

I HOPE they don't change the things I liked about this game, in the name of accessibility because anyone can get through them with enough practice and upgrades.

Edward's attack speed also gets upgraded later if you want it to be. A large part of replaying the game for me will be to get through the final sections without using any Edward upgrades. That the Jackdaw and Ed both have separate HP and can both be damaged at the same time REALLY surprised me and raised the tension to the MAX. That's gonna be epic, to see what kind of level design they can get out with that mechanic.

I ended up using the Boarded Ship's Loot to 'Repair the Jackdaw' but the Send to Fleet option was there too. The 'Recruit Crew' option was not selectable because the Jackdaw already had Maximum Crew at the time. The Jackdaw itself is very lively and has amazing 'idle' as well as 'active' animations. It teems with pirate life, people are always climbing something, climbing some kind of rope or rigging, chatting or turning, spinning and fastening stuff. They're never standing still.

Honestly, the most disappointing thing about this demo was that it was too short. I was very happy with my experience and I felt truly fortunate to receive such an opportunity.

The Demo alone felt better as an Assassin's Creed game than AC3's entire game did. Take that as you will. I didn't dislike AC3. I just love Black Flag and I will continue to love it til' the end if it turns out like this.

Thank you to The Hidden Blade for checking out my experiences as well. And here's hoping we come to some kind of agreement on what we want out of the game so Ubi can hopefully read this and say "Yes, this is what they want! Let's keep going strong!"

Oh yeah.
And I saw the Animus Ocean Floor.
Similar to the Black Room and White Room from previous games, it's the loading room where Edward can sprint around endlessly. It's an underwater, but with digital bubbles and techno-water effects environment. It looks and feels incredibly cool. You feel like even his regular sprinting animations are a little swallowed up by the water he's engulfed by. It's amazing. I'm excited.

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks frost. You always give us the new Info we need.

Very glad to hear about the combat.

I am also very interested in the loading screen. I know that the loading screen usually shouldn't be why I like a game lol, but this seems very cool. Glad to hear about ship combat being great too.

Very happy that the guy had an immediate "AC1" feel from the combat

Shahkulu101
08-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Hype level slightly revived; a good find Frosty -- I do want my hands on this game as soon as to make my own impression. Here's hoping it doesn't change too much till release day.

silvermercy
08-27-2013, 08:22 PM
I like the loading screen, too! xD It seems similar to ToKW? I remember people liking a lot that loading screen.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/cd461d71e0606358422921d22eadc3ce/tumblr_ms1w7woLWI1r4fggfo2_250.gif

ArabianFrost
08-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks frost. You always give us the new Info we need.

Very glad to hear about the combat.

I am also very interested in the loading screen. I know that the loading screen usually shouldn't be why I like a game lol, but this seems very cool. Glad to hear about ship combat being great too.

Very happy that the guy had an immediate "AC1" feel from the combat

Hype level slightly revived; a good find Frosty -- I do want my hands on this game as soon as to make my own impression. Here's hoping it doesn't change too much till release day.

This raised my hype as well. Coming from the mouth of an experienced AC fan rather than a noobish journalist made me especially excited.

Always glad to be of service.

ArabianFrost
08-27-2013, 08:26 PM
I like the loading screen, too! xD It seems similar to ToKW? I remember people liking a lot that loading screen.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/cd461d71e0606358422921d22eadc3ce/tumblr_ms1w7woLWI1r4fggfo2_250.gif

This reminds me Silver. You and anyone else trying this are going to have a really hard time trying to beat that giant wall of words about the demo.

silvermercy
08-27-2013, 08:28 PM
This reminds me Silver. You and anyone else trying this are going to have a really hard time trying to beat that giant wall of words about the demo.
My future review: "F**k Yeah!! AC4! woohoo!!"

ArabianFrost
08-27-2013, 08:36 PM
My future review: "F**k Yeah!! AC4! woohoo!!"

His giant review < yours

LoyalACFan
08-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Wow, I'm impressed. Sounds like combat might (MIGHT) be a bit of a challenge...? :eek: Also, I like that the Jackdaw has a separate health bar to keep you from doing stupid stuff like boarding every ship in the fort's line of fire.

ProletariatPleb
08-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Sounds good.....but I'll believe it when I see it.

Sigv4rd
08-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Sounds good.....but I'll believe it when I see it.

So what's your opinion of Black Flag?

ProletariatPleb
08-27-2013, 09:21 PM
So what's your opinion of Black Flag?
Seems cool, might redeem the franchise after the last debacle.

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Seems cool, might redeem the franchise after the last debacle.

:rolleyes:

silvermercy
08-27-2013, 09:32 PM
lol Same.

ProletariatPleb
08-27-2013, 09:33 PM
:cool:

btw czech yor PM, I haz to ask u something...unrelated to this.

ArabianFrost
08-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Now we need Sushi and this band of cynics might actually hop on the Darby McHype train with me.

silvermercy
08-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Now we need Sushi and this band of cynics might actually hop on the Darby McHype train with me.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRkkUTXCIAE1nmt.jpg

(I had sent this to him and he faved it. xD lol)

Farlander1991
08-27-2013, 09:40 PM

Well, isn't Sushi somewhat different because he WAS on the hype train and then jumped off it? :rolleyes: Just seems that it's going to be really hard to persuade him :D

ArabianFrost
08-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Well, isn't Sushi somewhat different because he WAS on the hype train and then jumped off it? :rolleyes: Just seems that it's going to be really hard to persuade him :D

The ground is lava. You hop off, you meet your doom.

ArabianFrost
08-27-2013, 09:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRkkUTXCIAE1nmt.jpg

(I had sent this to him and he faved it. xD lol)

In guy talk, favouriting a tweet means he wants your hand in marriage. Do it.

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 10:02 PM
:cool:

btw czech yor PM, I haz to ask u something...unrelated to this.

Do you really? Or was it just an excuse to use an Eastern Europe pun?

Btw, I don't know why, but I don't receive PMs it doesn't show. I know that people like silver mercy and ladyleon have sent me some, but they don't show up. Any ideas of what to do?

ArabianFrost
08-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Do you really? Or was it just an excuse to use an Eastern Europe pun?

Btw, I don't know why, but I don't receive PMs it doesn't show. I know that people like silver mercy and ladyleon have sent me some, but they don't show up. Any ideas of what to do?

Maybe you should stop stalin and ask the mods?

(Couldn't resist another eastern European joke. Hope you're not offended)

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Maybe you should stop stalin and ask the mods?

(Couldn't resist another eastern European joke. Hope you're not offended)

Sid used that Stalin one like a couple hours ago. You're late.

But no I really don't care. I actually like them. I even like Jew jokes too.

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 10:09 PM
The pun because I was too lazy to think of a subject...

And check your settings for the PM thing:
http://forums.ubi.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

Enable notification I guess.

Did you really send me a PM?

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Okay I just edited some settings. So one send me a PM to test it. PM me a pun or something.

Best pun wins...something.

silvermercy
08-27-2013, 10:15 PM
In guy talk, favouriting a tweet means he wants your hand in marriage. Do it.
oh mer god! Lost opportunity...

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Uhh yeah...

You did check your inbox, right?
http://forums.ubi.com/private.php

Yeah nothing shows up.

I'm not like a computer idiot or anything. It literally is not working.

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Well that's weird, I just sent another one...probably wasted a half good pun if you can't see it.

And the worst part is, how can I ask the mods for help? By PMing them? How will they respond?

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Lawl. Perhaps you could check the settings again

Private messages - On
Receive - From all members
Pop-up - Show.

all have been on.

i just switched from ipad to PC but still doesnt work

Sigv4rd
08-27-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm definitely using dual hidden blades more in AC4 the animations are awesome!

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Don't you dare derail this beautiful thread.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to destroy the thread.

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Yeah yeah, nobody's derailing it. I'll ask Shade or Widow for help.

Thanks for your help

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Did you get an email?

Yeah

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Back on topic: I really like the new combat animations. I felt that the tomahawk had very limited combat animations. Double swords have way more possibilities.

Assassin_M
08-27-2013, 11:19 PM
And then the pitches and forks were up in the air, people with fire and a cold stare. They said "DOWN WITH ASHRAF AND HIS FACIAL HAIR" - This forum October 30th 2013

ProletariatPleb
08-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Back on topic: I really like the new combat animations. I felt that the tomahawk had very limited combat animations. Double swords have way more possibilities.
Where did they show proper open combat? I've only seen a few vids where there's like 3-5 seconds of it...not enough!

Black_Widow9
08-27-2013, 11:26 PM
And the worst part is, how can I ask the mods for help? By PMing them? How will they respond?
Please pop over to this Thread where we can try and work it out.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/790709-PM-help-test

Thanks

I'll delete the Off Topic posts. ;)

LoyalACFan
08-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Where did they show proper open combat? I've only seen a few vids where there's like 3-5 seconds of it...not enough!

That is one thing I've been missing in these demos... I know, I've been asking for confirmation of unbroken stealth mechanics, but combat is important too. Especially having read the recent write-up that glorified it as a mix of AC3 and AC1 fights.

Shahkulu101
08-27-2013, 11:41 PM
And then the pitches and forks were up in the air, people with fire and a cold stare. They said "DOWN WITH ASHRAF AND HIS FACIAL HAIR" - This forum October 30th 2013

Episode 5 no hope left

ArabianFrost
08-28-2013, 08:15 AM

Bel roh, bel dam, nefdeek ya Ashraf

Translation:
No we won't. I have faith in the game. Even if it wasn't as good, Ashraf did something great no other dev before him did since Patrice. Ashraf actually respected the cores of the game and preserved them. For that I raise him my imaginary hat. Verticality is now ALWAYS an option, stealth is back and God almighty is it copious and of course, by the sound of it, he's talking a page out of AC1's book in terms of combat. If that isn't paying respect to the hardcore fans while trying to follow the executive's strict words about making it casualised, then I don't know what is. He's trying hard to make this a hardcore fan's game again as much as possible. Whatever the outcome may be, I trust his vision of the game is extremely enjoyable, but it's just the time tgat didn't allow him to apply it.

To put it shortly, thanks Yves. For nothing.

Raibuscus
08-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Noob question: Who's this Yves guy? Does he tell them to release an AC each year? ;o

roostersrule2
08-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Noob question: Who's this Yves guy? Does he tell them to release an AC each year? ;oHe is the CEO we need but not the one we deserve.

Megas_Doux
08-28-2013, 04:35 PM
The location of this demo is Punta Guarico, Cuba.

And well, I am 99% sure that the scene between Edward and the old Spanish templar is just to show some dialogue. Pretty much like AC2 and AC3 demos...

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Just something to add to this thread:

Based on a French play through of the fort gameplay, the pistol reloads now cover all of your pistols.

Like, by doing one reloading animation, it reloads the other guns as well,

ProletariatPleb
08-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Just something to add to this thread:

Based on a French play through of the fort gameplay, the pistol reloads now cover all of your pistols.

Like, by doing one reloading animation, it reloads the other guns as well,
.......wha....

Maybe it was for demo purpose only?

Megas_Doux
08-28-2013, 05:04 PM
.......wha....

Maybe it was for demo purpose only?

Well, MANY people complained about how "hard" has to reload in AC3, so......

ProletariatPleb
08-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Well, MANY people complained about how "hard" has to reload in AC3, so......
0_o people complained about not being able to play the game like a shooter?

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 05:08 PM

The dev's have said that the guns reload faster for gameplay purposes. The animation itself is the exact same one from AC3.

Would you like link? It also shows a seamless ship boarding, and some actual open combat that lasts like 30 sec

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TO6umTVncDs

Megas_Doux
08-28-2013, 05:12 PM

It me took 10 seconds to do this research...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ivSbyN5Uo

Check the top rated comments.

See, sad but true.

ProletariatPleb
08-28-2013, 05:15 PM
I took 10 seconds to do this research...
Check the top rated comments.
See, sad but true.
I meant about using guns, lol

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 05:16 PM

Posted the vid guys! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TO6umTVncDs

Megas_Doux
08-28-2013, 05:16 PM

I know, my point is that MANY people complain about things like that, they want an UBEEEEEEEEEEEEER easy game..

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 05:17 PM
i know, my point is that many people complain about things like that, they want an ubeeeeeeeeeeeeer easy game..

watch the ****ing video

ProletariatPleb
08-28-2013, 05:19 PM
watch the ****ing video
Errday I'm buffering.

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Errday I'm buffering.

What

Megas_Doux
08-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, still browsing haha.

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Of course Wolfie. Whatever you wish!

Fixed it

Megas_Doux
08-28-2013, 05:29 PM
I like the fact that you can choose whether to board or destroy the ship, NICE.

ACfan443
08-28-2013, 05:36 PM
watch the ****ing video

Jesus, calm down.

ProletariatPleb
08-28-2013, 05:37 PM
I don't see the "Ac1+AC3" thing with the hidden blade combat atleast, seems the same as 3.

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Jesus, calm down.

I am calm, and don't call me Jesus.

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't see the "Ac1+AC3" thing with the hidden blade combat atleast, seems the same as 3.

Thought you'd say that.

I assume we will have to wait to actually play ourselves before we understand what he means

ProletariatPleb
08-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Thought you'd say that.

I assume we will have to wait to actually play ourselves before we understand what he means
Of course, you've got me all figured out...

Yeah I suppose so. This game so far is pressing my buttons....the correct ones.

ArabianFrost
08-28-2013, 05:42 PM

I think silvermercy and adventure are going. I think there was another brit as well? Anywho, can those who go play the demo tell us about the experience and the similarity, if there's any.

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 05:51 PM

What do you want them to show next, if they decide to show us another demo?

ProletariatPleb
08-28-2013, 05:54 PM
What do you want them to show next, if they decide to show us another demo?
Just freeroaming the city. Not doing any contract, no mission. Just slowly moving around the city show us how it looks and feels properly. The ambiance, the atmosphere, the NPC AI, the architecture.

SixKeys
08-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Reloading one pistol now reloads all of them? Thank God. I freaking hated reloading in AC3. Connor would constantly stop halfway for no reason and I would have to press the button again, rinse and repeat for both pistols. I think if you had double-barrels you even had to do this four times, but I could be remembering wrong. Historically accurate or not, from a gameplay perspective it's a clear step down from AC2. If Ezio was able to fire the hidden gun (and get one-hit kills) without reloading at all back in the 1400s, why the **** can't Connor do it 300 years later?

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Just freeroaming the city. Not doing any contract, no mission. Just slowly moving around the city show us how it looks and feels properly. The ambiance, the atmosphere, the NPC AI, the architecture.

Agreed completely. And if I get to choose which city, I would say nassau. We have not seen enough of it.

SixKeys
08-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Agreed completely. And if I get to choose which city, I would say nassau. We have not seen enough of it.

I want Nassau to be a complete surprise. I really want it to be a sprawling shantytown like in PoTC.

silvermercy
08-28-2013, 06:06 PM
I think silvermercy and adventure are going. I think there was another brit as well? Anywho, can those who go play the demo tell us about the experience and the similarity, if there's any.
Yes, we're going. Well, I tend not to pay extreme attention in gameplay mechanics at very first glance, so I suppose you should expect details regarding the general atmosphere, and how easy/difficult the controls, music, navigation etc are. I doubt there will be detailed story elements in the demo to comment on.

ProletariatPleb
08-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Yes, we're going. Well, I tend not to pay extreme attention in gameplay mechanics at very first glance, so I suppose you should expect details regarding the general atmosphere, and how easy/difficult the controls, music, navigation etc are. I doubt there will be detailed story elements in the demo to comment on.
We don't want your comment on story! That would be terrible.

silvermercy
08-28-2013, 06:12 PM
We don't want your comment on story! That would be terrible.
Why??

ProletariatPleb
08-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Why??
because....story details would be spoiled!

ACfan443
08-28-2013, 06:16 PM
I don't want to see anymore of the game (apart from maybe a story/launch trailer), but I were to choose I'd go with what Sid mentioned, a short Havana free roam demo with ambient music playing in real time, and no commentary.

On topic: I like what the guy's review said about combat, it perhaps explains the constant desynchs at gamescom - people button mashing too much and being penalised for it. Sounds good, I just wish they had kept the promise about health not regenerating whilst in combat.

silvermercy
08-28-2013, 06:17 PM
because....story details would be spoiled!
I'd put a spoiler warning.

ArabianFrost
08-28-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't want to see anymore of the game (apart from maybe a story/launch trailer), but I were to choose I'd go with what Sid mentioned, a short Havana free roam demo with ambient music playing in real time, and no commentary.

On topic: I like what the guy's review said about combat, it perhaps explains the constant desynchs at gamescom - people button mashing too much and being penalised for it. Sounds good, I just wish they had kept the promise about health not regenerating whilst in combat.

I just wish the hands-on experience doesn't make them dumb down the combat.

ACfan443
08-28-2013, 06:29 PM
I just wish the hands-on experience doesn't make them dumb down the combat.

I expressed my fears about this in another thread, I hope they leave it exactly as it is

Gi1t
08-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Wow, after all the seemingly discouraging demos, this sounds very encouraging. :D It even explains why the seemingly stupid 'kill' thing appears over enemies. Once you get used to it, you could turn it off, but at first it'd probably be useful. :) And I like what they said about combat here.

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 06:44 PM
I want Nassau to be a complete surprise. I really want it to be a sprawling shantytown like in PoTC.

You are referring to tortuga

ArabianFrost
08-28-2013, 06:55 PM
I expressed my fears about this in another thread, I hope they leave it exactly as it is

Just tweeted Ashraf asking him to please keep it like that. Let's see how he responds.

Wolfmeister1010
08-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Just tweeted Ashraf asking him to please keep it like that. Let's see how he responds.

He actually respond to you?? Ask him if there are random encounters like red dead redemption

Bastiaen
08-28-2013, 08:01 PM

It's actually quite similar to Assassin's Creed 3 : Liberation
Which makes sense since we're working for Abstergo Entertainment.

AnthonyA85
08-28-2013, 08:01 PM
I tried asking him if QTEs had been removed, but my tweet never showed up on his feed, so i don't know if he saw it or not. (I don't use twitter that much)

EDIT

Just asked him again, hopefully, he'll respond this time.