PDA

View Full Version : Is hype a bad thing...?

Oleg l Kirrlov
08-24-2013, 07:38 PM
The games that I have been hyped for in the past have become total a**, like halo 4, game was booty and I gave it to my grandpa.

But I wasn't hyped for AC3 and I loved it. I just want to know if being too hyped for a game will make it not seem as good as I thought.

Im just worried that if I get too excited for it, it will seem like it was a letdown.

Assassin_M
08-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Hype is a risk....as it goes up, so does expectation...you`re expecting a unicorn at the door, if something less comes, you`ll be disappointed...."ohmagosh ohmagosh ohmagosh...i can`t wait!!" "oh......that`s it?"

that`s hype.....something can be pretty good, but your expectations were sky high, so it leads to disappointment...

I-Like-Pie45
08-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Hype is a risk....as it goes up, so does expectation...you`re expecting a unicorn at the door, if something less comes, you`ll be disappointed...."ohmagosh ohmagosh ohmagosh...i can`t wait!!" "oh......that`s it?"

that`s hype.....something can be pretty good, but your expectations were sky high, so it leads to disappointment...

my AC3 experience in a nutshell

Assassin_M
08-24-2013, 07:46 PM
my AC3 experience in a nutshell
mine too

Farlander1991
08-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Hype is a dangerous thing. It's very rarely when the reality ever meets it. And the disappointment that it may cause may cloud the judgement in the opposite direction. Which is also somewhat unfair towards the game. But understandable.

But... I'm actually not sure how hype affects me. Like, I wrote this series of blog posts that pretty much shreds ACIII's mission design to pieces, but when I played the game, I still loved it. It's weird, isn't it? I still replay a number of missions from ACIII from time to time, actually, because I like them.

But maybe this has something to do with me knowing what developers are going through? I mean, I've been there. Doing something so passionately, and people are so excited for it and you are excited too, and not being able to deliver up to par with the excitement. Maybe that knowledge subconsciously helps to block down the disappointment from the hype, and helps to see the game closer to what it really is. And enjoy it regardless if it's good (with flaws).

ArabianFrost
08-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Maybe we can set a line between hype and unrealistic expectations?

Being excited for or looking forward to a game doesn't mean you think it's going to be the best thing in the world. You can have modest expectations for the game and still await its release, simply for what the game can provide in terms of general experience.

pirate1802
08-24-2013, 08:05 PM
It is bad, you are bad and this thread is bad.

Assassin_M
08-24-2013, 08:05 PM

Being excited for or looking forward to a game doesn't mean you think it's going to be the best thing in the world. You can have modest expectations for the game and still await its release, simply for what the game can provide in terms of general experience.
Not when every trailer, interview and diary keeps saying "best AC ever" "best experience ever" "richest world ever" "you`v seen nothing yet"

I`m sure it was all marketing and that`s fine, but then it SHOULDN'T be a surprise that people`s expectations would be sky high

ArabianFrost
08-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Not when every trailer, interview and diary keeps saying "best AC ever" "best experience ever" "richest world ever" "you`v seen nothing yet"

I`m sure it was all marketing and that`s fine, but then it SHOULDN'T be a surprise that people`s expectations would be sky high

What about setting some personal expectations of your own based purely on gameplay? Words can say a lot, but gameplay, albeit greatly liable to being polished to unrealistic degrees like AC3, is a true representative of how the game will play out, considering we trust the devs. No matter how much they polish gameplays, you guys here still show concern or critique, hence it's relatively safer to base your pre-judgement on these games.

Assassin_M
08-24-2013, 08:23 PM
What about setting some personal expectations of your own based purely on gameplay? Words can say a lot, but gameplay, albeit greatly liable to being polished to unrealistic degrees like AC3, is a true representative of how the game will play out, considering we trust the devs. No matter how much they polish gameplays, you guys here still show concern or critique, hence it's relatively safer to base your pre-judgement on these games.
That comes after disappointment, unfortunately...right now, i`m more than wary of AC IV. Expectations are low

Sushiglutton
08-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Yeah I think it is bad in general. No game is perfect and if you expect that you will always be disapointed. Good to have a grandpa to dump disapointing games on ;)

reddragonhrcro
08-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Well pretty much depends on the game.

The current hype for GTA5 and the one that will come closing to release date will be big.Knowing R* Games the game will live up to the hype.
Same could be said for the MGS series especialy now MGSV when more info or content gets released.

ArabianFrost
08-24-2013, 08:44 PM
That comes after disappointment, unfortunately...right now, i`m more than wary of AC IV. Expectations are low

Yeah. Moreover, the devs are even less censoring when it comes to gameplay. I don't remember AC3 having that much public exposure. One one hand, I appreciate the devs' sincerity, however, this is good in that it showed us some of the negative aspects of the game early on. The devs aren't trying too hard to make the game look so different from the original experience, unlike the AC3 devs. If not for every game, I hope the recent wave of info and vids slap people back to reality.

While we're at it, I'll express what I think killed AC4 hype as I mentioned above. The combat isn't really all that different. They claim it's more difficult, but in reality it's only a slight change, but they didn't really go all pretentious with it, so I guess there's that to consider. I don't know if it's the same case with other Arkham-esque games, but one on one combat is still a button smash away. Eagle Vision is starting to get me on the doubtful side, cause I expect an assassin would be a master at stalking and predicting the enemy's next move. This is not necessarily news, but AC4 isn't out there to innovate the cores. It's basically a nice polish of every AC mechanic we ever had into one big game. Not that I mind it. They're heavily emphasising mechanics such as stealth we never had the chance of greatly experiencing. Basically, they're giving us the chance to play the mechanics WE HAVE WANTED TO PLAY FOR A LONG TIME BUT NEVER GOT IN COPIOUS AMOUNTS. Again, I really like their approach to polish, but when you have Mr.Yves forcing the devs to regularly introduce new mechanics so people don't crap on his yearly release, it becomes really hard to focus on making new mechanics AND building upon old ones in a very innovative way. What I want is simple. I want roofs. I want stealth. I want social. I want combat with a challenge. I want to plan my assassination and investigate how to do it. Ships are nice, but when are we going to have a classic AC game again? Just me, the roofs and the crowd. Maybe the devs should retry that. You never know what the large casual market might like. Even if, The Witcher 3 is a game that is heavily supported by a much more dedicated community and a large one at that. Cater to the hardcore gamers. They can surprise you and the casuals would sure like to try a bit of challenge.

Anyway, marketing sucks, hype sucks more.

reddragonhrcro
08-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Also talking about hype...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqSUZRQ4vIA

"HYPE HYPE HYPE...!!!!" XD

pacmanate
08-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Hype is bad if you let yourself fall into the trap.

Clockwork78
08-24-2013, 09:19 PM

I like you. It's partially on the developer and player in question, always approach with a bit of cynicism, i'm rarely disappointed because of that. Also, for the record, I absolutely loved AC3. Favorite of the series.

pacmanate
08-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Example.

AC3's new combat system -People were like "OMG OMG OMG his game is gonna be amazing"
AC3's new animation set - People once again somehow thought this was going to make the game amazing.
AC3's Naval - same thing

You just need to see what they show as what it is. New changes to naval? Great, they made changes, but it isn't going to mean the story is good :p

adventurewomen
08-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Hype is only an issue if you fall for the hype. :)

Just wait till you play the game, or whatever is hyped.

I-Like-Pie45
08-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Example.

AC3's new combat system -People were like "OMG OMG OMG his game is gonna be amazing"
AC3's new animation set - People once again somehow thought this was going to make the game amazing.
AC3's Naval - same thing

You just need to see what they show as what it is. New changes to naval? Great, they made changes, but it isn't going to mean the story is good :p
I don't think I ever saw anyone praise the combat system

I instead saw "Oh hey, its the exact same combat of hitting counter to win except now you can climb on trees and animals"

everything else though...

ladyleonhart
08-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Hype is only good if the game lives up to your expectations. However, everyone is different and there's no way the developers can cater to absolutely everyone. Then, it won't meet everyone's expectations.

So I would say, stay open-minded. Be happy about what you like but also be cautious because there's bound to be something you don't like. Unless, of course... the game's just been made for you. Then, you're just really lucky. ;)

poptartz20
08-24-2013, 09:47 PM
I honestly feel there is nothing wrong about getting excited for a game that you really want to play. I mean we all do it! I was excited/hyped about TLoU.And it didn't disappoint at all!

I guess you have to know what your really getting hyped about when it comes to the game or developers. Like with TLoU I absolutely love Naughty Dog and they haven't made a game I didn't like yet I trust them as the developers to produce a high quality product ever time. If it falls short, it's not by much.

I have high hopes for AC4 but I'm on a level of 3/10 of hype!

Clockwork78
08-24-2013, 09:49 PM
The thing with AC3's combat is it looked very cinematic in it's showing, very smooth, and the brand new animations and promise of difficulty made it all the more enticing. But what we were promised, we didn't receive.

SixKeys
08-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Hype is a weird thing. Back in 2010 I was so ridiculously hyped for ACB, I was almost certain the game couldn't possibly live up to my expectations. And yet it did. It's still my favorite AC (along with AC1). In contrast, I wanted to get hyped for ACR and AC3, but couldn't really manage it. Both ended up disappointing me. Many times I find that the games that really grab my attention for one reason or another end up not disappointing. Not always, of course, but often. Whereas if the trailers and previews can't get me hyped, the game won't impress me. I'm sort of in the middle with AC4 at the moment, so it could go either way.

I-Like-Pie45
08-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Assassin's Creed 3 should've been about Benjamin Franklin and how he contracted syphilis from the ******s of France instead of that Assassin vs. Templar, revolutionary war, and father vs son stuff

everyone would've loved it more

Oleg l Kirrlov
08-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Thank you guys! I just wanted to make sure I was going to get a game I love and have no regrets about getting it. Im just going to try to criticize the vids more now.