PDA

View Full Version : Edward's weapons arsenal lacking compared to Connor's?

projectpat06
08-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Does anyone else feel Edward's arsenal of weapons is a little lacking compared to Connor's in AC3?

Connor had:
-the rope dart to hang people with, trip up etc. (awesome dual kill)
-the bow and arrow
-trip mines (could be used as a counter weapon)
-smoke bombs
-poison darts
-snare trap (awesome counter weapon to strangle people)
-tomahawk and sword, warclub, or awe
-hidden blade that turned into a knife

Edward has:
-blow dart (prob not the coolest counter moves there)
-four guns (eventually)
-dual normal hidden blades
-dual swords
-maybe throwing knives???

My biggest concern regarding this topic has to do with the counter moves. I loved having a vast array of secondary weapons to perform counter moves. I could start a chain, tomahawk one guy while throwing the rope dart into another, put a gun to a guard's head throw him around to blast through his head at another guard, place a mine on a heavy guard, then wrap a snare trap around another's neck. Finally throw a smoke grenade to disappear to a ledge above, wait the smoke to clear, hang another guard, finish his buddy, then walk away.

I really hope there are weapons we haven't seen like a whip or something to hang people with. I would also like to be able to use more combinations than dual swords. I want to have the option to use a sword and knife, sword and hidden blade, sword and tomahawk, etc. I def don't want to see the snare trap strangle moves go to waste.

Thoughts??????

I-Like-Pie45
08-21-2013, 06:36 AM
I don't share your concerns.
I never even used 2/3rd of the stuff Connor (trip mines, smoke bombs, lol) had because there was no real reason to. And the horrid weapon wheel didn't exactly help.

Heck, there wasn't even any real reason to get new weapons because you could pretty much beat AC3 with the basic tomahawk + hidden blade arsenal with little trouble

Oleg l Kirrlov
08-21-2013, 06:46 AM
I don't share your concerns.
I never even used 2/3rd of the stuff Connor (trip mines, smoke bombs, lol) had because there was no real reason to. And the horrid weapon wheel didn't exactly help.

Heck, there wasn't even any real reason to get new weapons because you could pretty much beat AC3 with the basic tomahawk + hidden blade arsenal with little trouble
A gun on special occasion.

pirate1802
08-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Connor had a lot of useless **** in his inventory. If they are getting rid of it then its a good thing, not bad.

projectpat06
08-21-2013, 07:01 AM
Connor had a lot of useless **** in his inventory. If they are getting rid of it then its a good thing, not bad.

so I take it you killed people the same way the entire time you played ac3? Didn't that get boring? I like/want options when it comes to how I assassinate

Jexx21
08-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Edward has:
Fists
Dual Cutlasses
Dual Hidden Blades
Four Pistols (all single-shot)
Rope Darts
Blowpipe
Looted Throwing Knives/Daggers (small weapons) that we can throw
Possibly environmental weapons

Legitimate Connor weapons/tools:
Fists
Tomahawk
Sword (includes the other weapons that take the sword spot)
Dual Pistols (double shot at most)
Rope Darts
Bow and Arrows
Snares (can be used to choke an enemy out)

Weapons/tools not introduced in game at all:
Trip mines
Poison darts
Smoke bombs

Farlander1991
08-21-2013, 09:01 AM
In AC1, the four weapons + fists were enough. I'm all for variety, but I'm not up for it when it becomes useless. There was just too much useless things in AC3 (though, really, it has started in AC2, but there it wasn't as prominent as in ACB and ACR >_< ). The several types of melee weapons (tomahawks, swords, daggers, clubs and axes) - the difference between them was for the most part aesthetic, no significant advantages/disadvantages in combat, no advantages/disadvantages against certain types of enemies. Who actually used trip-wire in AC3? Like, in a mission? Even side mission? Was there EVER a reason to use it?

And it's not a problem just with AC3. For example, in both ACR and ACB we have the crossbow, which is like the mega-super weapon that makes throwing knives and hidden gun useless. Heck, in ACB we get poison darts that have range as big as the crossbows, making the poison blade useless. And the amount of bombs in ACR? Too many.

Basically, if Edward's arsenal is smaller than Connor's or Ezio's, but it makes up for it with each item having a certain use - then I'm all up for it and don't see a problem.

pirate1802
08-21-2013, 09:12 AM
so I take it you killed people the same way the entire time you played ac3? Didn't that get boring? I like/want options when it comes to how I assassinate

its not that. First of all the game doesn't even introduce me to many weapons, the smoke bomb for example. I almost finished the game without knowing they are there. Second, the main missions are linear as ****, barely encouraging me to try out different weapons/tactics. All you are left to do is experiment with them against random fight against street guards.

Jexx21
08-21-2013, 09:20 AM
In AC1, the four weapons + fists were enough. I'm all for variety, but I'm not up for it when it becomes useless. There was just too much useless things in AC3 (though, really, it has started in AC2, but there it wasn't as prominent as in ACB and ACR >_< ). The several types of melee weapons (tomahawks, swords, daggers, clubs and axes) - the difference between them was for the most part aesthetic, no significant advantages/disadvantages in combat, no advantages/disadvantages against certain types of enemies. Who actually used trip-wire in AC3? Like, in a mission? Even side mission? Was there EVER a reason to use it?

And it's not a problem just with AC3. For example, in both ACR and ACB we have the crossbow, which is like the mega-super weapon that makes throwing knives and hidden gun useless. Heck, in ACB we get poison darts that have range as big as the crossbows, making the poison blade useless. And the amount of bombs in ACR? Too many.

Basically, if Edward's arsenal is smaller than Connor's or Ezio's, but it makes up for it with each item having a certain use - then I'm all up for it and don't see a problem.

In AC1, fists were one of the four weapons.

Farlander1991
08-21-2013, 09:28 AM
In AC1, fists were one of the four weapons.

Well, technically speaking one of the five. Since throwing daggers and the knife were assigned to one slot.

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm not concerned as I previously felt no need to experiment like that with weapons. Sure I changed them every once and again. But then I settled with a couple I felt were more effective and useful in killing guards faster.

pacmanate
08-21-2013, 09:38 AM
I don't see his arsenal lacking at all. We didn't even know about trip mines or snares until AC3 came out.

Jexx21
08-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Well, technically speaking one of the five. Since throwing daggers and the knife were assigned to one slot.

Oh. Forgot about the hidden blade...

Jexx21
08-21-2013, 10:28 AM
I don't see his arsenal lacking at all. We didn't even know about trip mines or snares until AC3 came out.

uhh.. Snares were obvious.. because hunting.

pacmanate
08-21-2013, 10:33 AM
uhh.. Snares were obvious.. because hunting.

Not obvious for combat though

Farlander1991
08-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Not obvious for combat though

I didn't know they could be used in combat. Seems to be though pretty much the same as using the rope dart (and the rope dart is more versatile)

Jexx21
08-21-2013, 10:54 AM
actually snares in combat are op. they work as a counter for every single archetype.

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
I wonder if I could lure guards with bait now. Anyone done that? lol

Farlander1991
08-21-2013, 11:31 AM
I wonder if I could lure guards with bait now. Anyone done that? lol

No, only dogs are lured. But it would be cool if you could counter-attack with bait, like, THROW IT IN DA FACE for stun purposes :D

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 11:34 AM
No, only dogs are lured. But it would be cool if you could counter-attack with bait, like, THROW IT IN DA FACE for stun purposes :D
or even better throw them a whole live chicken!

I wish they did that in black flag... New weapon: chickens! :D

(but then... PETA...)

itsamea-mario
08-21-2013, 11:54 AM
actually snares in combat are op. they work as a counter for every single archetype.

So do pistols, and i'm pretty sure ropedarts do too.

pacmanate
08-21-2013, 12:01 PM
So do pistols, and i'm pretty sure ropedarts do too.

and bait

EchoFiveKilo
08-21-2013, 12:31 PM

I liked the huge variety of tools and weapons in AC3, it definitely adds to the fun factor for combat. Notice how less fun AC1 or AC2s combat is, with the limited animations and ways to kill.
I liked starting a chain with sword, double kills with pistols/rope dart, using snare etc.

dxsxhxcx
08-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Notice how less fun AC1 or AC2s combat is, with the limited animations and ways to kill.
I liked starting a chain with sword, double kills with pistols/rope dart, using snare etc.

IMO AC1 combat is better than 3 in many aspects but that's just my opinion, and I'm glad they're removing useless weapons, next step, remove different kind of swords, daggers, etc, because they don't make any difference in combat from what I can remember

Ureh
08-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Yeah I think Edward has everything covered. Not to mention his ship is bigger and more versatile than Connor's.

Jexx21
08-21-2013, 05:33 PM
The Aquila is actually slightly larger than the Jackdaw.

Sigv4rd
08-21-2013, 09:37 PM
The Aquila is actually slightly larger than the Jackdaw.

"It's not the size of your ship, it's how yah use it lad..."
~Edward Kenway :)

LoyalACFan
08-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Never used smoke bombs, poison darts, snares, trip mines, or the horse whistle. If all of that superfluous crap is gone, I won't miss it.

projectpat06
08-21-2013, 10:49 PM
I don't understand why having a bunch of options to to play the game isn't favored. I feel like having only a few weapons, tools, gadgets, etc would get boring after a while. The extra tools only made the game more fun and brutal. It would get repetitive quickly

BATISTABUS
08-21-2013, 11:09 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/787563-Could-ACIV-Black-Flag-Naval-combat-be-worse-than-AC3
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/787577-AC-BLACK-FLAG-combat-animations
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/787721-Blow-Darts-going-the-way-of-Bombs
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/787465-Horrible-animation-in-AC4-Black-Flag-that-NEEDS-to-be-fixed

Can we calm down about all of this preemptive complaining? These are all threads from the first two pages, and they're all individual concerns about things that are either obviously going to be fixed, or way too soon to judge. Relax people, or at least don't make individual threads to complain about premature judgments for the same trailer. I don't mean to point this thread out in particular, it's just the most active one at the moment.

As for having less weapons, I think that's perfectly fine. AC1 had 4 weapons (5 counting your fist); each served a specific purpose, and none felt excessive. I only hope that AC4 can find that type of sweet spot. AC2 through Revelations demonstrates a prime example of having a bunch of pointless weapons that all feel the same (and when they do anything, it only serves to make an easy game easier).

LoyalACFan
08-21-2013, 11:42 PM
I don't understand why having a bunch of options to to play the game isn't favored. I feel like having only a few weapons, tools, gadgets, etc would get boring after a while. The extra tools only made the game more fun and brutal. It would get repetitive quickly

Because it's false variety. You're not really doing anything different by using, say, a snare to choke out an enemy, it's just a different animation. I'd rather have five tools that each have a distinct strategic use than a dozen tools that all do essentially the same thing.