PDA

View Full Version : Gamescom live with Darby

White24Room
08-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Hi guys !

When is the live with Darby ?

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/369897299339538433

If the live is over, can we see it again ?

White24Room
08-20-2013, 11:26 PM
?

AidenPixxel
08-21-2013, 10:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOA7Cx2yNyg

27:00

Legendz54
08-21-2013, 11:22 AM
^ hahahaha glad they showed them The Last Of Us maybe they can all learn something.

ProletariatPleb
08-21-2013, 12:05 PM
^ hahahaha glad they showed them The Last Of Us maybe they can all learn something.
Like adding more cutscenes and ripping off movies? lol

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 12:19 PM

I loved The Last of Us. I agree. ^^

Legendz54
08-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Like adding more cutscenes and ripping off movies? lol

Nah...More like how to have emotional payoff and how to have a consistent story where you care about the characters.

ProletariatPleb
08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Nah...More like how to have emotional payoff and how to have a consistent story where you care about the characters.
In other words, Oscarbaiting instead of y'know...actually...doing something...GAME-y

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 12:28 PM
In other words, Oscarbaiting instead of y'know...actually...doing something...GAME-y
Did you play TLOU??

Legendz54
08-21-2013, 12:29 PM

Balance is important, too Gamey and people lose interest in the story and actually stop trying to continue the game.. Too movieISH and people are trying to skip cutscenes so they can get gameplay. TLOU got the balance just right and nailed it IMO.

ProletariatPleb
08-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Did you play TLOU??
Yes. And did you read what he wants them to learn?

Balance is important, too Gamey and people lose interest in the story and actually stop trying to continue the game.. Too movieISH and people are trying to skip cutscenes so they can get gameplay. TLOU got the balance just right and nailed it IMO.
I felt I was watching a movie more than the game, I did enjoy it but yeah it's not some 'prime' example kinda thing. What I mean to say is...AC story is generally okay IMO but gameplay is severely lacking.

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 12:36 PM

I felt I was watching a movie more than the game, I did enjoy it but yeah it's not some 'prime' example kinda thing. What I mean to say is...AC story is generally okay IMO but gameplay is severely lacking.
But that's the thing I liked the most. And that's why I bought it. And didn't regret it. If it was mostly gameplay I'd lose the immersion I had. I also loved all Uncharted games for the same reason.
For example: I tried to play Chrysis 2. Awesome gameplay and unbelievable graphics but I gave up playing at the beginning. I couldn't connect to the story or characters.

So, they got the balance right. At least for me.

ACfan443
08-21-2013, 12:38 PM
That scene in TLoU still gets me. However I don't think it's a good thing that they showed him that considering how cutscene heavy AC has already become, I'd rather they were inspired by gameplay.
I really don't like how the panel stream has been edited, why do the speakers keep getting cut off?

Legendz54
08-21-2013, 12:42 PM

The gameplay in TLOU was exceptional, we had the option of stealth, or guns blazing or even to mix it up. When it comes to gameplay it definitely felt gamEY to me. I think its just a different type of gaming.. TLOU has one story to tell and has a beginning, middle and end.. you have no control over how the characters act and it compels you to keep playing..Nothing fancy its just classic story telling. But I agree with your AC opinion.

FR0ZENZiNE
08-21-2013, 01:05 PM
But that's the thing I liked the most. And that's why I bought it. And didn't regret it. If it was mostly gameplay I'd lose the immersion I had. I also loved all Uncharted games for the same reason.
For example: I tried to play Chrysis 2. Awesome gameplay and unbelievable graphics but I gave up playing at the beginning. I couldn't connect to the story or characters.

If you want to see a movie then go to the cinema.

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Eh. No.

The GAMES I play are GAMES. Just as I want them. And they're usually the most successful with the most sales...
If some people don't like them then they should stop playing these GAMES.

I they're that bothered with cutscenes then they should stick to Tetris instead. No story there... (wait, even there there is a little...)

ACfan443
08-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Eh. No.

The GAMES I play are GAMES. Just as I want them. And they're usually the most successful with the most sales...

By trying to be movies. When a game tries too hard to be a movie you know it's struggling to find its identity.

Legendz54
08-21-2013, 01:42 PM
By trying to be movies. When a game tries too hard to be a movie you know it's struggling to find its identity.

TLOU is its own thing, I didn't feel it was trying to be a movie, Just a game that has a beginning, middle and end... so many games struggle with this basic concept its always sequel,sequel, prequel sequel it gets confusing. As i said its the most basic form of storytelling in games but it works.

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 01:53 PM
I've never felt an ID crisis in these games I've mentioned.

dxsxhxcx
08-21-2013, 02:28 PM

but this doesn't have anything to do with the cutscenes, if someone is interested in the game' story the same way they are for the gameplay and this game doesn't deliver a good experience in one of these two aspects IMO it's obvious that the player will find the game boring...

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 02:30 PM
but this doesn't have anything to do with the cutscenes, if someone is interested in the game' story the same way they are for the gameplay and this game doesn't deliver a good experience in one of these two aspects IMO it's obvious that the player will find the game boring...
But how will a proper story be told without any cutscenes?? I cannot get game story narration from gameplay alone.

dxsxhxcx
08-21-2013, 02:34 PM
But how will a proper story be told without any cutscenes??

I wasn't trying to say without cutscenes, but IMO a game doesn't need to have tons of cutscenes to tell a good story...

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 02:39 PM
I wasn't trying to say without cutscenes, but IMO a game doesn't need to have tons of cutscenes to tell a good story...
No, it doesn't. Just like TLOU has proved. I just don't understand the hate certain games get by a percentage of gamers saying that "it's too movie-like" etc. As if it's a bad thing. Well, if so, THAT'S the thing I like and I hope they never change it to appeal to a small percentage of gamers. And as the people in the interview said, if done right, you can connect with the characters within a few minutes.

ProletariatPleb
08-21-2013, 02:41 PM
But how will a proper story be told without any cutscenes?? I cannot game story narration from gameplay alone.
Cutscenes can be used to 'help' but hell telling story only through cutscenes? I mean look at Half Life games, Bioshock 1 they have very little cutscenes and yet excell at their storytelling method.

As if it's a bad thing.
IT IS

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Cutscenes can be used to 'help' but hell telling story only through cutscenes? I mean look at Half Life games, Bioshock 1 they have very little cutscenes and yet excell at their storytelling method.

I loved Bioshock 1 but I liked 2 and Infinite much better.

IT IS

It's not. Not when it's done right.

pirate1802
08-21-2013, 02:44 PM

By that logic: If you want to enjoy a story read a book...?

pirate1802
08-21-2013, 02:47 PM
[/FONT]

ARe you referring to those recording thingies? Been a while sine I played Bio 1.

ProletariatPleb
08-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Yes that is correct...
Imagine a game without story, that's simple. Now imagine a game without gameplay. Look at Dark Souls, it barely has a plot, has a lot of lore for those interested. What's it famous for? Gameplay. It's one of the best games I've ever played because it was a GAME, it didn't try to be a movie.

I dislike Memelands because I think paying for popculture references is stupid but that doesn't make it a bad game, are you getting what I'm trying to convey piratewa?

ARe you referring to those recording thingies? Been a while sine I played Bio 1.
Ehh...I mean how they convey the story through the gameplay, instead of cutscenefest. The recordings etc are a 'shock' invention so naturally they use it, lol but it usually only tells the backstory.

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 02:50 PM
It's one of the best games I've ever played because it was a GAME, it didn't try to be a movie.?
I'd better not play Dark Souls then. I won't like it by the sound of it. ;)

Farlander1991
08-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Cutscenes are a tool. Just one of many in the field of Interactive Narrative, which encompasses a LOT. And even game mechanics themselves can be used as part of narrative/character development (easier if it's skill-related).

And like any tool, it can be either used properly, or poorly. But it doesn't HAVE to be used to tell a good story.

Hell, there's this game, Thomas Was Alone. It's a story about blocks of different shapes. And you care about those blocks. And they have different personalities (all of which is showed not only through their narration, but how they play), different complexes. And each of them has got character development. And no cutscenes. Mechanics and narration are used to tell a story (and the story wouldn't work without the mechanics, the characters wouldn't have their personalities without the mechanics).

ACfan443
08-21-2013, 03:01 PM

A story is not simply tied to just a book though, stories have been through many mediums for centuries. He's talking about games trying to be movies, a game is a game, it should never try to be a movie. So yeah, if you want a movie experience, watch a film. If you want a gameplay experience, play a game. A story can still be told through both these things. AC1 wasn't cinematic at all, yet it told a good story.

Even though I hate it when games try to push a cinematic style, I still feel that TLoU as overall game was good,

pirate1802
08-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Yes that is correct...
Imagine a game without story, that's simple. Now imagine a game without gameplay. Look at Dark Souls, it barely has a plot, has a lot of lore for those interested. What's it famous for? Gameplay. It's one of the best games I've ever played because it was a GAME, it didn't try to be a movie.

I dislike Memelands because I think paying for popculture references is stupid but that doesn't make it a bad game, are you getting what I'm trying to convey piratewa?

Tried Dark Souls, couldn't get into it.. but then I'm a casual lol so. And there's more to Memeland's story than popculture references which are mostly found in the sidequests.

Ehh...I mean how they convey the story through the gameplay, instead of cutscenefest. The recordings etc are a 'shock' invention so naturally they use it, lol but it usually only tells the backstory.

My memory is a bit clouded, can you give me instances where the story was told through gameplay in that game? Not distrusting you, just can't remember genuinely.

pirate1802
08-21-2013, 03:06 PM
But yeah I get it, Sid. a game isn't a good GAME unless it has good GAMEPLAY, isn't it?

adventurewomen
08-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Cutscenes are needed for the context of Narrative and Story, in AC games. If you don't like cutscenes then just skip them. If you're looking for AC to have less cutscenes this will never happen.

catkiller97
08-21-2013, 03:09 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/578421_645450175495620_1792275640_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1175005_645449665495671_1510556706_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1185802_645449622162342_430173517_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1170744_645449678829003_1522283593_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/944774_645449638829007_1255246628_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/558575_645449628829008_1426210973_n.jpg

Source (https://www.facebook.com/ACTurkey)

pirate1802
08-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Cutscenes were overdone in AC3 though, I'd agree with that. Some missions consisted just of going to places and triggering cutscenes...

ProletariatPleb
08-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Tried Dark Souls, couldn't get into it.. but then I'm a casual lol so. And there's more to Memeland's story than popculture references which are mostly found in the sidequests.
I have played BLANDS (lol) and yes it does have other things, but the references are what stand out the most. I don't like too much grinding I suppose, for example quests in the same area. I'm an RPG lover so naturally I do every sidequest I can find but most of them seem to be going into an area and clearing it out only to find out that 10 minutes later you have to return to the same area, and then kill the same enemies and bosses. So gameplay wise...ehh I enjoy the weapon ideas like fire, explosive, purple sludge thingy, etc but the gunplay itself and overall the missions structure isn't my thing.

My memory is a bit clouded, can you give me instances where the story was told through gameplay in that game? Not distrusting you, just can't remember genuinely.
The environment for example, you go around and see people that have genetically modified themselves, splicers you fight them and then slowly through the game either via reading or just listening to Atlas talking, you find out more...that way. It's hard to 'give an example' lol.

But yeah I get it, Sid. a game isn't a good GAME unless it has good GAMEPLAY, isn't it?
Good/Bad is subjective really.

It isn't a "game" if all it does is 10 minutes of cutscenes and 20 seconds of arbitrary 'gameplay' ..........

Why are we having this debate on this thread anyway btw?

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 03:11 PM
So yeah, if you want a movie experience, watch a film. If you want a gameplay experience, play a game.
But I always had a great experience with the games people here seem to say that they "tried to be movies"?? I wouldn't have bought them in the first place...
And never once did I feel like I was watching a movie but instead... felt like I was playing a great game...

Cutscenes were overdone in AC3 though, I'd agree with that. Some missions consisted just of going to places and triggering cutscenes...
That, yes, I can agree. 2 seconds cutscenes are not really needed.

Megas_Doux
08-21-2013, 03:38 PM
The last of us has an AWESOME gameplay, at least to me.....

Cool new outfit in one of the pictures above.

ACfan443
08-21-2013, 03:46 PM
But I always had a great experience with the games people here seem to say that they "tried to be movies"?? I wouldn't have bought them in the first place...
And never once did I feel like I was watching a movie but instead... felt like I was playing a great game...

It's finding the right balance, when it's overbearingly cutscene/cinematic centric, then I forget I'm playing a game, however TLoU has great gameplay elements and a good story, which is why I like it too.

ze_topazio
08-21-2013, 04:06 PM
As a Metal Gear fan i am not really in a position to complain about cutscenes, compared to Metal Gear games all other game's cutscenes seem few and short, if i can endure and enjoy 10, 20 and even 30 minute long cutscenes i sure can endure a 4 or 5 minutes long cutscene.

pirate1802
08-21-2013, 06:42 PM
IThe environment for example, you go around and see people that have genetically modified themselves, splicers you fight them and then slowly through the game either via reading or just listening to Atlas talking, you find out more...that way. It's hard to 'give an example' lol.

Ahh gotcha.

Good/Bad is subjective really.

It isn't a "game" if all it does is 10 minutes of cutscenes and 20 seconds of arbitrary 'gameplay' ..........

I C

Sushiglutton
08-21-2013, 08:14 PM
*Sees criticism of TLOU, runs away crying*

Assassin_M
08-21-2013, 08:15 PM
It only shows how some who criticize the last of us never played it, if they`re saying that all it does is tell stories through cutscenes...

Farlander1991
08-21-2013, 08:15 PM
*Sees criticism of TLOU, runs away crying*

And we gave this guy the role of the lead psychiatrist on the forums >_<

LoyalACFan
08-21-2013, 08:24 PM
It only shows how some who criticize the last of us never played it, if they`re saying that all it does is tell stories through cutscenes...

This. TLOU had more story content in its gameplay than any other game I've seen in recent memory.

Sushiglutton
08-21-2013, 08:24 PM

Yeah that is a pretty gross misrepresentation. Take for example the scene in which Ellie is hunting. Very effective way to convey character growth through gameplay while at the same time give the sense of desperation and hardships. Pretty funny that the hunting mechanic is better than in AC3 even though it's just designed for five minutes...

And we gave this guy the role of the lead psychiatrist on the forums >_<

I thought we ended up with patient lol?

Assassin_M
08-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah that is a pretty gross misrepresentation. Take for example the scene in which Ellie is hunting. Very effective way to convey character growth through gameplay while at the same time give the sense of desperation and hardships. Pretty funny that the hunting mechanic is better than in AC3 even though it's just designed for five minutes
I purposefully prolonged it..

This. TLOU had more story content in its gameplay than any other game I've seen in recent memory.
Letters, notes, artifacts, environments and even gameplay mechanics...

Farlander1991
08-21-2013, 08:30 PM

Which is why I NEVER talk about games I've never played, regardless if I might be predisposed more negatively or positively towards them.

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 08:31 PM
The horse riding was really well done, too!!

LoyalACFan
08-21-2013, 08:32 PM
The horse riding was really well done, too!!

I wasn't particularly impressed with it, but I've been spoiled by RDR's mocapped horses :p

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 08:33 PM
I wasn't particularly impressed with it, but I've been spoiled by RDR's mocapped horses :p
Well... *whispers* compared to AC3 horses...
I haven't played much RDR to compare it with. lol

LoyalACFan
08-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Well... *whispers* compared to AC3 horses...
I haven't played much RDR to compare it with. lol

Lol, AC horses have traditionally been terrible. After playing AC1 and 2, the horses in RDR were orgasmic, despite their occasional AI tomfoolery :p

Assassin_M
08-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Which is why I NEVER talk about games I've never played, regardless if I might be predisposed more negatively or positively towards them.
Which is probably wise too..you`re bound to rub someone who actually played it themselves and he/she will put down the law for you..

Last of us was somewhere between RDR and AC...it was up there with RDR. probably the closest thing ever to mo cap..

LoyalACFan
08-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Last of us was somewhere between RDR and AC...it was up there with RDR. probably the closest thing ever to mo cap..

They seemed like they were running in slow-motion though. Their gait was kinda funky. I probably just picked up on it a little more than most people since I grew up around horses.

Assassin_M
08-21-2013, 08:52 PM
They seemed like they were running in slow-motion though. Their gait was kinda funky. I probably just picked up on it a little more than most people since I grew up around horses.
Did you know you could gallop?? since some people missed that

LoyalACFan
08-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Did you know you could gallop?? since some people missed that

Yeah, and it did look better, but not as good as RDR :p

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 08:54 PM
I grew up around a donkey. I'm serious... My aunt used to have donkeys and I would go for err... "rides" every time I went to our country house.
If I see a game using donkeys I'll make sure to comment with my expertise though! :)

White24Room
08-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the link :)

Assassin_M
08-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Yeah, and it did look better, but not as good as RDR :p
Agreed then xD

LoyalACFan
08-21-2013, 09:08 PM
I grew up around a donkey. I'm serious... My aunt used to have donkeys and I would go for err... "rides" every time I went to our country house.
If I see a game using donkeys I'll make sure to comment with my expertise though! :)

RDR had donkeys too once you got to Mexico ;)

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 09:11 PM
RDR had donkeys too once you got to Mexico ;)
I have to re-start playing RDR then! I will be the best donkey rider! :cool:

Assassin_M
08-21-2013, 09:12 PM
How did you not notice the Donkeys?? how many times did you play RDR?? SPEAK, CRIMINAL

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 09:13 PM
How did you not notice the Donkeys?? how many times did you play RDR?? SPEAK, CRIMINAL
I stopped playing right at the start. U spoiled the end fer meee, rememberrrr?? LOL

Assassin_M
08-21-2013, 09:14 PM
I stopped playing right at the start. U spoiled the end fer meee, rememberrrr?? LOL
oh yeah :|

I`m sorry...but I did tell you that the journey counts too >_>

ProletariatPleb
08-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h we aren't talking about TLOU's story, it was about the extensive use of cutscenes in games and how some games minimalize it.

Sushiglutton
08-21-2013, 09:15 PM

Or perhaps the best donkey lady :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q7v4F8r9Og

Assassin_M
08-21-2013, 09:16 PM
it was about the extensive use of cutscenes in games and how some games minimalize it.
Which was a reply to someone saying they might learn something from TLoU

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Or perhaps the best donkey lady :p

ahahaahaa!!!! That's me then!

... Wait, this is not a glitch!?

Sushiglutton
08-21-2013, 09:20 PM
ahahaahaa!!!! That's me then!

... Wait, this is not a glitch!?

There was some glitch in the game (or maybe they hacked it) that made some humans behave like animals. Here is the creepy cougar man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVVXyKP1FVk

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 09:23 PM
There was some glitch in the game (or maybe they hacked it) that made some humans behave like animals. Here is the creepy cougar man:]
dats CREEPYYY!!!

BATISTABUS
08-21-2013, 11:00 PM

So how about that Darby thing???