PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed III - Most Underrated and Underappreciated Game of Past Gen

STDlyMcStudpants
08-20-2013, 06:09 PM
I come to this forum everyday to check up on some news and throw in my opinion and day after day I see stuff like AC3 ruined the series...AC3 is a downfall, how can they recover??....
I know I'm going to get so much hate for this but it is true. Please allow me to explain why AND compare it to a game with the same issues AC3 had but for some reason is praised at a higher level.
Why so much bad press?? Let's dive in a little..
It's no secret that Assassin's Creed III was glitchy, people had twins when they shouldn't and bears and deer would get stuck in rocks. Is this really a reason to knock down a game? Glitches and bugs?
Let's take a quick look at Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Skyrim was easily the glitchiest bug filled game I've played in a long time. If you fell down a hill in just the right crevice, you would have to re load your past save which could easily be a 10 minutes to a half hour away as you could not climb out of it...And forget bears getting stuck in rocks..how bout Mammoths flying away from you?
Boring combat, reppetitve dugneon missions, lackluster puzzle and treasure finding, and last but not least an uninteresting story.
YET Assassins Creed III received an average critic score of 85 and Skyrim received ad average critic score of 92.

So what exactly is the reason AC3 received such low praise when it did everything better than Skyrim minus of course abundance, which I prefer quality over quantity any way....
Is it because they don't cater to the steriotypical gamer? (No spells and junk, not customization..no option to be a woman)

Let's move on from being under rated because what is a rating any, but an opinion? My opinion is Assassins Creed III is a 95 and Skyrim is an 88
Let's talk about why Assassin's Creed III is underappreciated.

I really need to just hit you with one word and one word only----- ORGANIC
Assassins Creed III is the most organic video game in history let alone this past gen.
You don't run up mountains like in skyrim....you CLIMB THEM... you dont run into trees...you run up them.
The frontier was a distinct place you could memorize, it wasn't a cluster of copy and paste...no two sections were the same....The frontier was alive..you could touch it and feel it, it was a city of it's own.
This organicness brings you into the world and is the most over looked and unappreciated aspect of AC3.
Asssassin's Creed III has set a new standard with what an open world game should be....All and everything should be interactive.

But hey, I'm just a fanboy sharing his views.
One who truly can not understand why such a beautiful game receives so much hate.

silvermercy
08-20-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't understand it either... but oh well...

(I think everyone's busy watching the Gamsecom... expect more comments later... lol)

DavidPage
08-20-2013, 06:23 PM
I don't understand it either... but oh well...

(I think everyone's busy watching the Gamsecom... expect more comments later... lol)

Come over at the Discussion thread, I miss your presence!!!

silvermercy
08-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Come over at the Discussion thread, I miss your presence!!!

Aye capt'n!!

LoyalACFan
08-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Superb tree-running and rock climbing can't make up for a botched story, almost no stealth, and godawful mission design. IMO at least. That, to me, is why AC3 disappointed. And this

The frontier was a distinct place you could memorize, it wasn't a cluster of copy and paste...no two sections were the same....The frontier was alive..you could touch it and feel it, it was a city of it's own.

Is true, but it's hardly unique to AC3, or even the AC series. Other open worlds like Red Dead, Arkham City, and GTA can be just as memorable and varied.

I'm not trying to bash your opinion, because AC3 did have a lot of good things going for it, but to me they were overshadowed by unforgivable flaws that I mentioned above.

ladyleonhart
08-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Nice post. :)

I also loved the Frontier. It was very beautiful and realistic. Then I felt like you could just lose yourself there. I really enjoyed parkour in the trees and I loved the climbing.

Also, I know there were glitches and I did encounter some, but I just enjoyed the game overall. That's the reason I can overlook it's flaws.

One thing about it's flaws, however, I think the developers were trying to give us something new and fresh. That does mean changing the game mechanics and experimenting with different mission designs. Sure it doesn't always work, but I would rather they try new things to give us the best game that they can. Without change improvement isn't possible. They changed a few things from earlier games and the result was some things worked and others not so well. Then, I'm sure ACIV will also be an improvement by taking the best elements and expanding upon them. Again it won't be perfect, and I'm not expecting it to be and I don't think I've actually come across a game I thought was perfect. Anyway, I'm more than willing to give it a try. :D

pacmanate
08-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Great, yeah, technically it was great. But had a weak story, uninteresting character for me, and two protags.

Chariflame
08-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Agreeing with others; asides from some glitches the game itself played rather wonderfully, but the story was weak compared to previous games and very unfulfilling for the culmination of so much of the plot.

Bastiaen
08-20-2013, 06:56 PM
I agree. AC3 is my favorite game of all time. It had flaws, but I'm an optimist. No one, and nothing is perfect, and I look for the best in them.

Sushiglutton
08-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Strongly disagree. Mission design, lackluster core gameplay, too much low quality content, butchered modern day story, way too long and slow beginning, unpleasent/dull protagonist. Have discussed all these things in detail before and I'm pretty sick of it tbh. AC3 is far behind other modern action/adventure games like Arkham City and The Last of Us. I have not played Skyrim for exactly the reasons you listed, that it's packed with tedious content. The existence of Skyrim does not excuse AC3 though.

SixKeys
08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Most underrated? LOL. Most of the big review sites gave AC3 the usual 9 or 8.5. It was the highest-selling entry in the series so far. A truly underrated or underappreciated game is probably some great indie title practically no-one has heard of because the company couldn't afford the kind of marketing Ubi has.

For what it's worth, I don't care about Skyrim, not my type of game. AC3's glitches and bugs were only so noticeable due to the quality in previous entries in the series. I don't usually bother to complain about bugs in AC because they've never been bad enough to hamper my enjoyment. AC3 was the first one where I experienced several game-breaking glitches to the point where even I couldn't dismiss them. The game probably wouldn't have disappointed me so much had it not come on the heels of other titles which were handled much better.

silvermercy
08-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Am I the only one who got just two glitches? O_o One of them was funny, too.

ze_topazio
08-20-2013, 07:49 PM
The frontier is nice but its not the greatest accomplishment ever in the history of video games and i don't think most people play this series because of interactive forests which by the way it is not as interactive as you make it seem, people criticize the game itself, not the frontier.

Sushiglutton
08-20-2013, 07:53 PM

Glitches was a tiny part of my problem with AC3. I hardly ever mention it. Glitches happen and I agree some were kind of funny. I was launched like 50m up in the air on two occasions and then desynched as I landed lol.

ProletariatPleb
08-20-2013, 07:55 PM
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/8/89055/1643120-tommyleejones.jpg

X360 Magazine – 9/10
OXM – 8/10
OXM Italy – 10/10
Meristation – 8.5/10
NowGamer – 7/10
Eurogamer – 9/10
G4 – 5/5
CVG – 8/10
Polygon – 8/10
IGN – 8.5/10
Gamespot – 8.5/10
Strategy Informer – 9/10
God is a Geek – 7/10
Edge – 8/10
Destructoid – 7.5/10
Playfront (German) – 10/10
4Gamers – 92/100
PS3gen (French) – 19/20
GameTrailers – 9.2/10
Game Informer – 9.5/10
PlayStation Official Magazine UK – 7/10
PS3Gen – 9/5/10
Joystiq – 3.5/5

Also 12 million+ sales.

SixKeys
08-20-2013, 08:10 PM

X360 Magazine – 9/10
OXM – 8/10
OXM Italy – 10/10
Meristation – 8.5/10
NowGamer – 7/10
Eurogamer – 9/10
G4 – 5/5
CVG – 8/10
Polygon – 8/10
IGN – 8.5/10
Gamespot – 8.5/10
Strategy Informer – 9/10
God is a Geek – 7/10
Edge – 8/10
Destructoid – 7.5/10
4Gamers – 92/100
PS3gen (French) – 19/20
GameTrailers – 9.2/10
Game Informer – 9.5/10
PS3Gen – 9/5/10
Joystiq – 3.5/5

Also 12 million+ sales.

A+ post.

Jexx21
08-20-2013, 08:29 PM
lol you haz STD in your name

remind me not to have sex with you

TheHumanTowel
08-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Most underrated? LOL. Most of the big review sites gave AC3 the usual 9 or 8.5. It was the highest-selling entry in the series so far. A truly underrated or underappreciated game is probably some great indie title practically no-one has heard of because the company couldn't afford the kind of marketing Ubi has.

For what it's worth, I don't care about Skyrim, not my type of game. AC3's glitches and bugs were only so noticeable due to the quality in previous entries in the series. I don't usually bother to complain about bugs in AC because they've never been bad enough to hamper my enjoyment. AC3 was the first one where I experienced several game-breaking glitches to the point where even I couldn't dismiss them. The game probably wouldn't have disappointed me so much had it not come on the heels of other titles which were handled much better.
All of this. I have to laugh when some AC3 fans act like liking AC3 is some controversial against the grain opinion. It sold hugely well and got good reviews. Since when is 85 a poor score? To say AC3 is underrated and underappreciated is dodgy in itself but the most underrated game this entire gen? Good Lord.

shobhit7777777
08-20-2013, 08:35 PM
lulwat?

Freedom Fighters is and underrated/under-appreciated game
Vietcong is an underrated/under-appreciated game

Assassin's Creed 3 is an insult to my intelligence and a waste of my time.

The fact that it has a such positive reviews and 12 million units sold only shakes my faith in video game journos and the playerbase.

No other game pisses me off like AC3.

ProletariatPleb
08-20-2013, 08:38 PM
lulwat?

The fact that it has a such positive reviews and 12 million units sold only shakes my faith in video game journos and the playerbase.

Nailed it..

Also freedom fighters ._. dammit I'm hoping for a sequel so bad...but it's just idk...WHERE IS IT

ACfan443
08-20-2013, 08:45 PM
lulwat?

Hahaha, I love your posts.

ProletariatPleb
08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Hahaha, I love your posts.
It's nothing but the truth.

pacmanate
08-20-2013, 08:53 PM
IGN has a show called game scoop and they were talking about how AC3 was a let down on this weeks episode

ACfan443
08-20-2013, 08:56 PM
It's nothing but the truth.

AC3 had a lot of good things about it though, they were just severely overshadowed by its copious imperfections. I'll forever remain bitter and unforgiving over its ruthless butchering of the modern day.

adventurewomen
08-20-2013, 08:57 PM
I enjoyed AC3 the game did have it's moments where glitches got in the way & the story should have been better at times, however I enjoyed the game. AC3 is like a diamond in the rough. :)

Jexx21
08-20-2013, 09:02 PM
AC3 was disappointing but I still consider it to be the same quality as the rest of the AC series.

shobhit7777777
08-20-2013, 09:08 PM
I enjoyed AC3 the game did have it's moments where glitches got in the way & the story should have been better at times, however I enjoyed the game. AC3 is like a diamond in the rough. :)

I am sorry to inform you Ms. Women, but thats an undigested corn kernel in digested roughage....:(

adventurewomen
08-20-2013, 09:11 PM
I am sorry to inform you Ms. Women, but thats an undigested corn kernel in digested roughage....:(
Just say Ma'am next time lol, it's easier..lol

AC3 wasn't that bad..come on now.

shobhit7777777
08-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Just say Ma'am next time lol, it's easier..lol

AC3 wasn't that bad..come on now.

I'm sorry, Ma'am....but I hate AC3...its a matter of principles for me.

That said..I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Good night.

But seriously, wash your hands...

Xangr8
08-20-2013, 09:17 PM
I know, the game's very underrated...

adventurewomen
08-20-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm sorry, Ma'am....but I hate AC3...its a matter of principles for me.

That said..I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Good night.

But seriously, wash your hands...
That's fine I respect your opinion.

The last sentence, that the strangest comment ever, like TF was that. >__>

LightRey
08-20-2013, 09:23 PM
@OP: Because AC3 was a great game, but a bad AC game.

shobhit7777777
08-20-2013, 09:24 PM
That's fine I respect your opinion.

The last sentence, that the strangest comment ever, like TF was that. >__>

I'm Batman

LightRey
08-20-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm Batman
Hey! I called dibs on Batman D:

shobhit7777777
08-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Hey! I called dibs on Batman D:

http://www.the-isb.com/images/BatmanPoint.jpg

let me tell you something...

I don't care about Connor's brooding
I don't care about the colour of Ezio's coat
I don't care about a godamm synch system
I don't care about f**kd up fan fic

I don't give a ****
I do care about the core gameplay....creative...engaging...innovative...gam eplay. I'm here to deliver gameplay justice.
I'm not here to make friends, share photos, discuss my family line or some other nonsensical, non-essential BS on a game forum. I don't give a ****

I'm here to ensure timely, constructive feedback and maintain the balance between the crap stuff being shoehorned into AC and actual mechanics that are meaningful.

I may not be always successful in this endeavour. I may not be the most popular. I may piss people off. I may not actually make a dent in the development of a game which is far beyond my reach....but I will keep at it. You may hate me...but I'll take it.

I will fail, **** up and face defeat....but I'll get right back up and get posting.

And that is why...my sig reads 'I'm Batman'.....and yours is a ball of warm glowing light and a thank you note.

I'm Batman...

STDlyMcStudpants
08-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Strongly disagree. Mission design, lackluster core gameplay, too much low quality content, butchered modern day story, way too long and slow beginning, unpleasent/dull protagonist. Have discussed all these things in detail before and I'm pretty sick of it tbh. AC3 is far behind other modern action/adventure games like Arkham City and The Last of Us. I have not played Skyrim for exactly the reasons you listed, that it's packed with tedious content. The existence of Skyrim does not excuse AC3 though.

I 100% agree about the modern day story..it felt so stale with what could have been an insanely powerful ending.
I compared AC to Skyrim because Skyrim surprisingly felt very much like AC to me..not in tems of mechanics..but in terms of environment and the feeling i got while playing it..it is a VERY relaxing game that you get to play at your own pace much like AC is...you arent forced to kill something everytime you turn a corner unless you are doing a mission..it is worth the playthrough..but it is in no way better than AC at anything but crafting haha

LightRey
08-20-2013, 10:00 PM
http://www.the-isb.com/images/BatmanPoint.jpg

let me tell you something...

I don't care about Connor's brooding
I don't care about the colour of Ezio's coat
I don't care about a godamm synch system
I don't care about f**kd up fan fic

I don't give a ****
I do care about the core gameplay....creative...engaging...innovative...gam eplay. I'm here to deliver gameplay justice.
I'm not here to make friends, share photos, discuss my family line or some other nonsensical, non-essential BS on a game forum. I don't give a ****

I'm here to ensure timely, constructive feedback and maintain the balance between the crap stuff being shoehorned into AC and actual mechanics that are meaningful.

I may not be always successful in this endeavour. I may not be the most popular. I may piss people off. I may not actually make a dent in the development of a game which is far beyond my reach....but I will keep at it. You may hate me...but I'll take it.

I will fail, **** up and face defeat....but I'll get right back up and get posting.

And that is why...my sig reads 'I'm Batman'.....and yours is a ball of warm glowing light and a thank you note.

I'm Batman...
=.=
Touchι...

STDlyMcStudpants
08-20-2013, 10:01 PM
@OP: Because AC3 was a great game, but a bad AC game.
I could get behind that statement...if it didnt have AC attached i believe it wouldve got 10s or extremely close to 10s across the board :D

SixKeys
08-20-2013, 10:16 PM
I could get behind that statement...if it didnt have AC attached i believe it wouldve got 10s or extremely close to 10s across the board :D

Possible. Expectations definitely wouldn't have been as high which could have worked in the game's favor. It's hard to predict whether the overall reactions would have been more positive though. What other game considers it a "mission" to walk 10 feet from cutscene to cutscene? What other game calls itself stealth and makes stealth practically impossible? What other game relies heavily on horse travel and makes them so terrible to control they get stuck on each tiny pebble?

eaglefan129
08-20-2013, 10:17 PM
urg im not to sure Spec Ops The line is more deserving of that title

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 10:26 PM
I love AC3. Although, I don't think it's underrated or underappreciated. It deserves the fan reception it got IMO.

Gi1t
08-21-2013, 02:53 AM
Although I don't feel the reaction to AC3 was unfair (the usual freakouts aside of course; every game has those people), I think your comparison with Skyrim is very accurate. :) I think Skyrim does suffer from a lot of the same issues I've heard people mention in AC3 and I think AC3 gets a lot more blame for them than Skyrim does. But I can see why Skyrim got more positive reception by comparison. Basically, they were promising different things. Skyrim was basically promising better graphics a couple new features and Dragons, which were a success. Skyrim kind of got credit for being a step up, where AC3 was looked at as kind of being the same thing as the last couple games, but with different content. A lot fo what Skyrim messed up was older stuff; skills they cut out, how they changed the leveling and the balance between the skills, as well as issues with some of the quests being rather limited in terms of options...stuff I didn't expecct them to screw up really. -__-

In other words, I think there was more disconnect between what AC3 players were expecting and what they got. As for glitches, Elder Scrolls is definitely one of those game where glitches are almost impossible to avoid and I guess people just go in expecting wierd **** to happen here and there, so even though I think Skyrim definitely had more technical probems than any previous ES game, it got less flak because people kind of went in expecting them. AC is a different kind of game where glitches aren't usually par for the course. It may have a ton of content for an action game, but it still falls into that class and so even though they made this expansive world and tons of side stuff, people didn't classify it as an ES type game, so it didn't get excused nearly as much. But yeah, I think Skyrim was probably just as bad in technical terms too. I had some pretty major screwups occur; permanent ones, and the frequency of freezes and other major glitches slowly drained my interest in playing it, though I still got my money's worth out of it.

AC2_alex
08-21-2013, 03:18 AM
Call of Booty: Black Cops Too

Jexx21
08-21-2013, 03:34 AM
Blackman: Arkham Origins

AC2_alex
08-21-2013, 03:35 AM
A.ss Creed

frankmrw1
08-21-2013, 03:44 AM
I feel can lodge itself firmly http://denver.ukmerritt.com/1.jpg
http://denver.ukmerritt.com/2.jpg
http://denver.ukmerritt.com/3.jpg
http://denver.ukmerritt.com/4.jpg
http://denver.ukmerritt.com/5.jpg

Megas_Doux
08-21-2013, 03:47 AM
Well, I really like AC3, but I understand some of the hate it gets. However there are certain topics, concerning mistakes of the WHOLE franchise, that are blamed only on AC3.

The_Heisenberg
08-21-2013, 07:40 AM
I don't believe AC3 was underrated at all. Their are many fans who enjoyed that game such as myself. However, I feel as if the story and the stuff which wasn't in the final product, was what dragged it down. Other then that, it was a decent game.

misterB2001
08-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Looking at some of the ratings given on an earlier page, I think it could be argued that AC3 is overrated rather than underrated.

Don't get me wrong, parts of it were technically excellent. Deformable snow, rain/thunderstorms, foot placement!!!

The combat was a huge improvement, the Naval felt fresh and looked amazing. The new animations, tree climbing were fresh and interesting.

All of those should have immersed us deeper in the world....

But what killed it, for me, was the actual game play. The mission structure, constant loading screens, pathetic side content, awful Ai etc simply killed it.

Add to that the most mundane and uninspiring cities and you have a game that wants to be great, that should have been great, but isn't.

It feels like there were large swathes of the game that were rushed.

What it hopefully does mean, is that Ubi will take on board the criticism and work on making a tighter game, even if that does mean scaling it down slightly.

LightRey
08-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Yup. It simply didn't live up to certain Assassin's Creed 'standards', so to speak. Many fans were expecting quality in certain areas that it simply lacked. It made up for it in other areas, but for an Assassin's Creed game the sacrifices were more significant.

Ureh
08-21-2013, 02:59 PM
I agree with everyone. It was somewhat disappointing. The buggiest AC game + a few half baked gameplay ideas. And the entire series culminating to a few seconds of Vidic screentime, Daniel, and a few Abstergo security guards (armed with sticks). I guess Connor, his behavior, and his heritage might've also earned the ire of quite a few fans who didn't like Altair either.

itsamea-mario
08-21-2013, 03:05 PM

X360 Magazine – 9/10
OXM – 8/10
OXM Italy – 10/10
Meristation – 8.5/10
NowGamer – 7/10
Eurogamer – 9/10
G4 – 5/5
CVG – 8/10
Polygon – 8/10
IGN – 8.5/10
Gamespot – 8.5/10
Strategy Informer – 9/10
God is a Geek – 7/10
Edge – 8/10
Destructoid – 7.5/10
4Gamers – 92/100
PS3gen (French) – 19/20
GameTrailers – 9.2/10
Game Informer – 9.5/10
PS3Gen – 9/5/10
Joystiq – 3.5/5

Also 12 million+ sales.

no Sid, you can't say that, these guys have to be the underdogs!

Bastiaen
08-21-2013, 04:33 PM

Most AC glitches make me laugh. It's the thing about glitches, unless the are completely game breaking (I don't mean immersion breaking, or that you have to restart your console, or even that your console crashes, I mean that it totally destroys your save game to the point that you have to start over) then it's something to chuckle about and move on.

ProletariatPleb
08-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Most AC glitches make me laugh. It's the thing about glitches, unless the are completely game breaking (I don't mean immersion breaking, or that you have to restart your console, or even that your console crashes, I mean that it totally destroys your save game to the point that you have to start over) then it's something to chuckle about and move on.
Yeah...

silvermercy
08-21-2013, 04:45 PM
The funny one I got was the spinning bar customer! He was elevating, too. I went into the bar every time just to see him. lol

The funniest AC3 glitch I've seen is the one where Connor is err.... doing something naughty to a redcoat. (The redcoat died in the end). lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikXlAAItheE

Shahkulu101
08-21-2013, 04:53 PM
I have this funny glitch in ACB when Desmond is being controlled by Juno to stab Lucy and he never does it and the screen is forever froze and I can't complete the game despite it being my favourite...gut wrenching laughter I tell ya

STDlyMcStudpants
08-21-2013, 05:54 PM
I agree with everyone. It was somewhat disappointing. The buggiest AC game + a few half baked gameplay ideas. And the entire series culminating to a few seconds of Vidic screentime, Daniel, and a few Abstergo security guards (armed with sticks). I guess Connor, his behavior, and his heritage might've also earned the ire of quite a few fans who didn't like Altair either.
I fell through the map in AC revelations and got stuck playing AC 2...neither happened to me in AC 3

poptartz20
08-21-2013, 06:13 PM
I personally loved AC3 but I do understand why many feel the way they do. It really is like a diamond in the rough. It literally had the potential to be easily the greatest one in the series. Just somewhere between development and final production something got lost along the way.

TypeCyther
12-20-2014, 01:52 PM
I liked AC3, definitely underrated personally... liked even more so after reading Forsaken. I felt they explored the possibility of an Assassin-Templar truce, however temporary, in this game in a much more pronounced manner if Ezio and Altair's stories had something similar. We have Ratohnhake:ton (yes, I prefer to call him this than Connor XD) out loud wondering if that's possible, and even Haytham considering it practically in the entirety of his life. Then, we get something of a cooperation in the form of Arno and Elise. ^^

I hope he'll be the ancestor of Galina or something just to tie him up to the modern day once again.

Rodin4
12-20-2014, 05:25 PM
I just finished AC3 and I understand a bit on why people were against it but to me, it still a good game and its about 7-8 out of 10.

JustPlainQuirky
12-20-2014, 05:49 PM

X360 Magazine – 9/10
OXM – 8/10
OXM Italy – 10/10
Meristation – 8.5/10
NowGamer – 7/10
Eurogamer – 9/10
G4 – 5/5
CVG – 8/10
Polygon – 8/10
IGN – 8.5/10
Gamespot – 8.5/10
Strategy Informer – 9/10
God is a Geek – 7/10
Edge – 8/10
Destructoid – 7.5/10
4Gamers – 92/100
PS3gen (French) – 19/20
GameTrailers – 9.2/10
Game Informer – 9.5/10
PS3Gen – 9/5/10
Joystiq – 3.5/5

Also 12 million+ sales.

lmfao

Pr0metheus 1962
12-20-2014, 05:51 PM
It's no secret that Assassin's Creed III was glitchy, people had twins when they shouldn't and bears and deer would get stuck in rocks. Is this really a reason to knock down a game? Glitches and bugs?

It's a reason. It's even a good reason. But the problems with AC3 go far deeper.

The history was tacked on rather than an inherent part of the storyline. Also, Connor is shoehorned into every major historical event. The gameplay was uninspiring, as were the settings: Boston didn't even feel like Boston - and I used to live there. The wilderness gameplay felt like they were trying to copy Red Dead Redemption. The city gameplay didn't even feel like an Assassin's Creed game, having too little climbing and too much time spent following rats in sewers. Then there's the fact that Connor was intensely unlikeable and even boring. Finally, it had by far the worst ending of any AC game.

So no. It's not just the bugs. The game was poor in so many ways. But heck, if you liked it, that's fine - for you. Just don't expect me to agree that one of the most overrated games of the past generation was the most underrated.

Hans684
12-20-2014, 05:58 PM
It's a reason. It's even a good reason. But the problems with AC3 go far deeper.

The history was tacked on rather than an inherent part of the storyline. Also, Connor is shoehorned into every major historical event. Then there's the fact that Connor was intensely unlikeable. Finally, it had by far the worst ending of any AC game.

So no. It's not just the bugs. The game was poor in so many ways. But heck, if you liked it, that's fine - for you.

At least reliving his memories did more than Arno's memories.

DeanOMiite
12-20-2014, 06:08 PM

The history was tacked on rather than an inherent part of the storyline. Also, Connor is shoehorned into every major historical event. Then there's the fact that Connor was intensely unlikeable. Finally, it had by far the worst ending of any AC game.

So no. It's not just the bugs. The game was poor in so many ways. But heck, if you liked it, that's fine - for you.

AC2 SPOILER AHEAD

Not sure why this thread got necrobumped after over a year but...whatever.

I will agree that Connor got shoehorned into major historical events...I guess I just don't have a problem with that. I feel like if Connor didn't get to participate in the Boston Tea Party or talk to George Washington at Valley Forge, people would have been like "wow, what a missed opportunity to have Connor see all that awesome stuff!" As for the ending...I thought AC3 had the weakest present day story of any of the previous games and the ending was weak, so I do criticize it for that. That being said...present day story doesn't factor into how I feel about any of the AC games. The star of an AC game is, in order, 1) The city/cities and 2) The assassin. I don't care about what's happening today. But on the topic of the ending, I think the AC2 ending was worse. AC2 is BY FAR my favorite game in the series, but the whole "No, killing you won't bring my family back" nonsense they made Ezio do at the end of the game was total horsecrap. Ezio assassinated like 20 high ranking targets throughout the game (not to mention everyone he killed in ACB and ACR) yet for some reason we're supposed to believe that when he finally gets to THE bad guy, THE guy who caused the whole thing, he's not willing to kill that one last person? I understand the real Rodrigo Borgia didn't get murdered in the Vatican in 1501 or 1507 or whatever year it was so they couldn't have Ezio kill him there, but they didn't have to take that COMPLETE cop-out, either.

But whatever...to each his own. I don't comment in threads because I want people to like the games I like in the order that I like them, but I do agree with the OP that the hate for AC3 surprises me. I loved AC3. AC2 was my favorite, Black Flag number 2, and AC3 after that, and AC3 had my favorite multiplayer...even though only shipping the game with 7 maps was weak.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-20-2014, 06:09 PM
At least reliving his memories did more than Arno's memories.

Yes, well AC3 does have the dubious honor of no longer being the worst AC game.

VestigialLlama4
12-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Yes, well AC3 does have the dubious honor of no longer being the worst AC game.

Yay...
It's amazing how much nicer AC3 looks in comparison to UNITY.

1) AC3 was glitchy but UNITY was a disaster, and AC3 now looks like a smooth engine in comparison.
2) AC3 had a stoic hero and an over-the-top historical focus, UNITY has an Ezio Clone and no historical context whatsoever.
3) AC3 has complex villains, UNITY has baby-eating psychos.
4) AC3 had lots of different varied side missions, UNITY has the same side missions over-and-over again.

The truth is that both games suffer from the same basic flaw...the developers had no real engagement with the period. They made the game because someone thought it would be a cool time period to play or that they had an idea (Native American Assassin) and went with it, but the game designers didn't have the same level of interest. AC3 comes off better because the by-the-numbers tacked on historical context and plethora of content still makes the game worth playing and investing oneself in unlike UNITY where the lack of creativity is truly appalling. They didn't care about ther American and French Revolutions on any real level and no one bothered to ask if a revolutionary setting with its politics and contradictions is too ambitious for their shoes.

That said, I like AC3 solely because its the first AC game and for me the playfulness of the story, the opening section and then the slow introduction to the hero was something I liked, it felt really novelistic and covering thirty years of history. It's a game that has real ambition, tries many things and it sins by excess. It had a lot of potential there which ultimately didn't get tapped and in-between it just tries a million different things and puts stuff up in the air. You can walk into the pub any time and there's some small activity or other waiting for you and the personal story, the oedipal conflict works well.

I like a game that is a failure because it overreaches on its ambitions rather than a game that doesn't even try because its afraid of its shadows.

EmbodyingSeven5
12-20-2014, 07:14 PM
I come to this forum everyday to check up on some news and throw in my opinion and day after day I see stuff like AC3 ruined the series...AC3 is a downfall, how can they recover??....
I know I'm going to get so much hate for this but it is true. Please allow me to explain why AND compare it to a game with the same issues AC3 had but for some reason is praised at a higher level.
Skyrim was easily the glitchiest bug filled game I've played in a long time. If you fell down a hill in just the right crevice, you would have to re load your past save which could easily be a 10 minutes to a half hour away as you could not climb out of it...And forget bears getting stuck in rocks..how bout Mammoths flying away from you?
Boring combat, reppetitve dugneon missions, lackluster puzzle and treasure finding, and last but not least an uninteresting story.
YET Assassins Creed III received an average critic score of 85 and Skyrim received ad average critic score of 92.

So what exactly is the reason AC3 received such low praise when it did everything better than Skyrim minus of course abundance, which I prefer quality over quantity any way....
Is it because they don't cater to the steriotypical gamer? (No spells and junk, not customization..no option to be a woman)

Let's move on from being under rated because what is a rating any, but an opinion? My opinion is Assassins Creed III is a 95 and Skyrim is an 88

Assassins Creed III is the most organic video game in history let alone this past gen.
You don't run up mountains like in skyrim....you CLIMB THEM... you dont run into trees...you run up them.
This organicness brings you into the world and is the most over looked and unappreciated aspect of AC3.
Asssassin's Creed III has set a new standard with what an open world game should be....All and everything should be interactive.

One who truly can not understand why such a beautiful game receives so much hate.

To me Elder Scrolls and an assassins creed game just shouldn't be compared. its like comparing gta 5 to the sims..
I also don't like when someone trys to bash another game to make theirs seem better.
Skyrim and assassins creed have very different fanbases
I like Skyrim Tons more than I do AC 3................ and I really do like AC 3.
Skyrim also had tons of activities and missions to take part in them none of which feeling repetitive or stupid.
Each crypt and cave had a narrative and was hand crafted.
AC 3 Had decent quantity and very very poor quality in its missions. liberation missions were the most repetitive thing in AC history, right next to AC 2s side activities. for Christ sake AC 3s assassination missions boiled down to ( actually were) kill this random thug with a musket wondering around a building unguarded. (Also for and unknown reason)
he hunting missions were boring. and I only cared to do 3 before ignoring them completely.
AC 3s glitch's were way more prominent than that of Skyrims by far. you cant go 3 minutes in AC 3 without encountering a floating musket, twitching body or a flying cart.
In Skyrim I very rarely encountered immersion breaking glitches such as these.
ACs feel like cash ins at times while Bethesda takes years and years to create and perfect their games story and lore.
AC had literal copy and paste at least 30 times in each city.
I remember the names and layouts of cities in Skyrim making them feel real and unique.
I loved the stories missions given in Skyrim. and generally the creepy buildings and crypts I discovered myself carrying dark secrets.
Skyrim lived up to and expanded upon its hype meter when released while AC 3s actual game couldn't even touch its own hype level.

rprkjj
12-20-2014, 07:17 PM

I like AC3, but don't you DARE bring Skyrim into this. That game is immersion Χ1000, no other game really comes close besides Fallout. It's a living, breathing world. As for AC3, it's probably one of my least favorite AC games. It's pretty lackluster compared to other AC games imo.

EmbodyingSeven5
12-20-2014, 07:19 PM
I like AC3, but don't you DARE bring Skyrim into this. That game is immersion Χ1000, no other game really comes close besides Fallout. It's a living, breathing world. As for AC3, it's probably one of my least favorite AC games. It's pretty lackluster compared to other AC games imo.

http://thumbpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Internet-High-Five.jpeg
YES!!!!!!!!

STDlyMcStudpants
12-20-2014, 08:45 PM
A year and a half old...
I still stand by everything I said lmao
I also stand behind comparing it to skyrim
And notice I compared it to skyrim as whole game... not as a genre..
please get your panties out of its bunch :D

Hans684
12-20-2014, 08:56 PM
AC3 > Unity(story wise, both historical and MD)

I-Like-Pie45
12-20-2014, 09:01 PM
skyrim is poopoo

bethesda are even bigger poopoo jabroni heads than *ockstar

ea better company than bethesda

killzab
12-20-2014, 09:01 PM

This !

AC3's MD was my favourite (except for the ending of course).

I enjoyed so much playing a modern assassin....

JustPlainQuirky
12-20-2014, 09:04 PM

That's like comparing Shakespeare to Twilight.

Not a fair comparison.

wickywoowoo
12-20-2014, 09:04 PM
People going on about glitches in AC3 (I don't remember any personally) and Unity need to remember that Skyrim was unplayable on PS3 for about 10 MONTHS until they released that massive patch that fixed it corrupting game saves, freezing after a save file hits 3MB or something and generally just dying.

Ubisoft aren't the only company who botch things but on this forum, you'd think they were Satan making video games.

EmbodyingSeven5
12-20-2014, 09:05 PM
A year and a half old...
I still stand by everything I said lmao
I also stand behind comparing it to skyrim
And notice I compared it to skyrim as whole game... not as a genre..
please get your panties out of its bunch :D

did you read my points??

it still beats AC 3 as a game. I never said you compared it as a genre so please learn to read;)

Also I have points that still stand soo...........

Hans684
12-20-2014, 09:11 PM

Not a fair comparison.

XD

True.

This !

AC3's MD was my favourite (except for the ending of course).

I enjoyed so much playing a modern assassin....

Indeed, it deliver while not being the best. Unlike Unity that doesn't deliver and isn't the best.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-20-2014, 09:20 PM
did you read my points??

it still beats AC 3 as a game. I never said you compared it as a genre so please learn to read;)

Also I have points that still stand soo...........

You werent the only one crying :P
I loved skyrim... its in my personal top 5 games of all time... but so is AC3..placed even higher though
Better in terms or preferences are subjective....
Better in terms of mechanics and structure... not a chance...
AC3 has a better story than skyrim...better level design... better mission structure..better voice acting...
Skyrim doesnt do anything better than Assassins Creed 3...
As much as I love Skyrim... its massively repetitive....
Kind of how Unity was...
Unity is more comparable to Skyrim and Skyrim wins there both blow for blow and overall...
But overall AC3 beats skyrim :P

EmbodyingSeven5
12-20-2014, 09:27 PM
You werent the only one crying :P
I loved skyrim... its in my personal top 5 games of all time... but so is AC3..placed even higher though
Better in terms or preferences are subjective....
Better in terms of mechanics and structure... not a chance...
AC3 has a better story than skyrim...better level design... better mission structure..better voice acting...
Skyrim doesnt do anything better than Assassins Creed 3...
As much as I love Skyrim... its massively repetitive....
Kind of how Unity was...
Unity is more comparable to Skyrim and Skyrim wins there both blow for blow and overall...
But overall AC3 beats skyrim :P
I would see how you and me would disagree. you once said you hated the hitman franchise. (one of my favs). so maybe we should accept we like different things in life and walk away as friends??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????

http://data1.whicdn.com/images/18173196/large.jpg

EmbodyingSeven5
12-20-2014, 09:29 PM
skyrim is poopoo

bethesda are even bigger poopoo jabroni heads than *ockstar

ea better company than bethesda
GO EA!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://i.imgur.com/X7jHZN2.jpg

STDlyMcStudpants
12-20-2014, 09:32 PM
I would see how you and me would disagree. you once said you hated the hitman franchise. (one of my favs). so maybe we should accept we like different things in life and walk away as friends??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????

http://data1.whicdn.com/images/18173196/large.jpg

deal hahah... AC4: Hitman

Zafar1981
12-20-2014, 09:36 PM
I never consider ACB and ACR as games but as an expansion of AC 2. Now compare AC 2 with AC 3 you won't see a step forward even if you want to compare Unity also you won't see any innovation.
When we played original AC we have few side quest, saving civilian or priest, steeling letter, eavesdropping, collecting flag and killing few targets. AC 2 have a bag full of side quest side assassinations, beating husband, courier services, race, subject 16 codes, assassins temple, plus a story which still feel interesting while playing number of times.
I am not saying AC 3 was a bad game it was a huge game and I certainly praises the weather system of the game, hunting and sea quests. But if you compare the story and characters(excluding Haytham) with AC 2 you found them boring. In my opinion Guns are destroying the beauty of an Assassin game. I liked the game because of sword fighting. When I first saw fighting demo of AC 1 I fell in love with it. The moves, counter, style it all looks amazing. Either you want to believe me or not but the majority of the AC fans came from Prince of Persia series and they all played this game because of the same game play in a new way.
I certainly think guns are destroying the series and that's why people are saying that after AC 3 the downfall starts because the guns are becoming a part of every game since AC3.

Hrafnagud72
12-20-2014, 11:41 PM
People going on about glitches in AC3 (I don't remember any personally) and Unity need to remember that Skyrim was unplayable on PS3 for about 10 MONTHS until they released that massive patch that fixed it corrupting game saves, freezing after a save file hits 3MB or something and generally just dying.

Ubisoft aren't the only company who botch things but on this forum, you'd think they were Satan making video games.

That's because this is a Ubisoft forum. Go to other game company forums and you will see similar things about them. Pointless to talk about another game company on these forums.

wickywoowoo
12-21-2014, 12:09 AM
That's because this is a Ubisoft forum. Go to other game company forums and you will see similar things about them. Pointless to talk about another game company on these forums.

People on here are crying as if Unity is the first and only time something like this has happened though.

SixKeys
12-21-2014, 04:10 AM

Not a fair comparison.

Comparing AC3 to Twilight is pretty harsh on Twilight.

Or were you implying something else?

TypeCyther
12-21-2014, 06:23 AM
I really would love to see what happens after he read Haytham's journal, and how he grew the Brotherhood after. They never did say anything else - I need to know! xD

killzab
12-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Comparing AC3 to Twilight is pretty harsh on Twilight.

Or were you implying something else?

It's the other way around actually.

She's comparing Unity to Twilight.

ACfan443
12-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Not a fair comparison.

Comparing the AC3's story to ACU's is like arguing over who has the shinier turd.

phoenix-force411
12-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Assassin's Creed III is definitely underrated and under appreciated. While it may not suit all tastes, it is not a bad game and remains as my favorite game within the Kenway saga.

Best of ACIII:

Combat: The combat is more responsive and is smooth. Kill streak animations and counter kills are kept short and brief depending on the weapon(sword animations tend to be longer). You can mow down waves of enemies with little trouble. Guns, however, allow you to kill enemies fast, but their reloading time is around 10 seconds to complete. Reloading is more realistic.

Navigation: Ground navigation is smooth and animations transition quite smoothly. Connor is able to navigate on trees and cliffs seamlessly. Parkour moves over objects added variety to exploration on foot, and some looked very flashy.

Action Camera: The action camera for ACIII was by far the best in the Kenway saga. It was always nice to see a double counter play out.

Homestead Missions: They are better structured and they feel very alive when compared to the mission structures of the main story missions. Also, you didn't have to worry about those frustrating optional objectives. Homestead Missions along with other side missions showd more personality and character development of the protagonist, Connor, more than the story missions. Lastly, it is a form of renovation, and you can clearly see the differences and the changes of a complete homestead in comparison to an incomplete homestead. The entire setting and layout is changed.

Snow: Although the element is not present very much, it did add more to the immersion and the wow factor of ACIII. It had its impact on the environment and how you would traverse the frontier. It didn't really impact cities very much.

Naval Combat: By far, it is the most realistic naval combat as it requires strategy to defeat every ship type. Man O' Wars are nothing if you know where and how to strike them. No ship is overpowered(including yours)and cannons do not reload in one second and this includes enemy ships too. Naval combat sound effects are more realistic and are louder too. Your crew is no stranger to you, and your crew actually has reloading animations. Ship speed, aggressive ocean waves, and wind current, actually impact combat and navigation much more.

Those are some of the best of ACIII's.

For story structure, though, I will agree that the mission structure was very awful and the optional objectives were just so frustrating that you were spending 90% of your time worrying about the fully sync requirements than the mission. Haytham took up three sequences which was a bad decision by the developers, because this was a Connor game and not a Haytham game. Aside from the cons, I was very glad that ACIII brought back the whole assassins and templars dilemma. ACIII reintroduced the story element where you start to question if the assassins or the templars were right. Lines became blurred. The Ezio Trilogy had the whole theme with the Templars clearly showing bad intentions and, obviously, being the bad guys. Sure, it worked in ACII, but when it got to ACB and ACRevelations, it got old.

dalpeva6
12-21-2014, 02:52 PM
The hype was too much for its own good.

Megas_Doux
12-21-2014, 03:13 PM
It's the other way around actually.

She's comparing Unity to Twilight.

I liked the historical story in AC III despite I dont enjoy Connor. Haytham shines and such. The combat was certainly entertaining too, but AC III΄s overall gameplay and mission design are THE WORST in this franchise to date! Linearity at its best in the likes of throwing boxes to the sea, being someone΄s chauffeur, having at best like 4 open assassination- Silas, William Johnson, Pitcairn- whereas the rest of them are linear or plain cutscenes....

Comparing the AC3's story to ACU's is like arguing over who has the shinier turd.

And I will say it!!!! Gameplay wise ACU is AC I 2.0!

Without the technical issues of course! A relatively "boring" stealth focused game, not very much of historical characters just because in the main quest -there are to be seen in the other missions though- and the overall feeling that you are nothing more than an assassin taking care of your targets. Story wise the motivation is different, of course.

Assassin_M
12-21-2014, 05:49 PM
I still stand by what I said when this was made. I don't think AC III was under-appreciated or underrated.

D.I.D.
12-21-2014, 08:52 PM
If Ubisoft have an underappreciated game of the last gen, it's not ACIII. If I was going to pick underappreciated Ubisoft games of the last gen then I'd be thinking of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Rayman Legends, and Driver: San Francisco.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-21-2014, 09:03 PM
I still stand by what I said when this was made. I don't think AC III was under-appreciated or underrated.

Idk.. AC3 getting less than a 9 was insulting to me...
lol

ze_topazio
12-21-2014, 09:14 PM
AC3 getting more than a 7 was insulting to me. :cool:

Shahkulu101
12-21-2014, 09:22 PM
AC3 existing is insulting to me.

Just kidding, I love Connor and like the story.

Namikaze_17
12-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Flawed as it really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really is, it's still a very underrated entry.

Or at least to me.

Feel free to disagree of course.

GunnerGalactico
12-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Flawed as it really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really is, it's still a very underrated entry.

Or at least to me.

Feel free to disagree of course.

Fully agreed.

Shahkulu101
12-21-2014, 10:13 PM
No game with multiple perfect scores can be called underrated. In fact, I'd say it's overrated -- how a game with so much flaws gets 8's, 9's and 10's is unfathomable to me.

Namikaze_17
12-21-2014, 10:19 PM
I don't watch Reviews, but that is odd indeed.

Yet Unity which is better in the gameplay aspect is getting low scores. :rolleyes: