PDA

View Full Version : Stick or game pad

Highalt
03-02-2004, 04:12 PM
what do u guys prefer? stick or game pad? which one i should buy?

Highalt
03-02-2004, 04:12 PM
what do u guys prefer? stick or game pad? which one i should buy?

InyerEye
03-02-2004, 04:20 PM
You are joking,right?
The only way to play this game is with the keyboard.

JK/ Joystick for sure.If you have the dough,get a joystick,rudder pedals and throttle.

http://www.btinternet.com/~lee_mail/Fw190-5.jpg

Bearcat99
03-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Get a stick... dont spend less than $40 US. Game pad....... LMAO!!! If you are using a gamepad in conjunction with a stck thats different... I wouldnt but hey..... Joystick... the only way to fly.

Highalt
03-02-2004, 04:25 PM
you know those game pads which have mini sticks on them rite? i was about to buy one today but then changed my mind and thinked about asking it to the board.

Highalt
03-02-2004, 04:37 PM
i was about to buy this one....

http://images.hepsiburada.com/assets/bilgisayar/500/bd23620.jpg

i know it is not a good brand but this is the only thing i can afford for now. it has small stick on it which seems like they operate like a stick but i m not sure.

What are your suggestions about that ?

Bearcat99
03-02-2004, 04:39 PM
My suggewstion is save up and get a joystick... otherwise your fun factor in FB will not be what it could be.

LeChuck59
03-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Bearcat's suggestion that you not spend less than $40 when buying a joystick is a very good one, but if you can't afford that you would still be better off with a $10 joystick than that gamepad.

The ideal low budget option is a Saitek Cyborg 3D. If you really have no money, a $20 will get you something made by logitech that should last at least a couple of months.

Highalt
03-02-2004, 04:49 PM
only a couple of months? i fly gently :)

LeChuck59
03-03-2004, 12:44 AM
For my purposes, I think it'd last a year or two, but guys on the board here seem to think they're only good for a couple of months. Even if it lasts forever, a really cheap joystick won't have the features you need to fly well.

When I got FB, it was the first flighsim I had played in years. I wasn't sure that I was going to enjoy myself, so I got a $20 Logitech Attack 3. I had no problems with its quality, though I'm sure many on the board would never touch the thing. The problem was that I couldn't control everything. If I wanted rudder, I had to take my fingers off the throttle keys. If I wanted to look around, I couldn't change my flaps with out finger gymnastics.

If you've got absolutely no money, you'll have to buy something cheap. But at least then you'll know exactly which features you want and can buy the best stick for you. Then return the cheapo, or give it to a friend.

robotech
03-03-2004, 01:05 AM
I say get a joystick. I've tried using one of those Gravis gamepads that comes with a removable stick and boy does that feel funny. THe stick is pretty short so your're kinda using the thumb to control the thing plus when you do the wild dogfight flying the gamepad w/ stick does not really feel comfortable, to me anyways. With my $20 Logitech joystick controling the plane is a lot easier.

LEXX_Luthor
03-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Wait up here...You can goto WalMarts and get an *excellent* hi quality Saitek Cyborg "Graphite" stick for 15$ or 20$. That's what I have been using for 6 months now and it is better built than any other stick made. Why?

It only has three (3) thumb buttons, but the buttons are the best you will find on any stick. They are far larger buttons and your thumb hits them naturally and efficiently.

It has the largest throttle on the base of any stick made, and its on the side and not the back like the more expensive Saiteks.

The more expensive rudder twist Saiteks have very little motion in stick movement. The Graphite has huge motion. By this I mean that the other sticks you push or pull for only a small wee bit and you reach the stops. The Graphite moves far more, closer to like a real life stick.

Also its smooth as silk. Again, it will last a long time, mine has so far. Very simple and rugged.

I do hate WalMarts though. But if all you have is 20$ you can't go wrong at least for a first stick. I plan on "sticking" with mine. Also, no software needed. Just plug and play in the USB port. If you must you can access the settings through Windows XP gaming hardware control panel. I carelessly played with my settings, messed it up, and set it to Default and it works fine.

Small problem...the 45 degree hat switches are not adequaetly differentiated from the basic up-down and side hat switches. I don't use them. I use mouse to look around (set mouse sensitivity to 10.0 in the FB Input Menu and you can look all the way around with the smallest mouse movement). The 4 up-down and side hats I use for other purposes like zooming or toggle gunsight view.

tip...for extra thumb efficiency, I put those little round half-hemisphere plastic sticky "bumpers" on the buttons. Could work on any stick if the buttons are large enough...again the buttons thumb buttons here are massive and you can't miss them anyway. I also put the bumpers on my mouse buttons for general computing efficiency.

Afreaka
03-03-2004, 04:16 AM
Stick :|

Gershy
03-03-2004, 04:20 AM
Stick,... anything else is useless.

Deepcold
03-03-2004, 04:21 AM
I'm playing all of my flight sim with a Wingman Rumble Cordless pad and, i'm very satisfy about it. The best parts is that, i don't have any wire to bother with, i can play racing sim or anything else with it and it's only a $25.00 solution.

My specs are:
Intel 2.66 processor
Asus P4S533-X Mobo
1024mb DDR333 RAM
GeForce 4 Ti4600 128mb running with 53.03 StarStorm driver
SoundBlaster Audigy
40gb Samsung HD
Windows Xp Home Edition w/SP1

uberweng
03-03-2004, 05:55 AM
I have played il2 FB with a playstation dual shock 2 controller for a couple of weeks when my sidewinder broke. It wasnt as terrible as you would think. It has enough buttons to control most functions (poor mans HOTAS, not). Only problem is rudder control was tricky (like using keyboard) and even with special config it was a bit twitchy.

Uberweng

rangooon
03-03-2004, 05:59 AM
i use a stick and the nostromo n52 gamepad, the latter mostly being utilized for engine commands. good combo for me.

http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/118/118940/pages/277850/30.jpg

capt_frank on HL http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/118/118940/pages/277850/girl38none.JPG

SeaFireLIV
03-03-2004, 06:02 AM
A long time ago.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No! Please listen! I had flight sim and had a Gamepad with a little stick thing for the control. "Woohoo!" I thought joyfully, this will do. I don`t need no proper joystick."

Bust my fingers trying to fly and had no fun at all. Bought proper joystick = Much fun!

Bearcat99
03-03-2004, 07:22 AM
Get a stick with rudder.... you will not be able to fully appreciate the sim without it. It will be unneccessarilly cumbersome.