PDA

View Full Version : How dumbed down will AC4 be ?

kmeckazadruga
08-18-2013, 11:12 PM
So i'll start by saying i am a big fan of the Assassins Creed series and i've been in the gaming industry for over 22 years. I know what's at stake here and i'm fairly confident i know what "the game" is.So let's go down to facts.

Ashraf Ismail the director of AC4 has stated numerous times that they've made the combat harder and sneaking more of an option for the most part.He also stated that the game will be appealed to players who don't want to know anything about the story and just want to pick the game up and get lost in the world.We all know who these players are. We know why they're appealing to them so much. We know why there's so many nowadays. What i don't understand is WHY they don't draw the line PROPERLY and appeal to BOTH type of players and logically SELL more than if you just appeal to one type of fanbase???

Lets be honest.
Through all the assassins creed series so far we didn't have one effective difficulty setting.Fact. Imagine buying the game and playing it. Now imagine having a simple menu you could pop up and simply click CASUAL PLAY or EXPERIENCED. Something along those lines. I'm sure you know what i mean roughly.This way we could all enjoy the game thoroughly and this is something the developers just need to understand. Players want OPTIONS!!! Inside the game and out! We want to be able to choose how hard the combat system will be, how hard the climbing system will be, how fast we'll be moving, how fast the ships will come at us, what damage will they deal, what the prices are at shops, how long we can use our sword.. etc etc. We don't want 1 difficulty setting for all and expect that it will be fine. It will not be fine.So even though it was said that the combat will be harder i just have to beg to differ.Combat hasn't been harder since AC1 and the climbing still uses the same ******ed system as before and it just got more ******ed over the years.I wanna see gaps where if i jump too late i will fall off and if i jump too late i'll fall over. I wanna see complicated climbing parts and puzzles where you have to think where to climb and how to jump and not just hold the "keep going" button.I wanna see THAT OPTION put in the game beside the ******ed system.

And now about the naval battles.
I've no idea if the developer team looked into any other games beside theirown, but i'd LOVE to have elements from Corsairs(PC) put into the game. Now i've seen some of those elements in the demo and presentations but i haven't noticed much variation. We're basically damaging the ship but its all just 1 point damage. Where are the sails damage? where is the crew damage? the cargo damage and the port and tail damage? That is something that would REALLY make the combat much more interesting in my opinion and would really add to the fun. Imagine taking the tail of the ship off and taking their sails down.Or maybe just the crew and destroy their cargo and leave?disable their rudder so they cant turn!Again, It gives the player OPTIONS! That's what makes the game fun.

These sort of things and more should really be looked at in my opinion. The game will be dumbed down. That's a fact. But do we really need it dumbed down and not have the option for the experienced players? Does it really take so much to make that happen and more importantly, is it worth it?

AherasSTRG
08-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Seems like AC is no longer the game for you.

adventurewomen
08-19-2013, 10:44 AM
At least wait to play AC4 to make a judgement.

kmeckazadruga
08-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Of course.

However what i've seen so far gives me very little hope that my judgement will be much different from what i already expect. I am probably wishing for too much but then again it's not asking the impossible, or is it?

Farlander1991
08-19-2013, 02:49 PM
I've no idea if the developer team looked into any other games beside theirown, but i'd LOVE to have elements from Corsairs(PC) put into the game.

You're from Russia/CIS country? Then change the name to Sea Dogs (for the first game) or Age of Pirates (for the third + Seaward's one), since forummers who will search that name for reference will find the strategy game. Unless, of course, that's the game you mean.

And, on a side note, the naval seems to have taken heavy inspiration from the cancelled Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned.

FU510NPR3D4T0Rx
08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
I agree don't judge it too soon

kmeckazadruga
08-19-2013, 09:22 PM
You're from Russia/CIS country? Then change the name to Sea Dogs (for the first game) or Age of Pirates (for the third + Seaward's one), since forummers who will search that name for reference will find the strategy game. Unless, of course, that's the game you mean.

And, on a side note, the naval seems to have taken heavy inspiration from the cancelled Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned.

No, I meant exactly what i wrote. Corsairs. It is a strategy/action/adventure game that's true, but that doesn't mean the developers can't take from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FfKbSvWPDU

And i did say to have developers use elements from that game, not everything.

For example you can see how the sails, hull and crew damage are kept seperate. You can see how you travel to trade with different ports and establish the economy. You can take any ship and then control THAT ship. You can make new ships,sell your ships, buy property, conquer land! To a degree i think this COULD be done in AC4 and be a lot of fun so why not?

Think of it like an addition to the naval combat or even just to add perhaps a later DLC that includes such things? I'd sure get my moneys worth.Its something to think about. Again, as someone who's been there for over 22 years and knowing what keeps the game fun for a long time i'd definetly put something like this in the game if i was making it for myself. It just seems natural to give players OPTIONS, especially in the game like this. You'll have so much more fun with a game that has more options and ways to approach the problems you face in the game than a game that has 2 or 3 paths that you can take and thats it. You wanna have the player trying out different strategies, economy markets, exploration paths, hunting plans and replaying the game because he doesn't know what the different result will be and wants to know threrfor motivating the player to try all the corners of the world. This is not easy, but with a game like AC4 (its a freaking pirate game!) its definetly doable.
I think.

And i am not from Russia. I am from Slovenia. Similar flags i know and even similar language(we can basically understand eachother roughly easy) but no, not the same country.

Ureh
08-20-2013, 04:43 AM
They've been simplifying the controls and gameplay since ACB, so I wouldn't be surprised if it became more "intuitive".

You've been part of the game industry for 22 years? Which games have you developed and are you currently working on a new game?

kmeckazadruga
08-20-2013, 07:34 AM
They've been simplifying the controls and gameplay since ACB, so I wouldn't be surprised if it became more "intuitive".

You've been part of the game industry for 22 years? Which games have you developed and are you currently working on a new game?

True but if you'd read what my original thought was a post before you would see i wasn't just talking about simplyfing the controls specifically.I was talking about adding options,features and controls that don't seem like they're gonna be added in the final release and can or say should probably be considered.
I have worked with a couple of local companies in my country and taken part in the works of quite a few games.These games were mostly adventure,arcade and fps games for the local public here.I've never worked on a major project for a major AAA game however but that does not mean i don't understand how the process works.I am currently working on a game that is a sort of a prequel to Aquaria. I don't know if you've ever heard about this game but if you haven't its definetly worth checking out. The game was made by two people from an independent group called Bitlot.

Farlander1991
08-20-2013, 07:37 AM
And i am not from Russia. I am from Slovenia. Similar flags i know and even similar language(we can basically understand eachother roughly easy) but no, not the same country.

Ok. Didn't look at the flag. Just the games Sea Dogs/Age of Pirates (which are pirate Action/RPGs) are known as the word that is 'Corsairs' in those respective countries, and some people call them like that in English, and it just seemed to me to be a closer reference for inspiration for a pirate action adventure than a strategy game. Just wanted there to be no confusion, just in case.