PDA

View Full Version : AC3 has a virus?

Cookie_Monsta__
08-17-2013, 09:26 AM
I have tried logging in to play AC3 for a couple of months now. I have changed password etc. but always got a message that I coudnt log in.

This morning I turned on my PC to have a report from AVG that AC3 is infected with Win32/DH{Exctew}.

I am pretty hot on security and malware and run regular checks, this has never come up before?

I removed the virus and boom, I can now log into ubisoft?

Any ideas on how my PC became infected?

MIGHTY399740
08-17-2013, 01:54 PM
I have tried logging in to play AC3 for a couple of months now. I have changed password etc. but always got a message that I coudnt log in.

This morning I turned on my PC to have a report from AVG that AC3 is infected with Win32/DH{Exctew}.

I am pretty hot on security and malware and run regular checks, this has never come up before?

I removed the virus and boom, I can now log into ubisoft?

Any ideas on how my PC became infected?

Download Malwarebytes Antivirus and scan your computer, then post the result here.

MortarHog
08-17-2013, 02:36 PM
I just got the same infection.

veovis77
08-17-2013, 11:45 PM
I've got this, too, as of the current update. According to AVG's website, this variant has only shown up in the last few days, and it seems to be AC3 players mentioning it.

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/virus-and-malware-information/info/win-dhexctew/

Black_Widow9
08-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Hello,
Can you please let me know if you are using Steam to access AC3.

Thanks

veovis77
08-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Hello,
Can you please let me know if you are using Steam to access AC3.

Thanks

No, I have a physical copy which only uses uPlay.

edrobotguy
08-19-2013, 03:20 PM
I have the same problem. AVG tells me that AC3MP.exe contains the virus. I downloaded my copy directly from Ubisoft, not using steam. This download took place after UBI's security breach, which tells me that Ubisoft is still compromised. I can get by without multiplayer mode, but if Ubisoft is putting viruses on my computer then I want my money back.

Black_Widow9
08-20-2013, 02:34 AM
Please make sure you contact Support and let them know by also including what exact file it is saying has an issue.
Ubisoft Support Website (http://support.ubi.com/)

It could just be as simple as AVG needing to update.

xVoxMortem
08-20-2013, 03:36 AM
^As someone who's also experiencing this, I can assure you that it's not AVG needing an update.
I thought it was that, but I updated it and I kept getting the same warning.

Anyway, if you're experiencing this like I was, try adding AC3MP.exe to the exception list on AVG and it will be fine. I did that and now it works.
Also if you re-installed AC3 completely, I'm not sure but I think this is still gonna work (considering you'll still get the warning after re-installing).

Edit: If you're re-installing the game, you'll get the warning as you update it (something like on the picture) so I suggest you temporarily disable AVG until you finish updating.
http://i39.tinypic.com/350wawn.jpg

cgascoyne
08-20-2013, 11:34 AM
this has also just turned up on my computer as well an I have a retail copy that I installed and had to install uplay to play and that installed all the updates but I have not played in a month (having to much fun on Planetside2) I have not accessed uplay since yet I now have this virus showing up IS IT A FALSE POSITVE FROM AVG OR IS IT A VIRUS FROM UPLAY?
I followed your link to support and got sorry we cant proccess your request we are having technical difficulties.
NOT THE ONLY ONE UBISOFT

veovis77
08-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Please make sure you contact Support and let them know by also including what exact file it is saying has an issue.
Ubisoft Support Website (http://support.ubi.com/)

It could just be as simple as AVG needing to update.

Unfortunately, that's only useful if the people responding to the tickets actually read them. I've had a response along the lines of "update drivers, check background processes" etc. This is not helpful when it's the executable for the game triggering a virus alert.

Frustratingly, I can't respond on the ticket itself at the moment, as the support system is down (as per cgascoyne's post).

Ultimately, Ubisoft have put out an exrcutable that conflicts with a popular virus scanner; it's up to them to work with AVG to resolve the issue.

Tiholaznik
08-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Hi everyone,
I'd just like to report exactly the same issue. I've tried everything I know, deleted all folders containing this game and tried to do the clean installation. Nothing helped. I have a retail version of the game, but this doesen't really matter now. The fact is that all versions of the game (retail, Steam, game, that has been downloaded directly through Ubisoft store) have exactly the same issue. So I think that it has something to do with the files, which we all have installed. And I think that you should find the solution in collaboration with AVG. It is up to you now.
Please, don't let us down. We, who buy your games, certainly don't deserve to be ignored when it comes to such difficulties.
Please, try to solve the problem as soon as possible.

Kind regards