PDA

View Full Version : AC4 limitations on current generation consoles?

Hero416
08-17-2013, 01:09 AM
So on the gameplay trailers for Assassin's Creed 4, Ashraf Ismail constantly references the "next gen" consoles while explaining features in the game. Could this mean that there will be any gameplay limitations for the xbox 360 and playstation 3. I know that things like graphics won't be as good on the current generation consoles as it would be on the next generation consoles.

roostersrule2
08-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Only difference is graphics and things that will increase immersion.

Hero416
08-17-2013, 01:36 AM
okay thanks, it just something that bothered me a little bit. Since I know the next gen consoles are something they are really focusing on.

Zeusel111
08-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Like rooster said,no gameplay changes,only looks.

Dutchman141
08-17-2013, 03:00 PM
I hope they will show some graphical comparison videos between current gen and next gen at gamescom.
I pre-ordered ac4 for the 360 and I wouldn't mind seeing a trailer of how it looks in comparison to the ps4 or xbox one.
Getting a next gen console is a no go atm, I got a family to support, although I must admit ac4 looks amazing on the ps4.

At least the gameplay will be the same and if ac4 looks as good as ac3 did then I'll be happy enough.

roostersrule2
08-17-2013, 03:01 PM
I hope they will show some graphical comparison videos between current gen and next gen at gamescom.
I pre-ordered ac4 for the 360 and I wouldn't mind seeing a trailer of how it looks in comparison to the ps4 or xbox one.
Getting a next gen console is a no go atm, I got a family to support, although I must admit ac4 looks amazing on the ps4.

At least the gameplay will be the same and if ac4 looks as good as ac3 did then I'll be happy enough.AC4 will look better then AC3, AC has always been a good looking game regardless of the platform.

Dutchman141
08-17-2013, 03:13 PM
AC4 will look better then AC3, AC has always been a good looking game regardless of the platform.

I hope you're right and that it will look better then AC3. The 360 does have a lot less power the the next gen though, so I'm just curious on how it will actually look like.
The trailers we see are made on the ps4 and perhaps not a good representation on how it will look on the 360.
There are still millions of current gen players out there who just as I can't afford a new console (yet). It would be nice to see what you get and I'm not only thinking about the graphics but also the seamless world without loading-times for instance, will the 360 be powerfull enough for that ?......

I'm sure AC4 will be good on the 360 to though....

roostersrule2
08-17-2013, 03:15 PM
I hope you're right and that it will look better then AC3. The 360 does have a lot less power the the next gen though, so I'm just curious on how it will actually look like.
The trailers we see are made on the ps4 and perhaps not a good representation on how it will look on the 360.
There are still millions of current gen players out there who just as I can't afford a new console (yet). It would be nice to see what you get and I'm not only thinking about the graphics but also the seamless world without loading-times for instance, will the 360 be powerfull enough for that ?......

I'm sure AC4 will be good on the 360 to though....I'm sure the game will be more seemless then previous games, probably not as much as next gen however.

pacmanate
08-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Seemlessness is confirmed for 360 and PS3 :)

ctuagent15
08-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Rest easy

http://i.picpar.com/lEt.png

Dutchman141
08-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Seemlessness is confirmed for 360 and PS3 :)

That is good to hear, now it's just waiting for some comparison vids I guess, perhaps at gamescom who knows.

I think all AC games look good on the 360 and I'm enjoying them a lot, it just would be nice to see what you actually get compared to the amazing trailers we see now made on the ps4.

I realy like the change of scene ubisoft chooses in AC3 and AC4, Italy looks great and is a great stage for the AC series but it's very nice to experience something different in a different time and place. I have always hoped for a good Pirate game and after Sid's Pirates, that I played on the Commodore 64 allready, there hasn't been much out there. An AC series game in the Caribbean will be the best Pirates game out there in my opinion.

Dutchman141
08-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Rest easy

http://i.picpar.com/lEt.png

You beat me to it in posting :)

Now that is double good news !!

pacmanate
08-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Anyone getting it on this gen consoles shouldnt feel like they arent getting a good game..

Graphics are going to be on par or better than AC3. Heck, they could be the same as AC3 but due to Havana and the carribean being more colourful, it could look better anyway haha.

Next Gen just has all those little added details like wave simulation is better, translucency on leaves, better graphics. Its nothing game changing. I just like pretty things.

LightRey
08-17-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about this. On the one hand it is good that old gen players won't miss out on any content, but on the other hand I feel this will undermine the game's potential.

pacmanate
08-17-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about this. On the one hand it is good that old gen players won't miss out on any content, but on the other hand I feel this will undermine the game's potential.

How so?

Dutchman141
08-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Anyone getting it on this gen consoles shouldnt feel like they arent getting a good game..

Graphics are going to be on par or better than AC3. Heck, they could be the same as AC3 but due to Havana and the carribean being more colourful, it could look better anyway haha.

Next Gen just has all those little added details like wave simulation is better, translucency on leaves, better graphics. Its nothing game changing. I just like pretty things.

I think you're absolutely right, the carribean is a very colourfull place and in my opinion I think AC3 was a bit downtoned in color in comparison to the previous titles in Italy etc.
The colors on it's own will make AC4 look much more beautifull then AC3 I think.
And just like you, I like pretty things too :)

kingwasabi24
08-17-2013, 03:53 PM
I think you're absolutely right, the carribean is a very colourfull place and in my opinion I think AC3 was a bit downtoned in color in comparison to the previous titles in Italy etc.
The colors on it's own will make AC4 look much more beautifull then AC3 I think.
And just like you, I like pretty things too :)

The Mayan mission was pretty cool though, almost like an uncharted 3 mission.

Dutchman141
08-17-2013, 03:56 PM
The Mayan mission was pretty cool though, almost like an uncharted 3 mission.

I realy like the vids that show the lush and dense jungle. The way the plants moved when you sneak through them....great stuff.

LightRey
08-17-2013, 03:58 PM
How so?
Well, current-gen consoles will have to be capable of handling all the non-graphical elements. I haven't taken a good look at next-gen specs, but consoles are usually equipped with a relatively powerful CPU and a so-so GPU (contrary to most game-oriented PC's, which tend to have it the other way around). This suggests that the processor of the next-gen consoles will not be used to its full potential.

pacmanate
08-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Well, current-gen consoles will have to be capable of handling all the non-graphical elements. I haven't taken a good look at next-gen specs, but consoles are usually equipped with a relatively powerful CPU and a so-so GPU (contrary to most game-oriented PC's, which tend to have it the other way around). This suggests that the processor of the next-gen consoles will not be used to its full potential.

Well Watch_Dogs is being made for PC and ported down so maybe Watch_Dogs takes more advantage? Is AC4 being made for consoles or PC?

LightRey
08-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Well Watch_Dogs is being made for PC and ported down so maybe Watch_Dogs takes more advantage? Is AC4 being made for consoles or PC?
With the AC games the focus is generally on the Consoles. :P

Dutchman141
08-17-2013, 04:05 PM

I think I read somewhere that AC4 was being developed on PC

Edit:
A quote from from an early interview on Eurogamer, " We're building on PC right now, but we do have it running on all platforms."

LightRey
08-17-2013, 04:08 PM
on =/= for I'm afraid. :P

pacmanate
08-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Edit:
A quote from from an early interview on Eurogamer, " We're building on PC right now, but we do have it running on all platforms."

So maybe it wont hold back current gen? The only way they could make use of the PS4 and PC properly is having dedicated teams for each generation.

LightRey
08-17-2013, 04:12 PM
So maybe it wont hold back current gen? The only way they could make use of the PS4 and PC properly is having dedicated teams for each generation.
I sincerely doubt that. I'm pretty sure it's just common practice to develop on PC's.

pacmanate
08-17-2013, 04:15 PM
I sincerely doubt that. I'm pretty sure it's just common practice to develop on PC's.

Well duh, but Its what they develop for on PC :p

LightRey
08-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Well duh, but Its what they develop for on PC :p
Which is exactly what isn't being said. Hence the problem :P

pacmanate
08-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Which is exactly what isn't being said. Hence the problem :P

But that's what I was saying D:

LightRey
08-17-2013, 04:25 PM
But that's what I was saying D:
It's what you were asking for, it's not being confirmed. :P

pacmanate
08-17-2013, 04:26 PM
It's what you were asking for, it's not being confirmed. :P

I don't know what you are talking about so I leave now. bye bye.

ACfan443
08-18-2013, 12:24 PM
They could have achieved so much more if PC/next gen was used as the developing platform. I don't see anything wrong with porting down like Watch Dogs.

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 12:47 PM
All games are developed on PC then ported to consoles.

My Bachelor's Degree was Games Art, I've studied the art of creating games. :)

ACfan443
08-18-2013, 01:02 PM
All games are developed on PC then ported to consoles.

My Bachelor's Degree was Games Art, I've studied the art of creating games. :)

Why was AC3 so badly optimised for PC then?

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 01:05 PM
It isn't badly optimised what's poorly obvious is the AI and Psychics have been written badly, the odd texture glitch.

The Graphics side of AC3 looks amazing the best on PC, the graphics on PC are by far superior than compared to the other consoles.

BlastThyName
08-18-2013, 01:13 PM
It's painfully obvious that the current-gen consoles dramatically limit what devs can do with those next-gen platforms.

If you know where to look you will find many instances of low quality assets.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-assassins-creed-4
http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/0/0/1/6/6/2_2.bmp.jpg/EG11/resize/1280x-1

I think the game looks good enough (the water rendering looks ace) but let's be clear we are not faced with a true next-generation title. Maybe next year. :(

ACfan443
08-18-2013, 01:14 PM
It isn't badly optimised what's poorly obvious is the AI and Psychics have been written badly, the odd texture glitch.

The Graphics side of AC3 looks amazing the best on PC, the graphics on PC are by far superior than compared to the other consoles.

I'm talking about the framerate, if you go into te PC forum, there's a behemoth of a thread complaining about terrible framerate. Many have said it's badly optimised for PC.

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm talking about the framerate, if you go into te PC forum, there's a behemoth of a thread complaining about terrible framerate. Many have said it's badly optimised for PC.
I play AC games on my PC and consoles.. my PC's framerate decent I've had no problems.

ACfan443
08-18-2013, 01:27 PM
I play AC games on my PC and consoles.. my PC's framerate decent I've had no problems.

You must be lucky then. http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/737072-AC3-Low-FPS
There's no way it was developed on PC. What are dev kits for?

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 01:35 PM
You must be lucky then. http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/737072-AC3-Low-FPS
There's no way it was developed on PC. What are dev kits for?
Think about the second sentence again, of course games are developed on PC then ported to consoles

BlastThyName
08-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Think about the second sentence again, of course games are developed on PC then ported to consoles
The development environement is different though, they are not developping on PC first. The are setting their tools and pipeline, tuning their tech for consoles first then port to PC.

So, nope AC3 is not a PC-lead game like Watch Dogs for instance.

Whether or not you had framerate problems is irrelevant in itself, the CPU usage is objectively ****ed up.
The game should have been much better optimized for PC. I have tested the game on a 3960X OC'd CPU and still experienced framerate drops.

No matter how you slice it the game is not optimized as it should have been.

ACfan443
08-18-2013, 01:43 PM

I don't mean in the literal sense, I know games are developed on software on a computer, but it's programmed for a console first right?
Ubisoft said in a recent article that they're now using PC as the lead platform and porting down to console, rather than the other way which they had done before

BlastThyName
08-18-2013, 01:45 PM
I don't mean in the literal sense, I know games are developed on software on a computer, but it's programmed for a console first right?
Ubisoft said in a recent article that they're now using PC as the lead platform and porting down to console, rather than the other way which they had done before
Actually they only said that about Watch Dogs and possibly AC4.

I'd wager that PC is not going to be their lead platform, PS4 is a more likely.

pacmanate
08-18-2013, 01:46 PM

What she failed to say was all games are made on PC, but they are developed for consoles.

ACfan443
08-18-2013, 01:49 PM
What she failed to say was all games are made on PC, but they are developed for consoles.

Yeah, I realised that eventually, the context I was taking in though was about the lead programming platform, not literally what it's made on.

BlastThyName
08-18-2013, 01:49 PM

That's correct, but what matters is not the platform, it's the development environnment which is fine tuned for consoles first.

While Ubisoft have claimed that AC3 was not a "port"....I find this hard to believe given the evidence at hands.

I don't have a problem with that per se, but this philosophy does not prevent them from taking care of a PC version.

I have hope that AC4 will be much better optimized this time around, Kiev have more experience with the AnvilNext and well if this is the base for the next-gen versions then I assume that the code will be heavily multithreaded from the get go.

ACfan443
08-18-2013, 01:53 PM
That's correct, but what matters is not the platform, it's the development environnment which is fine tuned for consoles first.

While Ubisoft have claimed that AC3 was not a "port"....I find this hard to believe given the evidence at hands.

I don't have a problem with that per se, but this philosophy does not prevent them from taking care of a PC version.

I have hope that AC4 will be much better optimized this time around, Kiev have more experience with the AnvilNext and well if this is the base for the next-gen versions then I assume that the code will be heavily multithreaded from the get go.

Well, since PS4/X1 and PC share the same instruction set now, and what we've seen on PS4 appears to be running smoothly, I'm assuming the PC will be much better optimised this time round.

pacmanate
08-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Well, since PS4/X1 and PC share the same instruction set now, and what we've seen on PS4 appears to be running smoothly, I'm assuming the PC will be much better optimised this time round.

What we have seen on PS4 is actually PC footage. All of it.

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Please no need to be rude.. jeez

ACfan443
08-18-2013, 01:55 PM

Well, for the PC players, even better!

BlastThyName
08-18-2013, 01:56 PM

We can hope.

I'm willing to bet there won't be drastic visual differences between the PS4 and PC versions anyway.

The PS4 footage we've seen is what we will get at max settings on PC, I don't think Ubisoft will raise the bar only for the PC SKU.

pacmanate
08-18-2013, 01:57 PM

I wasn't... apologies.

Xbox also uploaded that stealth gameplay. It was the exact same video as the PS4 one, but with xbox buttons. That also backs up my theory of it being PC footage and they just edit buttons on top.

ACfan443
08-18-2013, 02:00 PM

I don't see anything rude with what he said.

BlastThyName
08-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Indeed, she failed to make the distinction between the platform on which the game is made and the actual target platform for the code.

She stands corrected now.

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 02:04 PM
I wasn't... apologies.
That's fine.

Indeed, she failed to make the distinction between the platform on which the game is made and the actual target platform for the code.

She stands corrected now.
You comment wasn't necessary.

I know the distinction, between codes for porting games on to consoles.

BlastThyName
08-18-2013, 02:05 PM
You comment wasn't necessary.

Don't be upset, we are on a forum after all. ;)

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Don't be upset, we are on a forum after all. ;)
:rolleyes:

There's a way to say things, you're just taking things too far. Just stop, it's gone beyond just talk - to just plain annoying.

BlastThyName
08-18-2013, 02:10 PM
:rolleyes:
There's a way to say things, you're just taking things too far. Just stop, it's gone beyond just talk - to just plain annoying.

Great, let's get back on topic :

Unsurprisingly a cross-gen game will always suffer from the lowest common denominator. There are things that can be overhauled (visuals) but the game is scoped in such a way that it's easily portable on current-gen consoles.
A true next-gen Assassin's Creed will blow our minds.

pacmanate
08-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Great, let's get back on topic :

Unsurprisingly a cross-gen game will always suffer from the lowest common denominator. There are things that can be overhauled (visuals) but the game is scoped in such a way that it's easily portable on current-gen consoles.
A true next-gen Assassin's Creed will blow our minds.

I have a feeling that that will take longer than most of us want. I doubt the PS3 will fizzle out as quick as the PS2. The jump from PS2 to PS3 was massive so obviously less cross gen games. PS3 to PS4? Not so much.

ACfan443
08-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Great, let's get back on topic :.

The straight talking nature of your posts is making me laugh so much. And I agree, I would love to see a true next gen AC, here's hoping that experience will come with AC5 :D

BlastThyName
08-18-2013, 02:21 PM
I have a feeling that that will take longer than most of us want. I doubt the PS3 will fizzle out as quick as the PS2. The jump from PS2 to PS3 was massive so obviously less cross gen games. PS3 to PS4? Not so much.
You know, it was not solely a matter of technical challenges. The actual gaming landscape has changed so much since the 2005/2008 days and the costs have sky-rocketted.

You simply can't ignore the 140 millions people playing on their 360/PS3. If AC4 could be made for 1/3 of the cost then we could see a whole new AC game designed with next-gen in mind right at the start of the 4th gen.

However, I expect Ubisoft and many other publishers to abandon the 360/PS3 rather quickly. Hopefully the 2014 Assassin's Creed being developped as we speak will ignore the current-gen consoles.

The straight talking nature of your posts is making me laugh so much. And I agree, I would love to see a true next gen AC, here's hoping that experience will come with AC5
Haha thanks !! ;)

pacmanate
08-18-2013, 02:23 PM
You know, it was not solely a matter of technical challenges. The actual gaming landscape has changed so much since the 2005/2008 days and the costs have sky-rocketted.

You simply can't ignore the 140 millions people playing on their 360/PS3. If AC4 could be made for 1/3 of the cost then we could see a whole new AC game designed with next-gen in mind right at the start of the 4th gen.

However, I expect Ubisoft and many other publishers to abandon the 360/PS3 rather quickly. Hopefully the 2014 Assassin's Creed being developped as we speak will ignore the current-gen consoles.

All of us that have next gen consoles are going to be hoping that, but I doubt they would just ignore the PS3/360. However, Ubi did say that most of AC4's pre orders were on next gen consoles?

BlastThyName
08-18-2013, 02:27 PM
All of us that have next gen consoles are going to be hoping that, but I doubt they would just ignore the PS3/360. However, Ubi did say that most of AC4's pre orders were on next gen consoles?
Yep, and it goes to show that if you market those next-gen versions as you should then the general public will become aware that this is where the game is meant ot be played.

We need next-gen, we need it ASAP. Cross-gen whichever way you slice it involves sacrifices in the overall scope of your game. The graphics can easily be overhauled but mechanically speaking this will still be a current-gen title.

Crysis 3 is in the same situation actually. Visuals wise I would say it's next-gen but the actual gameplay has been toned down for current-gen.

pacmanate
08-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Yep, and it goes to show that if you market those next-gen versions as you should then the general public will become aware that this is where the game is meant ot be played.

We need next-gen, we need it ASAP. Cross-gen whichever way you slice it involves sacrifices in the overall scope of your game. The graphics can easily be overhauled but mechanically speaking this will still be a current-gen title.

Crysis 3 is in the same situation actually. Visuals wise I would say it's next-gen but the actual gameplay has been toned down for current-gen.

I agree with your statement, sir.

DAMN THE PS/360!!!

ACfan443
08-18-2013, 02:33 PM
I agree with your statement, sir.

What we learnt yesterday: we can't assume whether someone's a he or a she on a forum, he/she could be a girl

BlastThyName
08-18-2013, 02:36 PM
What we learnt yesterday: we can't assume whether someone's a he or a she on a forum, he/she could be a girl

I'm a man.

pacmanate
08-18-2013, 02:36 PM

But I say "hey man" to girls too

Jexx21
08-19-2013, 01:12 AM
hey guys, wanna go out on a date with me?

pacmanate
08-19-2013, 11:38 AM
hey guys, wanna go out on a date with me?

nope