PDA

View Full Version : Single mission (Comrades in Arms)...alternate strategies?

SithSpeeder
07-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey all--

One of the offline single missions I like to fly is Comrades in Arms, which pits the base defenders of 4 Yaks and 8 P-51s (the player being one) against the base attackers of 8 FW-190s, 4 Bf109s, and 4 He-111s. I don't recall the link or who made it, but it's a lot of fun (kudos!).

Achieving the primary objective (living) and the secondary objective (not losing too many of your parked B-17s to the attackers) is relatively easy, as the AI will pretty much handle the situation as long as the player is fairly aggressive in defending the base and gives the occasional command to 2nd Zveno (otherwise, they tend to rtb in the midst of the fight!).

However, I wasn't content with losing nearly half of the 14 or so B-17s and still declaring victory (well, the mission gives you a Primary and SEcondary Mission Accomplished message). The best I am able to do so far is to save all but 2 or 3, but I inevitably get shot down/killed and no more friendlies were alive.

So, since we're all waiting for the patch http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, I thought I'd open a tactical/strategy topic and see if anyone else has tried to "beat the system", per se.

If you are familiar with the mission and understand my twist on it (truly minimizing the damage to the bombers on the ground), let's open the discussion.

First off, the Yak's are useless. They engage the 109s and get wiped off the map faster than I can say "Comrade!". So one thing I started doing upon starting my engine was to whip around on the runway (180 degree turn) and take off hot on their heels (blowing by all the 51s starting their engines...this is war, ya know!). I then climb while following them (can't catch them) and once they engage and start taking losses, I dive down and try to B&Z at least one of the 109s, but keeping my general heading towards the incoming HE-111s which are at the highest altitude. While doing this boom and zoom, I command 1st Zveno (#3 and 4) to "Attack Fighters" when they are in range of the FW 190s (if you wait too long, they may follow you to the 109s and then there aren't enough attackers on the 190s to force them to drop their bombs). I also have to give a Wingman Rejoin command because otherwise he gets sucked in to a fight along the way and I need him later (see below). Hopefully, I get 1 (or 2 if I'm really lucky) 109 on the B&Z (saving my Yak comrades) then climb like mad for the He-111s (else no one else sees them early enough for me to direct them to attack them before the 111s start dropping a lot of bombs). Oh, don't forget to direct 2nd Zveno to attack the fighters, too.

Now attacking 4 He-111s in 2 P-51s with a slight energy disadvantage is TOUGH to me. I've been able at BEST to drop 2 and cripple one while my wingman got the last one, but this is rare...sometimes I can only get them all streaming fuel from both engines, but by then, I'm shot up very badly or just plain dead.

But like I said, this way allowed me to save all but 2 of the B-17s.

The other way I've felt like I've had pretty good success was getting high above the incoming 190s and diving in on the tail and overtaking each one, firing bursts just enough to make them drop their bombs. My personal best was to force 6 190s to drop their bomb loads before reaching the base, while directing the other Zvenos to attack and force the other 2 to 190s to drop them. But this approach (although initially satisfying) causes two problems.
1. The He-111s come in untouched and bomb the cr@p out of the cluster of B-17s on the pad (roughly six close together).
2. The 109s (having made mincemeat of the Yaks) are hammering the 51s (death comes quickly when you start seeing the blue tracers).

The only saving grace is to drag the 109s low across the AAA...they sometimes succumb to that.

Again, if I don't mind losing half my B-17s, I just take off, attack the 109s for the entire mission (otherwise, they sneak up on the friendlies and wax everybody), direct everyone else to attack the 190s, and hope the He-111s don't destroy everything. Most of the time, I get the Mission Success message and live to land. But it just doesn't _feel_ right.

So...anyone else?

* _54th_Speeder *

http://members.cox.net/~ijhutch/_images/360x200signew.jpg (http://www.fiftyfourth.com/)

SithSpeeder
07-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey all--

One of the offline single missions I like to fly is Comrades in Arms, which pits the base defenders of 4 Yaks and 8 P-51s (the player being one) against the base attackers of 8 FW-190s, 4 Bf109s, and 4 He-111s. I don't recall the link or who made it, but it's a lot of fun (kudos!).

Achieving the primary objective (living) and the secondary objective (not losing too many of your parked B-17s to the attackers) is relatively easy, as the AI will pretty much handle the situation as long as the player is fairly aggressive in defending the base and gives the occasional command to 2nd Zveno (otherwise, they tend to rtb in the midst of the fight!).

However, I wasn't content with losing nearly half of the 14 or so B-17s and still declaring victory (well, the mission gives you a Primary and SEcondary Mission Accomplished message). The best I am able to do so far is to save all but 2 or 3, but I inevitably get shot down/killed and no more friendlies were alive.

So, since we're all waiting for the patch http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, I thought I'd open a tactical/strategy topic and see if anyone else has tried to "beat the system", per se.

If you are familiar with the mission and understand my twist on it (truly minimizing the damage to the bombers on the ground), let's open the discussion.

First off, the Yak's are useless. They engage the 109s and get wiped off the map faster than I can say "Comrade!". So one thing I started doing upon starting my engine was to whip around on the runway (180 degree turn) and take off hot on their heels (blowing by all the 51s starting their engines...this is war, ya know!). I then climb while following them (can't catch them) and once they engage and start taking losses, I dive down and try to B&Z at least one of the 109s, but keeping my general heading towards the incoming HE-111s which are at the highest altitude. While doing this boom and zoom, I command 1st Zveno (#3 and 4) to "Attack Fighters" when they are in range of the FW 190s (if you wait too long, they may follow you to the 109s and then there aren't enough attackers on the 190s to force them to drop their bombs). I also have to give a Wingman Rejoin command because otherwise he gets sucked in to a fight along the way and I need him later (see below). Hopefully, I get 1 (or 2 if I'm really lucky) 109 on the B&Z (saving my Yak comrades) then climb like mad for the He-111s (else no one else sees them early enough for me to direct them to attack them before the 111s start dropping a lot of bombs). Oh, don't forget to direct 2nd Zveno to attack the fighters, too.

Now attacking 4 He-111s in 2 P-51s with a slight energy disadvantage is TOUGH to me. I've been able at BEST to drop 2 and cripple one while my wingman got the last one, but this is rare...sometimes I can only get them all streaming fuel from both engines, but by then, I'm shot up very badly or just plain dead.

But like I said, this way allowed me to save all but 2 of the B-17s.

The other way I've felt like I've had pretty good success was getting high above the incoming 190s and diving in on the tail and overtaking each one, firing bursts just enough to make them drop their bombs. My personal best was to force 6 190s to drop their bomb loads before reaching the base, while directing the other Zvenos to attack and force the other 2 to 190s to drop them. But this approach (although initially satisfying) causes two problems.
1. The He-111s come in untouched and bomb the cr@p out of the cluster of B-17s on the pad (roughly six close together).
2. The 109s (having made mincemeat of the Yaks) are hammering the 51s (death comes quickly when you start seeing the blue tracers).

The only saving grace is to drag the 109s low across the AAA...they sometimes succumb to that.

Again, if I don't mind losing half my B-17s, I just take off, attack the 109s for the entire mission (otherwise, they sneak up on the friendlies and wax everybody), direct everyone else to attack the 190s, and hope the He-111s don't destroy everything. Most of the time, I get the Mission Success message and live to land. But it just doesn't _feel_ right.

So...anyone else?

* _54th_Speeder *

http://members.cox.net/~ijhutch/_images/360x200signew.jpg (http://www.fiftyfourth.com/)

SithSpeeder
08-05-2004, 12:21 AM
bump