PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no southpaws in the main console series?

Fat-Joe411
08-07-2013, 05:52 PM
My first post on ubisoft forums :)

As a southpaw, and most games being orthodox, it's kind of a shame not even one main character is a southpaw. it'd be good to see a sword or tomahawk being plunged into someone's neck with a left hand. It isn't a big issue, but it's something I'd like to see.

Are there any legitimate reasons apart from most of the world being right handed, and perhaps hiring southpaw mo-cap people were harder, or was it programming?

If mods are reading this holla at me!!!!

Rakudaton
08-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Are you serious?

Off the top of my head, I can think of several reasons:

1) Only about 10% of people in TODAY'S world are left-handed, and in the past children were very very strongly encouraged to be right-handed. Therefore we should see at most 1 in 10 people in AC being left-handed, but in reality practically nobody would be left-handed.

2) People like to be able to project themselves onto the main character. Most people are right-handed, so it makes sense that the main character performs actions as a right-handed person would do.

3) I'm surprised to find even one person who actually cares. When you're making a game, there are one or two slightly more important issues to deal with.

4) Most mo-cap people will be right-handed, and there's no particular reason for a director to go out seeking a left-handed one unless there are VERY good reasons for doing so.

ze_topazio
08-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Link from The Legend of Zelda series and Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII are left-handed, there are more characters left-handed but this two are the only ones i remember right now.

Farlander1991
08-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Edward, while ambidexterous, seems to have his left hand as main. When he shoots a single pistol, he shoots with his left on the gameplay videos (Connor and Haytham both shoot with their right), and on the cover his sword is in his left hand.

guardian_titan
08-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Interesting tidbit, but left handers (or southpaws as the OP seems to prefer, but is not a term I've ever heard of before O.o) are actually better at swordplay than right handers, and many of the British royals are also left handed. Many world leaders are actually left handed. On top of that, many people in powerful positions like CEOs are also left handed. So based upon that, you'd actually think most of the Templars, or at least those like Warren Vidic, Reginald Birch, etc are lefties. The Assassins are either truly ambidextrous (which is actually rarer than left handedness) or right handed. Many people who claim to be ambidextrous really aren't. They just learned to use both hands. True ambidextrous are those that can do it innately and didn't have to learn to do it or focus on doing it. Brain activity via cat scanning can tell a true ambidextrous from someone who's learned how to do it. It's like a left handed person being forced to become right handed. They can use the right hand to write, etc, but they're not truly right handed.

As to why virtually everyone in everything is right handed, it's just what's available. I doubt Ubisoft is going to go out of their way to hire a leftie to do some mo-capping. At most, they might flip the animations and hope no one notices. It's what's available and what's the norm. The majority rules, and it can take a long time for the minorities to even be acknowledged. In the case of left vs right, there's no real reason for Ubisoft (or anyone else really) to go out of their way to include them. I don't see left handed people protesting in front of their governments for equal rights. No one's outright discriminated for being left or right handed these days ... unless you live somewhere out in the middle of no where that still think being left handed is the sign of the Devil or something. You don't get fired for being a leftie. It'd be nice to have a leftie represented (I'm a rightie myself), but you can't represent everyone. You even try to and things come out looking artificial. Any good writer knows you don't include something to just have it. You include it because it works in the story and either expands it or moves it forward.

Assassin_M
08-07-2013, 07:00 PM
(or southpaws as the OP seems to prefer, but is not a term I've ever heard of before O.o)
he`s probably a Boxer

kingwasabi24
08-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Are you serious?

Off the top of my head, I can think of several reasons:

1) Only about 10% of people in TODAY'S world are left-handed, and in the past children were very very strongly encouraged to be right-handed. Therefore we should see at most 1 in 10 people in AC being left-handed, but in reality practically nobody would be left-handed.

2) People like to be able to project themselves onto the main character. Most people are right-handed, so it makes sense that the main character performs actions as a right-handed person would do.

3) I'm surprised to find even one person who actually cares. When you're making a game, there are one or two slightly more important issues to deal with.

4) Most mo-cap people will be right-handed, and there's no particular reason for a director to go out seeking a left-handed one unless there are VERY good reasons for doing so.

troll detected