PDA

View Full Version : AC4: are NPC's too lively?

Soulid_Snake
08-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Allow me to explain, ever since watching the trailers for AC4, I've recognized crowds in particular have become more animated, doing more than just walking around, you could even say the series has become more detailed. Don't get me wrong, all the AC games have been detailed in this sense, but they were subtle. To me, it feels like they're taking something away from the game. What are your guys thoughts?

LoyalACFan
08-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Well considering that the NPC's we've seen are all drunken sailors hanging out in sea ports, I'd be rather disappointed if they weren't relatively lively...

adventurewomen
08-06-2013, 11:31 PM
I think that having NPC's lively adds to the immersion of the game, it takes out the repetitiveness if we saw NPC's doing the same thing all the time like the same old looping animations that would be boring.

Assassin_M
08-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Too lively? :|

I like lively D:

silvermercy
08-06-2013, 11:36 PM
How can lively be a bad thing?

It helps with immersion. xD

ArabianFrost
08-06-2013, 11:38 PM
There's no such thing as too lively.

The devs can try all they want, but they'll never get to the point where the crowd is exactly like real life and each NPC on the map has a different personality and reacts differently.

silvermercy
08-06-2013, 11:42 PM

The devs can try all they want, but they'll never get to the point where the crowd is exactly like real life and each NPC on the map has a different personality and reacts differently.
Maybe it could happen in the next 10-20 years!

Just imagine the Sims in an AC environment... xD

Gi1t
08-06-2013, 11:44 PM

Well, I could see it reaching a point where the NPCs start to feel so exaggerated that they don't feel convincing anymore. If their animations draw more attention to them, it might also draw attention to the patterns they follow, like an animated, neon carnival display uttering a tape-recorded message. It's impressive once, but it gets old fast; that sort of thing. :)

adventurewomen
08-06-2013, 11:45 PM

Can you imagine instead of just playing the game through the TV, but actual immersion into the environment where you are the character that you are playing, something like being inside the game experiencing all the game has without devices like glasses.
That would be awesome! xD

ArabianFrost
08-06-2013, 11:46 PM

I'm not really that experienced at game designing, maybe M can be a far better reference, but I reckon it's pretty hard to have NPCs that act differently every time or at least enough times to not stick as a pattern in our heads. Randomly generated personalities and reactions are too difficult to create without fault in general.

Sigv4rd
08-06-2013, 11:46 PM
But having the streets of Havana littered with corpses would be rather morbid :nonchalance:

silvermercy
08-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Can you imagine instead of just playing the game through the TV, but actual immersion into the environment where you are the character that you are playing, something like being inside the game experiencing all the game has without devices like glasses.
I'm still waiting for the day where we get actual virtual reality AC games! Or at least Total Recall experiences! :D (err... without the lobotomies etc)

ArabianFrost
08-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Can you imagine instead of just playing the game through the TV, but actual immersion into the environment where you are the character that you are playing, something like augmented reality.

I don't really think it would be allowed to popularise. If we're talking about something like the Matrix, it's just such a hazard to have. I love the idea, but imagine completely immersing all your senses through electric wires connected to the console. Complete immersion would mean that you have NO conscious what so ever of the world around you. A thousand people can rob you and you won't feel a thing.

My childhood dream is to be IN the game, but unless they make it mentally, physically an consciously safe, I can't. You also remember the whole, if the brain believes it, the body will? It holds some truth. You don't want your brain to kill you when your protagonist dies.

adventurewomen
08-06-2013, 11:51 PM
I'm still waiting for the day where we get actual virtual reality AC games! Or at least Total Recall experiences! :D (err... without the lobotomies etc)
Agreed! That day will eventually arrive! :D

poptartz20
08-06-2013, 11:53 PM
It would look a little dumb if it wasn't as lively as it was. We are talking about Brash drunken people living how they please. I have no problem with it! It would be weird if things didn't interact with me given my actions. More so than people just running away or standing up when I come to sit on a bench.

ladyleonhart
08-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Well considering that the NPC's we've seen are all drunken sailors hanging out in sea ports, I'd be rather disappointed if they weren't relatively lively...

I definitely agree with this!! xD You can't have "sober" pirates... That would be really weird. o_0;

silvermercy
08-06-2013, 11:54 PM
It holds some truth. You don't want your brain to kill you when your protagonist dies.
Probably that's how Desmond really died. lol Not from Juno but from the accumulative shock of desynchronizing all his ancestors.

Imagine an Animus video game console...

ArabianFrost
08-06-2013, 11:55 PM
I definitely agree with this!! xD You can't have "sober" pirates... That would be really weird. o_0;

Assigned safety sailor?

Someone has to make sure the drunkards don't crash the ship.

adventurewomen
08-06-2013, 11:56 PM
I don't really think it would be allowed to popularise. If we're talking about something like the Matrix, it's just such a hazard to have. I love the idea, but imagine completely immersing all your senses through electric wires connected to the console. Complete immersion would mean that you have NO conscious what so ever of the world around you. A thousand people can rob you and you won't feel a thing.

My childhood dream is to be IN the game, but unless they make it mentally, physically an consciously safe, I can't. You also remember the whole, if the brain believes it, the body will? It holds some truth. You don't want your brain to kill you when your protagonist dies.
I can see how it would be dangerous, however if an real-life animus was created allowed us to keep our subconscious put us in a sleep like state, maybe?

ladyleonhart
Assigned safety sailor?

Um... I guess I didn't think of that. :) What if he wants to drink too...?

silvermercy
Assigned safety sailor?

hahahaha!!!!

I can imagine that! lol Him holding the err... keys of the ship!

ArabianFrost
Probably that's how Desmond really died. lol Not from Juno but from the accumulative shock of desynchronizing all his ancestors.

Imagine an Animus video game console...

I hope I get a bleeding effect :-/ Man am I going to scale some buildings.

ArabianFrost
08-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Um... I guess I didn't think of that. :) What if he wants to drink too...?

He can't. He's assigned by all the pirates. If he doesn't follow orders.....I don't know. Maybe they'll give him non-alcoholic rum for a week. Serves him right for betraying pirate law. Non-alcoholic rum not only tastes worse than real rum, but it makes you completely conscious of how horrible it tastes. (I tasted non-alcoholic beer once)

ladyleonhart
08-07-2013, 12:03 AM
He can't. He's assigned by all the pirates. If he doesn't follow orders.....I don't know. Maybe they'll give him non-alcoholic rum for a week. Serves him right for betraying pirate law. Non-alcoholic rum not only tastes worse than real rum, but it makes you completely conscious of how horrible it tastes. (I tasted non-alcoholic beer once)

Well... I'll take your word for it, Frost. :) I don't drink either. Lol, maybe they'd make him walk the plank!! ;) Do you think we'll have that as an option...?

adventurewomen
08-07-2013, 12:04 AM
I just hope there isn't any looping conversations from NPC's that always was always annoying, especially in the Pub's in AC3.

AC2_alex
08-07-2013, 12:05 AM
I just hope there isn't any looping conversations from NPC's that always was always annoying, especially in the Pub's in AC3.

Agreed.

ArabianFrost
08-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Well... I'll take your word for it, Frost. :) I don't drink either. Lol, maybe they'd make him walk the plank!! ;) Do you think we'll have that as an option...?

Lord Ashraf, saviour of the AC series, has said that it is not historically accurate, therefore, it will bot be included in the game.

We comply.

ladyleonhart
08-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Lord Ashraf, saviour of the AC series, has said that it is not historically accurate, therefore, it will bot be included in the game.

We comply.

I know... It would've been hilarious though!! xD

Sigv4rd
08-07-2013, 12:13 AM

We comply.

Can October 30th be Ashraf Ismail day?

ArabianFrost
08-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Can October 30th be Ashraf Ismail day?
It is official then.

And on the 712th day he said "Let there be stealth (and random events and holsters and stuff)":

http://i.imgur.com/DOhKMUB.jpg

(Image courtesy of Sidspykr)

Sigv4rd
08-07-2013, 12:36 AM
It is official then.

And on the 712th day he said "Let there be stealth (and random events and holsters and stuff)":

(Image courtesy of Sidspykr)

Mods please make sure he hears about this XD

silvermercy
08-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Are these guns or drills on his chest? O_O

ArabianFrost
08-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Are these guns or drills on his chest? O_O

Holstered guns to commemorate his great efforts for making holsters possible.

ArabianFrost
08-07-2013, 12:40 AM
Mods please make sure he hears about this XD

Sidspykr already sent it to Ashraf's twitter and Ashraf liked it. No need for that.

Sigv4rd
08-07-2013, 04:43 AM
Sidspykr already sent it to Ashraf's twitter and Ashraf liked it. No need for that.

Still maybe this will convince Ubi that Ashraf should make more AC games :D

Assassin_M
08-07-2013, 04:49 AM
Still maybe this will convince Ubi that Ashraf should make more AC games :D
Maybe you should wait till you actually try the game...everyone was worshipping Hutchinson last year...

Sigv4rd
08-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Maybe you should wait till you actually try the game...everyone was worshipping Hutchinson last year...

I never worshiped Hutchinson...

Assassin_M
08-07-2013, 04:56 AM
I never worshiped Hutchinson...
You weren't here last year

RinoTheBouncer
08-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I think that's the best thing ever, cause it's just boring to see people walking. It's more realistic to see characters doing things not just walking.

AssassinHMS
08-07-2013, 03:09 PM

This

I think the true power of Assassin’s Creed lies, not in ships and not in the size of the world, but in the NPC’s. Their animations and interactivity make the world feel believable but there is a lot more they can offer. We should be able to listen to their daily conversations and spy on their daily activities in order to gain information (investigate like we did back in the days of AC1).
Obtaining those bits of information would unlock assassination missions or, perhaps, allow the player to learn about some conspiracy against the city (or something) and play a role in it. Of course not every bit of information gathered in the streets would be crucial as it could simply trigger a random event or lead to some gold or items stashed in someone’s house, but I think this would really increase immersion and provide a real reason to explore the world and blend with the crowd, not to mention, feel like an assassin.
So I’m all in favor of putting a big emphasis on NPC’s.

silvermercy
08-07-2013, 03:14 PM
NPCs are very important. I'd like to see NPCs offering a drink or food to the assassin if he comes close. Asking him directions to a certain place, selling him items like shoving an alive chicken to his face etc. lol This can be annoying but also fun I guess! Also more dialogue interactions...

ACfan443
08-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Just like Ismail, Hutchinson's interviews were executed brilliantly, he said everything we wanted to hear, music to the fans' ears. Then the game came out and he ruined the modern day story and the overall direction of the game. I hope he's never allowed near an AC game again, and is thrown into the recycle bin along with Amancio.

I learnt my lesson and this is why I'm taking every bit of information with a grain of salt and reserving judgement. The worshiping this year however, has reached unprecedented heights, I mean look at this...

Oh and this

Lord Ashraf, saviour of the AC series

ArabianFrost
08-07-2013, 04:14 PM
A crappy MS paint pic and a cheesy joke now constitute as worship?

It's just a joke for the lolz. It's not serious.

I heard what Ashraf said compared to what Alex said. At least with Ashraf he's doing an effort to appeal to the hardcore fans. AC1-style non-linearity, 10-15 hours of modern day exploration and secrets for hardcore fans and the return of stealth.

Hell, even if this game turns out to be an utter failure, I won't diss on the devs. At least they tried to please the actual fans for a change rather than force us to buy someone's messed up incomplete version of AC.

Anyway, it's in good joke. We're just trying to show appreciation for people, like Ashraf and Darby that actually listen to us be it on Twitter or the Forums. No one even gave us a glance back during the AC3 days. Communication between such higher-ups in the dev team and simple fans on the internet is something worth cherishing, regardless of the state of the game.

pirate1802
08-07-2013, 04:20 PM

Something like This? (http://www.oculusvr.com/)

ArabianFrost
08-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Something like This? (http://www.oculusvr.com/)

I know about the Oculus Rift.

I was more talking along the lines of of involving the five senses rather than two. Smell and taste would be hard (but very appreciable) to transcode to the game, but imagine touch? Imagine feeling the environment with your sense of touch? Our perception of pain can be dumbed down greatly in this VR, but we'd get to touch everything from the wood on boats to our feet creating imprints kn the wet sand. To create a world such as that would need absolute years to make. The guys at at AC4 could barely put a holster in Ed's chest and they're one of the biggest dev teams. Trying to predict or simulate the touch more than a 100 thousand things and making sure they're in a game? Sounds magical even, but I can dream.

pirate1802
08-07-2013, 04:33 PM
I know about the Oculus Rift.

I was more talking along the lines of of involving the five senses rather than two. Smell and taste would be hard (but very appreciable) to transcode to the game, but imagine touch? Imagine feeling the environment with your sense of touch? Our perception of pain can be dumbed down greatly in this VR, but we'd get to touch everything from the wood on boats to our feet creating imprints kn the wet sand. To create a world such as that would need absolute years to make. The guys at at AC4 could barely put a holster in Ed's chest and they're one of the biggest dev teams. Trying to predict or simulate the touch more than a 100 thousand things and making sure they're in a game? Sounds magical even, but I can dream.

I dream of such a day.

Sushiglutton
08-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Very, very true. I think Ash has said a lot of great things. But I was one of those who fell under Hutchinson's spell last year and I refuse to do that again. This time I will play first, then judge.

ArabianFrost
08-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Very, very true. I think Ash has said a lot of great things. But I was one of those who fell under Hutchinson's spell last year and I refuse to do that again. This time I will play first, then judge.

But Ashraf talks to us on twitter.

pirate1802
08-07-2013, 04:54 PM

You know who else talked to their fans on twitter? Bioware devs. Before ME3 blew up.

Not saying AC4 will definitely turn out to be like AC3, but a healthy amount of suspicion is..healthy.

Sushiglutton
08-07-2013, 04:58 PM

Ashraf seems like a cool guy and a great designer. BUT this is AC we are talking about. One man isn't enough to turn this giant cruiser around. There's no way that after five games AC4 suddenly will have fantastic gameplay. If it is a move in the right direction I'll be pleased. Will know once I have played it :).

ArabianFrost
08-07-2013, 05:00 PM
You know who else talked to their fans on twitter? Bioware devs. Before ME3 blew up.

Not saying AC4 will definitely turn out to be like AC3, but a healthy amount of suspicion is..healthy.

ME3 was a bad game? I never played it, but apart from the ending fiasco, I only heard good things about it.

ACfan443
08-07-2013, 05:01 PM
A crappy MS paint pic and a cheesy joke now constitute as worship?

It's just a joke for the lolz. It's not serious.

Yes but when you call someone "lord ashraf, saviour of the series" it implies some truth in your feelings. I just find it ridiculous that you're quick to call him the saviour when the game's not even finished, let alone running on your console.

I understand fans showing their appreciation for the more interactive and talkative devs, but this newfound communication won't have any major effect on the game, considering it's been in development long before the communication began. At this point, as cynical this sounds, I feel it's only PR and hype talk to appease the fans and keep them happy and satisfied until release.

If it turns out to be amazing, you optimists can scream 'I told you so' at the top of your voices and I'll graciously hold my head in shame..and eat a hat or something. However if it turns out to be sub par a la AC3, you'll feel rather silly.

ArabianFrost
08-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Ashraf seems like a cool guy and a great designer. BUT this is AC we are talking about. One man isn't enough to turn this giant cruiser around. There's no way that after five games AC4 suddenly will have fantastic gameplay. If it is a move in the right direction I'll be pleased. Will know once I have played it :).

Fair enough. I just have faith in Ashraf. His vision is very loyal to the AC cores, so I have reason to believe him.

This is coming from the same guy who bashed on AC4 just because I thought it didn't have pirates and was going to be a 'splosion fiasco.

ArabianFrost
08-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Yes but when you call someone "lord ashraf, saviour of the series" it implies some truth in your feelings. I just find it ridiculous that you're quick to call him the saviour when the game's not even finished, let alone running on your console.

I understand fans showing their appreciation for the more interactive and talkative devs, but this newfound communication won't have any major effect on the game, considering it's been in development long before the communication began. At this point, as cynical this sounds, I feel it's only PR and hype talk to appease the fans and keep them happy and satisfied until release.

If it turns out to be amazing, you optimists can scream 'I told you so' at the top of your voices and I'll graciously hold my head in shame..and eat a hat or something. However if it turns out to be sub par a la AC3, you'll feel rather silly.

Fair enough. I was clearly scarred by ACR and AC3. I'm supposed to be the most cynical out here, but I'm not. Clearly these guys have done a great deal of things to please the AC fan in me.

As always, let's wait until release.

pirate1802
08-07-2013, 05:17 PM
ME3 was a bad game? I never played it, but apart from the ending fiasco, I only heard good things about it.

Not at all. It was a great game but when you consider it against the promises that were made..... it looks bad.

odisus2
08-07-2013, 09:36 PM
As tech improves soon we will have ai's who will literally think for themselves i hope im alive when it happens

LoyalACFan
08-07-2013, 09:45 PM
As tech improves soon we will have ai's who will literally think for themselves i hope im alive when it happens

Well, seeing how far the industry's come since the first game I played nearly eighteen years ago (Donkey Kong Country) I'd say we're in for a treat as we get older ;)

odisus2
08-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Well, seeing how far the industry's come since the first game I played nearly eighteen years ago (Donkey Kong Country) I'd say we're in for a treat as we get older ;)

I hope so and real soon too!

BATISTABUS
08-07-2013, 10:07 PM
...what.

I don't know how this could possibly be a complaint. xD It's better than just a bunch of mindless zombies cycling around town.