PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed's Bad Graphics

RinoTheBouncer
08-05-2013, 04:07 AM
I don't intend this to be a bashing thread against the developers or anything. I'm only noting some points that might help in the development of future titles.

Assassin's Creed have always had beautiful scenery and graphics but as we're advancing with it, nothing much seems to change. A lot of textures take a while to load or appear out of place or changing outfits ruins the way the assassin's hair must look like (hood on/off) or how some clothes feel like they're penetrating through certain pieces and some weapons go through the outfit rather than in specific places for them. Some plants basically look like they're a bunch of intersecting lines that share a green texture (in ACIII)

Everything looks good from a distance but definitely looks mediocre as we come closer. A lot of stuff looked better in AC:R then they are in ACIII. The water looks good when you observe it but when you swim, it feels like you're just moving in a swimming-like animation but the water doesn't touch you or like I dunno, it feels like the character's movement isn't affecting the environment.

Now we're approaching Next Generation on PS4 with ACIV and quite honestly, the PS4 gameplay trailer was more like very good PS3 than PS4. Quantic Dream's latest tech demo (PS4), Beyond Two Souls (PS3), Watch Dogs (PS4), Infamous: Second Son (PS4), Final Fantasy XV (PS4), they're all doing a great job and a drastic improvement from the PS3 version but from ACIV, nothing is different. They said weather effects will be more alive but no, that's not enough. The character himself looks pretty much the same and the animations too.

I'm only saying this because I freaking LOVE Assassin's Creed. Been a fan since the very first one and non of the meltdowns because of ACIII endings made me less of a fan and collector or even a cosplayer. I hope it keeps pushing the boundaries and raising them higher and higher.

LoyalACFan
08-05-2013, 04:26 AM
To be honest, I've never been much of a graphics hound, but ACIII did have some funky graphical issues. Textures seemed kinda off at times, and NPC faces (major characters notwithstanding) looked really strange and doughy. The biggest visual problem for me, though, was the trees. I mean, I can appreciate the challenges they faced making the tree-running system, but having a forest full of bare, perfectly horizontal branches looks downright bizarre. Part of the reason why I didn't like the Frontier that much. Thankfully ACIV looks like it toned down the tree-running and integrated the branches more naturally into the environment.

Megas_Doux
08-05-2013, 04:29 AM
To be honest, I've never been much of a graphics hound, but ACIII did have some funky graphical issues. Textures seemed kinda off at times, and NPC faces (major characters notwithstanding) looked really strange and doughy. The biggest visual problem for me, though, was the trees.

AC3s trees shadows are UGLY!!!!!

One of the main reasons I do not like winter very much.....

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 04:34 AM
AC has never had 'amazing' graphics....well AC1 for 2007 did have some superior lighting etc, but other than that they're playing catchup.

I agree that we need better visual fidelity, but I can't see that happening until there we completely move onto PS4/Xbone.

LoyalACFan
08-05-2013, 04:36 AM
I can't see that happening until there we completely move onto PS4/Xbone.

But I can't see that happening until at least 2015.

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 04:37 AM
But I can't see that happening until at least 2015.
And there's nothing we can do about it....our 'beloved' EA has said they'll support current gen till 2017....

ctuagent15
08-05-2013, 04:55 AM
I've just read a piece on AC4 in the official Playstation Magazine and they say its possibly the best looking PS4 game they have seen.
I don't think you can judge how a game looks from a youtube video on your computer, even if the vid is in HD its still not the same as on a HD TV

LoyalACFan
08-05-2013, 05:05 AM
I've just read a piece on AC4 in the official Playstation Magazine and they say its possibly the best looking PS4 game they have seen.
I don't think you can judge how a game looks from a youtube video on your computer, even if the vid is in HD its still not the same as on a HD TV

You can tell certain things. YouTube compression is going to screw it over somewhat, but it doesn't account for everything. As for AC4 being the prettiest game on PS4, it may very well be in terms of environment. But character models/facial textures still aren't even close to something like MGSV.

I'm not complaining here, I'm just saying. AC isn't top dog in the graphics department by a long shot.

Jexx21
08-05-2013, 05:10 AM
AC3 floored me away more than Far Cry 3. :/

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 05:10 AM
I guess we'll find out once we play the game...

AC3 floored me away more than Far Cry 3. :/
Wha-how the? Far Cry 3 was much more visually stunning.

Jexx21
08-05-2013, 05:14 AM
The faces during the cinematics man. They were awesome.

It might be aesthetics over actual graphical prowess however. (probably is)

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 05:21 AM
The faces during the cinematics man. They were awesome.

It might be aesthetics over actual graphical prowess however. (probably is)
Lol. I see.

That's Anvil's problem it seems, things close to you look okay....but far away...they look horrible. And other things...NPCs that aren't essential, they are horrendous.

Playstation 2 tier of graphics a lot of times
http://puu.sh/3U3MY.jpg

Jexx21
08-05-2013, 05:29 AM
yea, the LOD is horrible for the grass there on that hill.

I also use your ENB series, so that might have an affect >.<

EDIT: Shade said that the LOD shouldn't be max-ed out on next-gen as well, so :/

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 05:39 AM
yea, the LOD is horrible for the grass there on that hill.

I also use your ENB series, so that might have an affect >.<

EDIT: Shade said that the LOD shouldn't be max-ed out on next-gen as well, so :/
My Sweetfx* >_> and all it does is shading, lol

Well you can't "max out" LoD, but you can increase it to a decent level....I'm sure modders could find a way to do it if the game wasn't locked...but then AC is primarily a console game so maybe not.

Megas_Doux
08-05-2013, 05:41 AM
Lol. I see.

That's Anvil's problem it seems, things close to you look okay....but far away...they look horrible. And other things...NPCs that aren't essential, they are horrendous.

Playstation 2 tier of graphics a lot of times
http://puu.sh/3U3MY.jpg

Indeed....

BTW you ALWAYS use that screenshot haha.

Jexx21
08-05-2013, 05:45 AM
My Sweetfx* >_> and all it does is shading, lol

Well you can't "max out" LoD, but you can increase it to a decent level....I'm sure modders could find a way to do it if the game wasn't locked...but then AC is primarily a console game so maybe not.
Whatever it's called. I know it just does shading, still makes it look better.

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Indeed....

BTW you ALWAYS use that screenshot haha.
because usually it comes up when the same point is being discussed, lol

I play AC3 on 2560x1440 or 3640x2160(4k) ....that's a larger resolution so everything looks better. Plus the PC version had a a few enhancements(but not enough) so it looks relatively decent, for example(click for full size):

http://i2.minus.com/i4QfunOJ9u9iw.jpg (http://i.minus.com/i4QfunOJ9u9iw.jpg)

http://i.minus.com/iVXwg9ch6UDsL.jpg (http://i2.minus.com/iVXwg9ch6UDsL.jpg)

Whatever it's called. I know it just does shading, still makes it look better.
Yeah, looking at AC4 it looks amazing. Don't think I'll need to do anything for it.

Megas_Doux
08-05-2013, 05:56 AM
because usually it comes up when the same point is being discussed, lol

Yeah, looking at AC4 it looks amazing. Don't think I'll need to do anything for it.

Very cool visual right there!!!!!!

ACR has my favorite graphics.......

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 06:01 AM

I liked the ACR artstyle, but I dunno about 'graphics' per se...faces were horrible ._.

Oleg l Kirrlov
08-05-2013, 06:01 AM

Get with the times bro, CoD has the best graphics ever. Hands down.

Megas_Doux
08-05-2013, 06:02 AM
I liked the ACR artstyle, but I dunno about 'graphics' per se...faces looked the same ._.

Fixed, LOL

poptartz20
08-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Honestly I feel that graphically AC2 was the worst in the series. While ACR was a redemption. Then AC3 being the best honestly. Granted there were some odd moments like a white overcasting over some of the cities, and some funky texture. But it's not like it made me put down the game and call is a ps one piece of shiz.

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Honestly I feel the graphically AC2 was the worst in the series.
It was :|

Jureck0
08-05-2013, 07:23 AM
I am satisfied with graphic in AC ,especially in ACR and AC3.One thing that bothers me is texture of grass. I have never expected graphic like Battlefield or Crysis...

scooper121s
08-05-2013, 07:47 AM
I don't think there bad at all
and I play on PS3

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 07:50 AM
I don't think there bad at all

and I play on PS3
You need new eyes, buy from pirate1802. He sells em cheap.

scooper121s
08-05-2013, 07:52 AM
You need new eyes, buy from pirate1802. He sells em cheap.
My eyes are ****** up as it is :nonchalance: I wear glasses

ladyleonhart
08-05-2013, 08:50 AM
I loved the graphics in ACIII!! :D Also, I will be playing ACIV on PS3. Then, I really don't see a problem. IF anything needs to be improved, in terms of graphics, I'm certain ACIV will be perfect by release. The developers are working ever so hard and I believe we should give credit where it's due!! xD So I just want to say... thank you to everyone at Ubisoft who has worked on ACIV for what looks to be an amazing game!!! :D

scooper121s
08-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I loved the graphics in ACIII!! :D Also, I will be playing ACIV on PS3. Then, I really don't see a problem. IF anything needs to be improved, in terms of graphics, I'm certain ACIV will be perfect by release. The developers are working ever so hard and I believe we should give credit where it's due!! xD So I just want to say... thank you to everyone at Ubisoft who has worked on ACIV for what looks to be an amazing game!!! :D
Imma gunna get ACIV on PS3 to, then I gunna get it again for the PS4 once I get it (a year after initial release .

Johny-Al-Knox
08-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Yeah ur complaining graphics on a 7 year old hardware. Get a pc or get ACIV for next gen.
That being said, AC3 had alot of graphical glitches. and i mean alot!

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Yeah ur complaining graphics on a 7 year old hardware. Get a pc or get ACIV for next gen.
That being said, AC3 had alot of graphical glitches. and i mean alot!
PC master race here and the point stands.

ladyleonhart
08-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Imma gunna get ACIV on PS3 to, then I gunna get it again for the PS4 once I get it (a year after initial release .

As long as ACIV lives up to my expectations, which I think it will, I'll probably buy it on PS4 later too!! xD

Then, I won't be getting a PS4 until late next year at some point. I'm happy with the PS3 anyway and Sony are still planning to release games for it. I'm just being forced to buy a PS4 eventually. -_- Then, I've been waiting for 'Final Fantasy XV', which was announced in 2007. Also, previously, it was known as 'FF versus XIII' and was due to be released on PS3. So, I've been waiting 6 years and now it's coming to PS4. o_0;

pirate1802
08-05-2013, 10:14 AM
My eyes are ****** up as it is :nonchalance: I wear glasses

You need the fresh pair of eyes I just ripped from a scallywag. It's absolutely fresh I guarantee; you can still smell the sadness of it.

poptartz20
08-05-2013, 11:15 AM
I'll be gaming on the PS3 as well... and If TLoU is any inclination of what the ps3 is truly capable of, then if we get that same quality with AC4 I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed at all.

Will_Lucky
08-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Actually AC4 is one of the few titles that some journalists have given credit to the graphics front for example AC4 is apparently 1080p native which is well....a significant jump in itself. And the AC3 PC port was a pretty good investment to really test some of the things going into the XB1/PS4 version of AC4.

But there are certain problems. One they're still developing a title for the 360/PS3, for cost saving they have to inevitably take some of those textures and use them on both generations. It would be too expensive and time wasting to use two seperate sets of textures across the board.
And two its a launch title. Compare Uncharted 1 with its two sequels and you will see a massive difference, especially between 1 and 2. Initial launch titles don't take full advantage of the hardware, its a year or so after you see those titles appear.

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 12:18 PM
for cost saving they have to inevitably take some of those textures and use them on both generations. It would be too expensive and time wasting to use two seperate sets of textures across the board.
Actually textures are rendered at a very high resolution and then scaled down. Next-gen will use decently high res textures I'd say.

MuddledMuppet2
08-05-2013, 12:56 PM
I'll be gaming on the PS3 as well... and If TLoU is any inclination of what the ps3 is truly capable of, then if we get that same quality with AC4 I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed at all.

It's not really a fair comparison or indication of what to expect with AC4, open world games have massively greater areas to render, so the available resources are more diluted across larger areas. It's kinda like having 1000 available for a party, if you only have ten people coming that's a pretty decent budget, but if you have 1000 people coming everyon egets less :)

Probably a terrible analogy but hey it makes sense to me :D

dxsxhxcx
08-05-2013, 02:00 PM
how much development time these other games have in comparison with AC4?

itsamea-mario
08-05-2013, 02:12 PM
It's not really a fair comparison or indication of what to expect with AC4, open world games have massively greater areas to render, so the available resources are more diluted across larger areas. It's kinda like having 1000 available for a party, if you only have ten people coming that's a pretty decent budget, but if you have 1000 people coming everyon egets less :)

Probably a terrible analogy but hey it makes sense to me :D

Well, generally it doesn't render the entire area, just a certian part of it at time. For instance, i was playing AC3, it was running kinda slow, i found i was running faster than the environment was being properly rendered.