PDA

View Full Version : AC3 SP vs. MP graphic

Jureck0
08-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Is it possible? Have MP better graphic than SP? for example textures of grass. What do you think?

Anykeyer
08-05-2013, 06:58 AM
SP and MP run on different engines (AnvilNext DX11 in SP vs heavily customised AC2 DX9 engine in MP) and use different assets. Effectivelly they are 2 separate games bundled together.

Seriously_Soft
08-06-2013, 01:21 PM
There is no reason for the MP textures to be given more time / effort than SP. In fact usually it is the reverse.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? Not at all.

Anykeyer
08-06-2013, 01:38 PM
They are developed by different game studios. Its up to them how much time they spend on each feature. On average AC3 MP has lower video memory usage and lower texture resolution. But that does not mean some elements cant be of higher quiality than in SP. Again, they are 2 separate games with separate development teams. They just happen to come bundled together because publisher market them this way.

Seriously_Soft
08-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Exactly. As you said with the whole AC2 engine (though I think it can still run DX11? ACR is Dx10 or 11 I thought) the graphics might be limited in some ways but the smaller maps and amount of details needed to be created could mean more time to put maximum detail.

But then again game performance is arguably more important in Multiplayer due to its competitive and interactive nature so it's not worth having maximum resolution textures and shading everywhere if the game stutters like crazy.

I always thought the graphics were almost equal but in favour of single player. The multi graphics are more than nice enough as they are

BlastThyName
08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Exactly. As you said with the whole AC2 engine (though I think it can still run DX11? ACR is Dx10 or 11 I thought) the graphics might be limited in some ways but the smaller maps and amount of details needed to be created could mean more time to put maximum detail.
Nope, AC Revelations is DX9 only, the Anvil engine supports DX10 (AC1) but not DX11 like the AnvilNext (AC3/4).

Anykeyer
08-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Scimitar (AC1 engine) had somewhat limited DX10 support. Anvil engine (AC2, ACB, ACR and all MP) dropped it. ACB MP and ACR MP are both based on AC2 SP graphics engine with "injected" network middleware (Quazal Rendez-Vous) while SP conterparts continued to evolve separatelly. So there was already a gap in visuals and features supported by engine between ACB SP and ACB MP. SP used more advanced shading techniques, ambient occlusion and so on.
AC3 SP moved to DX11 AnvilNext, new engine is much more flexible. For example it completely changes how world blocks work so now stuff should not be of exact same heigh to be climbable, this change alone allowed for much more alive looking world compared to lego-like cities of previous games, and of course frontier with treerunning and flexible ground level.
AC3 MP engine got some noticable upgrades but at its core this is still same old Anvil engine. And looks like AC4 MP will still use Anvil.