PDA

View Full Version : Do you think AC will change style, eventually? How do you feel about it?

RinoTheBouncer
08-03-2013, 03:05 AM
I know many of you will light the torches and prepare the pyre to burn me for saying this, LOL. But, hey let's try.

Assassin's Creed is a franchise about a millennia old creed, born from two worlds, humans and the First Civilization and other people they recruit (who don't necessarily come from that lineage or have any abilities). They're a faction of people sworn to defend the freedom of the human race because they believe that life is priceless when it has freedom and that one must never be under control of any superior power (which is what their millennia long antagonizing faction, The Templars believe in) even if it leads to chaos.

So the game follows the struggle of both sides to achieve their goal. Both love humanity and seek peace yet by totally different means and phases. It's based on using a device called the Animus to relive the memories of ancestors stored as genetic memories in certain subjects to find out various secrets from the past that lead to drastic improvements or changes in general in present day. However, the game takes place majorly in historical periods and that's basically how the game has been so far and that's how it's been promoted, despite giving more and more importance to the present day portion of the game with each new game.

Now, how would you feel about changing the style of the game? since the game name is Assassin's Creed, then it's all about the assassin and their struggle with the Templars. The title doesn't confine it to a certain formula or style that it should live by forever. So I believe that after, let's say, six more games, I'm sure that even though "History is our playground", people will end up being bored of one fixed style and moving from land to ships and naval battles or jungles is a change but I wonder how far such changes will take place...

Games like Tomb Raider are known to be confined to a certain character, Lara Croft. Though she's been modified multiple times, as long as she's called Lara Croft, the game will have it's attention from the fans and the latest entry was perfectly received by the fans and it's sales were pretty good. It's also defined by the exploration, puzzle solving and relic hunting routine and it will not be a Tomb Raider game without those elements or without it's protagonist. Resident Evil was always about mutant creatures by different types of various in different forms. It usually sticks to the same staff of characters but keeps introducing new ones, even if it's just for one game.

Do you think Assassin's Creed is limited by historical settings? do you think bringing just one new game at least done in modern day will make it something else? Us, fans were devastated to let go of Desmond as the lead of the present day game and of Ezio is a hero of 3 consecutive games in the AC franchise, and I am sure that changing to a 60% water vs. 40% land is also a big change. How far do you think the games will go with those changes and how far are you willing to accept those changes?

I personally believe that we can't say that the AC franchise "losing it's feeling" because even though we've had 5 main games so far, the game is still very plot-driven and it's changing however the story demands so it's still building it's image. The first one was mainly about investigations (gameplay-wise) and of course, assassinations and with ACII it was expanded and you all know how the games evolved that even if we think "ACIII doesn't look like the rest" we'll notice that "the rest" barely look like one another.

It is very common for us, fans whether it's in music, films, video games, art..etc. that we hang on to a certain "iconic" feature like a singer makes hundreds of tracks and newer ones make so much more success than older ones yet us fans will always compare the new to the old despite the fact that the new elements, despite their differences, have proven to be iconic and just as successful, if not more. This gets things very limiting because for example, are we willing to let go of the Hidden Blade for the sake of a brilliant AC story and gameplay experience that takes place in a time when the hidden blade wasn't yet invented? or we want AC to continue featuring Hidden Blades forever? I believe in ACIII, the Tomahawk has eclipsed over the hidden blade and the use of the former became much more fun than the latter.

Same thing goes for time periods. Are we going to remain stuck between Altair's time and the year 1900 just because it looks "Historical" and has a "Hidden Blade"? or we're willing to let go of that part in favor of new yet great new and original story, setting and gameplay? are you going to welcome such changes had they ever took place?

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/261/d/c/assassins_creed_carte_blanche_by_panelgutter-d2yysjz.jpg

I was inspired very much by the beautifully-done and highly-imaginative and original artwork above. I'm not saying that AC should be adventure set during a war in space or in a post-apocalyptic good vs. bad robots infested town, but if you look well at the artwork above, the eyes are blue, indicating Eagle Sense, the A mark on the chest refers to being an Assassin, the right arm looks like that of Ezio's robes in AC:B and the other side looks like a substitute for the cape and of course the blade too and the head is made to look like a beaked hood. It's all new, it's all different but he is an assassin after all.

The game is about Assassins and I guess that the game mustn't be stuck with one formula or in a certain period of time or using a certain type of weapons or means of unlocking genetic memory but I wish that it expands further and if the story demands a modern day setting, then so it should be and if we're to have a story about assassin's in an ancient period of time that doesn't include the look and the weapons of the assassins we knew then so what?

I believe and hope the team at Ubisoft don't decide to just please everyone with the few iconic elements just to get sales. I don't think it will turn into a Prince of Persia game, had it removed the hidden blade and the hoodie nor turn into a Tomb Raider game had it been in modern day with guns. As long as the writer and the director are smart enough to capture the essence of the creed even when it doesn't look like what we've seen so far, then it will be an AC game. What really ruins the game isn't changing the type of missions we do or the timezone in just one game, it's rebooting the franchise over and over and beating it like a dead horse with bigger additions in multiplayer or turning it to an FPS or changing the type of camera and pace of the game just to look "modern" or like Call of Duty. That's what ruins the game, not an Assassin's Creed game in the time of JFK's assassination or Adam and Eve's revolution.

What do you think? voice your thoughts and suggestions.

scooper121s
08-03-2013, 03:16 AM
I wouldn't mind an Assassin's Creed set in the present/future, as long as they continued to give us a histroical Assassin's Creed every second year, and the other years we get this.

Spider_Sith9
08-03-2013, 03:23 AM
I know many of you will light the torches and prepare the pyre to burn me for saying this, LOL. But, hey let's try.

Assassin's Creed is a franchise about a millennia old creed, born from two worlds, humans and the First Civilization and other people they recruit (who don't necessarily come from that lineage or have any abilities). They're a faction of people sworn to defend the freedom of the human race because they believe that life is priceless when it has freedom and that one must never be under control of any superior power (which is what their millennia long antagonizing faction, The Templars believe in) even if it leads to chaos.

So the game follows the struggle of both sides to achieve their goal. Both love humanity and seek peace yet by totally different means and phases. It's based on using a device called the Animus to relive the memories of ancestors stored as genetic memories in certain subjects to find out various secrets from the past that lead to drastic improvements or changes in general in present day. However, the game takes place majorly in historical periods and that's basically how the game has been so far and that's how it's been promoted, despite giving more and more importance to the present day portion of the game with each new game.

Now, how would you feel about changing the style of the game? since the game name is Assassin's Creed, then it's all about the assassin and their struggle with the Templars. The title doesn't confine it to a certain formula or style that it should live by forever. So I believe that after, let's say, six more games, I'm sure that even though "History is our playground", people will end up being bored of one fixed style and moving from land to ships and naval battles or jungles is a change but I wonder how far such changes will take place...

Games like Tomb Raider are known to be confined to a certain character, Lara Croft. Though she's been modified multiple times, as long as she's called Lara Croft, the game will have it's attention from the fans and the latest entry was perfectly received by the fans and it's sales were pretty good. It's also defined by the exploration, puzzle solving and relic hunting routine and it will not be a Tomb Raider game without those elements or without it's protagonist. Resident Evil was always about mutant creatures by different types of various in different forms. It usually sticks to the same staff of characters but keeps introducing new ones, even if it's just for one game.

Do you think Assassin's Creed is limited by historical settings? do you think bringing just one new game at least done in modern day will make it something else? Us, fans were devastated to let go of Desmond as the lead of the present day game and of Ezio is a hero of 3 consecutive games in the AC franchise, and I am sure that changing to a 60% water vs. 40% land is also a big change. How far do you think the games will go with those changes and how far are you willing to accept those changes?

I personally believe that we can't say that the AC franchise "losing it's feeling" because even though we've had 5 main games so far, the game is still very plot-driven and it's changing however the story demands so it's still building it's image. The first one was mainly about investigations (gameplay-wise) and of course, assassinations and with ACII it was expanded and you all know how the games evolved that even if we think "ACIII doesn't look like the rest" we'll notice that "the rest" barely look like one another.

It is very common for us, fans whether it's in music, films, video games, art..etc. that we hang on to a certain "iconic" feature like a singer makes hundreds of tracks and newer ones make so much more success than older ones yet us fans will always compare the new to the old despite the fact that the new elements, despite their differences, have proven to be iconic and just as successful, if not more. This gets things very limiting because for example, are we willing to let go of the Hidden Blade for the sake of a brilliant AC story and gameplay experience that takes place in a time when the hidden blade wasn't yet invented? or we want AC to continue featuring Hidden Blades forever? I believe in ACIII, the Tomahawk has eclipsed over the hidden blade and the use of the former became much more fun than the latter.

Same thing goes for time periods. Are we going to remain stuck between Altair's time and the year 1900 just because it looks "Historical" and has a "Hidden Blade"? or we're willing to let go of that part in favor of new yet great new and original story, setting and gameplay? are you going to welcome such changes had they ever took place?

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/261/d/c/assassins_creed_carte_blanche_by_panelgutter-d2yysjz.jpg

I was inspired very much by the beautifully-done and highly-imaginative and original artwork above. I'm not saying that AC should be adventure set during a war in space or in a post-apocalyptic good vs. bad robots infested town, but if you look well at the artwork above, the eyes are blue, indicating Eagle Sense, the A mark on the chest refers to being an Assassin, the right arm looks like that of Ezio's robes in AC:B and the other side looks like a substitute for the cape and of course the blade too and the head is made to look like a beaked hood. It's all new, it's all different but he is an assassin after all.

The game is about Assassins and I guess that the game mustn't be stuck with one formula or in a certain period of time or using a certain type of weapons or means of unlocking genetic memory but I wish that it expands further and if the story demands a modern day setting, then so it should be and if we're to have a story about assassin's in an ancient period of time that doesn't include the look and the weapons of the assassins we knew then so what?

I believe and hope the team at Ubisoft don't decide to just please everyone with the few iconic elements just to get sales. I don't think it will turn into a Prince of Persia game, had it removed the hidden blade and the hoodie nor turn into a Tomb Raider game had it been in modern day with guns. As long as the writer and the director are smart enough to capture the essence of the creed even when it doesn't look like what we've seen so far, then it will be an AC game. What really ruins the game isn't changing the type of missions we do or the timezone in just one game, it's rebooting the franchise over and over and beating it like a dead horse with bigger additions in multiplayer or turning it to an FPS or changing the type of camera and pace of the game just to look "modern" or like Call of Duty. That's what ruins the game, not an Assassin's Creed game in the time of JFK's assassination or Adam and Eve's revolution.

What do you think? voice your thoughts and suggestions.

Yes! I want a Modern and Futuristic AC SOOOOOOOOO bad just as much as I want a Chinese/Japanese/Victorian and Connor AC game. Especially one where AC has Co-op POV with 4 characters you can customize done from adventure game style (investigate) and AC traditional (main missions). Cars and Auto-Firearms and many different types of Horses. Motorcycles and Wingsuits. *drools*

pirate1802
08-03-2013, 03:51 AM
You know, I kinda agree with you. This probably wouldnt be a very popular notion and I myself would have thought this a blasphemy a few years ago, but Ubisoft clearly intends to push out an AC every year. In this scenario I think the best way forward would be to change things up as much as possible. Ofcourse it still need to be Assassins Creed, and the core pillars need to be there, but they need to do something like they did in Black Flag. Change things up to prevent fatigue. Lets go all the way back to the First Era. Let us play as one of Alexander's cohorts on world conquest. Where is my Ancient Rome AC? I wanna play as the persian Assassin who offed Xerxes. Things like that. Wild variety with each iteration. That's what I'm talking about. IMO, its better to be "this is not Assassins Creed!" than be "same **** every year, this is CoD now!" Ofcourse the best thing would be to not push out a new AC every year but we all know that isn't happening so..

To add: By changing things up wildly I mean within a historic setting. Still can't find enough love for a 100% present day or futuristic AC..

adventurewomen
08-03-2013, 03:57 AM
IDo you think Assassin's Creed is limited by historical settings?
Even a futuristic setting has it's limitations, I wouldn't mind a future AC game to be set in both an historic and future theme. Without history an AC game is bland, I'm a fan of Tomb Raider as well what I love is the mix of both worlds. Historic settings & characters are what make an AC game, without history there isn't much of an AC game. When I say history, I mean in any time period it could be the future for us but for the game it's past look from the future, kind of like a past that has yet to happen.

OSantaClownO
08-03-2013, 04:17 AM
I would just rather a very similar franchise instead of taking over Assassin's Creed.

RinoTheBouncer
08-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Yes! I want a Modern and Futuristic AC SOOOOOOOOO bad just as much as I want a Chinese/Japanese/Victorian and Connor AC game. Especially one where AC has Co-op POV with 4 characters you can customize done from adventure game style (investigate) and AC traditional (main missions). Cars and Auto-Firearms and many different types of Horses. Motorcycles and Wingsuits. *drools*

Actually I do crave all that. Let's make an AC game that is 50:50 between modern day and historical setting or I love your idea of having a game every other year one historical, one modern and that's how the story is divided and it's all linked after all

You know, I kinda agree with you. This probably wouldnt be a very popular notion and I myself would have thought this a blasphemy a few years ago, but Ubisoft clearly intends to push out an AC every year. In this scenario I think the best way forward would be to change things up as much as possible. Ofcourse it still need to be Assassins Creed, and the core pillars need to be there, but they need to do something like they did in Black Flag. Change things up to prevent fatigue. Lets go all the way back to the First Era. Let us play as one of Alexander's cohorts on world conquest. Where is my Ancient Rome AC? I wanna play as the persian Assassin who offed Xerxes. Things like that. Wild variety with each iteration. That's what I'm talking about. IMO, its better to be "this is not Assassins Creed!" than be "same **** every year, this is CoD now!" Ofcourse the best thing would be to not push out a new AC every year but we all know that isn't happening so..

To add: By changing things up wildly I mean within a historic setting. Still can't find enough love for a 100% present day or futuristic AC..

I TOTALLY AGREE!

I mean all those settings you mentioned, especially that of the First Era are just amazing to explore and I'm sure they'd be overflowing with stories and information related to the whole Creed and the Templars. I don't mind a game every year and by that, people will still have a chance next year had the setting didn't appeal to them much.

Even a futuristic setting has it's limitations, I wouldn't mind a future AC game to be set in both an historic and future theme. Without history an AC game is bland, I'm a fan of Tomb Raider as well what I love is the mix of both worlds. Historic settings & characters are what make an AC game, without history there isn't much of an AC game. When I say history, I mean in any time period it could be the future for us but for the game it's past look from the future, kind of like a past that has yet to happen.

Yeah, I'm cool with mixing both in 50:50 not like 95:5 LOL. I love Tomb Raider and even though it's essence is Tombs, I can never deny how city levels were fun and awesome.

pirate1802
08-03-2013, 12:46 PM
I think they should and probably will do Co-op sooner or later. The possibilities are immense. I was watching the demo of the Division I was thinking how much fun this type of AC game would be. You and your friend(s), roaming the open wold at leisure; picking up missions here and there. Sync assassinating. etc.

And by Co-op I mean proper story co-op. Not the ****ty Wolfpack mode.

Sushiglutton
08-03-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't think history will ever feel repetetive. There are an endless amount of eras/setting and gameplay oppurtunities to choose from. No other game of this kind does history anywhere near as good imo (there are games like Total War etc in other genres though). It's no coincidence that whenever a gamer wants a certain historical setting they come to this forum and begs Ubi :). There are tons of games set in modern day or some kind of sci-fi setting. Not that I will ever be bored of those two either I just don't see the need for AC to go there.

I'm much more interested in changing the gameplay drastically by for example making a linear game, or focus on other things than violence (I want to be a pyramid architect in Egypt!). I agree that the once/year thing means they can go nuts since we will always get a new game next year. But I doubt they see it that way :p.

ze_topazio
08-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Take the historical part and suddenly AC is just another sandbox game that wouldn't really stand out that much, how can you people, after so many games, still don't understand what this series is about?!

That fanart, why would an Assassin dress like that, is he fighting in war? is he a superhero? aren't Assassins supposed to be working in the shadows without being seen, in a modern or futuristic scenario that would be even more important, in the past they could get away with being flashy, in this days with cameras and databases and stuff, they would be identified pretty easily.

Spider_Sith9
08-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Take the historical part and suddenly AC is just another sandbox game that wouldn't really stand out that much, how can you people, after so many games, still don't understand what this series is about?!

That fanart, why would an Assassin dress like that, is he fighting in war? is he a superhero? aren't Assassins supposed to be working in the shadows without being seen, in a modern or futuristic scenario that would be even more important, in the past they could get away with being flashy, in this days with cameras and databases and stuff, they would be identified pretty easily.

It's supposed to give you an idea. Also if you want, it could be a plot element as to why heavy-use of cybernetics is tolerable in those days.

pirate1802
08-03-2013, 01:33 PM
That fanart, why would an Assassin dress like that, is he fighting in war? is he a superhero?

Its a robot. It will blare out expletives at Templars while stomping them and continuously repeating the Creed. Think FO3's Liberty Prime.

"Die Templar Scum!"
"You have been freed of this body"
"Authoritarian spotted!"
"I'm sure your Father of Understanding would understand this."
"Preparing to engage the extremists."

DisbandedBox359
08-03-2013, 02:20 PM
a 50 50 split is all I've wanted from the modern day, not the 3 missions we got in ACIII

DisbandedBox359
08-03-2013, 02:39 PM
"I'm sure your Father of Understanding would understand this."

Forget robots I want Edward to say that haha

Spider_Sith9
08-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Forget robots I want Edward to say that haha

Man I wanna say that when I shoot a modern Templar. But being how Ubisoft (and you guys) don't care about modern day...

DisbandedBox359
08-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Man I wanna say that when I shoot a modern Templar. But being how Ubisoft (and you guys) don't care about modern day...

I don't care about modern day? Blasphemy :P

Spider_Sith9
08-03-2013, 04:04 PM
I don't care about modern day? Blasphemy :P

I mean the general fanbase. Guns/Modern Day and Oriental ACs are the most hated things in the fanbase. For some as gamers in general even.

AssassinHMS
08-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Ok, first I want to say that history is fundamental to AC, not because there can’t be an AC game without the animus taking us to certain historical periods but because history plays a huge part in the lure of the franchise, in the gameplay and in the overall atmosphere, not to mention, many people buy these games just to be able to “live” history.
That being said, Assassin’s Creed, like any other franchise, has a set number of pillars that are responsible for its identity and that cannot be replaced or moved without losing (partially or completely) the essence of the series itself.
This means that there are aspects, ideas and concepts that shouldn’t be removed:
. The Protagonist – must be an Assassin (or a Templar) since the purpose of the game is to make the player feel like one;
. The Story – has to portrait the conflict between Assassins and Templars and focus on it from a mature and interesting perspective. However it should stay away from the history of said nation and view it, as well as the resulting conflicts, as a separate thing and not as the main focus like in AC3;
. The Set – should be the one that the developers believe to be the best (or one of the best) to portrait the fight between Assassins and Templars and that goes along nicely with the picture whether it’s an oppressive, dark city like Acre or a colorful and sophisticated one such as Venice. However, the choice of the set must be about the Assassins/Templars struggle and about making the player feel like an assassin. For example, a set that is perfect for pirates, even if it makes sense for assassins, should never be chosen because the game should be an assassin’s creed game and not a Pirate game with a few AC elements.
. The Icons – the hidden blade must have a central role in the daily activities of an assassin and should never be overshadowed by tomahawks, swords, or guns; the hood must be there as well;
. The concept – the game must be all about gathering information from people in the streets or from specific targets, by pickpocketing, interrogating and eavesdropping which should lead to a major assassination to be carried by the player as he/she sees fit. In AC1 this was considered boring by quite a few people but that doesn’t give, the developers, the right to eliminate them from future games. Instead the devs must spice them up by making them more varied and more interesting to complete (which isn’t difficult as I have a few ideas myself). This doesn’t mean that there shouldn’t be other activities that don’t have much to do with the assassin’s creed concept like purchasing buildings, hunting or even sailing the high seas, but these things should be a minority and must never be a central part of the game or, at least, the majority.
In my opinion, if more than one of these aspects is removed, changed or ignored then they might as well start another franchise because it won’t feel like a real Assassin’s Creed game at least to me.
I also want to say that, if the series can no longer stay true to these concepts and remain fresh, then there is no need for it to continue or change its nature because if delaying the inevitable means to give up on itself, then its existence is worthless.

pirate1802
08-03-2013, 04:56 PM
I mean the general fanbase. Guns/Modern Day and Oriental ACs are the most hated things in the fanbase. For some as gamers in general even.

And for good reason. Is it too much to ask that the one defining feature of this franchise, that puts it way apart from the others; to remain in the franchise?

Spider_Sith9
08-03-2013, 05:08 PM
And for good reason. Is it too much to ask that the one defining feature of this franchise, that puts it way apart from the others; to remain in the franchise?

Just sayin' you guys hold me back from killing a modern Templar. :)

pirate1802
08-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Just sayin' you guys hold me back from killing a modern Templar. :)

Do it in Farccry 3 or Watch_Dogs. They share the same universe anyway. Just headcanon one of the antagonists to be an Abstergo agent.

x___Luffy___x
08-03-2013, 06:11 PM
i dont think i will like a modern day or AC set in future...

ArabianFrost
08-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Do it in Farccry 3 or Watch_Dogs. They share the same universe anyway. Just headcanon one of the antagonists to be an Abstergo agent.

What? None of the games share the universe. Easter eggs don't constitute as "same universe".

pirate1802
08-03-2013, 06:28 PM
What? None of the games share the universe. Easter eggs don't constitute as "same universe".

I thought it was stated somewhere?

ArabianFrost
08-03-2013, 06:47 PM
I thought it was stated somewhere?

If anything at all, the opposite was stated.

ladyleonhart
08-03-2013, 07:01 PM
"History is our playground."

So AC needs history, otherwise it's not AC. So... no thank you. :)

AC2_alex
08-03-2013, 08:51 PM
AC made a huge stylistic change in AC3, in my opinion. From the new engine to the naval gameplay..... it changed a lot.

LoyalACFan
08-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm open to a lot of ideas about where Assassin's Creed should head, but this isn't one. The primary reason I like AC is for the history; it's a fairly unique trait of the franchise. Practically every other game on the market is present-day/futuristic, and frankly, I'm a bit tired of it. If you want a modern sandbox game, play Grand Theft Auto or Watchdogs. If you want a futuristic one, play Mass Effect. Staying true to its roots is not the same thing as "becoming COD"; I'm sure that if COD announced that its next entry would be set in the 1500's, COD fans would be (rightfully) upset.

AC2_alex
08-03-2013, 09:16 PM
If AC ever made a modern day game, which isn't gonna happen, they'd have to change sooo many things, they might as well make a new IP.

LoyalACFan
08-03-2013, 09:35 PM
If AC ever made a modern day game, which isn't gonna happen, they'd have to change sooo many things, they might as well make a new IP.

Which is probably where Watch_Dogs came from...

AC2_alex
08-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Which is probably where Watch_Dogs came from...

Maybe, I just think different Ubi studios influence each other greatly.

monoman32
08-03-2013, 09:48 PM
I think it either be a boom or a bust if they went to a futuristic game. There are some locations that I hope never happen, but there are countless eras in history to go.

Oleg l Kirrlov
08-03-2013, 10:47 PM
I would be down for change but the way you guys are describing how you want a modern day AC sounds like GTA. But if they went back in time (first era) as a prequel it would succeed unlike halo reach and GoW J.

Jexx21
08-03-2013, 10:54 PM

I'm sorry, but the Far Cry 3 Abstergo mentions are not just normal easter eggs.

And Darby said that he personally thinks of some of the games as being in the "Ubiverse."

I'm of the impression that Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed share the same universe, and that the Rakyat tataus are the same thing as the Red Willow tea. I wouldn't be surprised to see Watch_Dogs be in the same universe as well. The stories of the games obviously wouldn't intersect, but I personally believe that they're set up in a way that they could very well be in the same universe.

LoyalACFan
08-03-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry, but the Far Cry 3 Abstergo mentions are not just normal easter eggs.

And Darby said that he personally thinks of some of the games as being in the "Ubiverse."

I'm of the impression that Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed share the same universe, and that the Rakyat tataus are the same thing as the Red Willow tea. I wouldn't be surprised to see Watch_Dogs be in the same universe as well. The stories of the games obviously wouldn't intersect, but I personally believe that they're set up in a way that they could very well be in the same universe.

Red Willow Tea powers aren't canon though, that's just something that the Apple came up with. I highly doubt AC would delve into any fantasy not related to TOWCB/POE's.

RinoTheBouncer
08-04-2013, 12:30 AM
I believe we can let go of the Hidden Blade and even the iconic robes if they wanted to go to a certain time when these didn't exist. If the story is good enough then I'm sure nobody will mind the era nor the location. Just like how the Hidden Blade became iconic, another weapon can become iconic as well.

LoyalACFan
08-04-2013, 07:10 AM
I believe we can let go of the Hidden Blade and even the iconic robes if they wanted to go to a certain time when these didn't exist. If the story is good enough then I'm sure nobody will mind the era nor the location. Just like how the Hidden Blade became iconic, another weapon can become iconic as well.

Thing is, though, the hidden blade was supposedly invented in the Persian Wars, and to be honest I wouldn't want a game set much earlier than that. Antiquity to 1800 is the best range for AC in my opinion. I know that leaves out ancient Egypt in the time of Khufu, as some people have requested, but if we're getting an Egyptian game I'd much rather see it set nearer to the time of Cleopatra so you could also work the Romans into the plot.

Jexx21
08-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Red Willow Tea powers aren't canon though, that's just something that the Apple came up with. I highly doubt AC would delve into any fantasy not related to TOWCB/POE's.

The Apple calculates possible outcomes. The apple chose to show an outcome that was possible at one point in time. I'm under the impression that the Red Willow tea was built upon some sort of TWCB-food storage. Shaun did find one in the Grand Temple, after all. I think that this same TWCB food-source is what provides the powers and tataus in Far Cry 3 as well.

You don't have to accept it as canon, but I will.

LoyalACFan
08-04-2013, 07:40 AM
The Apple calculates possible outcomes. The apple chose to show an outcome that was possible at one point in time. I'm under the impression that the Red Willow tea was built upon some sort of TWCB-food storage. Shaun did find one in the Grand Temple, after all. I think that this same TWCB food-source is what provides the powers and tataus in Far Cry 3 as well.

You don't have to accept it as canon, but I will.

You could be right. I haven't played FC3, so I don't know what context these tataus are presented in. However, since the Red Willow appears out of nowhere in TOKW (it's not present in the actual Frontier) I had just written the whole DLC off as quasi-canon. The stuff about GW giving Connor the Apple was all true and the gist of its message was canon as well, but I was kinda suspending my disbelief about certain things in the vision. After all, if it just computes potential outcomes, why did it show Ziio/Kanento:kon alive again? Since the vision never came true, I think the devs were willing to mess around a bit with the canon. Which is fine IMO, it's just that we shouldn't take everything in the DLC to be 100% pure canon.

Jexx21
08-04-2013, 07:43 AM
The reality of TOKW is an entirely different one compared to the actual real one. It's divergent point actually happened way back in TWCB times, seeing as the Grand Temple isn't in New York in TOKW. Haytham was also most likely an Assassin. Faulkner wasn't an Assassin ally either.

I'll create my own headcannon, thank you :P

RinoTheBouncer
08-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Thing is, though, the hidden blade was supposedly invented in the Persian Wars, and to be honest I wouldn't want a game set much earlier than that. Antiquity to 1800 is the best range for AC in my opinion. I know that leaves out ancient Egypt in the time of Khufu, as some people have requested, but if we're getting an Egyptian game I'd much rather see it set nearer to the time of Cleopatra so you could also work the Romans into the plot.

I would love to see something in the times of TWCB, Ancient Roma, Ancient Egypt and of course Mesopotamia and the Sumerian era.
There are tones of conspiracy theories and ancient astronaut stuff related to those and the whole TWCB-engineered-humans thing is highly inspired by that theory of aliens came from space and helped in the evolution or creation of humans so I guess it would only be smart if we get to use such rich material for a historical setting, beautiful scenery, brand new location and an original plot.

Spider_Sith9
08-04-2013, 04:51 PM
The reality of TOKW is an entirely different one compared to the actual real one. It's divergent point actually happened way back in TWCB times, seeing as the Grand Temple isn't in New York in TOKW. Haytham was also most likely an Assassin. Faulkner wasn't an Assassin ally either.

I'll create my own headcannon, thank you :P

You do that. Meanwhile I'll be playing my AC game with Guns, Wingsuits, Motorcycles, Jetpacks and Plasma Swords. :)

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17vs93l2ai8eojpg/original.jpg

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17vs93l27g4o9jpg/original.jpg

pirate1802
08-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Wow.. thats even worse that those hypersexualized female assassin fanarts..

RinoTheBouncer
08-04-2013, 05:22 PM
I like those

RinoTheBouncer
01-02-2014, 05:20 PM
I didn’t wanna create a new thread about this since we have this one. Now that we’re waiting for a new AC game announcement. Voice your opinions about what changes do you expect, or want to have.

marcbryan
01-02-2014, 05:30 PM
I think an AC set in the future would be interesting if it was a bit more grounded and gritty like Blade Runner or Firefly.

I-Like-Pie45
01-02-2014, 05:36 PM
more violence

i want to be able to strangle templars to death with their own intestines

Honey-McBadger
01-02-2014, 05:40 PM
I think it has changed style. The modern day certainly has - we've changed from third-person to first-person. Black Flag also showed a willingness to look at the Creed from a fresh perspective. We were a pirate for the vast majority of the game.

I absolutely do not think a 50:50 game is going to happen. The franchise is annualised (though games are developed for longer than a year) and there isn't enough time for them to do that approach justice.

I also don't think an entirely modern day game is likely. The franchise is about exploring the past, and I think they'd see the move to an entirely present day game too risky, and not worth that risk.

A game in the very distant past is more likely. I wouldn't object to that, if it was done right. Personally, I would still like some of the characters to be people I recognise.

RinoTheBouncer
01-02-2014, 10:28 PM
I think it has changed style. The modern day certainly has - we've changed from third-person to first-person. Black Flag also showed a willingness to look at the Creed from a fresh perspective. We were a pirate for the vast majority of the game.

I absolutely do not think a 50:50 game is going to happen. The franchise is annualised (though games are developed for longer than a year) and there isn't enough time for them to do that approach justice.

I also don't think an entirely modern day game is likely. The franchise is about exploring the past, and I think they'd see the move to an entirely present day game too risky, and not worth that risk.

A game in the very distant past is more likely. I wouldn't object to that, if it was done right. Personally, I would still like some of the characters to be people I recognise.

I’d do anything for a fully present day game or a very VERY distant past game.

Honey-McBadger
01-02-2014, 10:39 PM
If you'd do anything, I'd recommend starting by infiltrating Ubisoft's market research arm and forging some surveys. It says you're an initiate, so it shouldn't be too hard!