PDA

View Full Version : Concerning atmosphere.

Ciremo
07-31-2013, 12:12 AM
I have questions which I think are crucial to any pirate game.

Will there be moments of dark rainy nights, in towns where everyone has taken shelter from the cold, wet night? Will there be sharp winds tearing at your billowing coat as you're walking down a dark alley, unaware of the upcoming ambush? Will there be bright fires, candles and torches to light up the streets as drunkards, *****s and pirates roam about in the contant chaos of a booty town?

If not, why should this be called a pirate game?

OSantaClownO
07-31-2013, 01:05 AM
I have questions which I think are crucial to any pirate game.

Will there be moments of dark rainy nights, in towns where everyone has taken shelter from the cold, wet night? Will there be sharp winds tearing at your billowing coat as you're walking down a dark alley, unaware of the upcoming ambush? Will there be bright fires, candles and torches to light up the streets as drunkards, *****s and pirates roam about in the contant chaos of a booty town?

If not, why should this be called a pirate game?

There are so many atmosphere points in a "pirate game".
If that is what you're looking for, then it might be not the right game for you.
I'm currently unaware if any of the content you described will be in the final game, but I have to say it sounds most unlikely.

Are you even familar with the Assassin's Creed series?

Wolfmeister1010
07-31-2013, 01:09 AM
If that is what you're looking for, then it might be not the right game for you.
I'm currently unaware if any of the content you described will be in the final game, but I have to say it sounds most unlikely.

What are you talking about? Ash has said again and again that they are focusing a LOT on the pure atmosphere and ambiance of the Caribbean open world. Nassau has been said to fit perfectly the OP description of the "booty town". Rain and weather is in the game, and on the next gen version, wind is said to be overhauled.

It is VERY likely that the game will fit that description

Jexx21
07-31-2013, 01:10 AM
Nassau is the Pirate City, it's supposed to be rather chaotic. They will probably keep the weather system from AC3 in place, which means there will be storms in the cities and villages, but I doubt that there will be people taking shelter, as they haven't programmed the AI to do that. I imagine that there will be fires, candles, and torches in the streets at night. The day/night cycle has been in place since AC2.

So yea, most of what you listed should be there, besides people taking shelter from the rain and cold. Once they make some upgrades to the anvil next system though, make it truly next-gen, they may have a different civilian system in place depending on the time of day and what the weather is like.

Jexx21
07-31-2013, 01:12 AM
Also, those systems are basic "atmosphere" things, not just pirate atmosphere.

Wolfmeister1010
07-31-2013, 01:47 AM
Nassau is the Pirate City, it's supposed to be rather chaotic. They will probably keep the weather system from AC3 in place, which means there will be storms in the cities and villages, but I doubt that there will be people taking shelter, as they haven't programmed the AI to do that. I imagine that there will be fires, candles, and torches in the streets at night. The day/night cycle has been in place since AC2.

So yea, most of what you listed should be there, besides people taking shelter from the rain and cold. Once they make some upgrades to the anvil next system though, make it truly next-gen, they may have a different civilian system in place depending on the time of day and what the weather is like.
Who knows? Maybe they do respond to weather now. We haven't seen any footage of weather yet...

Azurefeatherfly
07-31-2013, 02:42 AM
There is no way that NPCs are going to be able to react to weather, they just do not have the memory on the PS3 and 360 to do that kind of stuff. This is the reason why the Fire of New York was taken out of AC3 because NPCs could not react to fire in a believable manner. However we do know that there will be a city called Nassau, occupied by Pirates so I do think we will retain the historic identity of the Pirate Era.

This game is still called Assassin's Creed, which is something that cannot be ignored so calling it a pirate game might be 100% correct. Edward Kenway is a Pirate trained by Assassins, he can be both at the same time and there is no need for Edward to be so clearly defined so that he can remain an interesting character throughout the game.

Wolfmeister1010
07-31-2013, 02:51 AM
There is no way that NPCs are going to be able to react to weather, they just do not have the memory on the PS3 and 360 to do that kind of stuff. This is the reason why the Fire of New York was taken out of AC3 because NPCs could not react to fire in a believable manner. However we do know that there will be a city called Nassau, occupied by Pirates so I do think we will retain the historic identity of the Pirate Era.

This game is still called Assassin's Creed, which is something that cannot be ignored so calling it a pirate game might be 100% correct. Edward Kenway is a Pirate trained by Assassins, he can be both at the same time and there is no need for Edward to be so clearly defined so that he can remain an interesting character throughout the game.

...but what about the next gen consoles? Npcs reacting to weather would be something that a next gen console could do, and it wouldn't affect gameplay, so it would be a sensible thing to put it the next gen version

OSantaClownO
07-31-2013, 04:32 AM
What are you talking about? Ash has said again and again that they are focusing a LOT on the pure atmosphere and ambiance of the Caribbean open world. Nassau has been said to fit perfectly the OP description of the "booty town". Rain and weather is in the game, and on the next gen version, wind is said to be overhauled.

It is VERY likely that the game will fit that description

As I already said there are different points in the atmosphere of a pirate game,
We've yet to see or hear about anything related to what the OP stated.

The atmosphere we have seen is completely different, yet isn't contrary to what the OP said.

The details the OP went through when he described his "fantasy pirate game" are behind ever measure I've seen yet.

LoyalACFan
07-31-2013, 04:40 AM
...but what about the next gen consoles? Npcs reacting to weather would be something that a next gen console could do, and it wouldn't affect gameplay, so it would be a sensible thing to put it the next gen version

It's not a question of console power (hell, current-gen could handle NPC's reacting to weather) it's just that it would take a lot of time and effort for such a small detail that a majority of players probably won't even notice. If they just reduce the number of NPC's on the street when it rains, that'd be fine. Just as long as there are no bustling marketplaces during thunderstorms.

Jexx21
07-31-2013, 05:41 AM
As I already said there are different points in the atmosphere of a pirate game,
We've yet to see or hear about anything related to what the OP stated.

The atmosphere we have seen is completely different, yet isn't contrary to what the OP said.

The details the OP went through when he described his "fantasy pirate game" are behind ever measure I've seen yet.
Lights and torches have been in every AC game.
Day/Night cycles have been in since AC2.
Weather is in AC3
Chaotic pirate cities and villages are confirmed

only think missing from his list is NPCs reacting to weather and Edward's cloak billowing in the wind.

OSantaClownO
07-31-2013, 05:56 AM
Lights and torches have been in every AC game. - He asked if we can light torches.
Day/Night cycles have been in since AC2.,Weather is in AC3 - He asked if NPC's during the cold night will be inside, not about Weathers and nights.
Chaotic pirate cities and villages are confirmed .

only think missing from his list is NPCs reacting to weather and Edward's cloak billowing in the wind.

If I misunderstood his questions, then you're right.

Jexx21
07-31-2013, 06:01 AM
He didn't ask if we can light torches. He asked if there would be candles torches lighting up shanty towns at night while drunks and prostitutes roam around. Since lights have always been in AC, and drunken pirates and prostitutes (most likely anyway on the prostitutes), that would be a yes.

I put the weather and day/night cycles in because he asked about rain at night. I answered the second part by saying that NPCs reacting to the weather is missing.

Majority of what he asked about is in the game.

OSantaClownO
07-31-2013, 06:10 AM
He didn't ask if we can light torches. He asked if there would be candles torches lighting up shanty towns at night while drunks and prostitutes roam around. Since lights have always been in AC, and drunken pirates and prostitutes (most likely anyway on the prostitutes), that would be a yes.

I put the weather and day/night cycles in because he asked about rain at night. I answered the second part by saying that NPCs reacting to the weather is missing.

Majority of what he asked about is in the game.

If it is that way.
Then you're absolutely right.

Ciremo
07-31-2013, 07:27 AM

Yes, I have played everyone so far. That is why I am concerned. I worry that the usual gimmicks of collectibles and "extended gameplay" will ruin this absolutely wonderful chance to make an excellent pirate themed game. I believe 1 and 2 had very good thematical atmospheres, while three lent itself more toward a forced pseudo-history. The Pirate Era is more mythical and unfactual than all previous games, which is why I really hope they make an effort to incorporate these delicate moments which might rekindle the childhood memories of Disney pirates, Blackbeard and many other classic stories dense with romanticism. :)

Also thank you a lot for all of the passionate answers!

Jexx21
07-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Well, they said that they aren't trying to be "disney pirates" and instead are trying to be the real deal.

OSantaClownO
07-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Yes, I have played everyone so far. That is why I am concerned. I worry that the usual gimmicks of collectibles and "extended gameplay" will ruin this absolutely wonderful chance to make an excellent pirate themed game. I believe 1 and 2 had very good thematical atmospheres, while three lent itself more toward a forced pseudo-history. The Pirate Era is more mythical and unfactual than all previous games, which is why I really hope they make an effort to incorporate these delicate moments which might rekindle the childhood memories of Disney pirates, Blackbeard and many other classic stories dense with romanticism. :)

Also thank you a lot for all of the passionate answers!

If you're worried about the actual general atmosphere, and the game being un-realstic, then you could leave your worries down.
I'm not quite full with the details about what features are in and what features are out therefore I was actually responding with a negative answer - as those details seems to be very specific (but you might ignore it as I still don't quite understand your first questions), However this game is (almost) guaranteed at being authentic and realistic according to the actual period of piracy.

If you're into both Assassin's Creed and Pirate games, this might be the big game for you.

Ciremo
07-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Well, they said that they aren't trying to be "disney pirates" and instead are trying to be the real deal.
Lol, the real deal? Doubt it. Real pirates were ****ty.

Assassin_M
07-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Lol, the real deal? Doubt it. Real pirates were ****ty.
Then this game may not be for you. This isn't some fantastical kids Disney version of Pirates. it`s the gritty, realistic and tough version of the actual historical pirates. confirmed by the game`s writer..

Ciremo
07-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Then this game may not be for you. This isn't some fantastical kids Disney version of Pirates. it`s the gritty, realistic and tough version of the actual historical pirates. confirmed by the game`s writer..

No, I think you misintepreted what I meant. I'm all for historically accuracy. But the pirates that actually existed aren't very entertaining. They were basically bandits on sea who barely survived their own existence, due to starvation, sickness and robbing armed guards out of desperation. "Gritty and tough" isn't the same as malnourished sea dogs scraping for pieces to survive.

So for their own sake they better stay away from historical acuracy on this one. :)

Assassin_M
07-31-2013, 04:15 PM
So for their own sake they better stay away from historical acuracy on this one. :)
They wont...they confirmed it, i`m sorry...it`s not a fantasy game

Also, did you actually read the history of Pirates?? I suggest you do..also read about some of the more prominent Pirates of the day.

Jexx21
08-01-2013, 04:54 AM
The Golden Age of Pirates is where pirates really thrived. Hence "golden age."

OSantaClownO
08-01-2013, 05:13 AM
The Golden Age of Pirates is where pirates really thrived. Hence "golden age."

This.

LoyalACFan
08-01-2013, 06:00 AM
No, I think you misintepreted what I meant. I'm all for historically accuracy. But the pirates that actually existed aren't very entertaining. They were basically bandits on sea who barely survived their own existence, due to starvation, sickness and robbing armed guards out of desperation. "Gritty and tough" isn't the same as malnourished sea dogs scraping for pieces to survive.

This isn't necessarily true... The most successful pirate crews of the day were rich as hell, and they were rarely far enough from the coast to run a risk of depleting their whole food supply. It was still a dangerous occupation due to its violent nature, but they certainly weren't struggling to survive.

ladyleonhart
08-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Regarding historical accuracy, whilst they will stick to what they can it just isn't always possible. There will certainly be some discrepancies in order to improve gameplay, for readability and simply to make it an Assassin's Creed game.

Assassin_M
08-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Regarding historical accuracy, whilst they will stick to what they can it just isn't always possible. There will certainly be some discrepancies in order to improve gameplay, for readability and simply to make it an Assassin's Creed game.
That we much we know, he`s talking about whether or not the image of the pirates themselves will be historically accurate or as portrayed in Hollywood

ladyleonhart
08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
That we much we know, he`s talking about whether or not the image of the pirates themselves will be historically accurate or as portrayed in Hollywood

Okay. I'm not sure what his definition of Hollywood pirates is. However, they have had to make significant changes to costumes so that we can tell the difference between pirates AND sailors. At that time, pirates AND sailors wore the same kind of outfits. Then they have changed this so that we know who is on our side and who is not.

Assassin_M
08-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Okay. I'm not sure what his definition of Hollywood pirates is. However, they have had to make significant changes to costumes so that we can tell the difference between pirates AND sailors. At that time, pirates AND sailors wore the same kind of outfits. Then they have changed this so that we know who is on our side and who is not.
no no, not the outfits. their image in general. like will it be a fantastical atmosphere where Pirates are something mystical or will it be as they were in history? (Plundering, whoring, drinking, gritty thieves and killers)

LoyalACFan
08-01-2013, 09:59 AM

I think he was talking about a bit of both of what you and ladyleonhart are saying. He mentioned his desire to experience the pirate atmosphere that Hollywood has made us expect, as well as a desire to see more deviation from historical fact concerning actual events since, in his opinion (and mine, incidentally), AC3 tried to hard to chronicle every event it could.

ladyleonhart
08-01-2013, 10:07 AM
I think he was talking about a bit of both of what you and ladyleonhart are saying. He mentioned his desire to experience the pirate atmosphere that Hollywood has made us expect, as well as a desire to see more deviation from historical fact concerning actual events since, in his opinion (and mine, incidentally), AC3 tried to hard to chronicle every event it could.

Okay. Well, one example is that pirates didn't participate in lots of hand-to-hand combat. There was a lot of shouting and scaring people. Then, because it's an AC game they couldn't really work with that, of course. So that is another deviation from historical accuracy.

Also, it is going to be less accurate than AC2. So I don't think you have anything to worry about there. The reason for this, I'm not really sure but I've been told it is story-related.

ladyleonhart
08-01-2013, 10:19 AM
no no, not the outfits. their image in general. like will it be a fantastical atmosphere where Pirates are something mystical or will it be as they were in history? (Plundering, whoring, drinking, gritty thieves and killers)

Well, the majority of pirate attacks were actually non-lethal so there was not much combat at all. So, historically, they weren't known as killers. Of course, that would have to change for an AC game, as I said before.

LoyalACFan
08-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Also, it is going to be less accurate than AC2. So I don't think you have anything to worry about there. The reason for this, I'm not really sure but I've been told it is story-related.

Less accurate than AC2? :confused: I don't remember AC2 really striving for historical accuracy, but then again, it never explicitly contradicted history either. Maybe AC4 has a really big deviation somewhere in its story... If I had to guess, I would say it would be Blackbeard faking his death. The game's set to span about ten years starting in 1715, and BB would only be alive for three of those years. As much as they've been hyping him, it would be strange if he died early on.

ladyleonhart
08-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Less accurate than AC2? :confused: I don't remember AC2 really striving for historical accuracy, but then again, it never explicitly contradicted history either. Maybe AC4 has a really big deviation somewhere in its story... If I had to guess, I would say it would be Blackbeard faking his death. The game's set to span about ten years starting in 1715, and BB would only be alive for three of those years. As much as they've been hyping him, it would be strange if he died early on.

Sorry if I confused you. Well, I asked which AC has the most accurate historical information and the answer was they thought it would be ACII, but another may have a different answer. So, I guess it depends, like you said, on how accurate you think ACII is.

They were adamant that in terms of which AC is the most historically accurate that: "It's not ACIV." As I mentioned, because of a story reason. Then, I really don't think ACIV will be like ACIII, in terms of adding every historical event possible.

Yes, I agree with you. Keeping Blackbeard around longer could be part of it.

Well, they do have a figure of him as well, and who's going to buy him if we don't really get to know the character. :p

ladyleonhart
08-01-2013, 11:30 AM
@ Ciremo:

I don't know if you have seen this. If you haven't, this may give you a better idea about the atmosphere:

"True Golden Age of Pirates", published 13 May 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5GEUjtptZ4&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL8za59GW8txSSJ7ZoOe2Q50Q6OtkSPstp

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5GEUjtptZ4&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL8za59GW8txSSJ7ZoOe2Q50Q6OtkSPstp

@ Everyone else: Yes, I know it has been posted in another thread but I'm just trying to help the OP. :)

Jexx21
08-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Sorry if I confused you. Well, I asked which AC has the most accurate historical information and the answer was they thought it would be ACII, but another may have a different answer. So, I guess it depends, like you said, on how accurate you think ACII is.

They were adamant that in terms of which AC is the most historically accurate that: "It's not ACIV." As I mentioned, because of a story reason. Then, I really don't think ACIV will be like ACIII, in terms of adding every historical event possible.

Yes, I agree with you. Keeping Blackbeard around longer could be part of it.

Well, they do have a figure of him as well, and who's going to buy him if we don't really get to know the character. :p

Who did you ask this? Where?

You're saying stuff but not providing a source. I don't trust you without one.

ladyleonhart
08-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Who did you ask this? Where?

You're saying stuff but not providing a source. I don't trust you without one.

Um... I wasn't sure if I was allowed to say. ^^' So, it's fine. You don't have to trust me, lol.

ze_topazio
08-01-2013, 05:09 PM
I doubt real pirates attacked military ships so readily and so easily as Edward seems to do.

AssassinGame1
08-01-2013, 06:45 PM
That would be a great add to the game, more dynamism...