PDA

View Full Version : Future of naval

SAYIWONT1990
07-26-2013, 04:55 AM
It's obvious that ubisoft has invested a lot of time in the naval aspect of their games! My question is how many games in the future can they continue to use naval gameplay? Eventually I would think they would have to move away from it. I hate to see them put so much time in effort into something just to throw it away! In the future I would like to see them do just a stand alone pirate game! That all the work they put into the naval gameplay can be put to good use.

ProletariatPleb
07-26-2013, 05:00 AM
I don't think they'll keep using it.

pirate1802
07-26-2013, 05:03 AM
Well, maybe for the next speculated Connor game, but beyond that? I dunno..

Rugterwyper32
07-26-2013, 05:11 AM
I've mentioned this before and I'll say this again: It expands possibilities and could very well become another navigation system if they keep games by large bodies of water. Say, an Elizabethan Era game that takes you between both England and Ireland and you have naval that includes dealing with the Spanish Armada or something? Or maybe we do get a game set in Feudal Japan, just that not only Feudal Japan and not even starting there, we could see the Japanese invasion of Korea and have a back and forth there.
Honestly, I feel it could become a staple of the series.

Assassin_M
07-26-2013, 05:28 AM
I think they`ll have naval for one more game and that`s it...they can`t realistically make every Assassin after Edward and Connor a captain of a ship.

I`m also pretty sure they put lots of work in Den defense, but that was gone...and so were the Investigations from AC I. the cities they make too...Venice for example had a lot of work put in it....they used it once...

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 05:32 AM
China had a great chinese fleet once.

Pirate get on steam.

pirate1802
07-26-2013, 05:37 AM
Okiez

LoyalACFan
07-26-2013, 06:09 AM
The thing is, keeping the naval gameplay as we know it would restrict them to a much narrower list of possible locations due to the need for cannons. They could still keep the sailing, but it would get boring a lot faster if you could never get into battles with other ships (boarding and melee battles notwithstanding).

Honestly, I'd be totally fine if they decided to move away from naval after AC4. After having a whole game based around sailing ships, I think I'll be done with it and ready to move on by the time AC5 comes along. Though if they did want to keep it for a future Connor game, the Quasi-War would be a perfect framing device for it, no matter whether they decide to send him to France as has been commonly suggested or keep him in America.

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 06:14 AM
Holy..

LoyalACFan, I freaking love you.

Would love for the next game to be a Connor game combining aspects of the Northwest Indian War, the Quasi-War, and the French Revolution.

LoyalACFan
07-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Holy..

LoyalACFan, I freaking love you.

Would love for the next game to be a Connor game combining aspects of the Northwest Indian War, the Quasi-War, and the French Revolution.

Baww :o

But yeah, I'm pretty much convinced the Quasi-War needs to be in Connor's next game. It's just too perfect to pass up, no matter where he is on the globe for most of the action.

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 06:33 AM
That's actually completely true. The Quasi-War, according to Wikipedia, took place in the Atlantic, the Carribean, the Mediterranean, and the Indian Ocean. It's also called the "Pirate Wars." Sounds like an interesting follow-up to the Golden Age of Piracy to me.

I doubt that we would have all of those seas available for actual free-roam though.. I would expect some form of free-roam however. Most likely in the Atlantic. There would probably be Naval missions in the other areas though, except maybe for the Indian Ocean due to the fact that it only lasts two years and it takes forever to get to the Indian Ocean and back.

LoyalACFan
07-26-2013, 06:37 AM
That's actually completely true. The Quasi-War, according to Wikipedia, took place in the Atlantic, the Carribean, the Mediterranean, and the Indian Ocean. It's also called the "Pirate Wars." Sounds like an interesting follow-up to the Golden Age of Piracy to me.

I doubt that we would have all of those seas available for actual free-roam though.. I would expect some form of free-roam however. Most likely in the Atlantic. There would probably be Naval missions in the other areas though, except maybe for the Indian Ocean due to the fact that it only lasts two years and it takes forever to get to the Indian Ocean and back.

I'm not sure if the Atlantic would work well for free-roam though. The Caribbean is cool because there are loads of little islands all over the place, but the Atlantic is mostly just an empty stretch of water. Maybe the naval would have to be restricted to certain missions again...? That would be kind of a downer, but the only way I could see the Atlantic working for free-roam is if there were tons of ships sailing around for you to ambush, but that might feel too arcadey.

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 06:41 AM
I would suggest the Mediterranean then, but I would love to save that for some sort of Greek Assassin game.

Earlier I was thinking maybe we could have a free-roam in the northern Atlantic seas? Up near Newfoundland? Discover some nice viking stuff :P

LoyalACFan
07-26-2013, 06:45 AM
I would suggest the Mediterranean then, but I would love to save that for some sort of Greek Assassin game.

Earlier I was thinking maybe we could have a free-roam in the northern Atlantic seas? Up near Newfoundland? Discover some nice viking stuff :P

That would actually be quite cool... When I said Atlantic earlier, I was only thinking of the stretch directly between France and the US, but the frigid northern Atlantic would be quite a nice counterpoint to the Caribbean's tropical vistas.

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 06:48 AM
As much as I would want Naval free-roam in the next Connor game, I can't imagine it being 40% (or more, depending on the player) of the game like AC4 is. Having a smaller, North Atlantic free-roam area would be cool... literally.

LoyalACFan
07-26-2013, 06:57 AM
As much as I would want Naval free-roam in the next Connor game, I can't imagine it being 40% (or more, depending on the player) of the game like AC4 is. Having a smaller, North Atlantic free-roam area would be cool... literally.

Nah, it would have to be a much smaller part of the game, but still. I'd love to explore a bit around Newfoundland with Connor.

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Although, I wonder how Connor would upgrade the ship.. We already bought a ton of upgrades for it in AC3...

Maybe Connor could install fire-barrels and front chain shot canons :P

Ureh
07-26-2013, 07:40 AM
His Villa will get attacked and he'll lose all the upgrades.

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Har-de-har-har.

But not, it looks like the naval upgrades are a lot larger this time around in Black Flag. They would probably carry some of those over plus some new ones. Obviously not a whole lot, but Connor's ship doesn't have front canons, fire barrels, or mortars, so those are some things that we could upgrade. I don't think we had heavy shot in AC3 either, so we could buy that as an upgrade (we did have that flaming shot stuff... dunno if that's the same as the heavy shot).

It is possible the the Aquila could get stolen though, and that when Connor would get it back the different shot upgrades would be gone and such..

Ureh
07-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Yeah it's called heavy shot in AC3 too.

Edit oops it called heat shot. :p

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Still, I would love some North-Atlantic free-roam. Find the Vikings!

Vikings are like a combination of Pirates and Native Americans as well :P (this is a joke based on stereotypes)

ze_topazio
07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Naval battles in AC3 made limited sense, Connor happened to have a ship so he used it to fight the Templars and help people on the seas, if the game setting is close to the sea they could put naval battles there as a side mission like in AC3.

Rugterwyper32
07-26-2013, 05:32 PM
You know what I'd like to see that'd use Naval well?

A Roman Empire game when the empire is at it's greatest extent, taking you through many cities around the Mediterranean.
People want the Roman Empire? Good. But don't make it just Rome. EXPAND. Man that'd be amazing.

pacmanate
07-26-2013, 05:32 PM
I think one more game with Naval, then go back in time to the 1300's.

I dont want Naval in every game from now on. The more it appears, the less cool it will seem and excitement will lessen. Just like annual AC's. Don't annualise the Naval.

Rugterwyper32
07-26-2013, 05:37 PM

I dont want Naval in every game from now on. The more it appears, the less cool it will seem and excitement will lessen. Just like annual AC's. Don't annualise the Naval.

I can agree with this, admittedly. While I like Naval, I'd like to see it used only when it makes sense. If the series will stay annual, I say keep going all over the place making the settings a lot more dynamic. Keep changing it up so at least it can be unpredictable.

Sushiglutton
07-26-2013, 05:41 PM
It's a good question it must have been a huge investment. Perhaps they could do a spinoff franchise based around naval, because it would feel like a shame to just throw it in the bin.

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Still, I would love some North Atlantic naval free-roam with Connor and the Aquila.

pirate1802
07-26-2013, 07:07 PM

Exactly.

OSantaClownO
07-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Baww :o

But yeah, I'm pretty much convinced the Quasi-War needs to be in Connor's next game. It's just too perfect to pass up, no matter where he is on the globe for most of the action.
It has been said that Ubisoft will not make any Assassin's Creed for the same character twice. Maybe something such as Aveline but no more than that.

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 07:30 PM
they never said that Santa...

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 07:35 PM
More navels in the future of Assassin's Creed?

yes

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Human_navel%2C_female.jpg

lothario-da-be
07-26-2013, 08:15 PM
I hope we don't see naval again anytime soon, expect in a new Connor game, but not as a focus like ac4 then.

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 08:19 PM
dudes, Todd Macfarlane was calling out for an Assassin story in Canda. "Newfoundland Pirate? Nothing like a Newfie Pirate!"