PDA

View Full Version : With or Against: Collecting Pointless Items

RinoTheBouncer
07-25-2013, 02:56 AM
Throughout the AC franchise, we got many side missions that involved collecting tens or hundreds of pointless items and they're usually associated with a trophy or a certain type of unlockables. Eg. AC1: Flags, AC2: Feathers, AC:B: Feathers, AC:R: Animus Data Fragments, ACIII: Almanac Pages and Feathers.

I know those are side-missions and they're rarely compulsory nor give you anything more than a trophy (unless it's the first 30 Animus Fragments of AC:R which unlock Desmond's Journey). So are you with or against adding more of these in future AC games?

I personally prefer collecting things that make sense to the story and not in a frustratingly large number. And no, I'm not just looking for a piece-of-cake kinda game. It's just that I'd rather do many difficult missions that entertain me rather than repetitive and boring ones. For example, the Codex Pages and the Animus Data Fragments weren't too many, yet they were challenging and required searching and they also gave us something so valuable in the end. So I'm with such kind of collectibles but definitely against collecting 100 items that don't even trigger a cutscene.

So what do y'all think?

LoyalACFan
07-25-2013, 03:19 AM
I don't mind collectibles as long as they give you something... And I'm not talking about one lame reward after collecting EVERYTHING. AC2 came the closest to getting it right (one reward at 50 feathers and one at 100 feathers) but not being able to mark them on the map when you got stuck was annoying as hell. I'm optimistic about AC4's blueprints, since it looks like there are a reasonable amount of them to collect to get a reward. Animus fragments are back too, though, and I dunno what they give you. Although Ashraf said every gameplay loop gives you a tangible "thing", so...

Gi1t
07-25-2013, 03:24 AM
As an avid Banjo Kazooie fan, I'd be quite the hypocrite if I said I was against the collection of pointless items. XD XD The journey is the destination after all. :D

SixKeys
07-25-2013, 03:42 AM
I don't mind collectables since I love to explore and I'm a completionist. I do think there should be some reward attached to them, however. ACB had too many collectables and no real rewards (a few capes from AC2). ACR's memoir pages gave you Ishak Pasha's ugly-as-hell armor and the Desmond memory fragments became pointless after the first 10 or so. AC3's collectables unlocked some new outfits for Connor which is a nice reward IMO.

So I'm leaning more towards "with". I don't have a problem with collectables as long as there's something meaningful attached to them.

Assassin_M
07-25-2013, 03:45 AM
If by pointless you mean no end reward, then..I'm against

though, that's not what you mean, so I'm totally for it of course

Ureh
07-25-2013, 04:13 AM
I don't mind collectables since I love to explore and I'm a completionist. I do think there should be some reward attached to them, however. ACB had too many collectables and no real rewards (a few capes from AC2). ACR's memoir pages gave you Ishak Pasha's ugly-as-hell armor and the Desmond memory fragments became pointless after the first 10 or so. AC3's collectables unlocked some new outfits for Connor which is a nice reward IMO.

So I'm leaning more towards "with". I don't have a problem with collectables as long as there's something meaningful attached to them.

I thought the Memoir pages gifted us with one of the best rewards in the game: the interior of the Hagia Sophia. Btw why are data fragments worthless after 10?

----
I like AC2 feathers too. It was a bit tedious to find them without a guide but it felt so worth it after the 100th. Maybe they could make it a bit easier with some kind of distinct sound/music when within a certain distance (they do play a chime but you have to be very close) or some sorta visual thingy like an eagle flying in a special pattern near it.

I like collectibles that offer some sorta challenge to reach them like... "Hmmmmmm.... How do I get up/down there?!"

Jexx21
07-25-2013, 05:06 AM
Worthless after 30 actually.

ladyleonhart
07-25-2013, 05:51 AM
I like collectibles. For me, it's fun and part of the challenge. Also, it gives you the opportunity for exploration or to just wander around and take a break from the main game to enjoy the scenery. Then I don't think they are pointless at all, especially when you are rewarded.

STDlyMcStudpants
07-25-2013, 06:12 AM
i love collectibles, but i would have loved if AC 3 didnt mark items on its maps (in the frontier atleast)..it had one of those worlds where it was fun to explore and i kind of wanted to find those cool hidden caves with top of the hill entrances myself
but at the same time i probably wouldnt have liked that at all haha
it would be cool if they had optional collectibles that unlocked great armor and weapons..and by optional i mean didnt count towards a trophy/achievement or sync
But then again AC is one of those game s where you dont need the best stuff for it to be enjoyable
idk..but i didnt much like my hand being held exploring in the frontier..but in cities absolutely lol

RinoTheBouncer
07-25-2013, 12:30 PM
If we had to have those collectibles, at least let us mark them on the map or something...

If by pointless you mean no end reward, then..I'm against

though, that's not what you mean, so I'm totally for it of course

Actually ,that's what I meant. You just collect those stuff and nothing comes out of them, just collectibles. I'd rather have those like the Codex Pages or the AC:R Animus Data Fragments which did unlock something after all.

pacmanate
07-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Against.

But we shouldnt have a problem. Ashraf said every item in the game has a benefit which is excellent news.

x___Luffy___x
07-25-2013, 01:53 PM
im against , whats the point of collecting pointless items if it does nt have gameplay reward.

but thats not the case in AC:BF so it will be probably great.