PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft wonít rule out a modern-day Assassinís Creed, but fans prefer history

catkiller97
07-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Ubisoft won’t rule out a modern-day Assassin’s Creed, but fans prefer history (http://games.on.net/2013/07/ubisoft-wont-rule-out-a-modern-day-assassins-creed-but-fans-prefer-history/)

Feudal Japan teased again as a possible setting.

At a San Diego Comic-Con panel, Assassin’s Creed series lead writer Darby McDevitt said that there was “always a chance” for a modern-day Assassin’s Creed game.

However, McDevitt continued, “one of the biggest draws of the series is the historical tourism”.

When it comes to the subject of what’s next for the series, McDevitt touched again on one of the leading ideas — feudal Japan.

“I think the Shogunate is in a cool era, but it’s not up to one person,” he said. “Whatever we do, we’ll make it cool.”

pacmanate
07-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Yes, it is.

poptartz20
07-24-2013, 06:22 PM
That's what makes AC, AC!?

You can't take out the history completely and throw it out there. If you want a modern assassin game there are plenty of other options out there such as Hitman, and Ninja Gaiden (That's a ninja Assassin game right? lol)

Jureck0
07-24-2013, 06:28 PM
First time, Japan was bad choice for me but now I want AC in japan.

Gi1t
07-24-2013, 06:34 PM
That's what makes AC, AC!?

You can't take out the history completely and throw it out there. If you want a modern assassin game there are plenty of other options out there such as Hitman, and Ninja Gaiden (That's a ninja Assassin game right? lol)

I agree that when it comes to competing with other games, AC really needs the historical tourism aspect to help define it.

Actually Ninja Gaiden is a stright action game that pits you against just about every different type of enemy you can think of: ninjas, samurai, police-military, dragons, demons*, heavily armored military and military machinery, undead, mutants, bats, exploding bats, and ghost fish. XD

*Demons actually make up a large percentage of the different types of enemies in ninja gaiden.

NondairyGold
07-24-2013, 06:34 PM
I think a cross between the Splinter Cell stealth mechanic's and AC would be pretty awesome.

poptartz20
07-24-2013, 06:38 PM
I agree that when it comes to competing with other games, AC really needs the historical tourism aspect to help define it.

Actually Ninja Gaiden is a stright action game that pits you against just about every different type of enemy you can think of: ninjas, samurai, police-military, dragons, demons*, heavily armored military and military machinery, undead, mutants, bats, exploding bats, and ghost fish. XD

*Demons actually make up a large percentage of the different types of enemies in ninja gaiden.

ahhh... okay! Thank you for the clarification! Then what is the game that is about you being a Ninja Assassin... I know there is a popular one out there I just can't think of it right now. : /

Gi1t
07-24-2013, 08:56 PM
ahhh... okay! Thank you for the clarification! Then what is the game that is about you being a Ninja Assassin... I know there is a popular one out there I just can't think of it right now. : /

Tenchu, I believe. :)

Jexx21
07-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Assassin's Creed also wouldn't be Assassin's Creed if they removed the modern day aspect.

JamJar502
07-24-2013, 09:11 PM
I think a cross between the Splinter Cell stealth mechanic's and AC would be pretty awesome.
Maybe with a bit of Watch Dogs stuff thrown in.

pirate1802
07-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Assassin's Creed also wouldn't be Assassin's Creed if they removed the modern day aspect.

The defining feature of Assassins Creed is its historical part, not the modern part. For example, the novels of AC don't have modern parts, so do you not consider then AC? But yes, I dont want the modem part to be cut out altogether. Ideally, imo, it should be 75-25 split between historical and modern playtime.

ProletariatPleb
07-24-2013, 09:18 PM
That's just what fanboys want. Nobody buys AC games for 40 minute long sections of 'modern day' roaming around in a very small confined spaces.

Jexx21
07-24-2013, 09:21 PM
I buy it for that and the other stuff in the game.

If I didn't like the other stuff I wouldn't buy the game though..

I still like the modern day stuff though.

AdamPearce
07-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Wait, if Darby is the new lead writter of the saga, what happened to Corey May?

A full modern day game would be pretty awesome, but it would have to be the Ultimate game that would end everything, not just like AC3 that was a big joke. If they do that,it could be nice, otherwise, I don't see the point of making it.

Rugterwyper32
07-24-2013, 09:38 PM
I honestly don't ever want to see a fully modern AC game. The historical part is honestly the one reason I got into the series, and though the modern part of the series is interesting, it's just more of a way to drive the plot around than anything and to justify how it all works and to have conspiracy stuff (which I really hope returns for AC4, because it's one great part of the series I do miss and the mason stuff in AC3 was a missed opportunity).

As for Japan, I'd like Japan, but not feudal Japan. I'd like the Heian Period leading up to it, though, that would be fantastic.With the imperial house of Japan not having any real power and the Fujiwara family being the ones who really held power, there's some pretty interesting stuff that could work with the series. Japan was a lot less isolationist at that point, too, so that'd help I'm thinking. Influence of the Chinese culture and Buddhism were at their height at that point. So yeah.

ProletariatPleb
07-24-2013, 09:42 PM
I honestly don't ever want to see a fully modern AC game. The historical part is honestly the one reason I got into the series, and though the modern part of the series is interesting, it's just more of a way to drive the plot around than anything and to justify how it all works and to have conspiracy stuff (which I really hope returns for AC4, because it's one great part of the series I do miss and the mason stuff in AC3 was a missed opportunity).
Precisely, it's just a plot device to go into the historical portion...some people really have their heads in the wrong place when saying "without modern day AC wouldn't be there.....(mostly because we don't know how stories are constructed and don't know what a plot device means.)"

Ureh
07-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Yeah I really how the past ties into the present. The cause and effect of our ancestor's actions, the twcb pulling strings across time, and how the endless struggle between two sides has progressed over the ages.

Ezio, Altair, Desmond... All finding out that their entire lives and efforts were dedicated to something that they can barely percieve.
It's a really nice undertone. So I agree that AC could function without all the animusy stuffs and twcb and all that that, I'm really glad that it is there. The animus/modern stuff sorta acts likes a conduit for us to relate to the past. Love it!

ProletariatPleb
07-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Yeah I really how the past ties into the present. The cause and effect of our ancestor's actions, the twcb pulling strings across time, and how the endless struggle between two sides has progressed over the ages.

Ezio, Altair, Desmond... All finding out that their entire lives and efforts were dedicated to something that they can barely percieve.
It's a really nice undertone. So I agree that AC could function without all the animusy stuffs and twcb and all that that, I'm really glad that it is there. The animus/modern stuff sorta acts likes a conduit for us to relate to the past. Love it!
That it does, but it's not the 'appeal' of the franchise is what I'm trying to say.

Megas_Doux
07-24-2013, 10:26 PM
AC star is the historical setting....
PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lolsin
07-24-2013, 10:43 PM
I'll tell ya. If you make a modern day AC I probably wouldn't play it if it wasn't good.I personally would've preferred a modern day AC with Desmond Miles. But what's done is done.

ze_topazio
07-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Wait, if Darby is the new lead writter of the saga, what happened to Corey May?

He's busy writing the Connor sequel.

I don't think Corey was replaced or anything, it's just that with this yearly released thing going on they need to use more than one writer.

ProletariatPleb
07-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Corey has taken up a new position is what's happened. He is now spearheading "Alice", Ubisoft's wing that basically ensures quality of stories of all Ubi games.

ze_topazio
07-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Didn't knew that.

SixKeys
07-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Corey May recently got a new position at Ubisoft as some kind of trainer/director for other writers. http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/2/7/3960084/alice-ubisoft-storytelling-video-games-corey-may-assassins-creed-far-cry . With that and currently writing Batman: Arkham Origins, it seems he's given up the task of being the overseer of the AC storyline.

Spider_Sith9
07-25-2013, 02:19 AM
While I do want a Japanese AC, this is what aggravates me. They will tell you it will NEVER be a Modern AC/I don't want a Modern AC for the sake of the fact that it has guns and it can instantly kill you. They had to use tricks to complete the Abstergo mission in AC3 (Cross can only shoot behind him in a cutscene but Charles Lee can do it on command) and worse, a major plot point is quickly wrapped up in about 10 minutes game time (the Satellite launch).

RinoTheBouncer
07-25-2013, 02:45 AM
I'm so glad they didn't rule it out. A modern day Assassin's Creed game is a must because we've been moving through history not just for the sake of it but to extract some sort of information, locating artifacts and places..etc. to make changes in serious cases in present day. So why would anybody rule out that possibility? Just like how AC1's era is totally different from AC2 and those were different from AC:R and entirely different from AC3 and people accepted and LOVED all these changes, then a present day game won't really be any different. Perhaps, it can contain brief visits to historical times and the majority of it is in the present.

It would also be great to have a game in the times of the First Civilization. It would give you the high-tech look you'd see in our modern world but also gives you a different perspective because it's a whole high-tech world made by totally different people which is very interesting to see and it is history so why not?

I'd also be very happy about Japanese settings or Chinese ones since we were introduced to a Chinese assassin in Embers who's teachings went on to AC3. So, I guess we already have a starting point and a heroine and she's not the typical badass sexy-girl with revealing clothes that people would say "Ubisoft brought a girl to get more sales" so the introduction of a female assassin in a major AC release on main consoles would be very welcomed and praised.

I'd love to see the Sumerian civilization and Ancient Egypt too. Most conspiracies of the AC universe that are related to TWCB and the POE are linked with Ancient Astronauts theories in real life, so I'm sure that the two civilizations I mentioned would make a great home for more POE ideas especially that there were many mighty leaders, mythical creatures, ground-breaking wars and enslavement of the masses which fit the concept of the artifacts I mentioned.

Ureh
07-25-2013, 04:20 AM
That it does, but it's not the 'appeal' of the franchise is what I'm trying to say.

Me too. :D

STDlyMcStudpants
07-25-2013, 06:26 AM
I think scotland would be pretty cool =x

ze_topazio
07-25-2013, 02:50 PM

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/090/0/b/william_wallace_by_roflsoldier-d4ujga2.jpg

ladyleonhart
07-25-2013, 06:54 PM
An AC focusing 100% on the modern day is completely pointless.

Sigv4rd
07-26-2013, 03:57 AM

This
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/345/0/e/assassins_creed_scottish_brother_by_blues_design-d5nqg3q.jpg
this
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/043/f/6/scottish_assassin_by_tirwa-d39coff.jpg
or even this :p
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-izcqiRelCLI/Tgrrzs31JsI/AAAAAAAAEY0/YKAq6jDPAmE/s1600/scottish.jpg

STDlyMcStudpants
07-26-2013, 04:51 PM
This
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/345/0/e/assassins_creed_scottish_brother_by_blues_design-d5nqg3q.jpg
this
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/043/f/6/scottish_assassin_by_tirwa-d39coff.jpg
or even this :p
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-izcqiRelCLI/Tgrrzs31JsI/AAAAAAAAEY0/YKAq6jDPAmE/s1600/scottish.jpg
haha idc much about what the assassin would look like, but its a beautiful country and their cities definitely remind me of AC 2