PDA

View Full Version : Article: "AC4:BF takes 'second screen' seriously"

SixKeys
07-23-2013, 01:22 AM
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/games/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-takes-second-screen-seriously/

Not a lot of new info, mostly just talking about the companion app. I did find this bit interesting, though:

"Even those who opt to play more stealthy will find new challenges, said Ismail. One example greeting “Black Flag” players is a change in philosophy toward long-range weapons. “You can have a silent weapon,” he said, “but it doesn’t kill a guy.”

An example shown was a sort of poison dart that caused an enemy to go momentarily insane but does not completely remove him from Kenway’s path. “All the range weapons have some type of disadvantage,” Ismail said."

So, no more overpowered crossbows or throwing knives, it seems.

Jexx21
07-23-2013, 01:26 AM
The bow was a silent weapon..

SixKeys
07-23-2013, 01:29 AM
The bow was a silent weapon..

And overpowered, just like the crossbow. TBH I don't mind this change. There's no challenge in just sitting on a perch high above your target and taking guards out one by one from a distance.

Wolfmeister1010
07-23-2013, 03:37 AM
And overpowered, just like the crossbow. TBH I don't mind this change. There's no challenge in just sitting on a perch high above your target and taking guards out one by one from a distance.

How the hell was it overpowered? If anything it was underpowered! It took 2 fully charged shots to take out half of the guard types, and several regular shots. In real life, after getting shot with a single arrow you wouldn't just ignore it until you get hit with two more. You can only use it as a silent weapon for the lower class guards. It is literally impossible to kill the higher class guards stealthily with the bow. It was actually very well evened out, if not underpowered.

monster_rambo
07-23-2013, 05:18 AM
The pistols don't look underpower to me. Four shots on four guards...hmmm...I don't think so.

Ureh
07-23-2013, 03:37 PM
How the hell was it overpowered? If anything it was underpowered! It took 2 fully charged shots to take out half of the guard types, and several regular shots. In real life, after getting shot with a single arrow you wouldn't just ignore it until you get hit with two more. You can only use it as a silent weapon for the lower class guards. It is literally impossible to kill the higher class guards stealthily with the bow. It was actually very well evened out, if not underpowered.

If you fire from a high vantage point then they won't detect you.

pacmanate
07-23-2013, 04:30 PM
What the blog says, is that the blowpipe has lethal and non lethal methods. One type of dart knocks guards out for a short amount of time, then they wake up.

ProletariatPleb
07-23-2013, 04:35 PM
If you fire from a high vantage point then they won't detect you.
And colonial america is the perfect place to have high vantage points when needed :p

Seirously, wtf was the point of the bow...use it and they detect you...

Jexx21
07-23-2013, 07:47 PM
But not if you hide in time.

Sushiglutton
07-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Sounds like a good balance to me. And guns are so loud that all guards are warned of course.

Ureh
07-24-2013, 03:19 PM
And colonial america is the perfect place to have high vantage points when needed :p

Seirously, wtf was the point of the bow...use it and they detect you...

Snow storms help, line of sight (ex: where you shoot/kill one target, but the other targets can't see you right away cause they're rounding a corner, tree or something). Zooms helps a little. But I guess they made the game in such a way that we can't overuse the bow. O.o o.O

SixKeys
07-24-2013, 03:24 PM
I used the bow all the time and nearly always one-shotted every enemy. I didn't bother with the zoom feature. As long as you stayed out of line of sight, other enemies wouldn't detect you. That's why I feel it was overpowered. Even if you used it on enemies that could take more than one hit, the impact of the first arrow would slow them down enough that you had time to draw again.