PDA

View Full Version : Defeating Crixius & Spartacus

Karma_Cop
07-22-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm pretty torn between seeking advice/help with defeating these legends. I find in gaming I like to discover/beat something myself through problem solving/skill rather than quickly taking to the internet and scouring youtube for the easy solution. I get more out of it that way, I'm a more mature gamer (32) and don't play just to beat something and move on but to enjoy the challenge.

That said, it's been over a week of taking hacks at both these legends (my final two to beat obviously) and I'm practically regressing along with losing some favorite glads from my stable. I'm not looking for some link that shows me how to perhaps get lucky and spam them with one combo (if possible to avoid that). But instead just some general advice to help me take my game to another level. What fighting style is best to use? I think I heard Trident for at least one of them...

Here's a quick background on where I'm at. I'm a level 19, but have almost no history with fighting games. I've bought gold 3 times (although used it to build a big stable mostly so not much equiment), all my characters except one are blue level. My best styles are double swords and two-handed hammer. I didn't think I was great, but really have seen myself improve and thought I was pretty decent (online matches I've been quite succesful). So why are these two near impossible?

Silhouelle
07-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I just kept trying Crixus until I got lucky, frankly. For Spartacus though what I would suggest is equipping a dual sword gladiator with as much +attack speed items as you can. I found that even when Spartacus would, frequently, dodge an attack I'd just hit him with the next one really quickly so he was never able to gain the upper hand. I went from getting my *** handed to me and many of my gladiators dying to, on my first try with dual sword equipped for speed, utterly trouncing him. :)

Karma_Cop
07-23-2013, 01:49 PM
I just kept trying Crixus until I got lucky, frankly. For Spartacus though what I would suggest is equipping a dual sword gladiator with as much +attack speed items as you can. I found that even when Spartacus would, frequently, dodge an attack I'd just hit him with the next one really quickly so he was never able to gain the upper hand. I went from getting my *** handed to me and many of my gladiators dying to, on my first try with dual sword equipped for speed, utterly trouncing him. :)

Thanks Silhouelle. I love playing with the dual sword gladiator so that's great news. I hadn't actually tried him because he's the one glad left in my stable from day 1. So I'm a little over protective because he's 8 or 10 gold to retain now and not really worth that. Oh how we grow attached. That said it's been ions since I fell in the arena with him, so it would be an epic battle (one I unfortunately may not take on my first try).

As for Crixus, I had him on the ropes with the dual daggers last night. Halfway down on his last stand. Unfortunately my hand literally cramped up from going at him so hard for 4 minutes (you just can't let him breath). It was half damage from small attacks, then half from the Pankeration attacks that are lethal with a Dual Dagger fighter. I have no idea why my hand cramped up, doesn't in other games. Maybe that's a fighting game thing since I'm an amateur when it comes to those.

I'm hoping I'll soon be able to buy Purple level gladiators for silver, but it isn't obvious at what rank this starts happening let alone whether it ever does? It certainly would help getting that small statistical upgrade from the onset.

X215_AssassinX
07-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Crixus just killed my epic (purple) glad. 1st Fight I did OK against him with my epic dual sword glad. I figured I would kill him in the rematch. Nope he chopped my arm off. Resurrection for 4 gold because I figured he got lucky. Next fight same thing... I got trashed. Not spending 8 gold to res him, I switched to my sword and shield glad. Didn't do too bad but Crixus killed him also. Spent 500 silver to rez him and that's where I said I better go practice more.

I could beat him if only I had Jupiter's C**k!

xXMrShowXx
07-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Before I quit playing, I used a 2hand trident to kill crixus, stack attack speed, spam the quick attack, and it's an easy kill. He has INSANE HP regain, so the key to beating him is to keep damaging his health. Any glad with fast attacks can kill him. I found the trident easiest though. As for spartacus, use the same technique used to defeat the OP Baal. Hammer, charge attack, roll far away from him when he starts attack, charged attack (Square + X on PS3, A + X on xbox) etc etc etc. Spartacus really isn't that hard, he just hits fast, kite him around the area and you'll do fine. Light armor is a must, and don't even try to go head to head, he attacks way too fast.

Karma_Cop
07-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Should update that I beat them both, back to back on the 23rd with the two-handed hammer. There's about 5 moves I use with it (only one is the small parry, which is more a counter, the other are all combinations of the big swing, some defensive some offensive).

The perks I had probably helped a lot too, severe damage in most cases even to those two. They may dodge four of my five attacks, but the one they wouldn't would be the one they'd regret. Now onto round 2, so far not too bad but I haven't bothered trying to win a primus match yet!