PDA

View Full Version : Has your opinion of an AC game changed after replaying it?

ajl992008
07-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Just a topic of discussion I thought would be interesting. Have you played any of the AC games first time and loved it or hated it and after a play through had a change of opinion of it.

heres mine:

AC1: my opinion of the game didn't change to be honest, a great concept but the investigations were a bit repetitive on second playthrough but i still enjoyed the game, only my opinion had not increased or decreased.

AC2: My opinion of ac2 actually went down on second playthrough mainly due to the targets not even being proper templars once i paid proper attention to it, they were selfish and the game was too black and white giving the villians little to no depth which made me like AC2 less.

ACB: my first playthrough of ACB I genuinely thought it was one of the worst games I have ever played, but after replaying it I began to enjoy it a bit due to the side missions being very good and varied (I still hated the main path) so from a 5/10 it went up to like a 7.5/10.

ACR: my opinion changed for the better for acr, even on first playthrough it was my favourite ac game due to the great story (imo), good gameplay additions and an amazing world, but on second playthrough it was the first ac I made an effort to find the collectables in the world, Because the world was so good I had incentive to explore it (although the other games had amazing worlds too, ACR to me was special in this aspect, constantinople and cappadocia were amazing locations).

AC3: My opinion of ac3 didn't change with a second playthrough, its a good game with a terribly executed ending.

write yours below and why, this will be interesting to read and discuss.

Assassin_M
07-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Definitely AC2. I thought it was bad the first time, now I think it's worse.

ajl992008
07-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Definitely AC2. I thought it was bad the first time, now I think it's worse.

lol, though you have made it clear that you hate ac2, so your opinion did not change at all for any of the other games?

misterB2001
07-22-2013, 11:45 AM
I originally bought my ps3 on the back of seeing AC1 trailer, it looked truly next gen. I bought it on the day of release, played it for an hour or two and then, after realising it was in fact boring, put it back in the box, where it was to never be played again.....

That was until AC2 came out, despite my near hatred for the 1st game, AC2 looked stunning and I played and fell in love with it. It was amazing. Having got confused with the whole apple of Eden thing and 'that' ending, I decided to replay AC1 and I'm so glad I did. Yes it's tedious in parts, but I finally understood it, it made sense to me.

Ac1 will never hold a place in my heart like AC2 does, but it deserved a lot more respect than I originally gave it.

ajl992008
07-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I originally bought my ps3 on the back of seeing AC1 trailer, it looked truly next gen. I bought it on the day of release, played it for an hour or two and then, after realising it was in fact boring, put it back in the box, where it was to never be played again.....

That was until AC2 came out, despite my near hatred for the 1st game, AC2 looked stunning and I played and fell in love with it. It was amazing. Having got confused with the whole apple of Eden thing and 'that' ending, I decided to replay AC1 and I'm so glad I did. Yes it's tedious in parts, but I finally understood it, it made sense to me.

Ac1 will never hold a place in my heart like AC2 does, but it deserved a lot more respect than I originally gave it.

I see what you mean, luckily I came across ac1 by chance and didn't really have any expectations of it which is probably why i enjoyed it, thats probably also why I hated acb so much since I liked ac2 a lot at the time and the huge dip in story for me just ruined it (all of this is my opinion of course)

Assassin_M
07-22-2013, 12:01 PM
lol, though you have made it clear that you hate ac2, so your opinion did not change at all for any of the other games?
To be honest, from bad to worse of AC2 came, because I played AC I then straight on to 2. I loved I and hated 2 from the start, but after that back to back play through, I loved1 even more and hated 2 even more

Aphex_Tim
07-22-2013, 12:38 PM
I realized that if you ignore AC2's beautiful atmosphere, it's actually a bloody annoying game!
Some game mechanics don't work properly, missions are restrictive or simply boring, and don't even get me started on the desync-when-spotted thing.
Come to think of it, a lot of things that people condemn AC3 for, AC2 did as well, mainly with mission design. In AC2's case it just seems to be convered up with a charming hero and nice atmosphere.

ajl992008
07-22-2013, 01:03 PM
I realized that if you ignore AC2's beautiful atmosphere, it's actually a bloody annoying game!
Some game mechanics don't work properly, missions are restrictive or simply boring, and don't even get me started on the desync-when-spotted thing.
Come to think of it, a lot of things that people condemn AC3 for, AC2 did as well, mainly with mission design. In AC2's case it just seems to be convered up with a charming hero and nice atmosphere.

But also many of these things we take for granted in other ac games started with ac2 such as the streamlined varied mission structure, economic system, more side missions etc which is what made the flaws less annoying in ac2, once you re used to the mechanics and they are not just "a shiny new feature" it becomes easier to see the faults in games.

ze_topazio
07-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Replayed 1, 2 and 3

1 still has the best story, 2 still is the best overall experience and 3 still is a good idea poorly executed.

STDlyMcStudpants
07-22-2013, 04:57 PM
I look at games in 2 different ways....1 for how good it was for its time and 2 how good it is overall
My first run through of AC 2 I thought it was an alright game, nothing special (Was also the last game in the series I played..I just gone done with AC 3 and ACB before playing it)
The 2nd time i played though, I began to appreciate the little things it did...the lack of 100% Sync which i was so used to from ACR and AC3
The transition through time and events that brought the city to life, like winning the golden mask...they werent the most fun carnival games, but for some reason, that sequence in particular really brought me into the city
I really wish the other games would have sequent specific city transformations like AC 2 with the fire works, the people, the party..all of it was great
playing ACR though, i loved it my first play through...2nd playthrough was a reminder of how challenging and stressful some of the missions actually were and how tough the guards were...

Shahkulu101
07-22-2013, 05:25 PM
AC1- My second replay I found a little better because I tried to appreciate the story and the actual assassination missions which are both great. Still found the investigations repetitive and boring though.

AC2- My opinion doesn't really change when I play it, a solid gameplay experience and wonderful atmosphere sort of make up for the black and white story. Enjoyed the glyph's as well.

ACB- Again, my opinion on this remains stagnant upon replaying it. A downright poor story yet great side missions and the cool addition of recruits make for a relatively enjoyable experience each time.

ACR- I can enjoy it each time. The world and atmosphere are great. The story is exciting and satisfyingly conclusive with Ezio's story. Overly cinematic pieces and lack of side missions make it slightly lacklustre though.

AC3- Each time I replay it the experience is worse unfortunately. At first I loved it--Connor as a character, the beautiful frontier and interesting enemies were all brilliant. The side missions, as you didn't know what was going to happen with them, were exciting. When you replay them you realise that you spend most of the time moving from A-B and not quite doing much in the sense of gameplay. It has the worst replay value imo but since I enjoyed it the first time so much, it may well be my favourite.

Sigv4rd
07-22-2013, 11:58 PM
To be honest, from bad to worse of AC2 came, because I played AC I then straight on to 2. I loved I and hated 2 from the start, but after that back to back play through, I loved1 even more and hated 2 even more

Why do you hate AC2?

Assassin_M
07-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Why do you hate AC2?
Because it removed everything that made AC I so good for me...

SixKeys
07-23-2013, 01:26 AM

Yet you don't hate the subsequent sequels that were based on the same formula as AC2.

Assassin_M
07-23-2013, 01:27 AM
Yet you don't hate the subsequent sequels that were based on the same formula as AC2.
I hate ACB

SixKeys
07-23-2013, 01:38 AM
I hate ACB

As much as AC2?

Assassin_M
07-23-2013, 02:23 AM
As much as AC2?
A little less than AC II. At least it had better side missions instead of the silly husband beating up and message delivering.

SleezeRocker
07-23-2013, 02:36 AM
Replaying the Ac games:

AC1- Repetitive but respectful.
AC2- Still love it more and more (I believe I have replayed AC2 about 30 times and still love it.)
ACB- Occasionally some parts I get bored (walking with Machiavelli in beginning.....earlier romulus laris) but I still like playing it mainly for the Templar Agent and Leonardo side missions. (Probably replayed this game about 18 times)
ACR- Each time I play this game....I kind of stop playing it before getting to Coppadocia, I kind of dislike the game at that point :/ (full replays 4, incomplete replays about 10). I mainly replay because I think this game had nice steady visuals, compared to AC3 (<though 'looks' good, but the frame drops and textures suffer a bit) and I really liked playing with Hook Blade. I like troling on rooftops and flip guards to their falling demise and also troll with High explosive shrapnel bombs ;)
AC3- Honestly....I've only replayed this game once :p

Sigv4rd
07-23-2013, 04:59 AM

Can you be more specific you've attained my interest. *Takes out paper and pencil* please enlighten me.

Assassin_M
07-23-2013, 05:10 AM
Can you be more specific you've attained my interest. *Takes out paper and pencil* please enlighten me.
Open freedom, investigative & strategic planning and ambiguous conflict.

RzaRecta357
07-23-2013, 05:13 AM
AC1 was my fav. Like M I could do without 2. Actually enjoyed Brotherhood and Revelations.

3 however.. Well... I used to be a regular here and now I barely make the time. Didn't like what they did with the modern story and don't like what they've told us about it in the new one. Just here to feel out what people think about Black Flag and the comic right now.

Sigv4rd
07-23-2013, 06:16 AM
Open freedom, investigative & strategic planning and ambiguous conflict.

Fair enough I agree with you on those points :) Anything that you liked or was AC2 just unbearable?

Assassin_M
07-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Fair enough I agree with you on those points :) Anything that you liked or was AC2 just unbearable?
Oh no, I loved the tombs, glyphs, cities and soundtrack. Those were all brilliantly crafted. The glyphs gave a new mysterious outlook on the modern day, tombs were a nice distraction. They were satisfying and had an awesome reward. The cities and soundtrack made a great atmosphere that did not only transport me to the period, but it made sure that the place itself was amazingly beautiful.

Sigv4rd
07-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Oh no, I loved the tombs, glyphs, cities and soundtrack. Those were all brilliantly crafted. The glyphs gave a new mysterious outlook on the modern day, tombs were a nice distraction. They were satisfying and had an awesome reward. The cities and soundtrack made a great atmosphere that did not only transport me to the period, but it made sure that the place itself was amazingly beautiful.

So you didn't hate the game, you were just disappointed that it wasn't up to your expectations but still found some enjoyment from the experience? What would your perfect AC game be/ How would you improve upon AC2?

Assassin_M
07-23-2013, 06:51 AM
So you didn't hate the game, you were just disappointed that it wasn't up to your expectations but still found some enjoyment from the experience? What would your perfect AC game be/ How would you improve upon AC2?I don't hate any AC game. Just like to rile people up :p. I would've left the investigation concept, but made it a lot more varied so as to kill the boredom and repetition factor. Assassinations would have much more options with meaningful advantages and consequences. I would also get rid of the idiotic husband beat up and messenger side quests and replace them with more meaningful activities like saving civilians from harassing guards, stopping crimes... Etc, I'd slap a fancy name to those too. Vigilante missions sounds nice.

Sigv4rd
07-23-2013, 07:12 AM
I don't hate any AC game. Just like to rile people up :p. I would've left the investigation concept, but made it a lot more varied so as to kill the boredom and repetition factor. Assassinations would have much more options with meaningful advantages and consequences. I would also get rid of the idiotic husband beat up and messenger side quests and replace them with more meaningful activities like saving civilians from harassing guards, stopping crimes... Etc, I'd slap a fancy name to those too. Vigilante missions sounds nice.

I think I would play that game :P

captin_qwark7
07-23-2013, 09:10 AM
I think people have differing opinions depending as to when they played the games.

I only just discovered AC a year ago when they had already released up to Revelations and people were getting hyped for ACIII. After playing through ACII I didn't realise how much I'd enjoyed it till it was over. It prompted me to purchase Revelations (my favourite in the series) with the intention of playing the games in order (PS3 version comes with ACI for free). However after playing the second game, the first seemed like such a downgrade. At the time it was released I'm sure the graphics were on par with others but the heavy colour tints tainted an otherwise beautiful environment into a brown blur. The modern story line was very captivating although the modern game sections were incredibly dull. The gameplay was also incredibly repetitive, there was no incentive to collect the infinite flags scattered throughout the bland area, you magically received techniques and guards were after you 24/7. That being said, I would love to see another game set in the Middle East with improved investigation elements but at a next generation standard.

I could see why people would get upset over waiting a year or two for the next game, meanwhile frantically searching for any tidbits of information and thrashing their favourites, only to find that the next game is quite similar to the previous. Because I played the games sequentially and without delay, it allowed me to appreciate the entire Ezio trilogy as they were meant to.

Revelations particularly appeals to me mainly because of the lush, colourful and just downright fun to traverse environment. Yes it had its flaws like any other game but the Desmond sequences and tower defense were completely optional and no more enjoyable than the modern sections in AC1.

I'm very hyped for Black Flag and can't wait to try the new elements, especially the Mayan temples and exploration. Already it has improved drastically from ACIII story wise and in setting although I would like there to be puzzles and riddles for treasure hunting.

Samur80
07-23-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm thinking about replaying the series from the start (as I haven't done this yet), and maybe blogging about it. If my opinions have changed of each game, how well they tie into the main story etc. No idea of anyone would read such a thing, but it would be fun to do :D

pacmanate
07-23-2013, 01:30 PM
I thought AC3 was bad. Then I replayed it and couldnt even get past baby connor...

Samur80
07-23-2013, 01:55 PM
I think AC's 1 and 3 are going to be interesting to reply. I haven't played 1 since it came out, so I'm looking forward to giving it another go. 3 Will be interesting to see if my opinion of it changes any.

RinoTheBouncer
07-23-2013, 01:57 PM
AC1 Played it once and hated it and left it, then came back, replayed it and loved it despite it's repetitive nature.
AC2 Loved it from the first play through.
AC:B Loved it as well.
AC:R The best. I loved it more when I played it. The trailers were great and the game was greater.
ACIII Loved it more as a game than in the trailers. Except for the badly directed ending.

ForsakenMessiah
07-23-2013, 02:00 PM
AC1 - Since i was a child i have loved the stories of the crusades, its my favourite period in history and have described to friends of my perfect game, set during that time and wanting it to be a truly open world game, climbing buildings and running across rooftops, playing the part of the hashashin, investigating your target and getting intel to find the best location and time to execute. So when this game was announced i was slightly paranoid and at one time was convinced either a game developer had been spying on me, or a friend or family member had sent in the idea. Obviously i loved the game, loved the diversity of locations and how the 3 cities have their own "flavour", the kingdom is HUGE, or at least felt huge. Replaying did not change my opinion at all, still my favourite AC game.

AC2 - liked the fact it had more of a fleshed out story, and included real people of the time, educated you on some history without feeling like a lecture. liked the fact it had a wider selection of locations, all places i have been to in real life and the introduction of side missions, especially the assassin tombs. Replaying changed my opinion quite a bit, story didnt feel like an assassin type game, instead was all about Ezio's personal vendetta and didnt really make much sense to me. Fighting became too easy and felt like you were being hand held, missions were a bit repetative.

AC:B - Rome, my favourite place in the world. TBH first time playing through this i knew it would be a rehash of AC2 so my expectations wasn't that high, story was another personal vendetta, only thing i enjoyed was upgrading the city, as the villa was my favolurite part in AC2. multiplayer was nice to see, and was very well executed. Replaying it, I payed attention the the story more and loved it, even though it was pretty much the same as AC2, it was better structured, could relate to the characters better. even though it only included 1 location, its massive, and as i said before, favourite place in the world, IMHO second favourite AC game.

AC:R - I was extremely disappointed with this, only thing i have good to say was that its Ezio's outfits are the best looking out of all the games, hookblade was an ok addition, was nice to get about quicker. Bombmaking was pointless and only used them when i needed to. Replaying my opinion didnt change at all, even after playing it twice i struggle to remember the story, it was that badly written and structured however i did like the flashbacks revealing more of Altair's story. DLC was disgusting, i honestly think its worse than the infamous horse armour. worst AC game by far.

AC3 - FINALLY, no more Ezio. story was good.... not great but good, would of been a nice twist towards the beginning if ubisoft hadn't already ruined it before release. more variety on side missions was welcomed and loved the homestead and Aquila stuff. frontier was huge and felt like the kingdom from the original game, cities were again ok, not much variety imo. Fighting had been greatly improved, and felt like the combat used by Batman arkham asylum that fans had been asking for. Didnt see the point in having viewpoints, they revealed sweet f*%$ all, a change i did NOT like. Has the best DLC, which is more of an expansion, but added too many fantasy elements (i abused the eagle flight way too much). Replaying again didnt really change my mind, if anything i connected more with Haytham than connor, and i find him the best enemy in any game for a long time. tied with AC2 in order of best to worst.

AC4 - I mentioned at the start of my idea of the perfect game when i was a child, well something else i have always wanted (being a Bristol native) growing up around my cities history and culture is a "proper" pirate game. No pirate game has included the seamless island hopping of "The Legend of Zelda: Wind waker" with a controllable character who takes control of a ship. Every game that has called themselves a pirate game has always switched from controlling the person, to controlling the ship, never controlling the person operating a ship (makes sense in my head), and this will be the first game i will find worthy of calling themselves a pirate game. in case you cant tell, this is the first game in a very long time that i am actually excited about, just hope it lives up to the hype.

Ureh
07-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Recently I replayed all of them except AC1. ACR was the only one that nearly made me swoon and stop my heart. I was so enraptured by the city, I didn't leave Galata for the first 4 hours. One of the few AC games where I prefer to walk.

MRKenway123
07-24-2013, 01:17 PM
how can you call yourself an AC expert if you hated AC2, one of the beste games ever, not only grapical for that time but also the story, the gameplay..

Assassin_M
07-24-2013, 01:26 PM
how can you call yourself an AC expert if you hated AC2, one of the beste games ever, not only grapical for that time but also the story, the gameplay..
well, when I got my AC expertise degree, it didn't have "must like AC II" as a requirement...problem??

and the Graphics were crap in AC II...it was the worst in the series

no, it`s not one of the best games ever for me, sorry

ajl992008
07-24-2013, 02:52 PM
well, when I got my AC expertise degree, it didn't have "must like AC II" as a requirement...problem??

and the Graphics were crap in AC II...it was the worst in the series

no, it`s not one of the best games ever for me, sorry

This genuinely made me laugh haha

its been interesting to read everyones opinions in this matter though have to say