PDA

View Full Version : North America, Would you buy a full-fledged Special Edition AC if it were available?

CarthageBP
07-20-2013, 09:07 AM
The AC:IV Special Editions have been announced (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/761092-Ubisoft®-Assassin’s-Creed®-IV-Black-Flag-Editions?p=8995289&viewfull=1#post8995289) for all regions now, and once again North America has been given the short end of the stick. It's been suggested (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/761092-Ubisoft®-Assassin’s-Creed®-IV-Black-Flag-Editions?p=9166098&viewfull=1#post9166098) that poor SE sales are the reason UBI keeps doing this, and that the only reason we still get SE at all is that people here keep demanding them. Someone (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/761092-Ubisoft®-Assassin’s-Creed®-IV-Black-Flag-Editions?p=9167607&viewfull=1#post9167607) suggested that we poll the forum to see who in North America, and outside the EMEA, would actually buy a Special Edition with all the same loot in it that an EMEA Special Edition gets.

Chocoburger
07-20-2013, 09:28 AM
If the Black Chest Edition were sold in America/Canada, yes I'd buy it. But my limit would be $140 USD, so $10 more than the "Limited Edition" we currently have offered to us (which is a huge rip-off).

Ureh
07-20-2013, 11:53 PM
I would buy it if they weren't releasing countless merchandise every year. Maybe if it were more affordable?

SixKeys
07-21-2013, 12:07 AM
How is NA getting the short end of the stick? Honest question here. I just don't see how the European edition is supposedly so superior. Americans are still getting a statue of Edward, soundtrack, collector's box, an art book and other stuff I'm probably forgetting. What exactly is so different from other editions?

Ureh
07-21-2013, 12:16 AM
There're a few discrepancies. The base of the statues are different. The Black Chest is probably made from material similar to Codex Edition (or maybe even wood? :P). And there're a few extras for BCE, like canvas lithos, postcards, extra dlc (iirc).

SixKeys
07-21-2013, 12:28 AM
There're a few discrepancies. The base of the statues are different. The Black Chest is probably made from material similar to Codex Edition (or maybe even wood? :P). And there're a few extras for BCE, like canvas lithos, postcards, extra dlc (iirc).

DLC I can understand (though that'll be released later for everyone anyway), but postcards? Really? Lithos are often bad quality. I doubt the Black Chest is made of wood, probably just plastic made to look like wood. As for the base of the statue being different, is that really such a big deal? It's not like it's a whole different statue.

ryan8374
07-21-2013, 01:56 AM
How is NA getting the short end of the stick? Honest question here. I just don't see how the European edition is supposedly so superior. Americans are still getting a statue of Edward, soundtrack, collector's box, an art book and other stuff I'm probably forgetting. What exactly is so different from other editions?

Check this post (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/761092-Ubisoft®-Assassin’s-Creed®-IV-Black-Flag-Editions?p=9163698&viewfull=1#post9163698) for an example of the differences.

I would buy a special edition if available, but not this limited edition. At $70 over the cost of the game itself, it's just not worth it.

SixKeys
07-21-2013, 02:47 AM
Check this post (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/761092-Ubisoft®-Assassin’s-Creed®-IV-Black-Flag-Editions?p=9163698&viewfull=1#post9163698) for an example of the differences.

I would buy a special edition if available, but not this limited edition. At $70 over the cost of the game itself, it's just not worth it.

I still think it's absolutely ridiculous to complain so much about a few postcards and lithographs. Makes the fandom look like a bunch of whiny brats. North Americans get better special editions on 90% of all other games, so excuse me if I find it hard to take people seriously when they compare Ubisoft's marketing policies to abusive relationships. FFS.

Chocoburger
07-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Perhaps its time for you to stop whining? Just a thought. Either way, I won't be taking you seriously when factual evidence has been presented to you, yet you shrug it off.

Biomedical-Fire
07-22-2013, 02:16 AM
If the Black Chest Edition was available for preorder here in NA, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat without any hesitation. I don't see why Ubi can't be fair to everyone no matter the region in which they live. If I could, I'd be on the phone with Yves in trying to persuade him to give us the Black Chest and an equivalent CE to the Buccaneer Edition.

SixKeys
07-22-2013, 02:26 AM
Perhaps its time for you to stop whining? Just a thought. Either way, I won't be taking you seriously when factual evidence has been presented to you, yet you shrug it off.

Again, you are comparing a video game deal to an abusive relationship. You're being excluded from getting a freaking map and some canvas prints and you think that's totally the same as getting beaten by your spouse? Are you 5?

AC2_alex
07-22-2013, 04:05 AM
I've never been into collector's editions... for anything.

SleezeRocker
07-22-2013, 04:20 AM
If it was the Black Chest edition, possibly I would pay within 120-140$. But knowing it ain't never gonna happen I'll just buy the regular game along with Batman. Also may pick up N52 Nightwing vol 3 at the time lol

Biomedical-Fire
07-22-2013, 02:55 PM
If Ubi wants to make 3 or 4 different editions, that is completely fine, but they should still offer them to all regions. However, they could either make the top edition limited to say 5,000 available worldwide and offer them on the Uplay store or they could tell retailers that they have a week to sell pre-orders on them then pull it. With the others, they could offer them up until a couple of months before launch and make them the same for all regions. The thing is, Ubi has many different options available to them to make CE's the same for all regions, it's just that they choose not to and continually offer better editions for the EMEA while alienating the NA and other markets.

Ureh
07-22-2013, 03:15 PM
@Biomedical-Fire 5000 units isn't enough for worldwide release. They make tens of thousands of each edition for the EMEA alone and they usually are sold out.

DLC I can understand (though that'll be released later for everyone anyway), but postcards? Really? Lithos are often bad quality. I doubt the Black Chest is made of wood, probably just plastic made to look like wood. As for the base of the statue being different, is that really such a big deal? It's not like it's a whole different statue.

Some fans are just completionists, they're very meticulous because Ubisoft CEs are meticulously different. Wouldn't most customers prefer to have many choices available to them instead of one? I kinda understand because I've been in the same shoes, but it's never been much of a problem for me since I just import anything I can afford. It does seem trivial to many others.

Biomedical-Fire
07-22-2013, 05:44 PM
It's just plain stupid to offer one region not only more CE's, but make them better than other regions. People like choices and it's not fair that us in NA have only 2 choices while the EMEA has 4. When Ubi decided to make 4 for Europe, they knew that people in other regions would be highly upset, but this really doesn't seem to bother anyone at Ubi.

SixKeys
07-22-2013, 06:21 PM
It's just plain stupid to offer one region not only more CE's, but make them better than other regions. People like choices and it's not fair that us in NA have only 2 choices while the EMEA has 4. When Ubi decided to make 4 for Europe, they knew that people in other regions would be highly upset, but this really doesn't seem to bother anyone at Ubi.

Why should it? When it comes to American games, Europeans are usually the ones who get shafted. We rarely even get special editions. Ubisoft is a French company so for once Europe is getting something special, and immediately Americans are crying how it's sooooo unfair.

SteelCity999
07-22-2013, 06:43 PM
The only things that bother me this time about the editions are that the flags are totally different and there is abo****ely no in-game content for the NA LE. The flag difference is really just inexcuseable - it's a pirate flag, why are you giving the NA LE a perfect looking flag? As for the in-game content, I guess we have the NA retailers to blame for this. As long as Ubi can make money off retailer exclusives and then sell it for DLC too then they will continue to do so. They are doing the same thing with Watchdogs. The Dedsec edition is quite full of content whereas the LE for NA gets no content other than retailer exclusives. I could care less about the lithos and canvas prints. As someone else pointed out, they are probably not of good quality. I think they could have designed a better figurine of Edward for every edition - he looks like a poledancer. AC3 probably had the best looking figurine they have put out for AC.

CarthageBP
07-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Why should it? When it comes to American games, Europeans are usually the ones who get shafted. We rarely even get special editions. Ubisoft is a French company so for once Europe is getting something special, and immediately Americans are crying how it's sooooo unfair.

This argument has been made several times in defense of the EMEA special editions. Far be it from me to say that anyone making this claim is making it falsely, but I have yet to be shown any evidence of it.

I would also like to add, and reiterate, as I've said it before, that it isn't fair for anyone who is a fan, regardless of where they live, to be put in this position. If you want to support a game series, you should be given equal opportunities to do so, anywhere in the world.

Ureh
07-23-2013, 12:30 AM
The only things that bother me this time about the editions are that the flags are totally different and there is abo****ely no in-game content for the NA LE. The flag difference is really just inexcuseable - it's a pirate flag, why are you giving the NA LE a perfect looking flag? As for the in-game content, I guess we have the NA retailers to blame for this. As long as Ubi can make money off retailer exclusives and then sell it for DLC too then they will continue to do so. They are doing the same thing with Watchdogs. The Dedsec edition is quite full of content whereas the LE for NA gets no content other than retailer exclusives. I could care less about the lithos and canvas prints. As someone else pointed out, they are probably not of good quality. I think they could have designed a better figurine of Edward for every edition - he looks like a poledancer. AC3 probably had the best looking figurine they have put out for AC.

You can always tatter the flag yourself if you're not willing to buy the Black Chest flag from elsewhere. I believe stores like UbiWorkshop and thinkgeek (and many others) will also be selling flags.

SixKeys
07-23-2013, 12:31 AM
I would also like to add, and reiterate, as I've said it before, that it isn't fair for anyone who is a fan, regardless of where they live, to be put in this position. If you want to support a game series, you should be given equal opportunities to do so, anywhere in the world.

Bull****. You're acting like Ubisoft or any other company owes you a special edition. It costs time and money to put something like this together, especially when it's not guaranteed the company will end up making a good enough profit from it. Clearly Ubi have their reasons to keep pumping out - in your opinion - superior CEs for the European market but not the NA market year after year. It's likely that the costs of making the CEs vs. the profit they make is simply better in the EMEA area. You can cry it's not fair just because you're not getting everything you think you deserve, but Ubi doesn't owe you anything.

CarthageBP
07-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Bull****. You're acting like Ubisoft or any other company owes you a special edition. It costs time and money to put something like this together, especially when it's not guaranteed the company will end up making a good enough profit from it. Clearly Ubi have their reasons to keep pumping out - in your opinion - superior CEs for the European market but not the NA market year after year. It's likely that the costs of making the CEs vs. the profit they make is simply better in the EMEA area. You can cry it's not fair just because you're not getting everything you think you deserve, but Ubi doesn't owe you anything.

I don't think Ubisoft owes me anything. However, it's worth pointing out that any company's success is dependent on the profitability of the product(s) or service(s) they provide. When an entire segment of the market feels they are being underserved, regardless of the opinions of other market segments, it leads to lower sales, lower revenues, and lower profits.

You make a valid point that the cost of manufacturing an equivalent CE in North America might be higher, however as with many things, the retail price could be balanced out to account for that.

In addition, a veiled attack on me without providing the evidence I've politely asked for is not helping me believe your claims that Europe has been "shafted" by North American game companies as often as you claim.

SixKeys
07-23-2013, 01:16 AM
In addition, a veiled attack on me without providing the evidence I've politely asked for is not helping me believe your claims that Europe has been "shafted" by North American game companies as often as you claim.

Here's a pretty good comparison for the NA and European versions of Tomb Raider (http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/tomb-raider/179288-tomb-raider-collectors-edition-revealed.html) and The Last of Us (http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29343292/the-last-of-us-editions-revealed-for-eu-and-na) for a start. The NA-specific Post-Pandemic edition for TLoU comes with an exclusive statue of Joel and Ellie and the European Collector's Edition for Tomb Raider is missing some stuff from the NA Collector's Edition. American Journey (http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/journey-collectors-edition-wont-make-the-trip-to-europe.452551629/) fans got a collector's edition whereas Europeans did not. The Walking Dead (http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42120) got a limited US-only special edition, the retail version of the game wasn't even released in Europe.

CarthageBP
07-23-2013, 01:38 AM
Here's a pretty good comparison for the NA and European versions of Tomb Raider (http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/tomb-raider/179288-tomb-raider-collectors-edition-revealed.html) and The Last of Us (http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29343292/the-last-of-us-editions-revealed-for-eu-and-na) for a start. The NA-specific Post-Pandemic edition for TLoU comes with an exclusive statue of Joel and Ellie and the European Collector's Edition for Tomb Raider is missing some stuff from the NA Collector's Edition. American Journey (http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/journey-collectors-edition-wont-make-the-trip-to-europe.452551629/) fans got a collector's edition whereas Europeans did not. The Walking Dead (http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42120) got a limited US-only special edition, the retail version of the game wasn't even released in Europe.

I certainly can't argue Journey.

I'm not sure what you mean with Tomb Raider. Based on that thread it actually looks like there were more European options available. The Last of Us offers, in my opinion, better options to the European market: The canvas wrap is more evocative of the game environment than the steelbook case offered in the North American CE, though I can understand why you would feel the statue should have been included.

As for Walking Dead, the only thing I can say is that Telltale Games is a smaller company. It was probably a poor decision not to market in Europe. But from a short-term business outlook, I can see why a smaller company might have made that choice.

ButtoningGenie
10-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Honestly I'm gonna be pissed if I don't ever get my hands on the two pre order packs I obviously can't get since I only need one copy of the game. Im already shelling out the north american special edition and the season pass. Thats a hundred and fifty some dollars. Im a die hard fan so I'll spend the money but come on ubisoft throw a bone. I can't pre order three different versions of this bad boy just to get all the bonus islands or whatever. If anyone from ubisoft is listening I love you guys but please don't leave me out of any of the fun, put the pre order packs in the season pass. Its not like im gonna un-pre-order the special edition I already got amazon saving for me.

OR BETTER YET SELL ME THE BLACK CHEST VERSION! I'll gladly give you my money ubisoft I want that sweet sweet bonus stuff

roostersrule2
10-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Yes they would.