PDA

View Full Version : Edward's allegiance [May contain SPOILERS]

ForsakenMessiah
07-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Being a Bristol lad born and bred, we know a thing or 2 about piracy... our history is basically that and slavery, and I am actually indirectly named after Blackbeard whos birthplace is here (naming the firstborn Edward is kind of a family tradition that is about 300 years old, family legend is that a member of his crew named his child in honour of his old captain after their defeat, family tree supports this story)

Just for those who dont know during that time period we were England's main naval port, and one of the main smuggling routes. Our history inspired Robert louis stevenson to create Treasure island, which was written in a pub call "Hole in the Wall" which still exists today.

Anyway back to my point, Edward kenway is meant to be a pirate assassin... or is he? Many people associate the jolly roger with piracy and actually think of it as mythical, only existing in stories. However, the jolly roger did indeed exist with a history about 600 years before the golden age of piracy as it was the colours of the templar naval fleet. Since there is no indication of Edward being in an assassin brotherhood and we know his son Haytham was a Templar, what if the pirates are the templars? Canon says that Haytham was converted into a templar by Reginald birch after Edward's death, who was an "employee" and canon implies he was an actual friend of Edward. Is it possible we might finally be taking full control of a rogue assassin?

Flame away.

Spider_Sith9
07-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Kinda shows that isn't the case from what we've heard if it's true. Edward seems to be out for himself as well.

Assassin_M
07-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Judging by how Edward was training Haytham from 8 to be an Assassin, I don`t think he went rogue...

Mr_Shade
07-19-2013, 01:02 PM
ooooh secrets and spoilers ahoy!

Assassin_M
07-19-2013, 01:05 PM
ooooh secrets and spoilers ahoy!
you`re the mod....title and all.....

If you please :P

ladyleonhart
07-19-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say, but... I think it's safe to say Edward becomes a pirate, and then he is trained by the Assassins. However, it is suggested that the Templars are interested in him too, but just like Spider_Sith9 said Edward has his own ambitions.

As for pirates being Templars, some pirates could be Templars. At least, one Templar used to be a pirate before he tried to supress piracy. Most likely, he became a Templar after he stopped being a pirate. However, I don't think being a Templar depends on your occupation, but on your ideals. The Templars could induct pirates into the Order if they saw some potential in them, just like the Assassins recruit Edward.

ForsakenMessiah
07-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Kinda shows that isn't the case from what we've heard if it's true. Edward seems to be out for himself as well.

Kinda my point, being out for one's self does'nt really fall under the assassin philosophy

Judging by how Edward was training Haytham from 8 to be an Assassin, I don`t think he went rogue...

Who's to say he was training him to be an assassin, what if it was more of training him in the assassin ways and Edward was actually a Templar spy or maybe he's not affiliated with anyone and is literally a rogue and a threat to both sides. IMHO i think Haytham was the most dangerous villain in all of the games just because having the same talents made him that much more of a threat.

I'm starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist now O.o

Assassin_M
07-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Who's to say he was training him to be an assassin?
Forsaken

Spider_Sith9
07-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Kinda my point, being out for one's self does'nt really fall under the assassin philosophy

Who's to say he was training him to be an assassin, what if it was more of training him in the assassin ways and Edward was actually a Templar spy or maybe he's not affiliated with anyone and is literally a rogue and a threat to both sides. IMHO i think Haytham was the most dangerous villain in all of the games just because having the same talents made him that much more of a threat.

I'm starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist now O.o

Nor does the Templar philosophy.

Also, Haytham is the post fierce also because of motives. He was HEAVILY on that grey scale and while he had good intentions, he was EXTREMELY brutal to the point of killing unarmed soldiers.

ForsakenMessiah
07-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Forsaken

aah, not read the books.... kinda makes me look an idiot now...

Assassin_M
07-19-2013, 01:39 PM
aah, not read the books.... kinda makes me look an idiot now...
I`m sorry xD

No, no..you don`t look like an Idiot :D

Hans684
07-19-2013, 01:47 PM
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Edward_Kenway

ForsakenMessiah
07-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Nor does the Templar philosophy..

Really? I think it fits it perfectly, they have never been about world freedom, always suppresion and controlling and self gain, putting themselves in charge of the puppet strings.

I`m sorry xD

No, no..you don`t look like an Idiot :D

my own fault really, have been told they are a good read, but they always seem a bit fan fictiony to me, which i have never been a fan of in any setting.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Edward_Kenway

I have seen that, but obviously it misses a huge part of his story which this game will fill, cant have official spoilers for future releases.