PDA

View Full Version : Good Things About ACIV and Why it's the New and Improved ACII

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Please ignore the ACII reference as it may have been taken out of context. Then please see below, thanks:

Like others, I think we need a thread to talk about what we believe will be "good" about ACIV. Yes, it's early days, but positivity isn't a bad thing.

IMPORTANT: Ignore the article title and I think what Ubi has said has been taken out of contest
[You can blame the Official PlayStation Magazine for that. Unfortunately, I can't change the thread title now either ^^]

Then I thought this article would provide a good basis for that: 'Assassin’s Creed 4′s return to AC 2′s gameplay “an intention from the beginning” say Ubi'

I think most people agree that ACII is, generally, pretty close to what everyone wants. If it isn't, of course that doesn't matter and hopefully there's something you like about ACIV and are looking forward to.

Well, here's a summary of the article:

Edit: Perhaps I should have added this part:

'All of this immediately suggests one thing to the hardcore Creed player: a return to the open-ended assassinations of games past. A staple of series highpoint AC 2, and formerly the defining feature of the franchise, these have fallen by the wayside in recent years – but this is all being addressed in Black Flag. “That’s been an intention from the beginning,” Ismail tells us. “This was something that was really strong in the original and second games, and we’ve worked very hard to bring this concept back."' [Hopefully that makes more sense now :)]

What Ashraf Ismail has to say...

Stealth Mechanics:

"So we’ve really simplified how you get detected, how you escape detection, how you sneak up on a guard – all this stuff has been really simplified and made much more intuitive." ...

"Not only that, but now you’ll actually be able to tell from a distance how best to approach the game’s various enemies. “The enemy archetypes are much more iconic,” explains Ismail.

Stealth and Gunners:

“For example, our gunners – they’re really deadly. So these are characters that you pretty much want to sneak up on. You don’t want to run towards them, because they’re deadly – and they’re always on high ground so they have an advantage over you. You really have to use stealth if you want to take them out.”

Choose your own play-style:

"So our mission structure now is much more open – we’re really focused on giving the player a simple objective and having that player execute that objective in their own way. So again, we do things like show you your target. We say, ‘This is your target. This is who you have to kill – now go and kill him.’ You could go guns blazing if you want, you can sneak in, and you can even cause distractions and try to go in with other means. So, yes, we are working to have much more open-ended mission structure.” News that’ll have plenty of hearts soaring like a glorious post-synchronisation swandive."

Mayan Ruins about navigation puzzles:

“We have Mayan ruins in a certain part of the world, which are really about navigation puzzles, so: ‘I’m at point A, I need to get to point B’, and the fun is: ‘How do I get there using Edward’s abilities?’

Jungles are about Stealth:

"We have the jungles, which are really about stealth. They’re very dangerous – there are predators, there are new enemy types that are lethal, so it’s really about being stealthy."

Hurley, Leon (2013) "Assassin’s Creed 4′s return to AC 2′s gameplay “an intention from the beginning” say Ubi", Official PlayStation Magazine, published on 12 July 2013.
Source: http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/07/12/assassins-creed-4s-return-to-ac-2s-gameplay-an-intention-from-the-beginning-say-ubi/

So, what do you like about ACIV that you've seen so far, and what are you most looking forward to? :)

Jexx21
07-18-2013, 07:31 PM
AC2 gameplay? Don't they mean that they are more strongly emphasizing the basics of Assassin's Creed?

whatever

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 07:36 PM
AC2 gameplay? Don't they mean that they are more strongly emphasizing the basics of Assassin's Creed?

whatever

Not my words, but I can understand what you mean. Hmm... Then maybe they're not really sure... or it'll be a mix of both...? LOL ... We are trying to focus on the "good" things, though, remember? :)

Jexx21
07-18-2013, 07:49 PM
No no, I agree with what they're doing. It's just I don't like how they say they're going back to AC1 or AC2. Say that for the mission design, for sure, but the game over all is not going back to AC1 or AC2, it's staying with the general mechanics of AC3 with refinements.

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 08:29 PM
No no, I agree with what they're doing. It's just I don't like how they say they're going back to AC1 or AC2. Say that for the mission design, for sure, but the game over all is not going back to AC1 or AC2, it's staying with the general mechanics of AC3 with refinements.

Oh. Okay :) and I think maybe the article had a bad title too. Then what Ubi said has been taken out of context. Umm... maybe I should've added this paragraph:

'All of this immediately suggests one thing to the hardcore Creed player: a return to the open-ended assassinations of games past. A staple of series highpoint AC 2, and formerly the defining feature of the franchise, these have fallen by the wayside in recent years – but this is all being addressed in Black Flag. “That’s been an intention from the beginning,” Ismail tells us. “This was something that was really strong in the original and second games, and we’ve worked very hard to bring this concept back."'

Does that put it back in context...? [I've added it to the original post anyway]

dxsxhxcx
07-18-2013, 09:28 PM
all of this are good news but I would like to see one of these missions they claim we'll have freedom to do whatever we want (and without edit it, just show us a complete assassination mission), and I agree with Jexx, open ended assassinations were one thing that made AC1/2 great games, IMO there are other things that should be revised as well like combat, assassination contracts (don't you dare to put them in the game the way they were in AC3, Ubisoft), meaningful side missions, etc... but this is good news I think, but I'll remain skeptical until I SEE what they're promising in action...

Jexx21
07-18-2013, 10:07 PM
AC3's combat is the best in the series, and also has some of the best side missions in the series.. unfortunately it also has some of the worst side missions in the series. It's side missions are like a combination of Brotherhood's (good) and AC2's (bad, but with some being good).

Spider_Sith9
07-18-2013, 10:18 PM
No Investigations?

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 10:55 PM
No Investigations?

What are you referring to...?

Ureh
07-18-2013, 11:29 PM
What are you referring to...?

The preparations that Altair did in the first game. Eavesdropping, pickpocket, beat-up, reporting your findings, seeking permission to eliminate the target, etc.

salman147
07-19-2013, 01:53 AM
The preparations that Altair did in the first game. Eavesdropping, pickpocket, beat-up, reporting your findings, seeking permission to eliminate the target, etc.

I hope those are optional.Like we can investigate how we want.To get more info on target in our own way.That'll make the game interesting.

ladyleonhart
07-19-2013, 10:54 AM
I hope those are optional.Like we can investigate how we want.To get more info on target in our own way.That'll make the game interesting.

I think you will be in luck. :) It seems that way in the article on UbiBlog, 19 July 2013:

Lewis, Anne (2013) 'Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag – Exploring Havana and the Companion App', UbiBlog, published 19 July 2013.
Available at: http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-havana-companion-app/

This extract details an assassination contract:

'We admire Havana a bit before approaching a familiar pigeon cage. Edward has an assassination contract to fulfill. In typical Assassin style we take to the rooftops to make our way toward our objective.

It’s at this point in our demo that we’re reminded we can no longer call on other Assassins for help; no more eager recruits leaping out of the bushes to do our bidding. Edward’s recruits are his crew and it doesn’t make sense for them to follow him everywhere. They stay with the ship and Edward is on his own for the assassination.

We track the target of the assassination to a small courtyard and use Eagle Vision to pick him out of the crowd. He’s got a few guards around him, so we decide to take the easier path: rather than hopping down onto the ground to take them on, Edward will just blow them all up. He waits for the group to approach an explosive barrel and fires at it with his pistol. The bodies go flying and the contract is complete.'

Then at least, it does suggest you can pursue your targets however you want :D

salman147
07-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Strange.AC BF feels like AC2.
1)The protagonist Edward is like Ezio. Charismatic and brash.
2)No assassin recruits.
3)Havanna feels like Venice.
4)Assassinations are like in AC2:Open and free.
5)Upgrades and armors are returning like in AC2.

ladyleonhart
07-19-2013, 03:43 PM
2)No assassin recruits.

I thought lots of people liked ACII :confused:

Assassin_M
07-19-2013, 03:49 PM
2)No assassin recruits.
4) Assassinations are like in AC2:Open and free.
5) Upgrades and armors are returning like in AC2.
1) I don`t think Edward`s an Idiot, though...he seems smart
2) But there`s a crew recruiter
3) Yeah...all 10 seconds of Havana feel like Venice
4) that`s AC I, not II
5) Every game had upgrades. there`s no armor in AC IV

Jexx21
07-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Actually, they've never really said that Edward is charismatic, they just said that he was reckless and brash. From what we have seen, Edward actually seems fairly stoic.Edward's personality seems to be a combo of Connor's and Ezio's but with added recklessness.

Sushiglutton
07-19-2013, 05:40 PM
2)No assassin recruits.

1) Not really. Edward feels tougher, not as funny/easy going as Ezio. More of a bad-boy. Ezio = Roger Moore, Edward = Daniel Craig.
2) Finally! I want to complete the missions myself, not tap a button and have the game do it for me. The meta-game was tedious. But to compensate we have a crew for the ship which makes much more sense as you can't pilot a ship on your own.
3) Based on how many seconds of gameplay?
4) Awesome!
5) We still don't know in what ways they will affect gameplay.

luckyto
07-20-2013, 02:43 AM
I think you will be in luck. :) It seems that way in the article on UbiBlog, 19 July 2013:

Lewis, Anne (2013) 'Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag – Exploring Havana and the Companion App', UbiBlog, published 19 July 2013.
Available at: http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-havana-companion-app/

This extract details an assassination contract:

'We admire Havana a bit before approaching a familiar pigeon cage. Edward has an assassination contract to fulfill. In typical Assassin style we take to the rooftops to make our way toward our objective.

It’s at this point in our demo that we’re reminded we can no longer call on other Assassins for help; no more eager recruits leaping out of the bushes to do our bidding. Edward’s recruits are his crew and it doesn’t make sense for them to follow him everywhere. They stay with the ship and Edward is on his own for the assassination.

We track the target of the assassination to a small courtyard and use Eagle Vision to pick him out of the crowd. He’s got a few guards around him, so we decide to take the easier path: rather than hopping down onto the ground to take them on, Edward will just blow them all up. He waits for the group to approach an explosive barrel and fires at it with his pistol. The bodies go flying and the contract is complete.'

Then at least, it does suggest you can pursue your targets however you want :D

That's awesome!

Here's a few things:
- three very different cities will give us some variety in our environments (hasn't happened since AC2)
- naval combat and piloting the ship was perhaps the funnest thing in AC3, and now we can go wherever we want
- ac3 combat will (hopefully) will return and be refined more

Forts are open-ended and they return. Approaching treasure chests is open-ended. And assassination contracts are open. Brilliant.

ladyleonhart
07-20-2013, 07:28 AM
That's awesome!

Here's a few things:
- three very different cities will give us some variety in our environments (hasn't happened since AC2)
- naval combat and piloting the ship was perhaps the funnest thing in AC3, and now we can go wherever we want
- ac3 combat will (hopefully) will return and be refined more

Forts are open-ended and they return. Approaching treasure chests is open-ended. And assassination contracts are open. Brilliant.

Agreed, and you've made some great points! xD It makes such a nice change to see someone else who is actually positive about ACIV!! :D