PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed IV hunting and crafting system

Wolfmeister1010
07-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Hey guys I just realized something.

I have found it kinda strange that ubisoft is always saying how "harpooning and hunting helps to upgrade Edward". Those two rhings seem very unrelated. They have also said that the crafting system is similar to far cry 3's in some parts.

I have just put two and two together and realized that it is probable that you use the skins and pelts you find in the game to create outfit and armor pieces for Edward that upgrade his aesthetics and number of weapons to carry and ammunition pouches, just like FC3. Maybe that is why they are showing no holsters. Maybe you begin with barely visible straps for the waist, and then have the option to gain visually pleasing holsters by crafting from the skins you get from harpooning and hunting.

This system would really help to make hunting more relevant, and improve the crafting system as well.

I mean, it was kinda there in AC3, where you had to craft the second holster, but that was basically it.

Well, what do you guys think?is it possible?

LoyalACFan
07-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Crafting outfits, maybe, but not holsters. That's not something that would be an unlockable. That would be like saying "your robes don't have cloth physics, but if you craft an upgrade, they flutter in the breeze!" Holsters are either gonna be there, or they're not.

TheDanteEX
07-17-2013, 11:50 PM
I don't think you would be able to carry four guns without holsters. I think there will be holsters because crafting something that doesn't show up is silly. The thing is with the demos, it is clearly an early game Edward, however they auto-upgraded him to carry four flintlocks to show off the four-gun image. So everything on Edward seems to be him early in the game though with all four guns already equipped; and possibly the blowpipe, which he may or may not start out the game with.

Edit: Just saw the reply above and I agree that seems more likely than crafting holsters.

LoyalACFan
07-17-2013, 11:51 PM
I don't think you would be able to carry four guns without holsters. I think there will be holsters because crafting something that doesn't show up is silly. The thing is with the demos, it is clearly an early game Edward, however they auto-upgraded him to carry four flintlocks to show off the four-gun image. So everything on Edward seems to be him early in the game though with all four guns already equipped; and possibly the blowpipe, which he may or may not start out the game with.

He would at least start out with ONE pistol though. And he has ZERO holsters.

TheDanteEX
07-17-2013, 11:57 PM

Yikes, that's true. It may be safe to say there won't be any holsters. If not, there may be a programming/animation reason. Unless the developers really don't feel like it, which would not be a valid excuse for them.

ctuagent15
07-18-2013, 12:11 AM
You had to craft holsters in AC3 to be able to carry two guns, so they could do it for AC4, if the game has holsters that is, the devs have said you only have one pistol at the start of game, so that means you'll need to unlock more guns or if there are holsters in the game, craft more holsters to be able to carry more guns

LoyalACFan
07-18-2013, 12:55 AM
You had to craft holsters in AC3 to be able to carry two guns, so they could do it for AC4, if the game has holsters that is, the devs have said you only have one pistol at the start of game, so that means you'll need to unlock more guns or if there are holsters in the game, craft more holsters to be able to carry more guns

I'm talking about the physical holsters on Edward's character model. He has four guns, but they're just stuck to him, it looks terrible. Nothing is holding them on.

Jexx21
07-18-2013, 12:59 AM
Actually, Edward may not start out with a pistol.

The only reason Connor started out with a pistol when he became an Assassin was probably because Haytham had one and people were used to having a pistol.

For all we know, Edward might have to buy or loot one- he was a bartender at first after all.

ctuagent15
07-18-2013, 01:23 AM
I'm talking about the physical holsters on Edward's character model. He has four guns, but they're just stuck to him, it looks terrible. Nothing is holding them on.
Yeah I know, I'm just hoping that they were not able to have the holsters on his character model for the demos and trailers we've seen so far for some reason, but as you say it's not looking good so far, the thing is on some of the promo images he does have them and others he doesn't so we just don't know yet, but it wont stop me getting the game if he doesn't have any

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 01:25 AM

Honestly, I didn't know what the holsters argument was really about before. Then I thought maybe you weren't happy with the straps for Edward's guns like in the CG pictures and wanted more realistic holsters. :confused: Sorry... and I read your post on the thread you started and when I saw a gameplay picture of Edward I realised what you meant. o_0; I really wish I hadn't noticed that though :( Anyway, maybe it is too late, but I hope that will be resolved too. I don't see why it can't be like the CG images [sigh...] who knows. ^^ If it doesn't happen, I guess we'll have to pretend he has magnets or something... :p

Wolfmeister1010
07-18-2013, 01:48 AM
It seems like ubisoft is purposefully ignoring the hundreds of petitions and threads regarding it.

Ubisoft might be thinking that once we play the game we will love it so much we won't care about holsters. They would be wrong. Also, even if the holsters don't feature in the launch game, there is still hope. Remember how there was a petition to put connor's good back up after completion? The same thing could happen here.

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 01:54 AM
It seems like ubisoft is purposefully ignoring the hundreds of petitions and threads regarding it.

Ubisoft might be thinking that once we play the game we will love it so much we won't care about holsters. They would be wrong. Also, even if the holsters don't feature in the launch game, there is still hope. Remember how there was a petition to put connor's good back up after completion? The same thing could happen here.

Thanks :) That makes me feel better about it at least. The little details are really so important after all, especially when Edward's the main character and he will be with us for a long while.

Jexx21
07-18-2013, 01:55 AM
Actually, most people probably won't care about the holsters. And when you say Ubisoft I can't tell if your talking about the development team or the executives.

And Connor's good back up? Are you saying that they gave him a *****?

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 02:16 AM
I have just put two and two together and realized that it is probable that you use the skins and pelts you find in the game to create outfit and armor pieces for Edward that upgrade his aesthetics and number of weapons to carry and ammunition pouches...

As for your question about the hunting and crafting system, I would love to customise Edward in terms of his outfit and that's a really cool idea! xD

Wolfmeister1010
07-18-2013, 02:22 AM
Actually, most people probably won't care about the holsters. And when you say Ubisoft I can't tell if your talking about the development team or the executives.

And Connor's good back up? Are you saying that they gave him a *****?

1. I'm pretty sure most people care. I see complaints everywhere.
2. Dev
3. WTF?

Jexx21
07-18-2013, 02:25 AM
Psh, the devs would want to put holsters on. Why? same reason we do.

And trust me, the general audience probably won't notice it, and when they do, they'll just be like "Lol the weapons are just sittin' there"

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 02:34 AM

And trust me, the general audience probably won't notice it, and when they do, they'll just be like "Lol the weapons are just sittin' there"

It won't be funny, it will be annoying :nonchalance:

Wolfmeister1010
07-18-2013, 02:37 AM
It won't be funny, it will be annoying :nonchalance:

Ash seems like a cool dude, and he seems to be listening to the fans. I refuse to believe that holsters won't be in the game. They are just planning something regarding it.

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 02:40 AM
Ash seems like a cool dude, and he seems to be listening to the fans. I refuse to believe that holsters won't be in the game. They are just planning something regarding it.

I do agree with you about Ash :) Besides, I don't think they try to disappoint fans on purpose. If you don't want to like something, you will find something to dislike about it. As for the holsters, it just seems odd that they would miss that. Then you are probably right! xD

Wolfmeister1010
07-18-2013, 02:43 AM
I do agree with you about Ash :) Besides, I don't think they try to disappoint fans on purpose. If you don't want to like something, you will find something to dislike about it. As for the holsters, it just seems odd that they would miss that. Then you are probably right! xD

I guess we will just have to wait until the next q and a to find out for sure....unless they show holsters at the havana gameplay in two days

Megas_Doux
07-18-2013, 02:54 AM

They ignored the way bigger, in regards of posts, thread about the ambient music.......

Wolfmeister1010
07-18-2013, 03:16 AM
They ignored the way bigger, in regards of posts, thread about the ambient music.......

That is different though. If ubisoft wanted to create ambient music because of a edition AFTER the release, they would have to have balfe compose several tracks, which takes months, and then program them into the cities and frontier.

For holsters, it is a very small aesthetic change that takes very little processing power and would take a very short time to program. It is basically like asking for another clothes dye to be added to ac3. It is just a small aesthetic issue. It is small, but very important.

LoyalACFan
07-18-2013, 04:04 AM

I usually don't talk negatively about "casuals" because it makes me feel like an elitist *****, but I will in this instance.

Most players won't care about holsters because most games don't have holsters either. Nathan Drake's rifle just magically sits on his back, and in COD your guns just come out of friggin nowhere. But AC is one of the most immersive game series on the market, and such an obvious visual distraction should be beneath it. Still, hordes of "casuals" will descend upon the game and not care about it, because they're used to crap like that from other games. But it clearly bothers a large percentage (perhaps a large majority) of the dedicated fans, judging by the responses on this forum, and it really bums me out to think that the immersion factor will be lessened by something so stupid and obvious.

Jexx21
07-18-2013, 04:05 AM
Lorne Balfe composed ambient music tracks.

If they didn't design the holsters yet, it would take a lot more work than you think for the holsters.

Jexx21
07-18-2013, 04:08 AM
I usually don't talk negatively about "casuals" because it makes me feel like an elitist *****, but I will in this instance.

Most players won't care about holsters because most games don't have holsters either. Nathan Drake's rifle just magically sits on his back, and in COD your guns just come out of friggin nowhere. But AC is one of the most immersive game series on the market, and such an obvious visual distraction should be beneath it. Still, hordes of "casuals" will descend upon the game and not care about it, because they're used to crap like that from other games. But it clearly bothers a large percentage (perhaps a large majority) of the dedicated fans, judging by the responses on this forum, and it really bums me out to think that the immersion factor will be lessened by something so stupid and obvious.

Connor's tomahawk didn't slide into anything on Connor's robes either. Connor did even have a frog for his sword/blunt/heavy weapon (which he probably never actually equipped anyway).

But he did have holsters for his pistol. Which was good.

Frankly, I don't care that much if the pistols on Edward's chest don't have holsters, but I do care a lot more about the waist pistols.

ctuagent15
07-18-2013, 04:29 AM
Edward does have holsters Ash just tweeted me back, you have to craft them
heres a link to his twitter https://twitter.com/AshrafAIsmail

Ureh
07-18-2013, 04:32 AM
I like holsters, but hopefully the sheaths are optional. Don't want to keep those puppies locked up. Let em' shine in the glorious sun! :O :D

Jexx21
07-18-2013, 04:38 AM
We need a tomahawk sheath for Connor in his second game. :P

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Edward does have holsters Ash just tweeted me back, you have to craft them
heres a link to his twitter https://twitter.com/AshrafAIsmail

Thank you! xD That's made me really happy! :D Oh... but we are talking about the ones on his chest, right?

Assassin_M
07-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Even if the majority of this forum wants holsters, that`s just the majority of hardcore AC fans....which probably only reaches about 15%-20% of the entire fanbase...

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Even if the majority of this forum wants holsters, that`s just the majority of hardcore AC fans....which probably only reaches about 15%-20% of the entire fanbase...

I have seen people argue about this on other forums though :p

Assassin_M
07-18-2013, 10:02 AM
I have seen people argue about this on other forums though :p
about what? Holsters? arguing about those is like arguing on ambient music....you either WANT IT or you DON`T CARE..you can`t NOT WANT ambient music, because you can turn it off. you can`t NOT WANT holsters, because it looks better immersion and art wise...would you say no to better??

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 10:19 AM
about what? Holsters? arguing about those is like arguing on ambient music....you either WANT IT or you DON`T CARE..you can`t NOT WANT ambient music, because you can turn it off. you can`t NOT WANT holsters, because it looks better immersion and art wise...would you say no to better??

Of course I wouldn't say no to better... but actually what is 'better' depends on what the individual thinks is better. Then, what one person thinks is better, doesn't mean that everyone else will think it is better too. We all have our different ideas :)

Assassin_M
07-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Of course I wouldn't say no to better... but actually what is 'better' depends on what the individual thinks is better. Then, what one person thinks is better, doesn't mean that everyone else will think it is better too. We all have our different ideas :)
Well, yeah sure..that applies to music, humor..etc, but is it really subjective which is better between "levitating gun on waist and chest" and "holsters that hold the guns realistically"?

I can`t see how someone can say "Levitating guns on chest and waist looks better in my opinion" :|

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Well, yeah sure..that applies to music, humor..etc, but is it really subjective which is better between "levitating gun on waist and chest" and "holsters that hold the guns realistically"?

I can`t see how someone can say "Levitating guns on chest and waist looks better in my opinion" :|

It depends on the game. It can work in Sci-Fi. :p

Assassin_M
07-18-2013, 10:34 AM
It depends on the game. It can work in Sci-Fi. :p
but AC isn't Sci-Fi D:

Well....not entirely Sci-Fi

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 10:45 AM
but AC isn't Sci-Fi D:

Well....not entirely Sci-Fi

Heehee... glad we could work that out ^_~ ... Also, I do want holsters for Edward.

x___Luffy___x
07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
in AC3 we could only craft the second holster in the seq 9 , i feel it was very late in the game that we could get the second gun.

but in black flag they say that the whole world will be open to explore after about 4 hours ( i think ). and if the crafting holsters is linked with the hunting , then before doing any missions i am hunting whatever it is we have to hunt to get those holsters :D

for me having holsters is very important, it just does nt feel right without it. maybe some might disagree with me here...

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 11:47 AM
in AC3 we could only craft the second holster in the seq 9 , i feel it was very late in the game that we could get the second gun.

but in black flag they say that the whole world will be open to explore after about 4 hours ( i think ). and if the crafting holsters is linked with the hunting , then before doing any missions i am hunting whatever it is we have to hunt to get those holsters :D

for me having holsters is very important, it just does nt feel right without it. maybe some might disagree with me here...

I agree with you! xD As for ACIII, I thought the holster was too late as well. ^^' Also, that's a great plan for ACIV, which I also intend to follow. :D Btw... will Edward be equipped with guns from the start? Then, regarding holsters, it would make better sense if you only get a gun when you actually have a holster for it. :) For holster fans, of course!

pacmanate
07-18-2013, 11:49 AM
If thats the case, they better explain where Edward gets super glue from

x___Luffy___x
07-18-2013, 12:03 PM
I agree with you! xD As for ACIII, I thought the holster was too late as well. ^^' Also, that's a great plan for ACIV, which I also intend to follow. :D Btw... will Edward be equipped with guns from the start? Then, regarding holsters, it would make better sense if you only get a gun when you actually have a holster for it. :) For holster fans, of course!

i think they said in an interview that edward will start with 2 guns and he will get more as we upgrade it...

i agree it makes sense to get a gun when we have a holster for it , it was the case in AC3 and a logical one.
but they have already shown guns for edward without any holsters , so dont know how it ll be this time around. maybe it ll be optional to get holsters :confused:

well either way im surely gonna get them if we can craft them :D

Jexx21
07-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Actually, they never said he started with a certain amount of guns, just that we don't start with four.

x___Luffy___x
07-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Actually, they never said he started with a certain amount of guns, just that we don't start with four.

umm... yeah they said you start with 1 pistol and you need to upgrade edward to carry 4.

edit : here s the video. see at 5:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmbffZp_8Lg

Jexx21
07-18-2013, 12:24 PM
well make up your mind is it 1 or 2 pistols that he starts with because you said both.

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
umm... yeah they said you start with 1 pistol and you need to upgrade edward to carry 4.

Thank you for the information! :) Then even if we don't have the first holster to begin with, I guess we can overlook that and then craft like crazy. :D

pacmanate
07-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Thank you for the information! :) Then even if we don't have the first holster to begin with, I guess we can overlook that and then craft like crazy. :D

The crafting system better have a redesign this time round. I also dont want to get my last holster near the end of the game :|

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 12:34 PM
The crafting system better have a redesign this time round. I also dont want to get my last holster near the end of the game :|

I totally agree with you about the last holster! xD What would you redesign about the crafting system, if you could?

x___Luffy___x
07-18-2013, 12:35 PM
well make up your mind is it 1 or 2 pistols that he starts with because you said both.

you saw Ashraf said that you start with 1.

well i was nt sure before but i knew that i heard somewhere that they specified the amount of pistols you carry at start , so i found the video and posted it
and they did specify the amount of pistols you carry , so you were nt right either so chill dude.

x___Luffy___x
07-18-2013, 12:42 PM

you re welcome :)

i think the crafting will be like in Far Cry 3 since they have Far Cry3 team working with the AC:BF team and crafting in Far Cry 3 was pretty good.

dxsxhxcx
07-18-2013, 12:53 PM
and here was I thinking I wouldn't need to worry about crafting or hunting (small animals, hunt whales at least seem to be a fun activity) anymore (IMO both are boring features for an AC game).. :(

TheDanteEX
07-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Crafting is fun when there's a tangible reward. And in this case there is.