PDA

View Full Version : Brewster's instruments & how to achieve real top speed?

AndyHigh
02-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Finns equipped brewsters with metric instruments, but I'm not really sure how
they are in this game. Altitude meter doesn't seem to show either meters or feets
but something else. Can somebody enlighten me with this issue?

Another question is about top speed:
I've read finnish test data that Brewster should achieve about 440 km/h at 1000m and about 480 km/h at 4000m, with fuel tanks full and arms loaded.

In FB 1.22 I'm able to reach only 400-410 km/h with 120% mixture, prop pitch 95% and radiator closed (100% fuel). How do you get that high max.speed if its possible in this game? With I-16 type 24 I can get around 420 km/h while it should be slower than the finnish Brewster according to the charts.

AndyHigh
02-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Finns equipped brewsters with metric instruments, but I'm not really sure how
they are in this game. Altitude meter doesn't seem to show either meters or feets
but something else. Can somebody enlighten me with this issue?

Another question is about top speed:
I've read finnish test data that Brewster should achieve about 440 km/h at 1000m and about 480 km/h at 4000m, with fuel tanks full and arms loaded.

In FB 1.22 I'm able to reach only 400-410 km/h with 120% mixture, prop pitch 95% and radiator closed (100% fuel). How do you get that high max.speed if its possible in this game? With I-16 type 24 I can get around 420 km/h while it should be slower than the finnish Brewster according to the charts.

WWMaxGunz
02-07-2004, 04:27 PM
You need to lean the miture with altitude depending on your supercharger. Less air so use less fuel. The engine don't run so well half flooded, it's like going down the highway with the choke half shut.

Neal

WUAF_Badsight
02-07-2004, 05:39 PM
for top speed tests use auto pitch

i.e. dont change it when you spawn

reduce mix the higher you go

at 4000m , 80% mix will be fine but higher you want to drop to 60%

AndyHigh
02-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Yes, I use supercharger above 2800 m, I've tried lover mixtures at higher alt and adjusting prop.pitch. Speedbar value don't seem to be greater than at sealevel, is it IAS or TAS (couldn't find that in manual)?.

Sea level top speed should be 430 km/h, how do I get that speed because I can get only 400 km/h? Is there a special trick for thishttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif?

Ugly_Kid
02-08-2004, 04:54 AM
Speedbar is in IAS (metric units), however at 1000 m it makes little difference. The cockpit instrumentation is AFAIK altimeter in feet and ASI in knots (naval fighter you see). Yes, this is unhistorical for Finnish Brewster but hardly important, gunsight is also wrong, they had their own copy of Revi.

If you want to test something the best way is to use no-cockpit view where the dial shows TAS and metric units. Also highest speed comes with 100% pitch setting, at 1000 m still probably 120% mix (higher up you have to use leaner mix).

masamainio
02-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Little OT, but it would be nice to have some factor of random performance drop from aircraft to aircraft within the same type. In RL not all planes were brand new or exactly same in performance. This would simulate variances between individual planes and make you adapt to flying newer or worn out machines.

AndyHigh
02-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Ok, no cockpit mode gives more accurate results, thanks for the tip. I did some new
tests with brewster and I-16 here's what
I got. Alt. 100m, full power, 120% mix, 100% prop.pitch:
B-239: 410 km/h rad.open, 420-425 km/h rad.closed
I-16 18: 407 km/h, 415 km/h
1-16 24: 425 km/h, 439 km/h (!)

Website data says I-16 max speed is around 410 km/h at sealevel for both types so my results for I-16 24 seems quite high if the website numbers are to be believed. I never got the promised speed with the Brewster. It would great if relative performance for these planes would be correct as they were opponents at the beginning of the war.

It's sad that the cockpit isn't exactly the real thing but I can live with it as I normally use speed bar. Real gunsight would be nice tough. Also the compass works only when aligned with the ground, I wonder how it was on the real finnish version?

[This message was edited by AndyHigh on Sun February 08 2004 at 12:28 PM.]

DGC763
02-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Why would you use anything but 100% prop pitch? To do otherwise when trying to achieve max speeds is in a word STUPID!

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never be in peril." (III.31) Sun Tzu

WUAF_Badsight
02-08-2004, 10:16 PM
if you are trying to compare top speeds then AUTO as it is when you spawn should be used

this setting is what should be used to find it top speed in-game in relation to its RL top speed

i use different prop settings for playing FB but for speed testing in relation to RL top speeds , AUTO should be used

AndyHigh
02-09-2004, 02:08 AM
I don't think brewster or i-16 has auto prop. pitch ability when CEM is on, am I wrong? I also used 100% prop pitch on the second test.

What matter's most is relative performance between the planes which I should historically correct of course.

WUAF_Badsight
02-09-2004, 03:06 AM
AUTO is the spawn default

it switches to manuel when you fiddle with manuel controls

ZG77_Lignite
02-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Technically, I believe Andyhigh is correct, the Brewster does not have an 'auto' setting.

However! I believe the Brewster uses a Constant Speed Prop (just like most other aircraft in the game), therefor it is NOT necessary to 'fiddle with the prop pitch'. 100% should (and does I believe) give the most horsepower. Remember, a constant speed prop adjusts it's own pitch, you (the pilot) just tell the engine how fast to run.

The word 'prop pitch' you see on the screen is a cosmetic catch-all, in an aircraft with a constant speed prop (P47, La5, Yak1) all you can/need do is set the desired engine RPM, the prop does the rest by maintaining that RPM at its highest possible efficiency.

VW-IceFire
02-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Fiddling with the prop pitch in the Brewster and other similar aircraft is generally there to help increase fuel economy (it controls RPM's I believe). Its a minor thing to most people no doubt http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!

AndyHigh
02-09-2004, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZG77_Lignite:
However! I believe the Brewster uses a Constant Speed Prop (just like most other aircraft in the game), therefor it is NOT necessary to 'fiddle with the prop pitch'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This clarifies many things, thanks.

I have to add that with similar settings I found it quite easy to get real life top speed and even above with I-16 but very difficult if impossible with the Brewster. If the aircraft data for I-16 type 24 on il2sturmovik.com is correct it went quite much faster. Sure it has 100 more hp in its engine but 20mm cannons in its wings.

Fillmore
02-09-2004, 11:13 AM
If I remember correctly the I16 which is called type24 ingame was IRL called type27 or type28. There have been a couple threads about this in the past since original Il2. So the numbers you get on the web will likely be for the plane that in game is called type18 (or even earlier versions).