PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers are just the worst.

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Hey, guys. First time posting here, but I figured it'd be a good place to vent a bit of anger and possibly seek advice. See, ever since my friend randomly gave me AC2, I've been pretty hooked on the series. I've even got an Ezio cosplay as well as an AC:B door poster. However, I'm also generally pretty low income, and therefore it takes me a very long time to save up for a game. Consequently, I've yet to pick up Revelations or 3 as of yet. I got pretty behind in the series and the games I'm missing sorta got put on the backburner so I could get other games as well as replace my 360. Still yet, I'd planned on catching up eventually.

But because of something that happened yesterday, I just don't see a point in it anymore. See, I'd recently met a friend-of-a-friend on Facebook who was also a big fan of AC. She posted a status saying she wished she had enough money to pre-order Black Flag. I simply responded that I was behind in the series due to not being able to get Revelations or 3 yet. Now, I wasn't really paying close attention to Facebook because I was trying to fix an error on my Steam account, but basically she responded by spoiling the entire story. I won't specify exactly what she spoiled unless one of y'all asks me because I'm sure there's got to be someone else in a similar boat as me.

I know this is kind of a dumb thing to get upset over, but I am royally pissed. I haven't been this steaming mad since I lost my job. I was looking forward to playing those games, but that specific spoiler completely ruined the immersive experience for me. I don't understand what sort of sick pleasure people get in doing stuff like that. This whole experience just makes me sick every time I think about it. I don't follow very many game series anymore, and I feel as though now, other than Black Flag, I'm forced to cross this one off the list too.

So, what do you guys think? Should I buy the games anyway? What should I do about this situation? Should I just wait til AC4? Again, I know this sounds kinda dumb, but I do play games largely for the story, so one could imagine how frustrated I am. Get back to me.

Assassin_M
07-17-2013, 08:11 AM
That depends on the spoiler, mate. No one can really give you solid advice unless we know what your friend spoiled for you. Heck she may be screwing with you.

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 08:24 AM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd423/mebenate/ACruined_zpsc91c1a43.png

^ There ya goes. Don't click it if you've not finished AC3.

Aphex_Tim
07-17-2013, 08:32 AM
I'd still recommend playing ACR and AC3. They're both great games. Spoilers do really suck, however, seeing that this is a spoiler about Desmond, you could still play the games to see how the story lead to this event and how and why it happened. Next to that, there's still Ezio's closure story in AC:R and an all-new Assassin's story in AC3, which imo are both worth your while!

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 08:33 AM
That's sort of what I was thinking, actually.

It just aggravates me because that's one of the main things I was wondering about and excited to know about. Sigh.

Assassin_M
07-17-2013, 08:46 AM

Hmm...well, that's just one side to the whole story. To be totally honest it's a **** move, I'm sorry that was just uncalled for, but listen... There're more stories in AC. You'll still greatly enjoy revelations and III. If you've been following ezio since the start then you might as well finish his story, you'll love it

finally that spoiler is just a piece of an over arching plot, you'll enjoy the rest of the games, trust me.

LoyalACFan
07-17-2013, 08:50 AM
That spoiler doesn't even matter, although your buddy is a complete arsehole for saying that. Trust me, the modern story hit its peak in Brotherhood. Not many people were sad to see Desmond's story end in AC3. ACR and AC3 are still worth your time.

poptartz20
07-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Agreed. They are still both worth your time considering the time invested in the game at this point! I enjoyed well... one more so than the other but none the less PLAY THEM! There is still much left to see and figure out! :) and at least you have all of AC4 as well!

Sorry about that. Your friend is a ******.

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Y'all are slowly but surely getting my hopes up.

I'm half-tempted to beat Black Flag before she does and spoil everything for her. Lol

Assassin_M
07-17-2013, 09:18 AM

I'm half-tempted to beat Black Flag before she does and spoil everything for her. Lol
Nah, just forget her. Just think about all the things you'll see in III and R. Constantinople is gorgeous, Ezio, Altair, hook blade, bombs, new assassin, hunting, naval combat..... And an awesome set of characters you don't want to miss

poptartz20
07-17-2013, 09:42 AM

Haha.. well, if you don't want to take the logical/reasonable and let bygones be bygones, alls well the ends well route that M is talking about. PSHT. DO IT. LOL.

Then again you're not like that I'm sure. RIGHT? ;D *nudge nudge*

Geez revenge sometimes is just so sweet and tempting.

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Yeah, that's just kinda how I am naturally. I feel the need to make that person suffer the same way I did; I need closure. Sort of like Ezio in AC2.

Assassin_M
07-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Yeah, that's just kinda how I am naturally. I feel the need to make that person suffer the same way I did; I need closure. Sort of like Ezio in AC2.
You're so badass, guuuurrrl.

No,but seriously, I wouldn't want to spoil anything for you. Still, though be careful around here :|

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Lmao.

I totally feel you there. I'm surprised I went this long without accidentally running into some spoiler. Thought for sure BioShock Infinite was gonna get spoiled for me, but thankfully it only took me a month after its release to save up for it.

Assassin_M
07-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Lmao.

I totally feel you there. I'm surprised I went this long without accidentally running into some spoiler. Thought for sure BioShock Infinite was gonna get spoiled for me, but thankfully it only took me a month after its release to save up for it.
I always avoid the net when I want a game unspoiled, because I know that a copy of the game WILL be leaked and there will be jerks who like to spoil things for people, so yeah...safer that way..just need to find the will and SOMETHING to do other than the internet for a while :|

Getting a game later can be pretty frustrating, though...especially if you socialize with a community of gamers.....in real life

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 10:47 AM
I know, right?! And it always catches me off-guard. This is the only time any major story element in a game has been spoiled for me besides MW3 a few years ago(yeah, I'm one of those weird people that plays the MW series for the story). My friend didn't even mean to do it, he was just trolling some other guy that wouldn't shut up about it when I happened to be around.

Assassin_M
07-17-2013, 10:57 AM
I know, right?! And it always catches me off-guard. This is the only time any major story element in a game has been spoiled for me besides MW3 a few years ago(yeah, I'm one of those weird people that plays the MW series for the story). My friend didn't even mean to do it, he was just trolling some other guy that wouldn't shut up about it when I happened to be around.
Yeah I know how that feels, it sucks..it`s this poking around the net that gets trouble :|

I had a game spoiled for me AFTER i actually bought the game :| Had to poke my nose on the net...that wasn't unlucky, though...it was sheer stupidity on my part :|

Aphex_Tim
07-17-2013, 11:05 AM
just need to find the will and SOMETHING to do other than the internet for a while :|

Wait, you mean to say there's more to life than video games and the internet? Why did no one ever tell me this!? :eek:

Assassin_M
07-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Wait, you mean to say there's more to life than video games and the internet? Why did no one ever tell me this!? :eek:
It`s crazy at first..there`re these people walking around outside and there`s this intense stroke of light that I do not know its source....you have to get used to it...

pacmanate
07-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Defriend that person.

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Ah, really? What game was it?

Assassin_M
07-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Ah, really? What game was it?
Uncharted 2 :|

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Defriend that person.

I removed and blocked them already. Hope it has at least some effect on them.

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Uncharted 2 :|

Dayum, never played that series but I checked out a few Let's plays and you musta been about as pissed as I am considering that's a very plot-heavy series.

Speaking of which, I talked with some friends earlier and apparently AC3's ending is just like Legacy of Kain's non-canon ending. o 3o

silvermercy
07-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I got the same spoiler just as I received my AC3 pre-order in the post. Some troll on Tumblr kept posting pics and text about Desmond without tagging it as "spoilers". I was beyond angry as they did that on purpose. Anyway, I still think you can enjoy the rest of the game because the story mostly focuses on the other characters such as Ezio, Connor, Haytham etc...

x___Luffy___x
07-17-2013, 12:31 PM
@ IndigoLiquid you should definitely play ACR and AC3 . they are both very good games, you ll love them.

well i was lucky enough to play all the AC games without spoilers :D
even though i am a pc gamer and AC releases late everytime on pc and there are so many walkthrough videos on the youtube. it really gets very hard not to watch them...

Ureh
07-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Someone spoiled some of the Desmond and Connor plot points for a lot of people by posting them on the UbiWorkshop twitter feed. There's still a lot of great secrets to uncover in the game. And really, that spoiler doesn't even spoil the game. In fact, I saw the bright side: How did it happen? We probably can guess why, but not in what way right? That actually left me with more questions.

Jexx21
07-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Desmond dying isn't even that huge of a spoiler. In all honesty, if you think about how stories play out, a popular plot point is the main protagonist sacrificing himself to achieve the main goal in the end. I wasn't surprised.

Trust me, there's some surprises in Assassin's Creed 3 that are absolutely amazing. You need to play Revelations and 3 before Black Flag. In fact, get off these forums now because if you read topics it's very likely that you'll come across major spoilers.

ze_topazio
07-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Not long ago, a study was released that revealed that, spoilers, contrary to popular belief, don't ruin your enjoyment of a story.

BTW

Aerith dies and Snape kills Dumbledore.

SixKeys
07-17-2013, 07:29 PM
That was a **** move from your "friend". I'm a PC player which means I always get the latest AC game later than console gamers and I was so pissed when someone spoiled the ending of ACB on Facebook 3 months before the PC release.

In the end games are more about the journey than the conclusion. Personally I think AC1-ACB were the series' high point and the games started going downhill with ACR. AC3 is my least favorite in the series. So I can't say I recommend them highly. But even with the spoiler you don't know how the rest of Desmond's journey plays out, so if you want some sort of closure in that sense, you could still check them out.

IndigoLiquid
07-18-2013, 01:53 AM
Thanks for all the positive replies, y'all. I think I might just play those games when I get the chance. I'm actually replaying AC2 right now(even though I got 1000/1000 on it) since it was free on XBLA and my original copy has long since been lost.

Y'know, the more I think about it, like I mentioned earlier, AC3's ending is kinda like not only LoK's non-canon ending, but the actual ending of the series itself with the whole sacrifice thing.

IndigoLiquid
07-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Not long ago, a study was released that revealed that, spoilers, contrary to popular belief, don't ruin your enjoyment of a story.

BTW

Aerith dies and Snape kills Dumbledore.

Lol, when I posted this, that "4chan on Fox news" video is what immediately came to mind.

D.I.D.
07-18-2013, 12:33 PM

Don't worry about that. I knew that was going to happen since before AC3 came out, since that character is obviously one of those space Jesus guys that bad U.S. sci-fi likes so much. Lots of other people figured it out too. It's really not as big a moment as you expect it to be either.

It certainly doesn't invalidate the rest of the game if you know it's coming. There are bigger disappointments along the way than anything your friends could spoil, believe me. This is not a good story, it's very predictable, so just play it for what it is. The only hope for good stories lies with each ancestor now, not the modern day, and the makers appear to be refocusing their efforts on the historical parts too.