PDA

View Full Version : Tedious game mechanics you are worried about for ACIV

luckyto
07-17-2013, 01:27 AM
After seeing the gameplay available and reading a lot of the interviews, I've got a couple of game mechanics that I worry might become "tedious." By that, I mean, repetitive and annoying. Maybe you have some as well, please share your own.

1) Storms. I'm worried that every other time that I set sail, I'll be running into a storm. The day and night cycle for AC games have been far too quick since introduced in AC2. AC3 was notably better (another bright point for AC3) in that they seemed to take longer. But if storms occur too frequently, then you are likely to be running into storms far more than you, the player, want to play that game mechanic.

Early in the game when your crew is low, storms will be fresh and will offer a sense of danger for some exciting gameplay. But after you've leveled up and are into your 10th hour of gameplay, storms popping up every 20-30 minutes will be horribly annoying. You won't care so much for losing crew, as acquiring new crew will be easy (which I think will end up being like florins, you'll have more than you can ever need.) Nor will it be challenging by the 4th, 5th, or 6th time you've navigated it. So it will just become a chore - when really - you'd just rather get to that island and explore that cave.

Storms should probably be rare (much less frequent than rain or snow in AC3). And in being rare, they will still be enjoyable many many hours into the game.

2) Combat and the 2-shot kill. The 2-shot kill scares the daylights out of me. I keep thinking about the Janisarries. In ACR, the Janissaries would step back and fire at the player who was turtling or still. It was a mechanic who's good intention was to put the player on the offensive. The result was something horribly monotonous ... and frankly, UN-FUN. While ACB or AC3's combat is much easier than Revelations, both ACB and AC3's combat is infinitely more fun. The Janisarries often led to very monotonous tedious encounters - kick, attack, rinse, repeat. Archetypes, in general, make for repetitive combat; but at least chain-killing allowed AC3 and ACB to overcome that. AC3 also had the benefit of human shields - to keep the combat flowing.

And I think there is this very fine line - between challenging combat and easy combat. Easy combat is fun, but not as rewarding. Challenging combat is rewarding, but can be arduous and not very fun. It is such a fine line. The slightest thing can imbalance it. But challenging combat that becomes overly arduous and tiresome sucks. AC is not Dark Souls, nor should it be. And push come to shove --- I feel Ubi should err on the side of "FUN."

thoughts or other concerns ---

LoyalACFan
07-17-2013, 01:45 AM
1. You'll be able to fast travel anywhere you've previously been to, and by the time storms would start to get tedious, you'll have probably unlocked the whole map. So if you don't want to sail through a storm, just teleport to wherever it is you need to go. Or if you're just sailing aimlessly for the hell of it, just go around it...

2. From what I understand, the gunner archetype is more like ACB's arquebusier than ACR's Janissary. Except in AC4, they can hopefully actually kill you. So there won't be any more of the awkward Janissary "I can't decide if I want to stab you or shoot you" fights.

edit- and for Christ's sake, is it a ****ing crime to say something positive about AC4 around here? I mean, skepticism is justified, but not every topic has to be whining about what aspects you think will suck.

Jexx21
07-17-2013, 02:27 AM
I wouldn't say that ACR's combat was harder than AC3's or ACB's.. it was just more drawn out.

Wolfmeister1010
07-17-2013, 02:40 AM
1. You'll be able to fast travel anywhere you've previously been to, and by the time storms would start to get tedious, you'll have probably unlocked the whole map. So if you don't want to sail through a storm, just teleport to wherever it is you need to go. Or if you're just sailing aimlessly for the hell of it, just go around it...

2. From what I understand, the gunner archetype is more like ACB's arquebusier than ACR's Janissary. Except in AC4, they can hopefully actually kill you. So there won't be any more of the awkward Janissary "I can't decide if I want to stab you or shoot you" fights.

edit- and for Christ's sake, is it a ****ing crime to say something positive about AC4 around here? I mean, skepticism is justified, but not every topic has to be whining about what aspects you think will suck.

This

luckyto
07-17-2013, 03:03 AM

With all due respect, I have said a lot of things positive about ACIV. For AC3, I'm still one of the biggest fans of it that I know. I've clocked well over a 100 hours in every AC game. Amongst my AC clan of over 70 members, I am actually the biggest fanboy of the franchise and definitely the most vocal promoter of ACIV ... by a long shot. So chill your beans.

Two, this isn't even a "criticism." It's just a concern. And NOW is the time to voice concerns, not after the game comes out when it's too late. Sue me for wanting other people to like the game other than fanboys.

Three, if I have to use fast travel all the time just to avoid storms --- then by definition, the system has become too tedious and "un-fun." I would like to sail around the Caribbean in my ship, not use fast travel all the time because a game mechanic becomes monotonous. It's totally legitimate to be concerned about it --- but concern is all that it is, because until we have the game, it's just conjecture.

Likewise, combat should be fun. The need to make it difficult shouldn't outweigh the need to make it fun. I despise Brotherhood's combat because it is too easy, but it is still FAR MORE FUN than Revelation's combat - which is arduous at best.

Megas_Doux
07-17-2013, 03:19 AM
I wouldn't say that ACR's combat was harder than AC3's or ACB's.. it was just more drawn out.

Nah

In AC3 you can die, I have yet to be killed in ACB, even my 5 year old niece would not die in combat LOL....

Jexx21
07-17-2013, 03:22 AM
I'm concerned about the animations not being up to par to AC3's. I miss the way the viewpoint syncs were in AC3, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are simply making new animations for the viewpoints.

I'm also concerned about holsters. I want there to be pistol holsters on Edward's chest and holsters on his waist, and I really hope there are two leather straps for him to sheath his cutlasses in. I'm also concerned about the cutlasses clipping through Edward's robes. I never equipped a sword or blunt/heavy weapon in AC3 during my main run because they would clip through Connor's robes and I never really saw why Connor would use those weapons anyway.

But those are really tedious issues, just aesthetic.

Wolfmeister1010
07-17-2013, 03:24 AM
I'm concerned about the animations not being up to par to AC3's. I miss the way the viewpoint syncs were in AC3, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are simply making new animations for the viewpoints.

I'm also concerned about holsters. I want there to be pistol holsters on Edward's chest and holsters on his waist, and I really hope there are two leather straps for him to sheath his cutlasses in. I'm also concerned about the cutlasses clipping through Edward's robes. I never equipped a sword or blunt/heavy weapon in AC3 during my main run because they would clip through Connor's robes and I never really saw why Connor would use those weapons anyway.

I agree with everything you said regarding holsters and clipping,....but do you REALLY care THAT much about the viewpoint animation?? I mean, They last like 5 seconds and there are only limited amounts of them. I would have never thought that this would be an issue :|

Jexx21
07-17-2013, 03:26 AM
There will be at least 50 viewpoints (and that's if there's only 1 viewpoint in the cities). I'm guessing there will be over 100 viewpoints.

Yes it matters.

Ureh
07-17-2013, 04:41 AM
2) Combat and the 2-shot kill. The 2-shot kill scares the daylights out of me. I keep thinking about the Janisarries. In ACR, the Janissaries would step back and fire at the player who was turtling or still. It was a mechanic who's good intention was to put the player on the offensive. The result was something horribly monotonous ... and frankly, UN-FUN. While ACB or AC3's combat is much easier than Revelations, both ACB and AC3's combat is infinitely more fun. The Janisarries often led to very monotonous tedious encounters - kick, attack, rinse, repeat. Archetypes, in general, make for repetitive combat; but at least chain-killing allowed AC3 and ACB to overcome that. AC3 also had the benefit of human shields - to keep the combat flowing.

You can kill streak the Janisarries as well. You just need to be good with the dodges and pay heed to when one tries to shoot you. It definitely required a bit of practice and finesse but I don't think it was hard and certainly not anymore or less repetitive compared to the combat in other AC games. The extra bit of reflexes and observation required in ACR combat is what makes it feel rewarding.

I think in AC3 if you're fighting only Jagers you can't even start a long kill streak? I'll have to go back and experiment since I've only played the game twice.

LoyalACFan
07-17-2013, 05:51 AM
With all due respect, I have said a lot of things positive about ACIV. For AC3, I'm still one of the biggest fans of it that I know. I've clocked well over a 100 hours in every AC game. Amongst my AC clan of over 70 members, I am actually the biggest fanboy of the franchise and definitely the most vocal promoter of ACIV ... by a long shot. So chill your beans.

Two, this isn't even a "criticism." It's just a concern. And NOW is the time to voice concerns, not after the game comes out when it's too late. Sue me for wanting other people to like the game other than fanboys.

Three, if I have to use fast travel all the time just to avoid storms --- then by definition, the system has become too tedious and "un-fun." I would like to sail around the Caribbean in my ship, not use fast travel all the time because a game mechanic becomes monotonous. It's totally legitimate to be concerned about it --- but concern is all that it is, because until we have the game, it's just conjecture.

Likewise, combat should be fun. The need to make it difficult shouldn't outweigh the need to make it fun. I despise Brotherhood's combat because it is too easy, but it is still FAR MORE FUN than Revelation's combat - which is arduous at best.

I wasn't aiming my little outburst at you exclusively, and I didn't mean to offend. It's just that it seems like AC4 gets nothing but hate these days...

Anyway, the problem with saying "we need to address these issues now before it's too late" is that it's already too late. By now, the game is pretty much finished. And yeah, I know I currently have a petition for holsters going around, but I first posted it 4 months ago.

GreySkellig
07-17-2013, 06:51 AM

I agree with your concern over holsters/sheaths, but since this is a thread about gameplay mechanics, it's a bit misplaced. That said, I will be righteously cheesed off if the levitating pistols make it into the final game.

As for this talk of the Janissaries--they were actually my favorite AC enemy archetype. Sure, they took some getting used to, but they were a genuine challenge. And honestly, they aren't that hard to beat if you know what you're doing. The only time I have problems is if I aggro more than say, a half dozen of them at once--an uncommon occurrence to say the least. It's just a matter of careful timing, and whacking them every time they try to shoot you.

My biggest concern in terms of mechanics is with regard to replenishing the crew. This is meant, it seems, to be a regular activity. If the mini-missions (saving drowning men, rescuing castaways, staring bar fights, etc.) are sufficiently fun and varied, it should be fine, but I could see this turning into the second coming of investigations: repetitive side missions that you have to routinely complete to progress.

Aphex_Tim
07-17-2013, 07:25 AM
I hope they FINALLY dropped the desynched-when-spotted mechanic during stealth missions. This was tedious in AC2, even more so in ACB. I'd think they'd learn from that but it STILL happened in ACR and AC3! This pointless desynchronizing is not only extremely tedious but also goes against the player freedom which Ubi is claiming we'll have in every game. If I have to infiltrate a certain area, I want to do that as I see fit, not by the game forcing me to be stealthy.
What annoyed me the most is when, during a stealth mission, a guard spots you at the very moment you put your blade through his gut and the game is like "Too bad son, you can start all over again!"
Even during a high profile assassination, the guard spots you DURING the animation and you'll desynchronize.

LoyalACFan
07-17-2013, 08:54 AM
What annoyed me the most is when, during a stealth mission, a guard spots you at the very moment you put your blade through his gut and the game is like "Too bad son, you can start all over again!"
Even during a high profile assassination, the guard spots you DURING the animation and you'll desynchronize.

This had me raging so hard back in the Ezio trilogy.

poptartz20
07-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I hope they FINALLY dropped the desynched-when-spotted mechanic during stealth missions. This was tedious in AC2, even more so in ACB. I'd think they'd learn from that but it STILL happened in ACR and AC3! This pointless desynchronizing is not only extremely tedious but also goes against the player freedom which Ubi is claiming we'll have in every game. If I have to infiltrate a certain area, I want to do that as I see fit, not by the game forcing me to be stealthy.

*starts twitching* ahh... so many times with Ezio! Also another thing. I can see why they do that, but at the same time I see where you are coming from. Umm.. maybe there is a happy medium in there. Sometimes I liked the extra challenge but then other times it was just ANNOYING.

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Hope the sailing isn't anything like Wind Waker.

Aphex_Tim
07-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Oh don't worry, I don't think Edward will be whipping out a singing magic wand to manipulate the weather any time soon. :p

IndigoLiquid
07-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Oh don't worry, I don't think Edward will be whipping out a singing magic wand to manipulate the weather any time soon. :p

Toon Edward DLC, calling it now.

dxsxhxcx
07-17-2013, 01:28 PM
After seeing the gameplay available and reading a lot of the interviews, I've got a couple of game mechanics that I worry might become "tedious." By that, I mean, repetitive and annoying. Maybe you have some as well, please share your own.

1) Storms. I'm worried that every other time that I set sail, I'll be running into a storm. The day and night cycle for AC games have been far too quick since introduced in AC2. AC3 was notably better (another bright point for AC3) in that they seemed to take longer. But if storms occur too frequently, then you are likely to be running into storms far more than you, the player, want to play that game mechanic.

Early in the game when your crew is low, storms will be fresh and will offer a sense of danger for some exciting gameplay. But after you've leveled up and are into your 10th hour of gameplay, storms popping up every 20-30 minutes will be horribly annoying. You won't care so much for losing crew, as acquiring new crew will be easy (which I think will end up being like florins, you'll have more than you can ever need.) Nor will it be challenging by the 4th, 5th, or 6th time you've navigated it. So it will just become a chore - when really - you'd just rather get to that island and explore that cave.

Storms should probably be rare (much less frequent than rain or snow in AC3). And in being rare, they will still be enjoyable many many hours into the game.

IMO or they'll make sure these frequent storms (assuming and hoping they'll happen often or at least are easy to find... hehe) won't affect your ship/crew too much OR they won't make crew matter that much (or both), and since you'll spend a lot of time in your ship, I really doubt they'll make this aspect of the game challenging enough, they've been avoiding to add challenge in the game for years, I doubt this will change in AC4

And I think there is this very fine line - between challenging combat and easy combat. Easy combat is fun, but not as rewarding. Challenging combat is rewarding, but can be arduous and not very fun. It is such a fine line. The slightest thing can imbalance it. But challenging combat that becomes overly arduous and tiresome sucks. AC is not Dark Souls, nor should it be. And push come to shove --- I feel Ubi should err on the side of "FUN."

thoughts or other concerns ---

I hate the way ubisoft pretend to fix this, I believe what the players who want more challenge in combat want is the overall combat to be challenging (even "random guard #1" to represent a certain level of challenge) and not a specific archetype that appears from time to time and turn things more annoying than challenging.

one thing I'm worried about is treasure hunting, I was expecting something more complex than what I saw in that gameplay trailer, that specific mission made it look like this feature will be (once you find a map) a tedious exercise of go from point A to B, I hope the other missions are (much) more complex than that one..

Ureh
07-17-2013, 02:33 PM

You need to be stealthy (observe guard patrols from around corners, be aware of any ways to cut line of sight quickly if they get suspicious, only use low profile assassinations). If you need the hud map then turn it back on, it'll show the general location of enemies..

KrYpToNiC95
07-17-2013, 02:34 PM
By the way guys I messaged Ashraf Ismail on twitter and he confirmed that NPC's will be able to swim. Don't know how to add the picture though.....

dxsxhxcx
07-17-2013, 02:42 PM
You need to be stealthy (observe guard patrols from around corners, be aware of any ways to cut line of sight quickly if they get suspicious, only use low profile assassinations). If you need the hud map then turn it back on, it'll show the general location of enemies..

or simply allow us to adapt to the situation instead of force us to be stealthy.

Ureh
07-17-2013, 02:54 PM
The desync when detected does add a certain type of predator/prey thrill to it, knowing that you can't be spotted. They do give us some leeway since most guards won't instantly go into high conflict upon seeing you. But yeah, if they can offer various methods to complete all missions for all playstyles then it's something I'd want to since I would want too.

Edit: ohh no the last part of that sentence... I woke up way too early.

luckyto
07-17-2013, 03:57 PM
There's still a few months of development ahead, and the game should be entering the point of development that is on refining mechanics. Timing of random events should be variable-based, so it's probably something easily tweaked.

IMO or they'll make sure these frequent storms (assuming and hoping they'll happen often or at least are easy to find... hehe) won't affect your ship/crew too much OR they won't make crew matter that much (or both), and since you'll spend a lot of time in your ship, I really doubt they'll make this aspect of the game challenging enough, they've been avoiding to add challenge in the game for years, I doubt this will change in AC4

I hate the way ubisoft pretend to fix this, I believe what the players who want more challenge in combat want is the overall combat to be challenging (even "random guard #1" to represent a certain level of challenge) and not a specific archetype that appears from time to time and turn things more annoying than challenging.

one thing I'm worried about is treasure hunting, I was expecting something more complex than what I saw in that gameplay trailer, that specific mission made it look like this feature will be (once you find a map) a tedious exercise of go from point A to B, I hope the other missions are (much) more complex than that one..

I'm not so much worried about storms being difficult, as I do about them becoming repetitive and annoying.

I totally agree with what you are saying archetypes. And as some others have said, Janisarries weren't so difficult - as they were just tiresome. I really like AC3's combat. It was certainly more challenging than ACB, and it had a much better flow than ACR. I guess that's why I'm skeptical about changes. I understand the need to crank up the difficulty, I'm just nervous about it. AC3 was the first major step in the right direction I've seen in three installments.

The treasure hunting. That's a viable concern. My guess is that it's saving grace will be that you will have a lot of variety and player choice in how you approach the treasure. And for all we know, there may be many many different ways to find maps. But you are right, it could end up being repetitive.

Megas_Doux
07-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Sometimes I hate this fanbase!!!!!!

Scenario 1: The say some mechanics suchs as freerunning are ALWAYS the same. I hate you ubisoft, there is no innovation, blah blah blah blah....
Scenario 2: Naval gameplay, treerunning and a pretty original protagonist are introduced..........."Ships are so NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT assassinish, we want building not trees, native american do not fit, I hate you ubisoft, blah blah blah blah......

Ugh :mad:

Edit, Most of the times.....

Sushiglutton
07-17-2013, 04:59 PM
1) Not worried about that. Ubi is typically to nice to the player :).
2) Not worried about this one either. These enemies will be there to force stealth in some scenarios, just like how it works in Arkham (this is my guess anyway). This will actually make stealth more forgiving as you have a chance to run and hide instead of insta-desync

I'm mostly worried about that the focus once again seems to be on quantity (the world is filed with loot and things to do) instead of talking about what improvements they have done to some of the mechanics.

AC2_alex
07-17-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm tired of the meta-game where you put Assassin recruits on arbitrary and imaginary missions.

generallsj
07-17-2013, 07:19 PM
According to AC intends to aim more reality if storm occurs by every few days or more rarely I am fine with that. And I wish they apply the reality to their combat mechanic in AC as well.

I think well designed challenge is more fun than easy one normally. if there is no SSI and hero dies at about twice enemy attack, I can sure ACB combat is much more harder than AC3 and that might be one of the most important thing to care about fun. It means that easy to not die but hard to make a good play still have rational mechanic can be a good model, like ACB and Arkham games. ACR is almost same with ACB unless Janisarries they have biggest problem with that there are no way to attack them in aggressive form at neutral and to cut their gun shot sometimes which are irrational. And so AC3 combat is unfun mainly because of slower moves of characters than its predecessors and kill streak can not deal with some distant enemy, Jeagers they can be overcame by rope darts but it also looks tedious. AC3 has both unfun without challenge and irrational so that is why I see AC3 combat as not an improvement and should to face lift overall them again. It might be better if they can make polished new ones without kill streak.

ACfan443
07-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Naval combat.

TheDanteEX
07-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Do we know that all firearms will desynch Edward in two shots? All I've heard was the Gunner archetype can kill Edward in two shots, nothing past that. Maybe that refers to all enemies with guns, but we don't exactly know yet.

LoyalACFan
07-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Do we know that all firearms will desynch Edward in two shots? All I've heard was the Gunner archetype can kill Edward in two shots, nothing past that. Maybe that refers to all enemies with guns, but we don't exactly know yet.

But how many enemies will actually have guns? I'm guessing many will just have swords/knives.

Megas_Doux
07-17-2013, 09:30 PM
I think well designed challenge is more fun than easy one normally. if there is no SSI and hero dies at about twice enemy attack, I can sure ACB combat is much more harder than AC3 and that might be one of the most important thing to care about fun. i.

No way!!!!!!

ACB's combat may be funnier -not to me anyway- but NEVER harder.....In fact, it is the easiest!!!!!

generallsj
07-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Only when you can double kill with ammunition.

rileypoole1234
07-17-2013, 11:21 PM
I knew there'd be complaints about storms. Storms happen in real life, and once you get to be a better captain and better at sailing you won't worry about them in AC4, just like you would in real life.

ladyleonhart
07-18-2013, 12:30 AM
I knew there'd be complaints about storms. Storms happen in real life, and once you get to be a better captain and better at sailing you won't worry about them in AC4, just like you would in real life.

People are complaining about storms?? I thought everyone wanted a challenge... ^^ Anyway, I agree, and they are just trying to make it more realistic :)

Ureh
07-18-2013, 03:43 AM
No way!!!!!!

ACB's combat may be funnier -not to me anyway- but NEVER harder.....In fact, it is the easiest!!!!!

It's really hard to desync in acb even if we try. But I guess the difficulty varies for each person and how they play. Ex: no armor, no tools/recruits, no medicine, and trying to aim for the highest kill streak possible. Even with those conditions it's easy to get 10 kill streak or under but to consistently get 15+ kill streak isn't feasible for me anyway. That's how I see ACB combat anyway, it's not about merely surviving but pulling off long streaks.

luckyto
07-18-2013, 04:05 AM

I'm not worried about the difficulty of them. They are relatively easy - and fun - in AC3. I'm worried that they may become monotonous --- more of a chore --- if they are too frequent.

It seems like it is a game mechanic that might be best experienced as a rarity - so that it maintains a sense of fun and adventure long into the game.

Aphex_Tim
07-18-2013, 07:50 AM
These forum errors are also becoming quite tedious....

LoyalACFan
07-18-2013, 08:30 AM
These forum errors are also becoming quite tedious....

No kidding.

dxsxhxcx
07-18-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm not worried about the difficulty of them. They are relatively easy - and fun - in AC3. I'm worried that they may become monotonous --- more of a chore --- if they are too frequent.

It seems like it is a game mechanic that might be best experienced as a rarity - so that it maintains a sense of fun and adventure long into the game.

maybe they could give us the option to adjust how often these (weather) events will happen in the game, this way I believe they'll be able to please everyone, I think the naval missions during storms in AC3 were the best and most immersive ones, that's why I'm looking forward to face every storm I can find in the game but I understand why other people wouldn't want to do the same..