PDA

View Full Version : The Wind in AC4?

SamBushen24
07-14-2013, 08:05 PM
This issue has probably already been discussed?!? But......what happens if where we want to go.....means we have to sail into the wind?! I mean its not like we can pull an Ocarina out of our back pockets and chance the wind direction is it?!!

Wolfmeister1010
07-14-2013, 08:26 PM
This issue has probably already been discussed?!? But......what happens if where we want to go.....means we have to sail into the wind?! I mean its not like we can pull an Ocarina out of our back pockets and chance the wind direction is it?!!

1. Obviously they have found some way to make it work, otherwise the people who have played, tested, and seen gameplay would not have liked the naval as much as they say, or would have at least said something regarding it.

2. Wrong Zelda game my friend. You mean the wind waker.

SamBushen24
07-14-2013, 08:46 PM
1. Obviously they have found some way to make it work, otherwise the people who have played, tested, and seen gameplay would not have liked the naval as much as they say, or would have at least said something regarding it.

2. Wrong Zelda game my friend. You mean the wind waker.

Good point my Russian friend.....it was another strange *** instrument that they used in Windwaker instead!!

Wolfmeister1010
07-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Good point my Russian friend.....it was another strange *** instrument that they used in Windwaker instead!!

....the ocarina is from the game "legend of Zelda: ocarina of time." The wind waker is from the game "the legend of Zelda: the wind waker".

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Did you play AC3? Your ship starts to slow down and comes to a halt if you sail into the wind.

pacmanate
07-14-2013, 08:50 PM
The wind always changes anyway to allow you to go the way you want anyway most of the tieme

SamBushen24
07-14-2013, 08:51 PM
....the ocarina is from the game "legend of Zelda: ocarina of time." The wind waker is from the game "the legend of Zelda: the wind waker".

Yes I know. I was being sarcastic at that last bit. Back to point though....in what way do you think they could of gotten around this???

SamBushen24
07-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Did you play AC3? Your ship starts to slow down and comes to a halt if you sail into the wind.

Yes of course I played AC3, and that was my point in how when you did sail into the wind you literally went no where.

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Yes of course I played AC3, and that was my point in how when you did sail into the wind you literally went no where.
Yeah, but since it will be open world. They can't really make it like that all the time, because that would severely limit exploration.

SamBushen24
07-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Yeah, but since it will be open world. They can't really make it like that all the time, because that would severely limit exploration.

Yeh that is exactly my point. In the recent demo you can see that there is a dotted line with an arrow at the end of it. Presuming that's the wind direction?

Sushiglutton
07-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Shamelessly copy-pasta from wikipedia (I wonder if Ubi has the courage to go this hardcore though lol):

A boat can be 'worked to windward', to arrive at an upwind destination, by sailing close-hauled with the wind coming from one side, then tacking (turning the boat through the eye of the wind) and sailing with the wind coming from the other side. By this method of zig-zagging into the wind, known as beating, it is possible to reach any upwind destination.[9] A yacht beating to a mark directly upwind one mile away will cover a distance through the water of at least 1.4 miles, if it can tack through an angle of 90 degrees including leeway. An old adage describes beating as sailing for twice the distance at half the speed and three times the discomfort.[13]

An estimate of the correct tacking distance can be obtained (and thereby the time taken to travel it at various boat speeds) by using Pythagoras' theorem with equal tacks (assume a value of 1). This also assumes a tacking angle of 90. The straight line distance is the hypotenuse value of √2

When beating to windward one tack may be more favorable than the other - more in the desired direction. The best strategy is to stay on the favorable tack as much as possible. If the wind shifts in the sailor's favor, called a lift, so much the better, then this tack is even more favorable. But if it shifts against the sailor's, called a header, then the opposite tack may become the more favorable course. So when the destination is directly into the wind the best strategy is given by the racing adage "tack on a header." This is true because a header on one tack is a lift on the other.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/32/Beating_an_upwind_course.svg/263px-Beating_an_upwind_course.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing

TheDanteEX
07-14-2013, 09:07 PM
There was an option for "Travel Speed" I think in the demo while sailing. Whatever that means, it likely helps for easy navigation.

Sushiglutton
07-14-2013, 09:09 PM
There was an option for "Travel Speed" I think in the demo while sailing. Whatever that means, it likely helps for easy navigation.

Couldn't that be the same as in AC3 though? I mean half/full sail etc. Doesn't help for sailing directly into the wind.

TheDanteEX
07-14-2013, 09:21 PM
I thought about it as well and it's very well possible. Because the basics were shown as "speed up" and "slow down" however, I figured it could have been something new, though it can just be the fastest speed used to, well, travel.

Sushiglutton
07-14-2013, 09:26 PM
I thought about it as well and it's very well possible. Because the basics were shown as "speed up" and "slow down" however, I figured it could have been something new, though it can just be the fastest speed used to, well, travel.

Yeah, you may be right. I guess we have to wait and see.

SamBushen24
07-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Shamelessly copy-pasta from wikipedia (I wonder if Ubi has the courage to go this hardcore though lol):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/32/Beating_an_upwind_course.svg/263px-Beating_an_upwind_course.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing

Glad you found this, I couldn't for the life of me, remember what it was called but this was what I thought they possibly might do! But I suppose it does make sense and it will make the game feel a bit more believable!

Sushiglutton
07-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Glad you found this, I couldn't for the life of me, remember what it was called but this was what I thought they possibly might do! But I suppose it does make sense and it will make the game feel a bit more believable!

I'm no sailing expert by any stretch, so I can't guarantee this will work with 18th century ships. But I hope the devs have the courage to make it semi-realistic so we learn a bit about sailing techniques while playing (even though it obviously needs to be a bit more arcady for gameplay reasons).

ctuagent15
07-14-2013, 10:58 PM
I found this on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_into_the_wind, it says you can sail into the wind by angling the sails in a slightly more forward angle then the sail force, so maybe the devs will just have your crew do this when you're sailing in to the wind

Bastiaen
07-15-2013, 04:15 PM
You don't have to go directly somewhere. In order to approach it, you can take a diagonal so that you're still getting closer until the winds change.

itsamea-mario
07-15-2013, 04:17 PM
The winds of change.
We are dust in the wind.

ProletariatPleb
07-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Edward's farts will move the Jackdaw. Even Connor uses that method.

http://i.minus.com/ib0v0sBB2Bl0yy.jpg

SamBushen24
07-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Edward's farts will move the Jackdaw. Even Connor uses that method.

http://i.minus.com/ib0v0sBB2Bl0yy.jpg

Hahahahaha I replayed that mission earlier today...(very bored and wanting more naval) and I saw that bit and laughed!!!

pacmanate
07-15-2013, 08:36 PM
The winds of change.
We are dust in the wind.

/Thread

Ureh
07-16-2013, 12:07 AM
There'll be oars that the crew can use to move the ship.

Battle speed. *drum* Attack speed. *drum* Ramming speed. *drum beat*

itsamea-mario
07-16-2013, 02:49 PM
There'll be oars that the crew can use to move the ship.

Battle speed. *drum* Attack speed. *drum* Ramming speed. *drum beat*

ha, ramming speed..