PDA

View Full Version : New UbiBlog article: How Edward Kenway becomes an assassin.

ArabianFrost
07-08-2013, 07:13 PM
http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-edward-kenway-origin/

Normally I'd write a summary for you guys, but this article is just too damn brilliant, you'll have to read it ALL for yourself. Caution aside, I have really high hopes for the narrative in AC4 and I'll go so sar as to say it WILL be the best one in the AC saga. Edward is also creeping up to be my favourite assassin alongside Altar and I haven't even played as him.

x___Luffy___x
07-08-2013, 07:22 PM
nice read :D curious to see who recruits edward and who are the other members of the brotherhood.

pacmanate
07-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Sounds promising, but it remains to be seen if it will be executed well enough.

Ureh
07-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Sounds like it could have a few spoilers. I'll have to pass. :)

pacmanate
07-08-2013, 07:35 PM

Depends what you define as spoilers. Ubisoft released it themselves.

ze_topazio
07-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Great on concept, lets see how the execution turns out.

Kaschra
07-08-2013, 07:49 PM
That's so different from the other protagonists so far - and I really love it!
Sounds really promising.

ArabianFrost
07-08-2013, 08:04 PM
That's so different from the other protagonists so far - and I really love it!
Sounds really promising.

I hope this kills some of the arguments about Edward being a poor Ezio clone to appease to some.

Wolfmeister1010
07-08-2013, 09:20 PM
I hope that when they say "the assassins" they actually mean a guild based in the Caribbean. I mean, before ac3 came out, ubisoft said that "Connor finds the assassins on his path to knowledge". But instead of assassins, he finds one assassin mentor, there barely wasn't even a guild in the Americas at all! Pretty misleading by ubisoft.

So when they say "Edward meets the assassins" I really hope that doesn't mean that he finds one assassin who mentors him. We have had enough of that. Edward should really be at odds with and interact with the entire caribbean assassins guild, which should consist of many assassins.

In order for the game and Edward to feel like an assassin, a good start in the game would be for there to actually be assassins in the game. In ac3, there were only 2 assassins. I wouldn't even count Connors recruits as assassins, because they didn't have any sort of initiation, never even discussed Templars with Connor, didn't have outfits, or anything. I believe that they were just some warriors who repayed Connor for helping them.

The concept is brilliant. I would love to see how the story molds Edward from a stuck up pirate to the righteous assassin we see in forsaken. I mean, SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER if Edward was so against killing a thief who tried to steal from his family, then obviously he underwent a huge change during the events of AC4. I really hope that ubisoft can pull it off.

Sushiglutton
07-08-2013, 09:20 PM

My thoughts exactly :)

ze_topazio
07-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I hope this kills some of the arguments about Edward being a poor Ezio clone to appease to some.

Of course Edward isn't a Ezio clone, cloning technology didn't exist in XVII century. :)

Jexx21
07-08-2013, 09:45 PM
I still really hope that the way they teach Edward a leap of faith is an Assassin and Edward getting ambushed and they run away, come across a cliff with the ocean at the bottom, and the Assassin tells Edward to jump and he's just like "What? That's insane lad!" (credit to Assassin M)

I wonder if Edward gets anything from the Templars, and how exactly Edward gets the hidden blades and beginning of his Assassin robes.

BTW, on the topic of Connor's Assassin recruits. I'm pretty sure that they are actual Assassins and that they were educated by Achilles back at the Davenport Mansion, and that when they stayed at the Homestead they lived in that second house next to the mansion. But I don't believe that they were ever really initiated or made robes. If there's another Connor game, and I strongly believe there will be, I hope that they continue the story of Connor's recruits and the Homestead, even if they don't revisit Boston or New York due to city retread (hell, even if they go to France for the French Revolution I hope Connor goes back to the New World periodically and we see the Homestead).

Wolfmeister1010
07-08-2013, 10:04 PM
I still really hope that the way they teach Edward a leap of faith is an Assassin and Edward getting ambushed and they run away, come across a cliff with the ocean at the bottom, and the Assassin tells Edward to jump and he's just like "What? That's insane lad!" (credit to Assassin M)

I wonder if Edward gets anything from the Templars, and how exactly Edward gets the hidden blades and beginning of his Assassin robes.

BTW, on the topic of Connor's Assassin recruits. I'm pretty sure that they are actual Assassins and that they were educated by Achilles back at the Davenport Mansion, and that when they stayed at the Homestead they lived in that second house next to the mansion. But I don't believe that they were ever really initiated or made robes. If there's another Connor game, and I strongly believe there will be, I hope that they continue the story of Connor's recruits and the Homestead, even if they don't revisit Boston or New York due to city retread (hell, even if they go to France for the French Revolution I hope Connor goes back to the New World periodically and we see the Homestead).

The recruits don't ever go to the homestead. They are never even in the frontier, except for taverns sometimes. Also, I'm pretty sure that you can't just "go periodically back and forth" between France and New York just to catch up with your friends during the 18th century

LoyalACFan
07-08-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can't just "go periodically back and forth" between France and New York just to catch up with your friends during the 18th century

Well, the Captain Kidd missions had us travel all the way to Jamaica AND the Northwest Passage for the pipe dream of a treasure that probably wasn't even there anymore, so... I don't think it would be an issue.

Jexx21
07-08-2013, 10:14 PM
The recruits don't ever go to the homestead. They are never even in the frontier, except for taverns sometimes. Also, I'm pretty sure that you can't just "go periodically back and forth" between France and New York just to catch up with your friends during the 18th century
Does it matter if you don't see the recruits on the Homestead? Achilles knew about the recruits and he knew how to contact them, seeing as Achilles got in contact with them while Connor was in prison. The recruits were also trained in the ways of parkour and given hidden blades somewhere. I'm pretty sure that you can't be a great friend to Connor and trained by him without at least being at the Assassin HQ of the colonies. They have most likely been at the Homestead. Chances are they can't be called upon in the Frontier because Connor probably won't require aid at all.

No idea why you're set against this idea...

ArabianFrost
07-08-2013, 10:18 PM
I really like the excessive use of the word "lad" in the game. Hehe. It's a nice word.

Wolfmeister1010
07-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Does it matter if you don't see the recruits on the Homestead? Achilles knew about the recruits and he knew how to contact them, seeing as Achilles got in contact with them while Connor was in prison. The recruits were also trained in the ways of parkour and given hidden blades somewhere. I'm pretty sure that you can't be a great friend to Connor and trained by him without at least being at the Assassin HQ of the colonies. They have most likely been at the Homestead. Chances are they can't be called upon in the Frontier because Connor probably won't require aid at all.

No idea why you're set against this idea...

It's called an opinion..lol. I'm not against the idea, I just think it is unlikely

Jexx21
07-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Well, if they don't continue to story of the recruits, then what was the point of even having them in AC3. It would be kinda stupid.

dxsxhxcx
07-08-2013, 10:44 PM
I hope that when they say "the assassins" they actually mean a guild based in the Caribbean. I mean, before ac3 came out, ubisoft said that "Connor finds the assassins on his path to knowledge". But instead of assassins, he finds one assassin mentor, there barely wasn't even a guild in the Americas at all! Pretty misleading by ubisoft.

So when they say "Edward meets the assassins" I really hope that doesn't mean that he finds one assassin who mentors him. We have had enough of that. Edward should really be at odds with and interact with the entire caribbean assassins guild, which should consist of many assassins.

to add to this, I also hope he doesn't find out later in the game that his daddy/grandpa were Assassins/Templars

Wolfmeister1010
07-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Well, if they don't continue to story of the recruits, then what was the point of even having them in AC3. It would be kinda stupid.

Well, all of the characters built up and loved in AC2 and brotherhood never made any sort of appearance in revelations, where ezio travels halfway across the world. If Connor were to go halfway across the world to France, then it would be smart to assume that the recruits won't be making any sort of big appearance. they werent nearly as big of characters as bartolomeo or la volpe. they might be featured at the beginning of a new connor game in france if they do a "Connor leaving America" sequence, or maybe Stephane will have some sort of larger role because he is French. The only way I can see the recruits ever being featured largely in a game is if they do another Connor game in America (which I seriously doubt they will do).

Jexx21
07-09-2013, 12:25 AM
I actually think that the recruits were bigger characters than Bartolomeo or La Volpe were in AC2 (Brotherhood is where they actually developed, so that's a different story).

And I doubt we'll see a full Connor game in France. I personally think there will be one more Connor game, and half will take place in the southern colonies and half will take place in France.. maybe not even go to France.

It all depends. But I have a feeling that we'll get a lot more time with the Assassin recruits and the Homestead. I just hope they don't decide to destroy the Homestead. That would suck, Monterigionni was destroyed, but you didn't have a connection with any of the people that lived in it, and even then it was devastating.

Rugterwyper32
07-09-2013, 12:49 AM
I actually think that the recruits were bigger characters than Bartolomeo or La Volpe were in AC2 (Brotherhood is where they actually developed, so that's a different story).

And I doubt we'll see a full Connor game in France. I personally think there will be one more Connor game, and half will take place in the southern colonies and half will take place in France.. maybe not even go to France.

It all depends. But I have a feeling that we'll get a lot more time with the Assassin recruits and the Homestead. I just hope they don't decide to destroy the Homestead. That would suck, Monterigionni was destroyed, but you didn't have a connection with any of the people that lived in it, and even then it was devastating.

I don't think we'll end up seeing Connor go to France, either. I also don't see him taking part in the Haitian Revolution, which is one of the ideas I had, on one hand because it'd be reusing the Caribbean setting (but hey it'd mean Hispaniola fully explorable maybe). If anything, I see an Aveline game based around it.
People have mentioned the Northwestern Indian War. I could do my own take on it in the "future AC games" topic, so might touch up on that later because yes.

Back on topic, Edward sounds like a really interesting character. Really looking forward to his development. Darby's writing is certainly strong, only not when he's made to write silly parachute over Constantinople style things. Hopefully we'll see that taken to a minimum so he gets to shine.

I-Like-Pie45
07-09-2013, 12:52 AM
what if it turns out

the Haitian revolution

are connor sequences in AC4

Rugterwyper32
07-09-2013, 01:00 AM
what if it turns out

the Haitian revolution

are connor sequences in AC4

If we get Cap Haitien as an explorable location for AC4, then hell yeah I'm all for it. We'd have Spanish, British and French locations in that case. So much variety.

AC2_alex
07-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Please help, those who have read the article. Does the article contain just insights or plot points/ reveals. If it is the former, then I'll read it.

*edit **** it, I'll just read it.

ArabianFrost
07-09-2013, 02:29 AM
Please help, those who have read the article. Does the article contain just insights or plot points/ reveals. If it is the former, then I'll read it.

*edit **** it, I'll just read it.
At least for me it was general insight and a general background for the plot and the conflicts within it.

Megas_Doux
07-09-2013, 02:43 AM
The Article is very cool!!!

And in regards of Connor, I want him to die in a blaze of glory.....

AC2_alex
07-09-2013, 02:57 AM
It definitely has minor spoilers.

poptartz20
07-09-2013, 04:46 AM
Edward also finds the Creed restricting – until he starts to bend it to his will, starting with the Creed’s central maxim: Nothing is true, everything is permitted. “If nothing is true and everything is permitted, then Edward can do whatever he wants,” McDevitt says.

I think this alone already has me liking Edward. Haha. That's classic. Umm... The game is finally peeking my interest ! Edward is seriously turning out to be very different from the rest of the other Assassins. Also I like how ****Spoiler for some Highlight to read***** He plays both sides of Assassins and Templars I will still wait to hear more info before I make a move, but still very interesting. Overall I highly enjoyed this article. I wonder what else there will be to come.

Assassin_M
07-09-2013, 04:50 AM
I really don`t like the sound of this at all..

don`t you feel bad now?? for asking what sounds bad?? I suckered you

AC2_alex
07-09-2013, 05:06 AM

Care to tell us why? What's troubling you?

Assassin_M
07-09-2013, 05:10 AM

you`re supposed to quote the whole post goddammit....THAT`S CHEATING

AC2_alex
07-09-2013, 05:16 AM
you`re supposed to quote the whole post goddammit....THAT`S CHEATING

Got 'em!!! BWAHAHAHA!

Assassin_M
07-09-2013, 05:47 AM
Got 'em!!! BWAHAHAHA!
I HATE YOU *cries away to room*

poptartz20
07-09-2013, 06:24 AM
So.. M. what's up? I'm curious...

ArabianFrost
07-09-2013, 06:26 AM
So.. M. what's up? I'm curious...

I second him. Is it because he is the opposite of your one and only love, Connor?

Assassin_M
07-09-2013, 06:30 AM
I second him. Is it because he is the opposite of your one and only love, Connor?
She`s a female

ArabianFrost
07-09-2013, 06:35 AM
She`s a female

You broke up with Connor?

ProletariatPleb
07-09-2013, 06:36 AM
I wanna go blind into AC4, I've only read like few lines, does the article have spoilers?

ArabianFrost
07-09-2013, 06:40 AM
I wanna go blind into AC4, I've only read like few lines, does the article have spoilers?

Nothing direct.

Aphex_Tim
07-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Nothing direct.

It does give a little insight on the overall plot though.
If you really don't want to know anything at all before playing it, you probably shouldn't read it.

poptartz20
07-09-2013, 07:52 AM
You broke up with Connor?

wow... is somebody antagonizing? Haha... No but really I am a female! :D

Thanks for remembering M!

LoyalACFan
07-09-2013, 08:30 AM

If you want to go in totally blind, don't read it. It contains about the same amount of info we learned about Connor's background and motivations in the initial AC3 interviews, but IMO even that much information almost completely spoiled Sequences 4 and 5 of AC3.

ProletariatPleb
07-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks guise. And damn you for lying Frosty.

avk111
07-09-2013, 08:49 AM

Well like the Author said , the game left Connor Jaded in the end, so I think he will turn out to be more Badass than he was before, the nice thing about Connor is he is smart and cunning he just doesnt realise it yet , not to mention can you imagine meeting Connor at like his late 40 to early 50s can you imagine what sort of Character he will be after all the crap he went though he will be cold as Ice and a strict assassin fundamentalist , kind of like Bruce Wayne in his late years.

Shahkulu101
07-09-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm certainly glad they are doing something more edgy with a protagonist like Edward. It's a needed refreshment in the franchise to have an especially morally ambiguous character, although all of the main assassins were shady to an extent. I do wonder how or If his relationship with pirates comes to an end.

This is certainly the most exciting premise of any of the games yet.

ArabianFrost
07-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks guise. And damn you for lying Frosty.

*wink* *wink*

Seriously though, it has nothing but Edward's affiliations (which we already knew were fluctuating) and misuse of the creed. The only thing remotely "spoilery" was the POE but we would have found about that early on anyway.

ACfan443
07-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Wait, so do you like the sound of it or not? If so why?

pacmanate
07-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Haha... No but really I am a female! :D

*spits out tea*

YOU'RE A WHAT!?!

ArabianFrost
07-09-2013, 10:57 AM
*spits out tea*

YOU'RE A WHAT!?!

Yer a wizard harry, A wizard.

ArabianFrost
07-09-2013, 11:00 AM
wow... is somebody antagonizing? Haha... No but really I am a female! :D

Thanks for remembering M!

lolwut? When I was saying he*, I meant
"hey Assassin_M, you don't like the sound of it cause Edward* is the opposite of your one and only love, Connor?

I suck at (insert immature comment here) jokes.

pacmanate
07-09-2013, 11:06 AM
lolwut? When I was saying he*, I meant
"hey Assassin_M, you don't like the sound of it cause Edward* is the opposite of your one and only love, Connor?

I suck at (pee pee) jokes.

lul

Locopells
07-09-2013, 12:59 PM
*spits out tea*

YOU'RE A WHAT!?!

Somebody get a towel...

ProletariatPleb
07-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Somebody get a towel...
A human towel?

Locopells
07-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Not for wiping spit up with...

...dammit gotta get that image outta my head now...

poptartz20
07-10-2013, 10:00 AM
*spits out tea*

YOU'RE A WHAT!?!

Hahaa... I'm not sure how to take this. :O *gets a towel* Do you need a moment!?

salman147
07-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Okay so........we get to see how Edward transforms from a super greedy brash,rebel pirate who harms the innocent and wealthy and is a so called ''assassin'' who doesn't care for the Creed even 1% (unless assisting the creed promises him more money and fame) but for wealth,riches,entertainment,adventure,plunder,powe r etc. into a good guy who develops general conscience at his old age about what's right and wrong.

Assassin_M
07-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Okay so........we get to see how Edward transforms from a super greedy brash,rebel pirate who harms the innocent and wealthy and is a so called ''assassin'' who doesn't care for the Creed even 1% (unless assisting the creed promises him more money and fame) but for wealth,riches,entertainment,adventure,plunder,powe r etc. into a good guy who develops general conscience at his old age about what's right and wrong.
Sucks right?? has no room for innovation or thrill at all...

Revenge story by a playboy is sooo much more interesting

salman147
07-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Sucks right?? has no room for innovation or thrill at all...

Revenge story by a playboy is sooo much more interesting

Yeah.I mean the plot is too predictable.(unless that's not the right word)
I expected a plot which would be a thrilling one that'll keep me more interested to know what happens next.That's how a story mode should play out.I guess I'll have to wait next time.

salman147
07-10-2013, 06:10 PM
GUYS!!!!!!!
WATCH THIS:

http://n4g.com/news/1307891/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-pirate-combat-gameplay-trailer

Spider_Sith9
07-10-2013, 07:23 PM
GUYS!!!!!!!
WATCH THIS:

http://n4g.com/news/1307891/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-pirate-combat-gameplay-trailer

Can you stop yelling? :P

But yes. Very impressive!

salman147
07-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Can you stop yelling? :P

But yes. Very impressive!

I wasn't ''YELLING'', I just wanted to draw everyone's attention.Sorry,it won't happen again.(Unless I have to draw attention again)
Havanna video coming soon.I bet it's at Comic con.

Shahkulu101
07-11-2013, 01:23 PM
What seems to be happening more and more is that the historical period and the own character's motives are taking a backseat to the actual Templar-Assassin conflict. I personally don't mind as long as they keep the moral ambiguity between the two factions to at least maintain interest within that element.
I'm looking forward to playing my Pirate/Assassin game--we needed a big change anyhow.