PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed selected as top franchise of the 7th generation by gametrailers

AherasSTRG
07-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Our beloved franchise was selected as the top franchise of the current generation of consoles by the gametrailers.com editors.
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/965iyg/gt-countdown-top-10--7th-gen-franchises
I would like to congratulate the people behind the franchise and encourage the developers to keep offering us great games. With 5 games, 8+/10 in metacritic scores, innovative story and gameplay, high selling points and millions of fans worldwide, AC certainly stood out as one of the top (the top as the people in Gametrailers are saying) franchises of the latest era of gaming.
Let the haters hate, let the anti-socials whine, this franchise offered majestic experiences to all of us and when it comes down to measuring its effect on the gaming community, this game has to be placed first.

ze_topazio
07-08-2013, 04:53 PM
If anything, after AC we started seeing a lot more open world games, not even GTA had that effect.

ProletariatPleb
07-08-2013, 04:55 PM
If anything, after AC we started seeing a lot more open world games, not even GTA had that effect.
Now now, let's not start attributing that to AC. If you're talking about next-gen, we're seeing more-open world because devs have got so much memory now they don't have anything else to do with it, lol.

AherasSTRG
07-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Now now, let's not start attributing that to AC. If you're talking about next-gen, we're seeing more-open world because devs have got so much memory now they don't have anything else to do with it, lol.
Well, we certainly see more parkouring and free-styling... Stealth was also approached in a different way than the older games, like Thief. And historical consiracy stories passed from the world of books and documentaries to video games.

SleezeRocker
07-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Awesome! For me Assassisn's creed was the most coolest game series I've played in current gen ;)

who-can-i-be
07-08-2013, 06:44 PM
As happy as I am, I don't think AC should have been first on that list; particularly not when in competition with Elder Scrolls, Portal (I guess) and Bioshock (love it or hate it) this gen.

Off topic: How did Uncharted get here?! (And yes, I am a PS3 owner, and yes I have played it).

AherasSTRG
07-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Off topic: How did Uncharted get here?! (And yes, I am a PS3 owner, and yes I have played it).
You have no idea about the chain of events you have just triggered...

ze_topazio
07-08-2013, 07:01 PM

Because it's great.

Ureh
07-08-2013, 07:36 PM
AC has a lot of potential and will continue to do so for many years to come. AC is a game without peer. Others can try to defeat it but they'll never succeed.

TheHumanTowel
07-08-2013, 07:51 PM
It certainly is a defining franchise of this gen.

SleezeRocker
07-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Off topic: How did Uncharted get here?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4J7kjsTLpY

Gi1t
07-08-2013, 08:22 PM
As happy as I am, I don't think AC should have been first on that list; particularly not when in competition with Elder Scrolls, Portal (I guess) and Bioshock (love it or hate it) this gen.

I'd say it's a fair title for the series. Honestly, many of the other franchises that might be held above AC really have their origins in earlier generations. Elder Scrolls is definitely one. While a lot of top-notch games came out this gen, few franchises were born within this generation itself and many that were still qualify more as fledgling frachises, with only a couple of outings thus far. AC started with the onset of the new generation and went on to hit its peak before the next generation appeared on the horizon. Among those few games that had similar lives, AC was probably the biggest phenomenon.

AC has a lot of potential and will continue to do so for many years to come. AC is a game without peer. Others can try to defeat it but they'll never succeed.

Of course, all of this is no reason to let it go to their heads, and I hope they won't. -__- Much like Elder Scrolls, this series kind of needs to up its game at this point, no get complacent. There's no shortage of issues to fix, not all of which were shared by earlier entries in the series.

Sushiglutton
07-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Not a bad pick, it has been a very succesful and influenital franchise.

SixKeys
07-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Personally I would have placed Mass Effect or Portal on the #1 spot. I'm not a big ME fan, but IMO the scope of its in-game consequences and character customization is unparallelled. On the surface it may appear as a somewhat generic RPG-shooter, but the thought and depth that went into creating the overarching script for all three games is staggering.

While I love AC and agree that it has had some influence on other games, not all of the credit they gave it is justified. They mention Mirror's Edge as a game that was influenced by the parkour in AC1. Uhh, no, the first Mirror's Edge was announced the same year as AC1. Mirror's Edge was pretty much entirely based on parkour (it's entirely possible to do a runthrough without any combat) whereas in AC1 it was only one aspect. Ever since AC2 the sequels have remained relatively unchanged, apart from a few completely fresh ideas like naval combat. For a series that has five games under its belt since 2007, that's not exactly something to brag about.

Ureh
07-09-2013, 05:24 AM
I think if we take a step back and look at all the AC games again you'll see that all the entries have been praised and criticised. Almost all games out there have been in the same shoes right? Annual releases hurt the franchise a bit but I think it also fatigues us in such a way that we become disillusioned and have tunnel vision. We start to have overbearing expectations and dismiss most improvements/changes (visual and gameplay). Most (great) franchises seem to follow the same path even if they don't have as many games as AC does: big & small improvements in a game that feels familiar and even looks similar. I think cutting down on yearly releases can help make the game appear to have more considerable improvements and more importantly give the devs and us time to recuperate.

dxsxhxcx
07-09-2013, 12:18 PM
I think if we take a step back and look at all the AC games again you'll see that all the entries have been praised and criticised. Almost all games out there have been in the same shoes right? Annual releases hurt the franchise a bit but I think it also fatigues us in such a way that we become disillusioned and have tunnel vision. We start to have overbearing expectations and dismiss most improvements/changes (visual and gameplay). Most (great) franchises seem to follow the same path even if they don't have as many games as AC does: big & small improvements in a game that feels familiar and even looks similar. I think cutting down on yearly releases can help make the game appear to have more considerable improvements and more importantly give the devs and us time to recuperate.

good luck trying to convince Yves... :p

AherasSTRG
07-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Oh, seriously, now. The term "franchise fatigue" must be a non-existent term, fabricated by some fat guy, while writing a troll post...

Bastiaen
07-09-2013, 04:14 PM

I agree, though I think Watch Dogs also has immense potential. I just preordered my x1 last night. So when AC4 comes out for current gen, I'll be going dark until it releases on x1... I can't believe that I'm willing to voluntarily take the delay. AC is, without a doubt, my favorite franchise ever. It was the reason that I even bought a 360, and it's the primary reason for upgrading to next gen.

Jexx21
07-09-2013, 06:38 PM
why would you get an XBone over a PS4, especially since it costs $100 more and doesn't have extra Assassin's Creed missions, which you say is your favorite series...

..just doesn't make sense.

STDlyMcStudpants
07-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Lol I actually don't like that so many games are open world now...Im a late gamer this past generation (skipped gaming from 2005-2011)
Im playing catch up lol and the amount of hours some games hold are so overwhelming!
Of every open world style game i have played from this past generation, Assassins Creed and borderlands are the ONLY open world type games to not overwhelm me.
(I enjoyed Mafia IIas well and havent got a chance to play skyrim, Farcry 3, or GTA IV yet, but own all 3)
Its not easy for me to enjoy open world...some games it feels like it's just a drag on such as Tomb Raider 2013...I loved the crap out of that game, but I would have liked it to be as linear as Uncharted....I didnt need to hunt animals BUT I did enjoy the freedom of going anywhere i wanted in the game..so Tomb Raider was an in between, It wasnt a nuisance, but I didnt actually love its open world experience...
Games like Darksiders and the Arkham series i could definitely live without an open world because those types of games use their worlds more to back track than to move forward...
I enjoy the occasional 30+ hour game...but i need at least 3 quick 12 hr games in between them lol

LoyalACFan
07-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Lol I actually don't like that so many games are open world now...Im a late gamer this past generation (skipped gaming from 2005-2011)
Im playing catch up lol and the amount of hours some games hold are so overwhelming!
Of every open world style game i have played from this past generation, Assassins Creed and borderlands are the ONLY open world type games to not overwhelm me.
(I enjoyed Mafia IIas well and havent got a chance to play skyrim, Farcry 3, or GTA IV yet, but own all 3)
Its not easy for me to enjoy open world...some games it feels like it's just a drag on such as Tomb Raider 2013...I loved the crap out of that game, but I would have liked it to be as linear as Uncharted....I didnt need to hunt animals BUT I did enjoy the freedom of going anywhere i wanted in the game..so Tomb Raider was an in between, It wasnt a nuisance, but I didnt actually love its open world experience...
Games like Darksiders and the Arkham series i could definitely live without an open world because those types of games use their worlds more to back track than to move forward...
I enjoy the occasional 30+ hour game...but i need at least 3 quick 12 hr games in between them lol

I sort of agree and disagree with you. Open-world games, when done right, can be incredible because you can do essentially whatever you want to do, either run straight through all of the story missions or take your time and get lost in a million side activities. But other games... I can't help feeling that the open world drags them down a bit. As you said, Tomb Raider didn't really need to have an open world, and IMO Mafia II didn't need one either; there was nothing to do outside of missions, and you were just awkwardly thrust from one mission to another while never really getting a chance to explore and enjoy the city. LA Noire is another example; they created an amazingly detailed 1940s Los Angeles, but there's absolutely no incentive to explore it because there's nothing to do other than a handful of extremely scripted street crimes, and you can't even go on crime sprees for a little mindless fun now and then like you can with Mafia.

But one bit of advice for you... If you're easily overwhelmed by open-world games, stay the hell away from Skyrim. I love open-world games, and even I had a headache from how much side content there was.

STDlyMcStudpants
07-10-2013, 04:32 AM
I sort of agree and disagree with you. Open-world games, when done right, can be incredible because you can do essentially whatever you want to do, either run straight through all of the story missions or take your time and get lost in a million side activities. But other games... I can't help feeling that the open world drags them down a bit. As you said, Tomb Raider didn't really need to have an open world, and IMO Mafia II didn't need one either; there was nothing to do outside of missions, and you were just awkwardly thrust from one mission to another while never really getting a chance to explore and enjoy the city. LA Noire is another example; they created an amazingly detailed 1940s Los Angeles, but there's absolutely no incentive to explore it because there's nothing to do other than a handful of extremely scripted street crimes, and you can't even go on crime sprees for a little mindless fun now and then like you can with Mafia.

But one bit of advice for you... If you're easily overwhelmed by open-world games, stay the hell away from Skyrim. I love open-world games, and even I had a headache from how much side content there was.
haha im saving skyrim for last! :D
I went back and bought every ps3 game that looks interesting and know if i start skyrim with the unplayed collection i have now, i would never be able to finish it :D
Far Cry 2 killed me...that is a great example of a painful open world

Gi1t
07-10-2013, 05:44 AM
haha im saving skyrim for last! :D
I went back and bought every ps3 game that looks interesting and know if i start skyrim with the unplayed collection i have now, i would never be able to finish it :D
Far Cry 2 killed me...that is a great example of a painful open world

Yeah, I think Darksiders may have done a bit better with less wandering around. Mainly because of the less appealing world, really. I find I prefer freeroaming in worlds that I find very appealing in general. That said, DS 2's more lively and diverse settings did make the open world feel better (actually, that game was totally going for a Skyrim vibe with its environmetns and soundtrack. XD

As for Skyrim itself, despite all the issues I have with it, one thing I appreaciate about it more so than the previous games (and that's saying something) is the natural beauty of Skyrim. It really is beautiful when you take the time to look around. Anyway, with Elder Scrolls, I find it's better to really pick a character and stick to it. If you answer every call from every quest big or small, you'll wind up the master of several organizations and owing your eternal soul to more than a dozen demonic princes. XD It starts to all feel kind of trivial after a while, especially if you're just doing it to get it done. The moments I've enjoyed the most have been times where I chose to decline what I was expected to do in favor of what my character would do instead. The most fun characters don't wear the best armor or go around doing every single quest to the letter. (For example, I've never done the assassin quests in Skyrim. I never cared much for the Brotherhood; I'm still Morag Tong through and through. :D Busting that quest chain is one of my favorite things in the game to do despite the fact that it eliminates hours and hours of content.) So playing to your character's personality can help to really cut down on the overwhelming amount of 'stuff' to do. You can always make another character with a different personality to experiiment with the quests you ingnored as someone else.

poptartz20
07-10-2013, 10:35 AM
why would you get an XBone over a PS4, especially since it costs $100 more and doesn't have extra Assassin's Creed missions, which you say is your favorite series...

..just doesn't make sense.

I was wondering a bit of the same thing... I don't know where you live Jexx but in America Xbox is big here for some odd reason. Bigger than it should be (imo) But then again this isn't a thread about console things.. But none the less interesting list for sure! Can't say that' I hate it. Surprised that the AC franchise too the #1 spot though! and that Uncharted was ranked so low. I thought it would be in 5+ but still glad it made it on the list. GoW though. blah. No that it's bad but still...

Shahkulu101
07-10-2013, 10:41 AM
All the more incentive for ubisoft to splutter out these games like horse ****.

Jexx21
07-10-2013, 05:43 PM
I was wondering a bit of the same thing... I don't know where you live Jexx but in America Xbox is big here for some odd reason. Bigger than it should be (imo) But then again this isn't a thread about console things.. But none the less interesting list for sure! Can't say that' I hate it. Surprised that the AC franchise too the #1 spot though! and that Uncharted was ranked so low. I thought it would be in 5+ but still glad it made it on the list. GoW though. blah. No that it's bad but still...
I live in Pennsylvania, and all my (gaming) friends have an Xbox. I don't have any current gen consoles, I play mostly on PC. But I have to admit, I plan on getting a PS4, and even a PS3 later possibly. I say PS3 because I really want to play the Infamous and Uncharted series, and I have to get my hands on The Last of Us, but the PS4 can't play PS3 games unless you stream them, and my internet sucks for streaming games, so that's a no go.

But no, I imagine that a lot of my friends would want to carry on to the Xbox One, but to be honest, I make friends online that I can play with anyway...

STDlyMcStudpants
07-10-2013, 09:08 PM
I live in Pennsylvania, and all my (gaming) friends have an Xbox. I don't have any current gen consoles, I play mostly on PC. But I have to admit, I plan on getting a PS4, and even a PS3 later possibly. I say PS3 because I really want to play the Infamous and Uncharted series, and I have to get my hands on The Last of Us, but the PS4 can't play PS3 games unless you stream them, and my internet sucks for streaming games, so that's a no go.

But no, I imagine that a lot of my friends would want to carry on to the Xbox One, but to be honest, I make friends online that I can play with anyway...

uncharted is great and suprizingly so is the killzone series
I wish i could get into infamous, but the first one was to bland for me and the 2nd one was too frustrating..you shouldnt die in your first mission on a game lol but i did -_-
I only played the demos..couldnt bring myself to buy and try to complete those games
But dont forget the GOW collection, a total of 6 games now ;D

poptartz20
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM

Ahh... okay gotcha! I have the same problem as well just about all but 2 of my friends own an xbox. But the two that do own ps3s hardly play online ever. So I've resorted to making online friends as well! Uncharted was a great series for me. I have the The second and third game still to this day since they both released. I rented the first thinking I wasn't going to like the series. Ha! Infamous was surprising good for me! I enjoy making those good/evil choices. Last of Us. I can't even start on how great this game is! But yeah! That's awesome! I hope you enjoy the system though! I personally love it!

Dosenwabe
07-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Once I loved this franchise. But I cannot support this anymore, the devs hate me and I'm pissed. So I'm gonna sabotage it now on any good opportunity and everywhere I am. Ubisuck sucks.

LoyalACFan
07-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Once I loved this franchise. But I cannot support this anymore, the devs hate me and I'm pissed. So I'm gonna sabotage it now on any good opportunity and everywhere I am. Ubisuck sucks.

Enjoy your upcoming ban.

Gi1t
07-11-2013, 01:39 AM
I wish i could get into infamous, but the first one was to bland for me and the 2nd one was too frustrating..you shouldnt die in your first mission on a game lol but i did -_-

I guess you wouldn't like the first Ninja Gaiden then. XD

As much as I've herd about Infamous being good, I've never had much interest in it. -__-

BATISTABUS
07-11-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm extremely surprised (yet pleased) by this result. Well done Ubisoft!

ze_topazio
07-11-2013, 05:20 PM
I guess you wouldn't like the first Ninja Gaiden then. XD

As much as I've herd about Infamous being good, I've never had much interest in it. -__-

Ninja Gaiden Sigma, managing to beat that game is one of my greatest gaming accomplishments.

Gi1t
07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Ninja Gaiden Sigma, managing to beat that game is one of my greatest gaming accomplishments.

On Master? :)

Side Note: Someone needs to fix the forums again. All the links to general forums and specific threads are broken with Ubisoft Maintenence messages. -__- I had to navigate here by using the go to last post button on the top listed thread (in the forums list screen) then keep going to the bottom of the page and hitting the previous thred button.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
07-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Hi Gi1t, I'm not seeing these errors, which browser are you using and have you tried clearing cache?

lothario-da-be
07-13-2013, 11:01 AM
I think Assassin's creed deserves it, its the fastest selling new IP of this generation, and i don't know anyone who never played ac. Congrats ubi!

Assassin_M
07-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Hi Gi1t, I'm not seeing these errors, which browser are you using and have you tried clearing cache?
that post was 2 days ago...I had the same problem, but it wasn't persistent. i`v faced no such problems so far today or yesterday

lothario-da-be
07-13-2013, 11:15 AM
I also have the errors now, the watch doesn't work too anymore for me.

ze_topazio
07-13-2013, 12:00 PM
On Master? :)

I'm not that good...

:(

Gi1t
07-13-2013, 05:10 PM
@Ubi_Mush: Yeah, that problem has since been fixed for me as well.

It's worth noting though that it seems to happen a lot when the forum undergoes maintenence. The site comes back and people are clearly posting, but I can't get there using the main links. XD

@ze_topazio: I'd highly recommend it, actually. :D One of Ninja Gaiden's best qualities, I think, is that it doesn't just give you the same old **** with damage bonuses on higher difficulties. Most of the fights in the game are different; either pitting you against tougher enemies than you'd normally fight, or new ones some of which are totally different rather than being kick*** upgrades of old enemies. A couple of enemies even get new moves. Also, most projectile attacks are multiplied. (Those floating ninja in the second chapter shoot two fireballs on Hard, three on Very Hard and.....uh....nine on Master. XD (There are limits for some attacks though. Alma's attacks only get up to three times.) Best part is that the damage isn't really all THAT much higher. The difficulty comes from the enemies more than the damage increase, which I thinkis something more games need to learn how to do. (Also, there are new bosses in a couple of places too.) :D

ACRules2
07-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Agreed!
It's a great franchise, and I hope it continues for a long, long time!
Thanks Ubisoft!

Spider_Sith9
07-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Well, we certainly see more parkouring and free-styling... Stealth was also approached in a different way than the older games, like Thief. And historical consiracy stories passed from the world of books and documentaries to video games.

This is true. Now everyone is doing Parkour in terms of platforming elements. Not to mention it overthrew PoP for being known for Parkour even though PoP started the fad.

I agree. Especially on the aspect of Modern Day. They shouldn't stay in the past just because of gameplay issues and constantly catering to the fans and gamers wants.