PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft Kiev handling the PC version.

BlastThyName
06-28-2013, 11:53 AM
All credits goes to sidspyker24.

http://www.assassins-creed.ru/news-367-geympleynoe-raznoobrazie-assassins-creed-4-black-flag.html

Ubisoft Kiev Ukrainian studio based in Kiev, once again responsible for porting the single player and multiplayer Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag on PC

FYI Kiev ported Ghost Recon Future Soldier to PC, or Assassin's Creed III. While they fixed a number of issues with GR they never did anything to make sure that AC3 on PC used every GPU power at its disposal. My 3770/GTX670 combo barely did the job for 1080p/60fps.

I will let you guys draw your own conclusions but safe to say that we can look forward to a very, very demanding game and not for good reasons.

bolz87
06-28-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't have hopes that this game will be "awesome" like Ismaili said about PC version *facepalm

AherasSTRG
06-28-2013, 02:33 PM
All credits goes to sidspyker24.

http://www.assassins-creed.ru/news-367-geympleynoe-raznoobrazie-assassins-creed-4-black-flag.html

FYI Kiev ported Ghost Recon Future Soldier to PC, or Assassin's Creed III. While they fixed a number of issues with GR they never did anything to make sure that AC3 on PC used every GPU power at its disposal. My 3770/GTX670 combo barely did the job for 1080p/60fps.

I will let you guys draw your own conclusions but safe to say that we can look forward to a very, very demanding game and not for good reasons.

The quote the threader made is false. The link he gave says: "Ubisoft Kiev Ukrainian studio based on Kiev, is once again in the frontlines of the PC version of the game, developing both the single player and the multplayer experience for the PC players".
The person creating this thread is either trolling or read a false translation of the text. Either way, the game is developed with the PC as lead platform, therefore there is no subject of porting. Ubisoft Kiev is probably doing the optimization and the partnerships with Nvidia and AMD, which nevertheless is a bad thing by itself.

Kawatta-kun
06-28-2013, 06:35 PM
I just hope this time it is a GOOD optimization. My PC itself is a good machine and if games are well optimized it can play pretty much everything. But in AC3 multplayer is lagg'ier than in AC:R, but playing the AC3 single campaign seems pretty fine. Some people have the same problem but regarding the main campaign, and having multiplayer just fine.

GuZZ33
06-28-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm not too concerned about that, it's Uplay I can't abide sometimes, how can this client at random decide to ban you for no real legitimate reason?, always the fkg same for the legit and honest customer who pays for software usage and then gets a kick in the head over it simply this time around for Uplay decides to Noplay. Makes me angry that, meanwhile down at the pirate bay lifes a beach and lets set sale on the oceans of piracy, huh, for the waters fare well for us pirates. Sheesh Uplay get it together or do one.

marcoolio_lv
06-30-2013, 10:08 AM
They have confirmed that the worst has happened. Kiev studio should never be allowed to touch any game! I already knew this is going to happen so I didn't even bother to preorder. If the optimisation turns out good, I'll buy it, but only when it's 5-7 GBP.

LambertoKevlar
06-30-2013, 10:12 AM
oh my god...ubisoft kiev again no...these incompetent jerks will ruin another game.

bolz87
07-01-2013, 12:12 PM
oh my god...ubisoft kiev again no...these incompetent jerks will ruin another game.
Magari stavolta sarÓ diverso, oppure no, meglio non rischiare XD

Mr_Shade
07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Can I remind people that insulting members of Ubisoft - as it is for any member of the forums, is against the rules.

By all means voice concerns or worries, but the name calling will only result in the thread being locked and people warned.

spectatorx
07-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Shade, we do not insult ubisoft Kiev members, we just suggest to ubisoft they should shut down ubisoft Kiev and fire employees of this division. This will be good thing for PC gamers and ubisoft itself.

Same here, no pre-order until will try the game and if these people will do the same failure as they did with ac3 so i will not buy this game at all and probably that's what gonna happen.

BlastThyName
07-01-2013, 02:09 PM
There are reasons to be slightly more optimistic : Ubisoft Kiev has a lot of experience with the AnvilNext engine, and considering the similarities in architecture between the PS4/XB1 and a gaming PC we can hope for better optimization.

If they have enough time on their hands they will be able to put more efforts into the PC version.

AherasSTRG
07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
shut down ubisoft Kiev and fire employees of this division
You are being too harsh on them. They also made the porting of ACR, which was not perfect, but quite good.

AherasSTRG
07-02-2013, 10:42 AM
There are reasons to be slightly more optimistic : Ubisoft Kiev has a lot of experience with the AnvilNext engine, and considering the similarities in architecture between the PS4/XB1 and a gaming PC we can hope for better optimization.

If they have enough time on their hands they will be able to put more efforts into the PC version.
Agreed

Dome500
07-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Lol the guys who made the PC port of GRFS?

*double-facepalm* Joke? oO

Hopes going down......

BlastThyName
07-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Lol the guys who made the PC port of GRFS?

*double-facepalm* Joke? oO

Hopes going down......

Come on, I was a little bit dismayed by this news myself but there are variables we don't know : how much time and ressources did they allocate to the Future Soldier port ? That's the key factor we have to consider. Of course given that it's an atrocious port I'd venture a guess and say that they were busy porting ACIII on PC within the same timeframe.

I by no means want everyone to believe that Ubisoft Kiev are not capable of delivering a solid PC version, I firmly believe they can.
My point is : don't immediately assume the PC version will suck because Kiev are in charge of it, I would have loved Ubi Montreal to do it (Far Cry 3 was fantastic on PC) but there is still hope.
I will wait until I have my hands on the PC SKU but we can already expect some optimization problems.

Given the visuals of the game (if the gameplay trailers are anything to go by) then it's going to require a fair ammount of horsepower to push those graphics at 1080p/max settings.
Hey, some people think I'm insane when I claim that it will take a GTX680/Radeon 7970 to do so but I think I'll be proven right once the game releases on November 21st.

marcoolio_lv
07-02-2013, 02:07 PM
My point is : don't immediately assume the PC version will suck because Kiev are in charge of it

Oh, I will! I have no reason not to! Every game they ported had problems. I had to manually force ACR to use only one core, because it crashed in certain places. I played the game 3 months after release and the issue was still there, Ghost Recon was such a failure - can't use mouse and keyboard (REALLY?), poor performance, crashes all the time. It's almost a year old and MP is barely playable for most people. AC3 is a failure as well. Game that struggles to maintain 60fps on a high end machine, is a insanely bad port. They are "aware of the problem" but don't give a s**t about it. They have proven it! As far as I know, they are going to f-up another game. And I have a crapload of proof to back it all up.

They said that AC3 will be a good port "Same studio, different people" Just as useless I would add!

I forgave them so many times, and they failed me time after time. I have a perfectly good reason to assume this game will be no different and I will not waste my money on it or any game ported by Kiev studio. I bought Collector's Editions for both AC games - I paid extra for crap. NO MORE!

I'd love to be wrong. And even if I will, I'll buy it only when it's dirt cheap.

BlastThyName
07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Oh, I will! I have no reason not to! Every game they ported had problems. I had to manually force ACR to use only one core, because it crashed in certain places. I played the game 3 months after release and the issue was still there, Ghost Recon was such a failure - can't use mouse and keyboard (REALLY?), poor performance, crashes all the time. It's almost a year old and MP is barely playable for most people. AC3 is a failure as well. Game that struggles to maintain 60fps on a high end machine, is a insanely bad port. They are "aware of the problem" but don't give a s**t about it. They have proven it! As far as I know, they are going to f-up another game. And I have a crapload of proof to back it all up.

They said that AC3 will be a good port "Same studio, different people" Just as useless I would add!

I forgave them so many times, and they failed me time after time. I have a perfectly good reason to assume this game will be no different and I will not waste my money on it or any game ported by Kiev studio. I bought Collector's Editions for both AC games - I paid extra for crap. NO MORE!

I'd love to be wrong. And even if I will, I'll buy it only when it's dirt cheap.

Fair enough, you have your reasons.
As far as I'm concerned I did not buy Ghost Recon FS on PC (played on 360) but I heard a lot of bad things regarding the PC port, I bought all AC games on PC and Revelations while suffering from poor CPU usage in some places was a very decent PC version. It looked good (but not any better than the 360/PS3 technically) and performed rather well (beefy CPU required).
Assassin's Creed III was a little bit more problematic as my GC was not used as it should, the game is heavily CPU limited and I don't understand why. I experienced framerate drops in Boston and the Frontier on a stock I7 3770. Nothing too distracting but it was there, I greatly appreciate how good the game looked at max settings, tessellation in the snow and the water, high-res textures and a fantastic ambient occlusion tech.

See, my experiences were not as sour with Revelations and III, I can understand the concerns (as I have expressed them myself) but I'm still confident they will be able to deliver.
Assassin's Creed is a big franchise even on PC, Ubisoft would be wise to make sure the PC versions are decently handled.
I like to believe that the work done on the PS4/XB1 versions will benefit the PC, even though PCs don't have UMA.

YazX_
07-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Guys chill, Ubisoft Kiev doesnt optimize games, they just port it to PC, so if the code they received is optimized for consoles, they port it to PC without any optimizations and even when optimizing it with the limited time they have, its not going to do alot of a difference.

now, next gen consoles are x86 PCs. so when porting any game based on that coding, the game will be optimized out of the box, just few stuff to support like K/M and bugs to fix. so i guess this one is going to be very good port.

so wait for it and dont jump into conclusions.

IMO, Ubisoft should shed some light on this issue, give more detailed info about PC version, as this is a serious concern for everyone.

BlastThyName
07-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Guys chill, Ubisoft Kiev doesnt optimize games, they just port it to PC, so if the code they received is optimized for consoles, they port it to PC without any optimizations and even when optimizing it with the limited time they have, its not going to do alot of a difference.
Unfortunately that's likely.

now, next gen consoles are x86 PCs. so when porting any game based on that coding, the game will be optimized out of the box, just few stuff to support like K/M and bugs to fix. so i guess this one is going to be very good port.
You are way oversimplifying things, PS4/XB1 are HSA powered and have unified memory, PCs don't have that luxury so serious optimization work will still need to be made.
And what do you make of the very thick API on PC ?
I see that too many people are fooled by the "next-gen consoles are X86 so PC port are going to be perfect !", I'm not talking about you specifically but I foresee many disappointments in the upcoming generation.
Sure X86 in those consoles can't hurt but it won't magically make PC ports easier, if Ubisoft does not allocate sufficient ressources to them then they will still suck, perhaps a little bit less though.

IMO, Ubisoft should shed some light on this issue, give more detailed info about PC version, as this is a serious concern for everyone.
Ubisoft's bread and butter is not the PC it has been clear for a very long time.
They care about the PC only to the extent of releasing PC versions, that's as far as they are willing to go.

Haha I remember them saying that they wanted to "improve" their relationship with the PC crowd.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ubisoft-wants-to-improve-relationship-with-pc-gamers-6404347

But hey it's not as if we believed them in the first place.

Ferrith
07-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Haha I remember them saying that they wanted to "improve" their relationship with the PC crowd.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ubisoft-wants-to-improve-relationship-with-pc-gamers-6404347

So now they want to improve their relationship with "pirates and scallywags"? Tsk, tsk.
O tempora! o mores!

http://www.kbmod.com/2011/11/ubisoft-pc-full-of-pirates-and-scallywags/
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-08-22-guillemot-as-many-pc-players-pay-for-f2p-as-boxed-product

YazX_
07-08-2013, 11:22 PM
You are way oversimplifying things, PS4/XB1 are HSA powered and have unified memory, PCs don't have that luxury so serious optimization work will still need to be made.
And what do you make of the very thick API on PC ?
I see that too many people are fooled by the "next-gen consoles are X86 so PC port are going to be perfect !", I'm not talking about you specifically but I foresee many disappointments in the upcoming generation.
Sure X86 in those consoles can't hurt but it won't magically make PC ports easier, if Ubisoft does not allocate sufficient ressources to them then they will still suck, perhaps a little bit less though.

my point is, the code coming from next gen consoles will be alot better than the current ports we are getting from the current gen. im not over simplifying anything, but next gen consoles are basically PCs, yah they got shared memory , so what?! thats the O.S job to allocate resources for the current executed code, Xbox1 has Windows 8 kernel , and both consoles will support DirectX 11 out of the box, so its all about the CODE, code is 100% PC compatible.

the only major optimization problem i saw in AC3 is CPU utilization, AC3 is heavily dependent on CPU and unfortunately it utilizes only 1 core and thats the problem that everyone is complaining about especially with AMD CPUs. so next gen consoles and PC have the same CPU architecture, the code will aim to utilize all CPU cores in addition to utilizing GPU more to be less CPU dependent, so no performance downgrade.

about GRFS, from what i have seen, the game itself runs bad on consoles, so how about PC port?!

at the end of the day, noone can be certain of anything including myself until the game gets released.

Personally, i had no problems with AC3 running on one core although i have i7 3770k same as yours but unlocked and overclocked, but mostly AMD owners who suffered alot from the FPS drops.

I'm not defending Ubisoft or anything, ppl experienced alot through the past years and their ported games, but ports from next gen consoles look promising and i really hope i wont get disappointed.

BlastThyName
07-09-2013, 09:51 PM
PCs with shared memory and HSA are vastly different from the one I'm typing this post from. There is no denying that the PS4/XB1 will punch waaaaay above their weights in actual gaming performance just like the 360 and the PS3 in fact. The thing is don't expect a PC port to run much better than the average we have now just because the consoles are X86 based, I already gave you two arguments to support this : the API which is significantly thicker on PC, the XB1 uses a lighter and faster version and I have no idea where you read that the PS4 used DX, it uses LibGCM. Secondly, what you seem to forget is that whether or not the possibility is there is irrelevant : a good PC job boils down to ressources and time. If Ubisoft don't allocate sufficient ressources then guess what ? AC6 port will be average at best.

PCs will have the advantage but not a PC similarly specced to a PS4 or XB1. It remains to be seen how PC ports are going to overcome the PCI latency as well.

My safe bet is the following : you want to play on PC at PS4 settings ? A GTX 670 is the minimum I would recommend and it won't even last for long because of its low amount of VRAM.

It's crazy how people make the same mistake of dramatically underestimating the hardware in those consoles, in 2005/2006 PC only guys were claiming that PCs would rival next-gen consoles without breaking a sweat, yeah we know how that turned out.
And there are no reasons to believe it will be any different this time, I think PC folks are going to be bitterly surprised when the first wave of cross-gen games hits, I reckon Black Flag or Watch Dogs are going to be far more taxing than anticipated. Of course if you have very high end stuff (Titan or SLI) there is nothing to worry about for a few years but don't forget that the whole R&D is done on consoles, PC is an afterthought that hurts but that's the truth.

rrmartinezdl
07-11-2013, 05:32 PM
are they charging again $50 for this piece of garbage? if its like ac3, OH BOY! why do they even charge $50 for ac on pc? its a ****ING PORT, they had nothing to do with story or **** its already done, all you do is copy -translate- paste, cant get about how ******ed ubisfot is.

AherasSTRG
07-11-2013, 10:10 PM
are they charging again $50 for this piece of garbage? if its like ac3, OH BOY! why do they even charge $50 for ac on pc? its a ****ING PORT, they had nothing to do with story or **** its already done, all you do is copy -translate- paste, cant get about how ******ed ubisfot is.
Oh, chill out, dude. All of us got ****ed up by that piece of **** optimization, but, you ought to relax. It won't do you any good to have that attitude. That way, you might even lose interest in potentially good games that are going to be well optimized. If that's the case, you might regret saying those things about this game. And if it is not the case, you do not earn anything by being so aggressive. The key is to not care much: when it comes out, read the reviews and FPS tests and then you decide, with no pressure.

YazX_
07-12-2013, 10:33 AM
PCs with shared memory and HSA are vastly different from the one I'm typing this post from. There is no denying that the PS4/XB1 will punch waaaaay above their weights in actual gaming performance just like the 360 and the PS3 in fact. The thing is don't expect a PC port to run much better than the average we have now just because the consoles are X86 based, I already gave you two arguments to support this : the API which is significantly thicker on PC, the XB1 uses a lighter and faster version and I have no idea where you read that the PS4 used DX, it uses LibGCM. Secondly, what you seem to forget is that whether or not the possibility is there is irrelevant : a good PC job boils down to ressources and time. If Ubisoft don't allocate sufficient ressources then guess what ? AC6 port will be average at best.

PCs will have the advantage but not a PC similarly specced to a PS4 or XB1. It remains to be seen how PC ports are going to overcome the PCI latency as well.

My safe bet is the following : you want to play on PC at PS4 settings ? A GTX 670 is the minimum I would recommend and it won't even last for long because of its low amount of VRAM.

It's crazy how people make the same mistake of dramatically underestimating the hardware in those consoles, in 2005/2006 PC only guys were claiming that PCs would rival next-gen consoles without breaking a sweat, yeah we know how that turned out.
And there are no reasons to believe it will be any different this time, I think PC folks are going to be bitterly surprised when the first wave of cross-gen games hits, I reckon Black Flag or Watch Dogs are going to be far more taxing than anticipated. Of course if you have very high end stuff (Titan or SLI) there is nothing to worry about for a few years but don't forget that the whole R&D is done on consoles, PC is an afterthought that hurts but that's the truth.

Yes i agree with you, and im not trying to show you the opposite based on Ubisoft history on porting games to PC, i would say this will be 100% not optimized, but just lets be optimistic a little bit, it wont cost us anything, just dont pre-order if anyone is skeptic, once the game is released, all will be revealed

About PS4 and DirectX 11, sorry i meant Xbox1 not PS4.

BlastThyName
07-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Yes i agree with you, and im not trying to show you the opposite based on Ubisoft history on porting games to PC, i would say this will be 100% not optimized, but just lets be optimistic a little bit, it wont cost us anything, just dont pre-order if anyone is skeptic, once the game is released, all will be revealed

About PS4 and DirectX 11, sorry i meant Xbox1 not PS4.

It will cost Ubisoft something though. Do you think PC ports are that cheap ? No they aren't.
Testing on a wide range of machines, developping graphical features, optimizing....I bet a well rounded PC port must cost around 1 million.
That's not a awful lot but it's not neglectable either.

Will the sales offset those costs ? I don't know.
Should Ubisoft try a little bit harder ? Most definitely.

But as I've already stated I don't believe we are looking forward to an utter disaster regarding AC4 and Watch_Dogs on PC, I bet the PC versions of those games will turn out way better than previously thought.
I can't complain about the negativity because I was the one stressing the fact that AC4 ported by Kiev was not the greatest news ever, anyway I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

rrmartinezdl
07-20-2013, 03:00 AM
I already gave them the benefit of the doublt and they ****ed up HARD. I will have the benefit of the doubt now, i will try your game FIRST, and if i like it THEN I will buy it.

#DealWithIt