PDA

View Full Version : 'Victorian London' Setting for possible Assassin's Creed used for 'The Order: 1886'?

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Would you still like to see an AC game in Victorian London...? Or a different setting...?

Well, I'm not sure if anyone has talked about this, but... here goes! :)

What does everyone think of 'The Order: 1886'?

I don't really know much about it, apart from it's for the PS4 and it's set in Victorian London, which made me notice it. ^^

Before ACIV: Black Flag

Before AC IV: Black Flag was announced there was a lot of discussion about which historical settings people wanted for the next Assassin's Creed game. Victorian London was quite a popular choice, and discussed on many websites. Here's two: :)

PlayStation Universe (2013) 'Why Assassin's Creed needs to visit Victorian London'
Available at: http://www.psu.com/a018480/Why-Assassins-Creed-needs-to-visit-Victorian-London?page=0

Unleash The Fanboy (2012) 'Top 5 Locations for Assassin's Creed 4'
http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/video-games/top-5-locations-for-assassins-creed-4/33361

Before AC III

Victorian London was also, apparently, considered as a choice in an Ubisoft Survey before AC III... Wait a minute...

What...?? No...how could they...? ... I mean... I am so glad they stuck to their guns and made AC III!! XD

Back to the topic at hand ^_~ ... Eight location options were listed in the survey, and mentioned in the article below, but underneath I've listed them for you:

PC Gamer (2011) 'Assassin’s Creed survey lists possible settings for future titles' Available at:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/28/assassins-creed-survey-lists-possible-settings-for-future-titles/

Then for your convenience :) these included the following:

1. 'The violent conflicts of the Imperial Dynasties in Medieval China'

2. 'The advent of the mighty British Empire during Victorian England'

3. 'The culmination of the Pharaoh Reign in Ancient Egypt'

4. 'The invasion of the Americas by the Spanish Conquistadors'

5. 'The confrontation between British colonists and native Americans during The American Revolution' ~ The origin's of AC III! XD

6. 'The overthrow of the Tsar Empire by the Communists during the Russian Revolution'

7. 'The Warlord Battles in Feudal Japan'

8. 'The rise of Cesar’s Empire in Ancient Rome'

Then it made me wonder... is that why Victorian London was the setting chosen for 'The Order 1886'...? Was it an attempt to beat Ubisoft...? Heehee... just speculation... and of course, I love history regardless and for me it all depends on the game :) and it shouldn't be too scary though! o_0;

Anyway, here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJOe1EPJG9A&feature=player_embedded

Original Source Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RJOe1EPJG9A

Anyway, would 'Victorian London' still be a possible Assassin's Creed setting for you? :) Or do some of the other settings take your fancy? ^_~

Assassin_M
06-28-2013, 08:23 AM
They stole my final semester game project :|

Mine didn't have zombies, though....I`m loving the idea of the setting and altered technological advancements...dunno why it had to have zombies, though..it has enough to spark interest, it didn't need zombies imo

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 08:40 AM

Mine didn't have zombies, though....I`m loving the idea of the setting and altered technological advancements...dunno why it had to have zombies, though..it has enough to spark interest, it didn't need zombies imo

Oh... that is so unfair Assassin_M! I feel your pain. Please don't worry though, and I'm sure you have plenty more good ideas! ^_~

As for 'The Order: 1886'... They are ZOMBIES!?? o_0; Why...? Why do zombies end up everywhere...? I was hoping they might be some kind of alien race due to the technology they have, but... ZOMBIES...?

I'm scared Assassin_M!

captin_qwark7
06-28-2013, 08:41 AM
I dislike the idea of Jack the Ripper and other phenomenon, they're turning AC into X-Files.

Jexx21
06-28-2013, 08:43 AM
I don't think AC will be set in Victorian London for a while honestly, if it ever is.

Assassin_M
06-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Oh... that is so unfair Assassin_M! I feel your pain. Please don't worry though, and I'm sure you have plenty more good ideas! ^_~

As for 'The Order: 1886'... They are ZOMBIES!?? o_0; Why...? Why do zombies end up everywhere...? I was hoping they might be some kind of alien race due to the technology they have, but... ZOMBIES...?

I'm scared Assassin_M!
Well they`re described as "inhuman" enemies...meh...just like LoU`s infected...slap a different name and poof..not zombies, but enough about that...I`m looking out for it..mainly because it`s not a FPS..too many FPS these days...if it`s open world, it`ll be a plus...interesting premise and take on history

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 08:46 AM
I dislike the idea of Jack the Ripper and other phenomenon, they're turning AC into X-Files.

I agree with you on 'Jack the Ripper'. Too scary for me! 0_0;

The X-Files, though... What part of AC do you think is like the X-Files...? ^^'

captin_qwark7
06-28-2013, 08:53 AM
In AC III there were side missions with the Frontiersmen involving 'supernatural phenomenon' that you had to investigate. I enjoyed them, however I don't think they should be a constant to the AC series as it feels similar to the X-Files.
Otherwise, Victorian London would definitely be a picturesque setting but I'd still prefer locations set farther back in time, when guns were less abundant, such as: Ancient Rome/Greece, British Raj, Feudal Japan etc.

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Well they`re described as "inhuman" enemies...meh...just like LoU`s infected...slap a different name and poof..not zombies, but enough about that...I`m looking out for it..mainly because it`s not a FPS..too many FPS these days...if it`s open world, it`ll be a plus...interesting premise and take on history

"Inhuman enemies"? Sounds much better than zombies already! :) I do prefer Third-person, and I agree, how they use the historical period will be very interesting.^_^ Also, their representation of London looks great! xD

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 09:08 AM
In AC III there were side missions with the Frontiersmen involving 'supernatural phenomenon' that you had to investigate. I enjoyed them, however I don't think they should be a constant to the AC series as it feels similar to the X-Files.
Otherwise, Victorian London would definitely be a picturesque setting but I'd still prefer locations set farther back in time, when guns were less abundant, such as: Ancient Rome/Greece, British Raj, Feudal Japan etc.

I remember. Then you are referring to, for example, 'the headless horseman'...? I thought that was a bit strange too. And I really didn't like X-Files. >_< Besides, in terms of AC, I think most would agree that history is the most important element.

I love the idea of Ancient Rome! xD Then we'd have gladiators like 'Maximus'! ^_~ Roman history is so interesting and there's a lot of things they could cover. Then, we could still have the naval battles too. They could even focus on Cleopatra, and she was assassinated by Amunet with the asp. Then we could have some of it set in Ancient Rome and Egypt!! xD

Also, the battles would be really cool! :) I can imagine the Assassin protagonist hiding within the Roman Legions' tortoise formations and surprising the enemy. Then this setting has great potential for stealth scenarios. Also, they could have a chariot race too!!

As for the Colosseum, it will be restored to its former glory! ^_~

LoyalACFan
06-28-2013, 09:18 AM
That poll was posted in November 2011, meaning AC3 was already halfway done, I dunno why they added Revolutionary America as an option, unless it was to keep people from guessing that it was the setting in development just because it was conspicuously absent from the list.

But I'd love a Victorian England AC game, and all the others on that list sound awesome too (aside from the Russian Revolution, been there done that with Nikolai). I really don't care about the Bureau 1886 game, I'm totally burnt out on zombies/aliens/infected/inhuman enemies/whatever the hell they're calling them.

Well they`re described as "inhuman" enemies...meh...just like LoU`s infected...slap a different name and poof..not zombies

This so much. I had a LOU fanboy ripping my throat out on another message board because I called it a zombie game... "ZOMG, they're INFECTED, it's totally different...!" ROFL. It is a great game though.

Assassin_M
06-28-2013, 09:20 AM
This so much. I had a LOU fanboy ripping my throat out on another message board because I called it a zombie game... "ZOMG, they're INFECTED, it's totally different...!" ROFL. It is a great game though.
Saw those too..dude, there`s nothing wrong with zombies...not like I`m degrading it by calling them zombies and I kept telling him..buddy, I think this is a great game...it`s so far my goty..nope,,nope..not listening :|

pacmanate
06-28-2013, 09:33 AM

I dont think they are zombies... Mutants or Aliens I thought

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 09:55 AM
I dont think they are zombies... Mutants or Aliens I thought

I thought so too :) I think we've agreed on "inhuman"! LOL Then it depends on your definition. ^_^

Anyway, I found another article which gives slightly more information about 'The Order: 1886', describing it as:

"... set in a Steampunk London alternate history 40 years after the Industrial Revolution and would see you interacting with several real-world historical figures ala the Assassin's Creed series." (Wesley Yin-Poole, Eurogamer, 25 June 2013)

Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-25-ps4-exclusive-the-order-1886-is-a-linear-third-person-action-adventure-with-shooting-mechanics

Then... are we their target audience...? :)

pacmanate
06-28-2013, 10:21 AM
I thought so too :) I think we've agreed on "inhuman"! LOL Then it depends on your definition. ^_^

Anyway, I found another article which gives slightly more information about 'The Order: 1886', describing it as:

"... set in a Steampunk London alternate history 40 years after the Industrial Revolution and would see you interacting with several real-world historical figures ala the Assassin's Creed series." (Wesley Yin-Poole, Eurogamer, 25 June 2013)

Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-25-ps4-exclusive-the-order-1886-is-a-linear-third-person-action-adventure-with-shooting-mechanics

Then... are we their target audience...? :)

Depends... maybe location wise, but gameplay wise? I doubt there is parkour and isn't this a shooter?

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Depends... maybe location wise, but gameplay wise? I doubt there is parkour and isn't this a shooter?

They have described it as a: 'linear third-person action adventure with shooting mechanics'! Whatever that means :) Hmm... Maybe they're going to make it like Uncharted...?? ^_~

pacmanate
06-28-2013, 10:40 AM
They have described it as a: 'linear third-person action adventure with shooting mechanics'! Whatever that means :) Hmm... Maybe they're going to make it like Uncharted...?? ^_~

Maybe, it has potential then. I always find linear games have better narratives and it seems more focused so maybe it will be like an uncharted

silvermercy
06-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Maybe, it has potential then. I always find linear games have better narratives and it seems more focused so maybe it will be like an uncharted

Ah here he is again at 1:25... Charles Lee. XD

I had a "Jack the Ripper walking tour" once in London where we visited all the killing sites. It was after dark, it was drizzling and the guide was holding a traditional street light . It was AWESOME! (We also saw an abandoned stolen bag in a dark alley and thought it was part of the tour. It wasn't. We called the police.)

Anyway, can't wait for this game. The setting and darkness appeals to me. Has a Dishonored feeling as well, so I think I'll like it.

As for the zombies... We had Dr Jekyll and Hyde. Why not... lol

pacmanate
06-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Ah here he is again at 1:25... Charles Lee. XD

I had a "Jack the Ripper walking tour" once in London where we visited all the killing sites. It was after dark, it was drizzling and the guide was holding a traditional street light . It was AWESOME! (We also saw an abandoned stolen bag in a dark alley and thought it was part of the tour. It wasn't. We called the police.)

Anyway, can't wait for this game. The setting and darkness appeals to me. Has a Dishonored feeling as well, so I think I'll like it.

I want an AC game in London purely for Jack the Ripper. Maybe make him be a psycho templar that just cuts his victims up. I think it could be awesome and a really dark AC game than usual. Having a really grim setting for AC could revitalise it in a weird way.

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Ah here he is again at 1:25... Charles Lee. XD...

... Anyway, can't wait for this game. The setting and darkness appeals to me. Has a Dishonored feeling as well, so I think I'll like it.

Charles Lee! LOL I can see the resemblance :p

Maybe they will make references to Sherlock Holmes as well, and Sir Conan Arthur Doyle would have been in his late 20's.

Regarding zombies... a lot of people also seem to be hoping for 'werewolves' or... zombie werewolves:confused:

Jexx21
06-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I want an AC game in London purely for Jack the Ripper. Maybe make him be a psycho templar that just cuts his victims up. I think it could be awesome and a really dark AC game than usual. Having a really grim setting for AC could revitalise it in a weird way.
There was an AC3 MP character based off of Jack the Ripper. He was called "The Nightstalker," and his moniker was Joe, after one of his victims screamed Joe before being killed. The Nightstalker turned out to be an Assassin.

ze_topazio
06-28-2013, 07:13 PM
they could have a chariot race too!!

http://www.jamspreader.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg

Rugterwyper32
06-28-2013, 09:30 PM
I would much prefer Tudor or Elizabethian Era to the Victorian Era (I feel I'm among the few). Elizabethian Era could work even better after reading up on it (and it could be connected to the 30 years war somehow I WANT THE 30 YEARS WAR). But yeah, what about Elizabethian Era?

"The Elizabethan Age was also an age of plots and conspiracies, frequently political in nature and often involving the highest levels of Elizabethan society. High officials in Madrid, Paris and Rome sought to kill Elizabeth, a Protestant, and replace her with Mary, Queen of Scots, a Catholic. That would be a prelude to the religious recovery of England for Catholicism. In 1570, the Ridolfi plot was thwarted. In 1584, the Throckmorton Plot was discovered, after Francis Throckmorton confessed his involvement in a plot to overthrow the Queen and restore the Catholic Church in England. Another major conspiracy was the Babington Plot – the event which most directly led to Mary's execution, the discovery of which involved a double agent Gilbert Gifford acting under the direction of Francis Walsingham, the Queen's highly effective spy master.

The Essex Rebellion of 1601 has a dramatic element as just before the uprising, supporters of the Earl of Essex, among them Charles and Joscelyn Percy (younger brothers of the Earl of Northumberland), paid for a performance of Richard II at the Globe Theatre, apparently with the goal of stirring public ill will towards the monarchy. It was reported at the trial of Essex by Chamberlain's Men actor Augustine Phillips, the conspirators paid the company forty shillings "above the ordinary" (i. e., above their usual rate) to stage the play, which the players felt was too old and "out of use" to attract a large audience.

In the Bye Plot of 1603, two Catholic priests planned to kidnap King James and hold him in the Tower of London until he agreed to be more tolerant towards Catholics. Most dramatic was the 1605 Gunpowder Plot to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of Parliament. It was discovered in time with eight conspirators executed, including Guy Fawkes, who became the iconic evil traitor in English lore."

Hey look Guy Fawkes is also there we have some pretty interesting figures. We've got William Shakespeare too, for instance. Considering the Nine Years War happened at that point, we could also have an Irish location while at that. And it's the perfect place for a female assassin, I should say.

"The role of women in society was, for the historical era, relatively unconstrained; Spanish and Italian visitors to England commented regularly, and sometimes caustically, on the freedom that women enjoyed in England, in contrast to their home cultures. England had more well-educated upper class women than was common anywhere in Europe."

So yeah, I think that, all things considered, it would be even better than Victorian England. In my opinion, at least. Oh yeah, here's London while at that. 13 years after the Elizabethan Era was over, but hey, it's not that much:

http://www.angl-am.uni-oldenburg.de/img/1616_london_by_claes_van_visscher.jpg

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Hey ze_topazio,

I don't understand what you mean...? Did I say something wrong...?

silvermercy
06-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Hey ze_topazio,

I don't understand what you mean...? Did I say something wrong...?
It's a famous meme image "shut up and take my money". It means he would pay lots of money if it happened.

ACfan443
06-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Ubisoft have said many times that their choice of setting is aimed to take fans by surprise, so based on that the Victorian era is ruled out completely (unless they change their approach on choosing settings), which is a sad considering I longed for that particular period the most - it's one of my favourites :)

LoyalACFan
06-28-2013, 10:41 PM
I would much prefer Tudor or Elizabethian Era to the Victorian Era (I feel I'm among the few). Elizabethian Era could work even better after reading up on it (and it could be connected to the 30 years war somehow I WANT THE 30 YEARS WAR). But yeah, what about Elizabethian Era?

"The Elizabethan Age was also an age of plots and conspiracies, frequently political in nature and often involving the highest levels of Elizabethan society. High officials in Madrid, Paris and Rome sought to kill Elizabeth, a Protestant, and replace her with Mary, Queen of Scots, a Catholic. That would be a prelude to the religious recovery of England for Catholicism. In 1570, the Ridolfi plot was thwarted. In 1584, the Throckmorton Plot was discovered, after Francis Throckmorton confessed his involvement in a plot to overthrow the Queen and restore the Catholic Church in England. Another major conspiracy was the Babington Plot – the event which most directly led to Mary's execution, the discovery of which involved a double agent Gilbert Gifford acting under the direction of Francis Walsingham, the Queen's highly effective spy master.

The Essex Rebellion of 1601 has a dramatic element as just before the uprising, supporters of the Earl of Essex, among them Charles and Joscelyn Percy (younger brothers of the Earl of Northumberland), paid for a performance of Richard II at the Globe Theatre, apparently with the goal of stirring public ill will towards the monarchy. It was reported at the trial of Essex by Chamberlain's Men actor Augustine Phillips, the conspirators paid the company forty shillings "above the ordinary" (i. e., above their usual rate) to stage the play, which the players felt was too old and "out of use" to attract a large audience.

In the Bye Plot of 1603, two Catholic priests planned to kidnap King James and hold him in the Tower of London until he agreed to be more tolerant towards Catholics. Most dramatic was the 1605 Gunpowder Plot to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of Parliament. It was discovered in time with eight conspirators executed, including Guy Fawkes, who became the iconic evil traitor in English lore."

Hey look Guy Fawkes is also there we have some pretty interesting figures. We've got William Shakespeare too, for instance. Considering the Nine Years War happened at that point, we could also have an Irish location while at that. And it's the perfect place for a female assassin, I should say.

"The role of women in society was, for the historical era, relatively unconstrained; Spanish and Italian visitors to England commented regularly, and sometimes caustically, on the freedom that women enjoyed in England, in contrast to their home cultures. England had more well-educated upper class women than was common anywhere in Europe."

So yeah, I think that, all things considered, it would be even better than Victorian England. In my opinion, at least. Oh yeah, here's London while at that. 13 years after the Elizabethan Era was over, but hey, it's not that much:

To be perfectly honest, I just want London. Elizabethan England would probably be better suited to an AC game, but if Victorian England is the way they're leaning, I'm fine with that too.

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 10:46 PM
It's a famous meme image "shut up and take my money". It means he would pay lots of money if it happened.

Thanks silvermercy! I was really worried for a moment... Thank you for explaining! xD

As for you, ze_topazio, ^_~ I'm glad someone else is interested in an Ancient Rome setting for Assassin's Creed too!! :)

silvermercy
06-28-2013, 10:59 PM
No prob ladyleonhart! ^^

Ubisoft have said many times that their choice of setting is aimed to take fans by surprise, so based on that the Victorian era is ruled out completely (unless they change their approach on choosing settings), which is a sad considering I longed for that particular period the most - it's one of my favourites :)
Yes, I was actually thinking about that. LOL What's a totally unexpected setting then? I vote Kazakhstan and Malawi.

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 11:08 PM

To be perfectly honest, I just want London. Elizabethan England would probably be better suited to an AC game...

I agree, London would be cool regardless! xD

As for 'Elizabethan England' there is so much to cover, and it will probably look much cleaner and brighter than Victorian England. ^^'

Yes, there are England's relations with the rest of Europe, and you shouldn't forget Philip II of Spain married Elizabeth I's sister, Mary I, who they called 'Bloody Mary' for her persecution of Protestants. Then there's the 'Spanish Armada' for the naval battles! xD

LintonMildone
06-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Can't believe most of you people forgotten that Assassin's Creed only takes place in historical eras that are rarely known to pop culture. If you do your research, Victorian London has been done to death thanks to Sherlock Holmes and the new "The Order" game, it's also the main reason why ubisoft will never make a game in Ancient Rome or Egypt do to us asking for it. Why else is AC4 taking place in the golden age of piracy? Because it's an era that we didn't ask for, the same reason why AC2 takes place in Renaissance Italy and AC3 in American revolution because Ubisoft wants to surprise us.

Rugterwyper32
06-28-2013, 11:13 PM
I agree, London would be cool regardless! xD

As for 'Elizabethan England' there is so much to cover, and it will probably look much cleaner and brighter than Victorian England. ^^'

Yes, there are England's relations with the rest of Europe, and you shouldn't forget Philip II of Spain married Elizabeth I's sister, Mary I, who they called 'Bloody Mary' for her persecution of Protestants. Then there's the 'Spanish Armada' for the naval battles! xD

You also have the Second Desmond Rebellion and the Nine Years War going on in Ireland, which could make for something interesting. Have naval for the battles at sea, transport between England and Ireland, and have a few locations in Ireland (Dublin and Cork, I'm thinking). I think there's a lot of potential there.

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 11:13 PM
No prob ladyleonhart! ^^

Yes, I was actually thinking about that. LOL What's a totally unexpected setting then? I vote Kazakhstan and Malawi.

Slightly off topic, but maybe others are learning from Ubisoft, and that's why the new MGS is set in Afghanistan. ^^'

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Can't believe most of you people forgotten that Assassin's Creed only takes place in historical eras that are rarely known to pop culture. If you do your research, Victorian London has been done to death thanks to Sherlock Holmes and the new "The Order" game, it's also the main reason why ubisoft will never make a game in Ancient Rome or Egypt do to us asking for it. Why else is AC4 taking place in the golden age of piracy? Because it's an era that we didn't ask for, the same reason why AC2 takes place in Renaissance Italy and AC3 in American revolution because Ubisoft wants to surprise us.

I understand what you are saying, but I knew about Renaissance Italy because I studied it! xD Also, I'm sure there are many other people who also knew about it before they played Assassin's Creed II! :) Those who didn't, then they learnt something new!

ladyleonhart
06-28-2013, 11:31 PM
You also have the Second Desmond Rebellion and the Nine Years War going on in Ireland, which could make for something interesting. Have naval for the battles at sea, transport between England and Ireland, and have a few locations in Ireland (Dublin and Cork, I'm thinking). I think there's a lot of potential there.

I agree... and WOW! xD You sure know your history, Rugterwyper32! :) Maybe Ubisoft should hire you as a history consultant! ^_^ Then the game will be amazing!!

Rugterwyper32
06-28-2013, 11:32 PM
I understand what you are saying, but I knew about Renaissance Italy because I studied it! xD Also, I'm sure there are many other people who also knew about it before they played Assassin's Creed II! :) Those who didn't, then they learnt something new!

That is true. Though it also broke all sorts of expectations. Everyone was convinced AC3 would be set in the French Revolution, for instance, and they were caught completely off-guard by the American Revolution.

I'm thinking I'll make an in-depth post on locations for the Elizabethan Era, but that'll be once I have eaten. Because I enjoy making those sorts of posts.

LoyalACFan
06-29-2013, 12:19 AM

Yes, because pirates and the American Revolution have never been touched by pop culture... :rolleyes:

And the American Revolution was actually one of the most expected settings for AC3 after the French Rev.

Gi1t
06-29-2013, 12:20 AM
Well they`re described as "inhuman" enemies...meh...just like LoU`s infected...slap a different name and poof..not zombies,

Yeah, then they can try to tell me Faize isn't an elf. XD I actually refer to any race that's obviously elves but are called something else "Not-Elves".

I never liked zombies, though. In Resident Evil I always go stright for the big, nasty enemies because they're a lot more fun than the slow, pathetic dime-a-dozen zombies. XD

Maybe they will make references to Sherlock Holmes as well, and Sir Conan Arthur Doyle would have been in his late 20's.

Remember, under no circumstances must you venture out onto the moor at night! XD

Soulid_Snake
06-29-2013, 12:36 AM

M, what you studying?

Rugterwyper32
06-29-2013, 12:48 AM
I agree... and WOW! xD You sure know your history, Rugterwyper32! :) Maybe Ubisoft should hire you as a history consultant! ^_^ Then the game will be amazing!!

It's more that I'm a music student who spends a big part of his free time reading up on history of multiple places for no good reason whatsoever, but thanks! They probably have much better people for that, but hey.
I'll bring up my post regarding Elizabethan Era on the other topic I've posted ideas on, so I'll bring that back to not clutter this up and leave discussion be. But I'll add to the other part of this topic I haven't commented on: I'm interested in The Order 1886, myself. From what they've said, it'll have some things more advanced than others, and if it's open world, I'm all for it. I'm interested in a PS4, you have a chance to bring an awesome game here, Sony. Show me there's a good reason for me to be interested.

ze_topazio
06-29-2013, 01:11 AM
Thanks silvermercy! I was really worried for a moment... Thank you for explaining! xD

As for you, ze_topazio, ^_~ I'm glad someone else is interested in an Ancient Rome setting for Assassin's Creed too!! :)

Yup, it's what silvermercy said, i have always been fascinated with the Roman empire and i would pay good money to wander the streets of imperial Rome.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4O316o8e4tg/TyTDJIrjT7I/AAAAAAAAAr0/NV537wW8sEI/s1600/anonymous06.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rn4xMPrQtWw/TrYyysZ933I/AAAAAAAAAko/MzdYdv2c5Ls/s1600/article-2040042-0E04B75E00000578-205_634x286.jpg
http://billdesowitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/anonymous01a_LondonBridge-final.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3SWw5AlQQNk/TrYzAUyRLMI/AAAAAAAAAkw/-3yshj8YyWw/s1600/article-2040042-0E04B5AF00000578-192_634x286.jpg
http://www.gregstrasz.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/anonymous-vfx-art-direction/2011-anonymous-001.jpg
http://www.philiphartmann.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Anonymous_0005.jpg

They want to surprise people, but only with settings that are very well known, Crusades, Renaissance, American Revolution and Caribbean Pirates, who have never heard of this time periods? i would like to see them use a godforsaken country like Portugal as a setting, if they ever do it i might believe that.

Rugterwyper32
06-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Yup, it's what silvermercy said, i have always been fascinated with the Roman empire and i would pay good money to wander the streets of imperial Rome.

-lots of amazing images-

They want to surprise people, but only with settings that are very well known, Crusades, Renaissance, American Revolution and Caribbean Pirates, who have never heard of this time periods? i would like to see them use a godforsaken country like Portugal as a setting, if they ever do it i might believe that.

Imperial Rome, Carthage, Cleopatra Era Alexandria... Wouldn't that be amazing. I honestly would love a good game based on that (screw Ryse for the Xbox One, doesn't look good and you can't even fail QTEs from all I've read. No difficulty at all. Not even fake difficulty).
Great findings with all those pics. I can imagine that would be one hell of a location.
Admittedly, while most people have heard of those periods, they aren't usually represented in ways this series does. But I'd still love to see them going to all sorts of places. Portugal, as you mention. Non-stereotypical South America (I posted an idea for colonial South America on the other topic). I still want a Thirty Years' War game one day. There's lots they could do, all over the place. I wouldn't even mind if they decided to surprise me with something based on Guatemala (which isn't gonna happen, but hey, a man can dream).

Megas_Doux
06-29-2013, 04:11 AM
I love the classical antiquity, but I prefer other setting for AC such as:

1 100 years war
2 The opium Wars
3 Indian Mughal Empire
4 Victorian london
5 30 years war
6 La Reconquista! Pretty similar to AC1, though.
7 Khmer Empire

Ureh
06-29-2013, 04:19 AM
@ze_topazio Yeah or Spain it would be a harrowing experience to relive the Inquisition or the fall of the fall of the naval fleet.

Assassin_M
06-29-2013, 04:27 AM
hai gawyzzz, how bout WW II?? we can killzz Hitler grrrr and ghunz..mmmm..we can be a jewish assassins to save the ozerz and kill hitler...haha

Ureh
06-29-2013, 04:37 AM
Ohhhhhhh what if hitler had a good twin brother and we played as him then we have to kill our evil brother. They did mention a body double in AC2.

I-Like-Pie45
06-29-2013, 06:52 AM
I think there's a fanfic that already took care of Hitler. (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9054066/1/Assassin-s-Creed-Assassinating-Past-Heroes)

AC2_alex
06-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Regardless of setting, I hope future ACs include more conspiracy in the storyline. That stuff is intriguing to me. Eventually though, Ubisoft has just GOT to take AC to the far east. That China AC fan art (that I'm sure you've all seen) puts into perspective how awesome a game like that would be. I'm excited for the future of AC!!!

LoyalACFan
06-29-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm excited for the future of AC!!!

You know, honestly, I am too. I whine about certain stuff a lot (*coughcoughholsterscough*) but overall I'm really excited about what they'll do next. As long as they never again lose sight of the freedom and history that made the series special.

AC2_alex
06-29-2013, 05:33 PM
You know, honestly, I am too. I whine about certain stuff a lot (*coughcoughholsterscough*) but overall I'm really excited about what they'll do next. As long as they never again lose sight of the freedom and history that made the series special.

Exactly. To be honest, I'm not happy that they've annualized the franchise, but the games they've put out are still pretty darn good, so I'll keep playing them. I just have to accept that with Ubi's model, AC will never have the longevity of a franchise like Legend of Zelda. I'd rather have one or two insta-classics per generation than a pretty good game EVERY year.

The good news is, they have so many options with "history as their sandbox."

RinoTheBouncer
06-29-2013, 05:41 PM
To be perfectly honest, even though it does feel a lot like an Assassin's Creed game but I think the cities of AC games are starting to be pretty much the same. AC1 and AC2 were totally different while Brotherhood and Revelations (the latter is my favorite along with AC2) felt pretty similar with a few new remarkable structures and textures. Perhaps the idea of going through streets fast or over rooftops made them look similar but I think we really do need a whole new setting for an AC game. Perhaps ACIV:Black Flag will bring that since 60% of it will be in the sea with some underwater sections as far as we've seen.

I would still prefer any new AC game to take place long before AC1. Perhaps during the Sumerian, Babylonian or Ancient Egyptian times or we go to Japan and China because the architecture, buildings, the people, everything was pretty different from what we've seen so far. I'm not trying to say that Renaissance Italy is the same as Constantinople but since the time we spend in streets is very short and it's usually focusing on a target or just running fast and the time on rooftops sort of eliminates the details except for the beautiful skyline, we need a whole new reinvention to feel a difference and to make exploration and sightseeing more important and fun as well as using view points.

I can imagine how wonderful it would be to stand on top of the Sphinx or a Pyramid to synchronize a view point and running around in their totally different palaces and streets that vary from extreme luxury to painful poverty or to revisit a whole new time and phase of the world that we've only seen flashbacks and heard stories of which is the time of the First Civilization in Eden.

AC2_alex
06-29-2013, 07:18 PM
To be perfectly honest, even though it does feel a lot like an Assassin's Creed game but I think the cities of AC games are starting to be pretty much the same. AC1 and AC2 were totally different while Brotherhood and Revelations (the latter is my favorite along with AC2) felt pretty similar with a few new remarkable structures and textures. Perhaps the idea of going through streets fast or over rooftops made them look similar but I think we really do need a whole new setting for an AC game. Perhaps ACIV:Black Flag will bring that since 60% of it will be in the sea with some underwater sections as far as we've seen.

I would still prefer any new AC game to take place long before AC1. Perhaps during the Sumerian, Babylonian or Ancient Egyptian times or we go to Japan and China because the architecture, buildings, the people, everything was pretty different from what we've seen so far. I'm not trying to say that Renaissance Italy is the same as Constantinople but since the time we spend in streets is very short and it's usually focusing on a target or just running fast and the time on rooftops sort of eliminates the details except for the beautiful skyline, we need a whole new reinvention to feel a difference and to make exploration and sightseeing more important and fun as well as using view points.

I can imagine how wonderful it would be to stand on top of the Sphinx or a Pyramid to synchronize a view point and running around in their totally different palaces and streets that vary from extreme luxury to painful poverty or to revisit a whole new time and phase of the world that we've only seen flashbacks and heard stories of which is the time of the First Civilization in Eden.

Hear, hear! It would be bloody difficult to create a game set in the First Civ. Just think, the dev team would basically have to create their own architecture and everything... all ordinary conventions would be thrown out the window. But wouldn't that be AMAZING. And the stuff you said about the cities being the same, "just running fast and the time on rooftops sort of eliminates the details except for the beautiful skyline," is sadly true when I think about it...:(

k4Anarky2011
06-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Victorian London would be a no-brainer for the series.

-A dark, steamy, rooftop-fy London setting is perfect. You can meet fictional character such as Sherlock Holmes, and undertake detective training and solve crimes and yadiyada.

-Sniper rifle has already been invented (remember the Martini-henry in Sherlock Holmes?), which can allow snipers to replace on-site initiate assassins with simple cue like shining the pocket-watch or tip-your-top-hat or something :p. Also, wrist-mounted hidden shotgun, anyone?

-Worry about getting shot? How about a special anti-ballistic cape? You can look totally fabulous, while pulling off butterfly twists that can reflect bullets into enemies' face.

-SO, it would be nice to finally include ACTUAL free-running (the acrobatic stuff). There is this great acrobatic (theoretical) application of dodging and reflect bullets with your cape.

-That being said, this can be a great opportunity to properly introduce a female protagonist. She can be faster and pull off acrobatics better and more graceful than any of the men of the series. Unless you want to include a huge, pavement-smashing, heavy-footed, dark and scary Victorian Batman-like guy, that would be fine, too.

AC2_alex
06-29-2013, 07:59 PM
I would love to finally get a female Assassin, which would be perfect in Victorian London.

k4Anarky2011
06-29-2013, 08:01 PM
I would love to finally get a female Assassin, which would be perfect in Victorian London.
For good reasons as well, not just "because we don't want to be sexist". :p

AC2_alex
06-29-2013, 08:14 PM
For good reasons as well, not just "because we don't want to be sexist". :p

Would that realistically happen though? Do you think ubi will ever make a female lead?? (Liberation aside)

k4Anarky2011
06-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Would that realistically happen though? Do you think ubi will ever make a female lead?? (Liberation aside)
If AC wants to continue as a series, yeah. :p

If you want to eventually add acrobatics into the gameplay to "spice up" the freerunning mechanics, I think that a female lead can perform much better acrobatics than the guys. I just cannot imagine Ezio, Connor or even Altair doing a triple front flip and land on top of a lamp post... or butterfly twist to deflect bullets into a cartwheel then wall double back-flip and break a guy's neck with Ezio's legs.

It's just more practical to have a female lead in a new acrobatic-heavy freerunning mechanics. Character-wise, there are a lot of room to explore. Being an ***-kicking female assassin in an age where the feminist movement just started means that she doesn't really have to give a damn about what other people think. That could be a good place to start brain-storming ideas with.

Ureh
06-29-2013, 08:26 PM
I think (and hope) it can happen. It's probably on their agenda but taking time with it so that they can portray her in such a way that the mainstream audience can accept.

ze_topazio
06-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Imperial Rome, Carthage, Cleopatra Era Alexandria... Wouldn't that be amazing. I honestly would love a good game based on that (screw Ryse for the Xbox One, doesn't look good and you can't even fail QTEs from all I've read. No difficulty at all. Not even fake difficulty).
Great findings with all those pics. I can imagine that would be one hell of a location.
Admittedly, while most people have heard of those periods, they aren't usually represented in ways this series does. But I'd still love to see them going to all sorts of places. Portugal, as you mention. Non-stereotypical South America (I posted an idea for colonial South America on the other topic). I still want a Thirty Years' War game one day. There's lots they could do, all over the place. I wouldn't even mind if they decided to surprise me with something based on Guatemala (which isn't gonna happen, but hey, a man can dream).

They are from a movie called Anonymous about the real theory that Shakespeare was a fraud and his plays were written by a different guy, i never watched it by the way but i read about the special effects team and how they recreated the city by using real maps and paintings, researching typical building of the time periods and things like that, sounded a lot like what Ubisoft does, there's a video on youtube about it.
When that rumor about Brazil appear, people all over the internet were like " i want to climb the Jesus statue and free-run on the favelas", an AC there could be educational.
Indeed, a man can always dream.

@ze_topazio Yeah or Spain it would be a harrowing experience to relive the Inquisition or the fall of the fall of the naval fleet.

Spain is a well know country, i have no doubt they will eventually do something there, but indeed, the bizarre institution that was the Spanish and Portuguese inquisition, the slavery, the extreme religiosity of the people, the persecution of Jews and Muslims, the fact that both countries were two of most rich in the world but the common people were some of the poorest, among other things, i could see Templars and Assassins having a lot of fun in these scenarios.

k4Anarky2011
06-29-2013, 08:48 PM
I think (and hope) it can happen. It's probably on their agenda but taking time with it so that they can portray her in such a way that the mainstream audience can accept.
Mainstream audience can never accept anything lol. The next thing you know, you can have some dbag in Congress saying that she causes "rising violence in women" and "make little girls hit their sisters".

Having a female lead in such setting is firstly more practical (the way I described above) and secondly, she is an Assassin! She doesn't care! Nothing is true everything is permitted, remember?

Ureh
06-29-2013, 08:56 PM
If anyone can pull it off, it's Ubisoft. They're diplomatic. They have many stories they'll wish to tell....

rileypoole1234
06-29-2013, 10:16 PM

Probably a little late to reply to this but... I thought they were werewolves? Zombies in that game is a bug turn off tbh. I was ready to shoot some werewolves in London:(

pacmanate
06-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Probably a little late to reply to this but... I thought they were werewolves? Zombies in that game is a bug turn off tbh. I was ready to shoot some werewolves in London:(

They aren't zombies, they are aliens, or some evil demon ****

LoyalACFan
06-30-2013, 12:01 AM

Maybe you can even one drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Sigv4rd
08-20-2013, 11:00 PM
I think Tudor England would be better than Victorian England...

Escappa
08-20-2013, 11:28 PM
I don't think they will do victorian England since that's what we're expecting them to do, and so far they have suprised us. No one was betting on colonial America for AC3 and no ne thought about pirates in a caribbean setting for AC4, and I think they will continue with that. Give us what we want before we know that we want it ;)

Jexx21
08-21-2013, 12:05 AM
a lot of people were thinking colonial america...

AssassinHMS
08-21-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't think they will do victorian England since that's what we're expecting them to do, and so far they have suprised us. No one was betting on colonial America for AC3 and no ne thought about pirates in a caribbean setting for AC4, and I think they will continue with that.

Maybe we need to think differently.
We were betting on settings that would be perfect for an assassin’s creed game while Ubisoft was figuring out what game they wanted to make. They decided to make an open (empty) world Uncharted game plus naval battles and then a pirate game and of course the settings were chosen to fit such games.
Since guns, explosions and Hollywood moments are now as fundamental to the franchise as the hidden blade (if not more) the next ACs shouldn’t take place before the 15th century and, at least, 20% of each one of them should take place at sea.