PDA

View Full Version : How Ubisoft approaches its franchises

catkiller97
06-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Well this isn't directly related to AC but still i thought of posting it here.

Ubisoft has created tons of franchises over the years. Rayman, Prince of Persia, and Assassin’s Creed are just a few of the names that we’ve seen time and time again.

Having developed numerous series, how does Ubisoft approach them? Why is the wait for new entries in some franchises longer than others?

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot explained the publisher’s approach in an official Q&A:

“We have a strategy in place for each brand. Our goal is to work on each franchise until we see that it needs a break, and then down the line we’ll bring it back with a team that can make it shine once again. The power of our brands lies in the power of the people who work on them. So when we get to a point where we don’t think we can improve enough or bring something that fans haven’t seen before, we prefer to wait until we can identify a breakthrough – a fresh new angle that allows us to reinvigorate the franchise. So a lot of the time it’s about waiting for the right moment and the right team.”

Source (http://blog.ubi.com/yves-guillemot-ubisoft-community-interview-e3-2013/)

ProletariatPleb
06-26-2013, 07:43 AM
:rolleyes:

Assassin_M
06-26-2013, 07:52 AM
I feel like Yves is purposely doing this...he reads this...there`s no way he doesnt get the deal about what`s going down in the forums...he knows...and he`s doing this to watch and laugh as we get pissed off :|

Jexx21
06-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Uhm..

How about instead of having AC come out annually you have AC come out every other year, and whatever other franchise come out in the years in between. Maybe PoP? Although, to be honest, I haven't played any PoP games and have no idea how I would like them.

lothario-da-be
06-26-2013, 09:07 AM
I feel like Yves is purposely doing this...he reads this...there`s no way he doesnt get the deal about what`s going down in the forums...he knows...and he`s doing this to watch and laugh as we get pissed off :|
He acts like he doesn't know we want less ac, still he does the opposite...

kosmoscreed
06-26-2013, 11:48 AM
So they are going to "Burn It to the Ground" the franchise before noticing that maybe they should take another aproach.

ArabianFrost
06-26-2013, 12:48 PM
I bet his dog plotted this whole annualisation scheme. Get a control of your company Yves, don't let the dog make decisions for you!

Also, why is his favorite developer not CDRProjekt? The guys who made Diablo 3 and WOW are his favorite?

dxsxhxcx
06-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Also, why is his favorite developer not CDRProjekt?

because CD Projekt RED take their time to make their games... :p

ArabianFrost
06-26-2013, 01:11 PM
because CD Projekt RED take their time to make their games... :p

They also value their fans and give them FREE DLC and support for over 3 years. The complete opposite of Yves And his horrible policies.

dxsxhxcx
06-26-2013, 01:18 PM
They also value their fans and give them FREE DLC and support for over 3 years...

AND they threat the PC community with respect... :)

AssassinHMS
06-26-2013, 01:52 PM
He acts like he doesn't know we want less ac, still he does the opposite...

Talk for yourself. I want MORE AC since we only had one real AC game instead of making fresh c'rap every year and let it shine by the name of AC when it has nothing to do with it.

dxsxhxcx
06-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Talk for yourself. I want MORE AC since we only had one real AC game instead of making fresh c'rap every year and let it shine by the name of AC when it has nothing to do with it.

by doing this you're giving Ubisoft excuses to "keep trying" to make a "real" AC game using the current business model (annual releases) until they do it right, this means you'll probably have "fake" AC games for a long time since (at least IMO) annual releases are part of the problem..

Bashilir
06-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Does anyone else feel like AC's community is probably the most whiny community on the Ubisoft Forums? I swear, you guys complain about no hood at the end of AC3 and then people complain when you can't have it optional. You complain about annual releases and I bet 1,000,000 dollars that if Ubisoft DID do it every other year, OTHER people would complain that it's not annual. All you people do is complain that Ubisoft is such a poor, crappy company. No wonder they keep doing annual, they're probably trying to get rid of all the whiners about it being annual hoping they leave. Since, if they stopped doing annual they'd just create another base of complainers and haters about how it's not annual. God, I hate online game communities. I'm gonna play Last of Us now.

Mr_Shade
06-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Guys..

Lets remain civil please.. Remember these forums are owned by Ubisoft - so please don't start burning the owners..

pacmanate
06-26-2013, 04:22 PM
So... they are going to wait until the franchise is completely burnt out?

CDillinger24
06-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Does anyone else feel like AC's community is probably the most whiny community on the Ubisoft Forums? I swear, you guys complain about no hood at the end of AC3 and then people complain when you can't have it optional. You complain about annual releases and I bet 1,000,000 dollars that if Ubisoft DID do it every other year, OTHER people would complain that it's not annual. All you people do is complain that Ubisoft is such a poor, crappy company. No wonder they keep doing annual, they're probably trying to get rid of all the whiners about it being annual hoping they leave. Since, if they stopped doing annual they'd just create another base of complainers and haters about how it's not annual. God, I hate online game communities. I'm gonna play Last of Us now.

yes

ProletariatPleb
06-26-2013, 05:41 PM
And now you're doing exactly that on the community.

AssassinHMS
06-26-2013, 06:29 PM
by doing this you're giving Ubisoft excuses to "keep trying" to make a "real" AC game using the current business model (annual releases) until they do it right, this means you'll probably have "fake" AC games for a long time since (at least IMO) annual releases are part of the problem..

Oh I know. I'm against this annualization too. All I'm saying is that assassin's creed (itself) doesn't suffer from fatigue and that people don't need a break from AC because we only got one AC game so far. What is becoming tiresome is Ubisoft constantly playing with the franchise trying to make it "shine" again or pretending to improve it when all they're doing is destroying it.

Gi1t
06-26-2013, 08:36 PM

It's certainly not helping when they keep doing these interviews where they act like they know exactly what everyone wants and nobody disagrees with them. Their complete refusal to even acknowledge their detractors exist is what sparks these hate-fests every time they post an interview or make a statement. And that's just when it comes to Assassin's Creed. Their attitude towards other games has been far, far worse. Years of empty statements about how stuff is 'being worked on' and then 'needs a rest'
(yeah after all these years of inactivity, thats what it needs -__-)
and then statements about how they'll make it when they come up with a good idea which is basically an admission that they haven't done a **** thing all those months they were supposedly working on it. Meanwhile AC gets cranked out so often that even the fans yell at them to stop and that, they completely ignore. It's not just that they're unsuccessful at dealing with the issue, they literally pretend the issue is nonexistent. If they'd say something about what they're doing to address these issues, interviews like this wouldn't be so deserving of this kind of response.

If they're not trying to exorcise all detractors from their fanbase with their actions over the past few years, they might as well be. Every online game community whines to no end, but a lot of people still see somethign great in the series and not everything they say should be written off. If you know someon's just whining about something, that doesn't mean that's all they ever do.

And honestly, I don't see that many people caring how often they get the AC games. The only people who would get mad are the people who directly blame other fans for having caused the shift. If they hadn't started the annual release policy in the first place, there wouldn't be anything unusual or 'bad' about non-annual releases.

SixKeys
06-26-2013, 09:12 PM
It's funny how in almost every big media event where the devs are talking about the new game, at least one interviewer always asks "aren't you afraid of franchise fatigue with the yearly releases?" and they always act like it's not even possible. If it's not a possibility, how come so many people are talking about it?

Bashilir
06-26-2013, 10:19 PM
And now you're doing exactly that on the community.

You mean whining at the community? If the community didn't seem like such grumpy, whiny people all the time, I wouldn't be.

It's certainly not helping when they keep doing these interviews where they act like they know exactly what everyone wants and nobody disagrees with them. Their complete refusal to even acknowledge their detractors exist is what sparks these hate-fests every time they post an interview or make a statement. And that's just when it comes to Assassin's Creed. Their attitude towards other games has been far, far worse. Years of empty statements about how stuff is 'being worked on' and then 'needs a rest'
(yeah after all these years of inactivity, thats what it needs -__-)
and then statements about how they'll make it when they come up with a good idea which is basically an admission that they haven't done a **** thing all those months they were supposedly working on it. Meanwhile AC gets cranked out so often that even the fans yell at them to stop and that, they completely ignore. It's not just that they're unsuccessful at dealing with the issue, they literally pretend the issue is nonexistent. If they'd say something about what they're doing to address these issues, interviews like this wouldn't be so deserving of this kind of response.

If they're not trying to exorcise all detractors from their fanbase with their actions over the past few years, they might as well be. Every online game community whines to no end, but a lot of people still see somethign great in the series and not everything they say should be written off. If you know someon's just whining about something, that doesn't mean that's all they ever do.

And honestly, I don't see that many people caring how often they get the AC games. The only people who would get mad are the people who directly blame other fans for having caused the shift. If they hadn't started the annual release policy in the first place, there wouldn't be anything unusual or 'bad' about non-annual releases.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that they should give it a break but honestly, people just hating and whining will do no good. If anything, it'll turn Ubisoft off. Why should they want to try to help and solve the problems if their community is full of bashers and whiny, immature people? I don't think ANY game should be annual but unfortunately, whoever came up with idea basically kickstarted a huge number of companies that want to get as much $$$ as they can and it only being a year apart! From a business perspective, it's a great idea, from a consumer perspective, "PFFFFFFFFFFT STOP IT!" The fortunate thing is that this all depends on how the company treats their community.

Ureh
06-26-2013, 10:24 PM
This news is galvanizing! My respect and loyalty for Ubisoft and the team have increased a tenfold. I don't celebrate any holidays or events all year long so AC is always the game that I look forward to. While I understand they'll eventually need to take a break I am also joyful to know that the franchise will never be truly dead. There are so many possibilities that remain untapped for future generations.

Bashilir
06-26-2013, 10:26 PM
This news is galvanizing! My respect and loyalty for Ubisoft and the team have increased a tenfold. I don't celebrate any holidays or events all year long so AC is always the game that I look forward to. While I understand they'll eventually need to take a break I am also joyful to know that the franchise will never be truly dead. There are so many possibilities that remain untapped for future generations.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/33439165.jpg

Gi1t
06-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Don't get me wrong, I agree that they should give it a break but honestly, people just hating and whining will do no good. If anything, it'll turn Ubisoft off. Why should they want to try to help and solve the problems if their community is full of bashers and whiny, immature people? I don't think ANY game should be annual but unfortunately, whoever came up with idea basically kickstarted a huge number of companies that want to get as much $$$ as they can and it only being a year apart! From a business perspective, it's a great idea, from a consumer perspective, "PFFFFFFFFFFT STOP IT!" The fortunate thing is that this all depends on how the company treats their community.

Indeed. Always people who dump on stuff to make themselves feel like they're smarter than everyone else.

One thing I wonder though. If tey really want to stick it to their detractors, then why not spit in the faces of the people who whined about the 2008 Prince of Persia and make a sequel to that? XD

ProletariatPleb
06-26-2013, 10:42 PM
You mean whining at the community? If the community didn't seem like such grumpy, whiny people all the time, I wouldn't be.
I don't know, it's pretty justified to me.

Let's forget the blind fanboys that will buy the game if it was completely QTE or no controls at all, just a movie.

For me it was like this - AC2 came out, I was satisfied enough with the game. Then the waiting for AC3 started up, they announced Brothertimepass and Reveboring alright fine whatever, below average mostly 1-playthrough worthy sequels alright, AC3 will cover up for it, let's just go on.........and then the game came out and it was worse than Brovelationhood for me and hence I'm sorely disappointed and hoping AC4 redeems the franchise or else well I'll just leave. The only thing keeping me is the time I've invested so far in the series.

So basically, to sum it up, my feelings have been like this so far

http://i.minus.com/ixm14eJnwvAUU.jpg

AssassinHMS
06-26-2013, 11:22 PM
hoping AC4 redeems the franchise or else well I'll just leave. The only thing keeping me is the time I've invested so far in the series.

Yeah...I doubt it. Don't want to sound pessimistic but I just can't see it happening. If you're in for the explosions, naval and action (which I'm pretty sure you're not) then you won't be disappointed but the actual assassin's creed stuff (assassinations, investigations, making the player feel like an assassin, a fitting atmosphere, the creed...) doesn't seem to be what they're aiming with the game and, if anything, is just a second thought or an excuse to call it AC.
Could be wrong though...

ProletariatPleb
06-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Yeah...I doubt it. Don't want to sound pessimistic but I just can't see it happening. If you're in for the explosions, naval and action (which I'm pretty sure you're not) then you won't be disappointed but the actual assassin's creed stuff (assassinations, investigations, making the player feel like an assassin, a fitting atmosphere, the creed...) doesn't seem to be what they're aiming with the game and, if anything, is just a second thought or an excuse to call it AC.
Could be wrong though...
Well I liked naval, it was the only good and fun thing to do in AC3, lol

Let's just say I'm sure I'll enjoy the naval aspect of Black Flag, but if the assassin parts aren't satisfying...well bye bye franchise I have better games to play.

Ureh
06-27-2013, 02:35 AM
For me it was like this - AC2 came out, I was satisfied enough with the game. Then the waiting for AC3 started up, they announced Brothertimepass and Reveboring alright fine whatever, below average mostly 1-playthrough worthy sequels alright, AC3 will cover up for it, let's just go on.........and then the game came out and it was worse than Brovelationhood for me and hence I'm sorely disappointed and hoping AC4 redeems the franchise or else well I'll just leave. The only thing keeping me is the time I've invested so far in the series.

For me, assassinations were only one of the many reasons that piqued my interest in the first game. I don't think I need to list all of the other qualities of AC, but I should. I feel the same way as you, stealth/assassination is a very important part of the series and I'm disappointed that a lot of the AC3 memories weren't focused on stealth. And now they're including gameplay that are deviating from the essence of AC: naval, hunting, crafting, selling, renovating... almost like SimCity or whatever. If they remove stealth entirely, I would be very tempted to cut all ties with the franchise as well. But that brings us to the aspects that I love: music, cities, various cultures/heritage, story/characters, conspiracy, , free-running/platforming, animus, graphics, brutal finishing moves, etc. They would have to fail on delivering these features for me to forsake them.

Seriously?

Serious.

Indeed. Always people who dump on stuff to make themselves feel like they're smarter than everyone else.

One thing I wonder though. If tey really want to stick it to their detractors, then why not spit in the faces of the people who whined about the 2008 Prince of Persia and make a sequel to that? XD

Haha! That'd be amazing if things actually worked like that. PoP 08 cel-shaded graphics were better than Borderland cel-shaded graphics. At least bring back the graphics!

ProletariatPleb
06-27-2013, 03:04 AM
For me, assassinations were only one of the many reasons that piqued my interest in the first game. I don't think I need to list all of the other qualities of AC, but I should. I feel the same way as you, stealth/assassination is a very important part of the series and I'm disappointed that a lot of the AC3 memories weren't focused on stealth. And now they're including gameplay that are deviating from the essence of AC: naval, hunting, crafting, selling, renovating... almost like SimCity or whatever. If they remove stealth entirely, I would be very tempted to cut all ties with the franchise as well. But that brings us to the aspects that I love: music, cities, various cultures/heritage, story/characters, conspiracy, , free-running/platforming, animus, graphics, brutal finishing moves, etc. They would have to fail on delivering these features for me to forsake them.
Well yes ofcourse AC1 is the best damn game from this franchise for me. I meant that after that AC2 came out and I was generally satisfied with it, but the next 2 games were dogbollocks and I was hoping the numbered title would bring more to the table....in the end it brought even less.

Yeah the music, cities, etc is all fine but if the game treats its players like dumb morons and basically holds your hand through everything then all that, for me becomes secondary.

brutal finishing moves? C'mon overly lengthy animations is a negative thing in my eyes, lol.

Assassin_M
06-27-2013, 03:09 AM
Well yes ofcourse AC1 is the best damn game from this franchise for me. I meant that after that AC2 came out and I was generally satisfied with it, but the next 2 games were dogbollocks and I was hoping the numbered title would bring more to the table....in the end it brought even less.

Yeah the music, cities, etc is all fine but if the game treats its players like dumb morons and basically holds your hand through everything then all that, for me becomes secondary.

brutal finishing moves? C'mon overly lengthy animations is a negative thing in my eyes, lol.
AC II sucks

Megas_Doux
06-27-2013, 03:20 AM
Perpectives, I guess......

To me ACB was the darkest hour in this franchise, and things, with its flaws of course, have been improving ever since! Hear me out, disney in sunday morning esque story, a pretty DULL city despite its grandeur landmarks, boring and utterly disgusting easy combat, Vittoria agli Assassini, GUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDS! Etc, etc.

To me even though I am not 100% hyped, if the devps keep their promises of "AC1 like assassinations, background music" added to the ever present good story and atmosphere, AC IV may deliver, mostly since I like naval gameplay and La Habana. However only time will tell.

PD I am still not a big fan of yearly releases, believe that ACB should have been a DLC containing the destruction of the villa, Da vinci machines and the siege of Viana alone, pretty much like the Tyranny of king washington.....

And that AC IV would have better as a exclusive new generation game released on 2014.

ProletariatPleb
06-27-2013, 09:01 AM
AC II sucks
It was still a better Assassin's Creed game than the next 3.

Assassin_M
06-27-2013, 09:09 AM
It was still a better Assassin's Creed game than the next 3.
You`re saying that to my face?? should I kill you now?

ProletariatPleb
06-27-2013, 09:14 AM
You`re saying that to my face?? should I kill you now?
You have no face.

Assassin_M
06-27-2013, 09:22 AM
You have no face.
http://www.unfinishedman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/assassins-creed3-revolution.jpg