PDA

View Full Version : AC4 gameplay tweaks wanted!

Lethalla
06-26-2013, 04:30 AM
OK so here are a few 'wants' I'd like to see implemented in AC4. Yes, they're niggly things, but added together they do detract from the game.

1. If there are set parameters for achieving 100% synch, please tell us HOW to do said action, esp if it's something we haven't done before - or if it's something we have to do at a specific place, give us a hint to where it is... Please? Even being able to have said things on or off in Game Controls would be good, as I'm sure some people would say they don't need that kind of hand holding.
Eg Dead Chest Island in AC3 requires "running assassination" to get full synch. I don't believe I've ever seen this, and when I run at someone and press the kill button I stop to fight them (because of course they're not just going to stand there and wait for a dude to run up and knife them).
Eg specific place - in one of the early sequences in AC3 you had to do a Leap of Faith to get 100% - after executing the target (unseen, if I remember correctly) from a building's roof (near a lake). It didn't say from where; there were no strategic haybales etc... I later found out you're supposed to run over and leap off the cliff. Riiiight....

2. Horses. BL**dy horses. Now okay, I know AC4 is going to be about pirates and ships and whatnot, but if you have any horses can you PLEASE fix them so they will actually leap from rock. Too many times (in ACB as well) you ride onto a small outcropping of rock, not terribly high, and the horse will not go forward. I can understand if it's a couple metres in height, that the horse would refuse, but at less than a foot from the ground that's just ridiculous.
Of course, if there won't be any horses, that's all well and good.

3. Merchants should have different items for sale, not the same stuff at each shop. And also, why do they only sell consumables such as arrows? If they're supposed to be selling stuff to the local populace, why wouldn't they sell other items? I'm specifically talking about stuff I can have my artisans manufacture and then sell to said merchants. Maybe they should EACH also have rarer and/or unique items as you progress through the game. (After all, once you've got all your weapons and upgrades, what is left to do with your money?)

4. Reducing notoriety - in AC3 on level one, it will show me Printers on the mini map but I can't interact with them when I enter their premises. So I can't remove that notoriety (there are no posters to rip down), meaning I have to detour around every single soldier or risk a fight. Speaking of notoriety, if I'm Incog, and I run or gallop past guards, why do some of them start chasing me? This isn't AC1.

5. If you're going to have Fast Travel on a particular map, make each location able to be fast-travelled to.
Eg on AC3 I can Fast Travel to the Harbour master on the Davenport Homestead map, but I can't Fast Travel back to the Manor or any of the artisans.
Also with Fast Travel, don't have intermediary locations before you get to the final destination.
Eg if I want to travel from Davenport to New York I have to go from there to the Frontier, and then to NY. That's just annoying. It should be like the Oblivion/Skyrim system where you travel from (outdoors) within a city to any specific place on the map.

6 There is NO rule 6! ;)
(Most people on this forum won't get the Monty Python reference... MrShade might, he's almost as old as me.)

7. it'd be really good to have a Training programme in the Animus again, like was in ACB...

Thanks.

Megas_Doux
06-26-2013, 05:07 AM
I want the animus hacks to make a comeback!

Ureh
06-26-2013, 05:31 AM
1. As for the controls and how to do a running assassinations: the instruction manual in the menu tells us how to do it. I think the only thing they leave for us to discover is the way we continue kill streaks. Otherwise the in-game manual has everything we need. The William Johnson leap of faith objective is a bit subjective, if they can include an optional hand holding mechanic then I'm all for it.

4. Posters are not marked on the map like in previous games. But you should find them all around the city. Each poster brings notoriety down by 1 lvl. They'll glow with Eagle Sense; and highlighted with a "web" without. As for printers I haven't used them but if I had to take a guess you probably can't interact with them unless you have lvl 3 notoriety.

5. Fast travel works like this: press the button that opens the map (select for ps3, back for 360, tab for pc). Arrow icons (like the one next to the Manor) can be used for fast travel. If you want to travel from davenport to NY, zoom out of the homestead map, move your cursor to NY, zoom in, then select a fast travel arrow icon, harbormaster, liberated fort, or entrance/exit ways of the city.

guardian_titan
06-26-2013, 05:53 AM
1.) Ubisoft said one of their bigger complaints was too much handholding in AC3 compared to past games so AC4 will have less of it. Perhaps that was in strict reference to the quest objectives, but maybe it was in reference to constantly bringing up reminders of how to perform a move time and again. Personally, I loved the move reminders since AC3 was the first game I played, but there should be an option to turn it off at least. I did find it got irritating during my third playthrough when I already knew how to back eject, etc.

2.) Have to agree on the horses. I love them, but not being able to jump over a small rock got irritating. I got to the point where I found it easier to go on foot through the frontier. But with AC4 being focused on ships, I don't see horses being part of the game outside of maybe how they were used in ACR and that being with carriages. ACR disappointed me with the lack of horses so probably why I found Constantinople rather dull. Running on foot everywhere got boring real fast. At least we get the Jackdaw in AC4 for sure, but I'm not holding my breath on horses returning. They could come back in AC5 so hopefully their movement is greatly improved.

3.) The native tribes traded with the colonists quite a bit. That's why Ziio wasn't seen as out of place in the tavern where Haytham got into the bar fight. Haytham knew little of America at the time so likely wasn't aware that natives were a common sight in various colonial towns. So there is a reason (and a real one) for them to sell arrows. If a native brings in some furs and food, you have to be able to trade them something they want to use. Arrows are certainly relevant to them. And not every hunter uses guns. As is pointed out in the game, shooting an animal damages the pelt. Trapping was pretty common, but hunters knew the bow, too. It's not like the bow didn't exist in Europe or anything so it was a foreign weapon to the colonists. >.> Perhaps shops should carry some unique goods, but I really don't want to have to go to Kingston to buy smoke bombs and Nassau to buy poison darts when I run out. That'd get old. If the crafting system in AC4 is a huge improvement over AC3, I might not mind crafting my consumables, but the AC3 system just made me go to the general store to buy what I needed instead ... or I went on a mass murder spree of redcoats. :p Only crafted when I absolutely had to.

4.) I did find the printers showing up at notoriety 1 a bit annoying, but the notoriety system is being overhauled for AC4. Reason being that there's so many islands you visit. Word isn't going to spread like wild fire from island to island making you notorious. They didn't have cellphones or the internet back then. As to how the new system will work, we don't know, but it won't be like in AC3. For those familiar with Geico, they did a Paul Revere with a cell phone commerical. For those unfamiliar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIPsYnUw7rI

5.) I recall an interview stating that we can fast travel to any location once it's discovered in AC4 so you already got your wish. As for AC3, I could fast travel from the Aquila to the manor and back just fine. O.o In fact, there's 3 fast travel points in Davenport (frontier, manor, Aquila). And you could just take the Aquila to New York (or Boston) bypassing the frontier. Then once you discovered all of the underground passageways, you got quite a few fast travel points in New York and Boston. Frontier is my only complaint. Too few fast travel points for the size of the map. And too few view points. Running back and forth to uncover the map got boring real fast

6.) Don't watch Monty Python so no comment.

7.) Training program in ACB I never really used personally outside of one or two times. Would be nice to see it make a come back with more training in it, especially for more complicated or advanced moves. If the hand holding is being lessened in AC4, then the training program can come back to compensate for new players. I know the corner wall jump in AC2 drove me bonkers, especially during timed runs when the camera locks itself into one position requiring you to perform the jump in a specific way, but you'd do it differently if the camera behaved normally. The Auditore family crypt jump drove me up a tree. Took me like 3 hours to finally get it and it was a fluke. Rather glad the timed runs didn't return in AC3 and hoping they don't come back. My fingers aren't fast enough for that stuff.

Ureh
06-26-2013, 06:07 AM
@guardian_titan

1. You can turn off updates and most hints in the Options menu, under 'HUD'.

Lethalla
06-26-2013, 07:05 AM
For #3 I meant generic goods at each location, then something rare or unique at each store. I agree it'd be annoying to have to go to different places to get things like smoke bombs. Another thing I was referring to are the delivery requests; my ability to deliver Ciders or Dolls to my contact depends on having found the recipe for said item AND having the artisan to make it. The simple ones like pelts or teeth I can understand I need to go out and find them myself, but... One does not simply find Ciders laying about in the wilderness. As for pickpocketing items like Milk... LOL...

It'd also be good to get pouch upgrades like we had in AC2 and ACB. (I don't think AC3 has anything like that?)

I shall have to check the menu again, then, since I looked twice and didn't find any kind of manual...

pacmanate
06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Eg Dead Chest Island in AC3 requires "running assassination" to get full synch. I don't believe I've ever seen this, and when I run at someone and press the kill button I stop to fight them (because of course they're not just going to stand there and wait for a dude to run up and knife them).

Thats cause you stop running...

Wolfmeister1010
06-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Thats cause you stop running...

Yeah lol lethalla don't complain about it just because you're bad...

Ureh
06-26-2013, 11:11 PM
@Lethalla Indeed there are pouches to increase capacity for consumables. They can be found in the Accounting Book under the crafting >>> special items tab. There's also a saddle bag pouch that lets you use your horse to refill all your consumables.

The manual can be found in the animus training center (the second option from the left).

salman147
06-27-2013, 06:55 PM
The following are confirmed:
No horses.
No notoriety system.Pirates are always notorious.
No arrows.Instead you get a blowpipe.
Freedom in assassinations.
No handholding like:Go here,kill this guy,there is a scaffolding,hide in it,wait for this guy to arrive and press this button to kill him,congrats you completed the hardest part of a video game!
No animus issues.i.e the world will be open from the start.But you'll not be able to explore from the start cos' the borders will be guarded by super strong enemies,ones u can't kill without upgrades and experiences.
More difficult gameplay.U get killed with 2 shots.

pacmanate
06-27-2013, 07:31 PM
The following are confirmed:
No horses.
No notoriety system.Pirates are always notorious.
No arrows.Instead you get a blowpipe.
Freedom in assassinations.
No handholding like:Go here,kill this guy,there is a scaffolding,hide in it,wait for this guy to arrive and press this button to kill him,congrats you completed the hardest part of a video game!
No animus issues.i.e the world will be open from the start.But you'll not be able to explore from the start cos' the borders will be guarded by super strong enemies,ones u can't kill without upgrades and experiences.
More difficult gameplay.U get killed with 2 shots.

Where was it confirmed about no notoriety system? How does that work if you are always notorious?

Ureh
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
The freerunning autoguide system drives me nuts half the time. Especially if they're going to have puzzle platforming again. How is it a puzzle if you're doing it for me?!