PDA

View Full Version : Locations in AC4: Black Flag

Rugterwyper32
06-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Now, we've all been talking about cities and whatnot. But I think there are interesting parts about the locations we'll be seeing according to this map:

http://86bb71d19d3bcb79effc-d9e6924a0395cb1b5b9f03b7640d26eb.r91.cf1.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/assassins-creed-4-map-wallpaper.jpg

So let's see what we've got. I'll start off with Andreas Island, or as it's known now, Andros. BLATANT COPYPASTA OF WIKIPEDIA AHOY

"The island's blue holes are water-filled cave systems, which attract divers from all over the world."
"All the main islands of the Bahamas have blue holes, but those of Andros are the best known. Andros has 178 on land with at least 50 in the sea. Blue holes can best be described as entrances to the intricate cave systems which run underneath the island and sea floor."
"Their openings can be found among the shallow creeks, inland lakes, and the shallow banks of the Bahamas. The caves, which have developed within the Bahamian carbonate platforms, can be laterally and vertically very extensive. Lateral cave passages can extend to several kilometres and vertically may range in depth from ten to several hundred metres."

Then we proceed to Cat Island:

"Armbrister Creek flows into a clear lake called “Boiling Point” or “Boiling Hole” whose tidal conditions cause bubbles and burps, the conditions which lead to folklore of a sea monster below its surface. Today, this is a great spot to spy rays and baby sharks and numerous birds that nest along its mangrove fringe.
Located in Bain Town is another lake. This 65 ft wide 10 ft deep lake called Mermaid Hole is where many believe a mermaid lives amongst the 4 bed holes within that lead to underground caverns and passageways.
One of the major attractions in Cat Island Bahamas is the Big Blue Hole near ****ies Road. The hole is very deep and it has a strong undercurrents flowing into the sea. The locals believed that a monster said to live in Big Blue Hole located near Orange Creek, just off of ****ies Road is said to devour horses. This deep blue hole has strong undersea currents that flow through its caverns linking to the sea, where many objects like dead farm animals tossed into the lake ended up. This folklore still scares local fisherman from venturing too far in this freshwater lake."

I can't find much on Crooked Island, but it seems it had plantations set in it in the late 18th century, so maybe we'll have a Plantation to loot there.

Cayo Island should be more like Cayo IslandS, but I suspect the base will be Cayo Coco. Why?

"Cayo Coco and its neighboring Cayo Guillermo, are the setting for Ernest Hemingway's "Islands In The Stream and "The Old Man and the Sea".

Used as a hideout by buccaneers in the early colonial period, the island was home to a small settlement of fishermen and charcoal producers until 1955 when the freshwater supply was exhausted and the market for charcoal ended with the spread of electrification after the Cuban Revolution. A causeway was built to the Cuban mainland in 1988, beginning the era of resort construction. The first resort, Guitart Cayo Coco (now the Blau Colonial), opened in 1993.[3] The Cuban exile group Alpha 66 machine gunned the resort in 1994 and 1995, although there were no injuries."

Then we have Juventud Island, another fun one.

"Pirate activity in and around the area left its trace in English literature. Both Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson and Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie are rooted in part on accounts of the island and its native and pirate inhabitants, as well as long dugout canoes (which were often used by pirates as well as indigenous peoples) and the American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) on the island."

Then we move on to Cayman Island, which is clearly based on Grand Cayman rather than the smaller ones (even though they might be among the 50 locations)

"Watersports such as scuba diving and snorkeling are among the most popular activities on Grand Cayman as the island is known for its coral reefs and underwater sea walls along with a number of shipwrecks.

As well, Grand Cayman Island also has a number of natural attractions: the blow holes in the East End district, the Mastic Trail that runs north to south through the center of the island, Hell in the West Bay, and the acclaimed Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park, to name a few."

Then we have Tortuga, which seems like an obvious location for the 50 and could probably house a nice tobacco plantation to loot and maybe a fort. And got nothing for south Florida other than the Spanish Armada shipwreck

roostersrule2
06-22-2013, 02:42 AM
Tourist Creed IV.

AC2_alex
06-22-2013, 03:03 AM
The returning Assassin's Tomb-esque missions seem colorful and promising based on your research, Rugterwyper32. Also, it looks like there is some opportunity for easter eggs in this game because of all the pirate myths and folk lore. Kind of like the Frontiersman missions in AC3.

Rugterwyper32
06-22-2013, 03:59 AM
Tourist Creed IV.

Hey, that's one of the things I like about the series. Some neat historical tourism, yo.

The returning Assassin's Tomb-esque missions seem colorful and promising based on your research, Rugterwyper32. Also, it looks like there is some opportunity for easter eggs in this game because of all the pirate myths and folk lore. Kind of like the Frontiersman missions in AC3.

Agreed. There's all this potential considering the legends behind some of them or the stories that some of these islands inspired, and I think it could be really interesting if they exploit it fully. Cat Island was the one that sounded the most interesting out of these, and then there's the massive caves under Andreas Island which could be really fun. And Juventud Island really intrigues me seeing the stories it has inspired. Honestly, there's a lot of potential here.

LoyalACFan
06-22-2013, 04:09 AM
Those four locations in the image have got to be the new version of Captain Kidd missions.

captin_qwark7
06-22-2013, 04:35 AM
Hey, that's one of the things I like about the series. Some neat historical tourism, yo.

Agreed. There's all this potential considering the legends behind some of them or the stories that some of these islands inspired, and I think it could be really interesting if they exploit it fully. Cat Island was the one that sounded the most interesting out of these, and then there's the massive caves under Andreas Island which could be really fun. And Juventud Island really intrigues me seeing the stories it has inspired. Honestly, there's a lot of potential here.

Thank you!!! This is exactly what I love about AC too. Now I'm gonna find out about some more locations on the other map :D

WIKI COPYPASTA!!! Matanzas is called the City of Bridges, for the seventeen bridges that cross the three rivers that traverse the city (Rio Yumuri, San Juan, and Canimar). For this reason it was referred to as the "Venice of Cuba." Ah beautiful. Oh and it was known for its sugar plantations...

Castillo de Jagua was erected to protect the bay Bahia de Cienfuegos from pirates. Templar lair?

LoyalACFan
06-22-2013, 04:46 AM
Thank you!!! This is exactly what I love about AC too. Now I'm gonna find out about some more locations on the other map :D

WIKI COPYPASTA!!! Matanzas is called the City of Bridges, for the seventeen bridges that cross the three rivers that traverse the city (Rio Yumuri, San Juan, and Canimar). For this reason it was referred to as the "Venice of Cuba." Ah beautiful. Oh and it was known for its sugar plantations...

The cathedral there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_San_Carlos_De_Borromeo_(Matanzas)) would have been under construction at the time of the game. Could make for a fun linear free-running mission...?

captin_qwark7
06-22-2013, 05:09 AM
The cathedral there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_San_Carlos_De_Borromeo_(Matanzas)) would have been under construction at the time of the game. Could make for a fun linear free-running mission...?

Well done good sir! Probably not playable but it sounds very promising:

ROATAN, HONDURAS

Surrounded by narrow reefs and shallow channels inaccessible to merchant ships, Roatan became the base of hundreds of pirates in the 17th century, including buccaneer legends Laurens de Graff and Henry Morgan. From here, they staged attacks on Spanish galleons carrying Asian porcelain and Peruvian silver. Rumor has it that treasure hunters unearthed part of Henry Morgan’s cache here in the 1960s—and that there’s more to be found.

Wolfmeister1010
06-22-2013, 05:17 AM
I just hope that the towns ip that you come across are more unique, fun, and bustling than the ones in the frontier. They just seemed so empty and boring. I hope that each location you come across has its own unique npcs, characters, and side quests.

Rugterwyper32
06-22-2013, 05:25 AM

Well, the Havana Cathedral wasn't even in construction at the time this game takes place, so hey.
They did mention, though, that you'd be able to explore parts of the big islands (Cuba and Jamaica), so I wouldn't be surprised to see Matanzas having a plantation you can raid and maybe the Cathedral as a viewpoint.

Wolfmeister1010
06-22-2013, 05:27 AM
Well, the Havana Cathedral wasn't even in construction at the time this game takes place, so hey.
They did mention, though, that you'd be able to explore parts of the big islands (Cuba and Jamaica), so I wouldn't be surprised to see Matanzas having a plantation you can raid and maybe the Cathedral as a viewpoint.

But then why have we seen so many vids, pics, and arts of the cathedral?

Rugterwyper32
06-22-2013, 05:32 AM
But then why have we seen so many vids, pics, and arts of the cathedral?

Historical inaccuracy on purpose to have a central landmark, I'm thinking. The Acre cathedral in AC1 was architecturally inaccurate (Gothic architecture was only in Europe at the time) and while apparently there was a Cathedral there, it would have been very different. And the Hagia Sophia in Revelations has all 4 minarets, which is inaccurate but makes it more recognizable. So there's that.

captin_qwark7
06-22-2013, 05:39 AM
And they're so picturesque it would be a shame to leave them out.

And I want to see Stede Bonnets mansion in Barbados :P

AC2_alex
06-22-2013, 05:55 AM
I don't mind Ubi fudging the timeline a bit so we can get amazing architecture to play with.

Rugterwyper32
06-22-2013, 07:34 PM
I also would like to add a few locations in the bigger islands (Cuba and Jamaica) that could prove to be quite interesting. We know we can visit certain areas of the islands (but not go far inland), so I'm thinking, what could we end up seeing? Well, on one hand, we have Cuba. The southeastern part is home to Santiago de Cuba, but I doubt we'll see the city itself. However, there's a few things we'll probably see: San Pedro de La Roca Castle (would make for a nice fort) and the oldest coffee plantations in Cuba.

San Pedro de La Roca Castle:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Castillo_del_Morro_by_Glogg_4.jpg/800px-Castillo_del_Morro_by_Glogg_4.jpg

Closer to the south-center we could also have another plantation to raid in Valle de Los Ingenios, a big center for sugar.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/House_manaca_ignaza.JPG/800px-House_manaca_ignaza.JPG

We might even see Trinidad as a smaller town in the vein of Concord/Lexington around:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Trinidad_%28Kuba%29_03.jpg/800px-Trinidad_%28Kuba%29_03.jpg

Moving on, we get to Jamaica. Besides the obvious Port Royal we know we'll visit and the obvious landmarks, I think there'll be some more. For one, Spanish Town, with its Cathedral and all ("The Spanish Town Cathedral, also known as the St. Catherine Parish Church, was built in the second half of the seventeenth century. After the conquest of Jamaica by the British in 1655, the British destroyed the original Catholic Church and replaced it with the Anglican Church, which is now the St. Catherine Parish Church or the Spanish Town Cathedral. In 1712 the church was destroyed by a hurricane, but rebuilt in 1714.").

http://www.trulycaribbean.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Cathedral-in-Spanish-Town-Jamaica.jpg

We might also get to see a few plantations, probably either the one around Greenwood Great House without the great house itself ("The Barretts of Wimpole Street fame came to Jamaica in the 1660s and amassed great wealth from their sugar plantations. They built Greenwood in 1790 as a guest house.") or maybe the Halse Hall Great House ("When the English captured Jamaica in 1655, it was the custom to give officers of the army land grants. Halse Hall was given to Major Thomas Halse. On the site, Halse raised hogs, grazed cattle and built a house of thick walls. The house served as the centre of his estate and a rallying point for defence. When Thomas Halse died in 1702, the Great House was still a single storey building.")

And then we have a potential secret location which I think would be awesome if they made it so, Colbeck Castle. "Colbeck Castle is a massive stone and brick ruin with walls standing to their full original height. Colbeck Castle is situated in open country about two miles north of Old Harbour, St. Catherine. The castle, built about 1680, is currently owned by the Jamaica National Heritage Trust.
The building is rectangular in shape consisting of four storied tower-like structures at each corner rising to a height of about 40 feet. Defence against the Spaniards was an important consideration for the English settlers in this early period and Colbeck Castle apparently was intended to be a key point in this defence.Consequently the Palladio style of architecture was adopted for this building. It is solid and imposing and designed along the lines of a Seventeenth Century Italian mansion."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_H34mJEoaqBA/TSBvJemssgI/AAAAAAAAAC0/IEj0mR10hpA/s1600/colbeck+castle.JPG

Can you imagine that? It'd be great.

andre982d
06-22-2013, 09:00 PM
http://86bb71d19d3bcb79effc-d9e6924a0395cb1b5b9f03b7640d26eb.r91.cf1.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/assassins-creed-4-map-wallpaper.jpg

Map №2

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/emea/ac4/vip-program/PPS_CMYKSPOT_AC4BF_MAP_ALL-BRONZE_HD-1.jpg

Map №3

1)Portillo(?)
2)Cape Bonavista(?)
3)Matanzas
4)Castillo de Jagua (The fortress was erected by Spanish king Philip V in the 1740s)

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3546/tjh3.jpg

lothario-da-be
06-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Map №2

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/emea/ac4/vip-program/PPS_CMYKSPOT_AC4BF_MAP_ALL-BRONZE_HD-1.jpg

Map №3

1)Portillo(?)
2)Cape Bonavista(?)
3)Matanzas
4)Castillo de Jagua (The fortress was erected by Spanish king Philip V in the 1740s)

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3546/tjh3.jpg
Wich map is from ubishop?

montagemik
06-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Wich map is from ubishop?

The Pirates Trophy map - comes with Black chest edition .

The Carribbean 1715 Map - is the reverse side of the 'Todd Mcfarlane' AC4 poster i think .

lothario-da-be
06-22-2013, 09:21 PM
The Pirates Trophy map - comes with Black chest edition .

The Carribbean 1715 Map - is the reverse side of the 'Todd Mcfarlane' AC4 poster i think .
The ugliest and most fake looking one comes with the most expensice edition... how exciting..

Rugterwyper32
06-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks for those maps, Andre. That is rather useful. Nice posts as always.
Portillo seems to be based on Marea del Portillo, a beach which has sand of volcanic origin. A volcano area or something? I don't know.
Castillo de Jagua is an interesting one, considering it was also built later. And nothing much around there, considering Cienfuegos was settled until the 1800. Hey, at this rate we might just get Fort Fincastle in Nassau and that would make it a more interesting location. But yeah, wonder why no mention of Trinidad rather than it.
Cape Bonavista is one I don't see a thing about, but it seems to be around the Pinar del Rio area, where we could end up seeing Viñales Valley. So what about it, well, there's this "Tobacco and other crops are cultivated on the bottom of the valley, mostly by traditional agriculture techniques. Many caves dot the surrounding hillfaces (Cueva del Indio, Cueva de José Miguel). The conspicuous cliffs rising like islands from the bottom of the valley are called mogotes. Viñales is a major tourist destination offering mainly hiking and rock climbing. The local climbing scene has started to take off in the last few years with many new routes being discovered resulting in an increase in local tourism."

Sushiglutton
06-22-2013, 09:24 PM
This is a great thread :D!

Rugterwyper32
06-23-2013, 12:38 AM
This is a great thread :D!

Thanks! I'm glad I came up with this thread, I can see threads like this bring up a nice amount of discussion. It's all good fun, I'd say

Megas_Doux
06-23-2013, 02:45 AM
Promising!

captin_qwark7
06-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Map №2

Hold up, where did you find the second map?