PDA

View Full Version : AC4 weapons analysis/ideas?

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 11:57 PM
So far, the only confirmed weapons in the game are swords, rope darts, pistols, blowpipe, fists, and hidden blades. Also, it has been confirmed that weapons that make stealth unecessary will be removed, so it seems like the bow won't return.

However, what other weapons do you think will make their appearance in the game? I have a couple opinions myself.

1. Knives and tomahawks: knife seen in gameplay trailer, and tomahawk seems likely just because.
2. Heavy weapons: in basically every game, so probably returning.
3. Grenades: popular pirate weapon, already used in liberation and revelations, so might make a return.
4. Blunderbuss: iconic pirate weapon, definitely not stealthy. Would not be overpowered because it would only fire one whom before being reloaded. Could replace blowpipe as "back weapon".

What do you guys think?

AC2_alex
06-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Wow this thread is stupid. Stop making these threads.

JK! JK! The blunderbuss sounds bad arse to me. And really? Rope darts are confirmed? I didn't know that. I thought they were really helpful in stealth. I'd just sit in stalking zones and pull guys over with my rope dart.

AidenPixxel
06-21-2013, 12:14 AM
I was always wondering how one handed weapons would work in AC4 combat.In AC3 you always had a hidden blade on the other hand but what about in AC4 where the hidden blade is different?

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Grenades are not in Liberation.
I don't see knives as a likely returning weapon, seeing as the bow and arrow is what replaced them in AC3 for all intents and purposes.

Honestly, I hate heavy weapons, and don't understand why AC3 had them.

The only Assassin I know of that carried a rifle was Nikolai, but since Edward seems to have a lot of room on his back, I wouldn't mind if he could equip a musket or a spear or something there.

Actually, I would LOVE spears, although it was a heavy weapon in the Ezio trilogy, I don't think we could ever equip them. That's the only heavy weapon I would approve of, especially since a proper spear shouldn't really be all that heavy.

Wolfmeister1010
06-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Wow this thread is stupid. Stop making these threads.

JK! JK! The blunderbuss sounds bad arse to me. And really? Rope darts are confirmed? I didn't know that. I thought they were really helpful in stealth. I'd just sit in stalking zones and pull guys over with my rope dart.

Lol okay I know my period rage is over

AC2_alex
06-21-2013, 12:36 AM

I totally agree. I only bought heavy weapons to see them displayed in the Assassin HQ.

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 12:37 AM
There are a few tools in AC3 that never got an introduction: smoke bombs and poison darts.

The blowpipe will handle the poison darts, I wonder if smoke bombs will make a return.

AC2_alex
06-21-2013, 12:39 AM
There are a few tools in AC3 that never got an introduction: smoke bombs and poison darts.

The blowpipe will handle the poison darts, I wonder if smoke bombs will make a return.

Its highly probable.

Wolfmeister1010
06-21-2013, 12:41 AM
I can see smoke bombs returning. They've been in every game except the first.

I also hope that trip mines don't show up in the game. They were useless and took up weapon wheel space.

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 12:51 AM
If smoke bombs are back, I really hope someone gives them to Edward to introduce them as a gameplay element. I hated that they and poison darts, AND tripmines weren't introduced in AC3.

I don't think smoke bombs were introduced to Aveline in Liberation either..

montagemik
06-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Grenades are not in Liberation.
I don't see knives as a likely returning weapon, seeing as the bow and arrow is what replaced them in AC3 for all intents and purposes.

That may rule out 'Throwing knives' - But knife /dagger as a melee weapon should be almost a basic default as a Pirate & assassin.

Tomahawks can be thrown - But we were just never given the option as Connor , No reason we can't have knives without throwing them as Edward.

And Heavy weapons (like many things) were included in AC3 - so they could be thouroughly playtested for obvious inclusion into ACIV ;)(pirate/naval boarding axe ahoy )

LoyalACFan
06-21-2013, 02:04 AM
1. Knives and tomahawks: knife seen in gameplay trailer, and tomahawk seems likely just because.

Where did you see knives in the gameplay trailer? I'd really like to have them back, just as long as they don't halfass them again and reuse the tomahawk animations for them... Knife fighting looked absurd in AC3.

Wolfmeister1010
06-21-2013, 02:41 AM
Where did you see knives in the gameplay trailer? I'd really like to have them back, just as long as they don't halfass them again and reuse the tomahawk animations for them... Knife fighting looked absurd in AC3.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Ar3yygT7

at 1:22 you can clearly see a guard wielding a knife. Obviously this means that knives will be available.

LoyalACFan
06-21-2013, 05:46 AM

at 1:22 you can clearly see a guard wielding a knife. Obviously this means that knives will be available.

Link's not working. Which vid was it from? The gameplay reveal, Under the Black Flag, or the E3 one with the song?

Sushiglutton
06-21-2013, 10:54 AM
I can see smoke bombs returning. They've been in every game except the first.

I also hope that trip mines don't show up in the game. They were useless and took up weapon wheel space.

I think some kind of trap for enemies is good though as it opens up for some fun stealth gameplay. For example you can place a mine at spot and then run away. When a guards triggers it others will be drawn to that location allowing you to sneak by etc. Mines are fun in principal but requires good enough AI to be fun in practice.

Farlander1991
06-21-2013, 11:29 AM
What I really want from AC4, which will probably never happen, is for every weapon to have some kind of strategic use in combat. For example:
1. Hidden blades require a lot of combo attacks to kill somebody, but are an insta-counter kill with a REALLY small window (something like in AC1, the counter-window for hidden blade there is really hard to get into) that has to be mastered
2. Heavy weapons are slow, but you attack at a whole group of enemies with it (like you can do with spears, in some of Ezio's games, for example).
3. Swords are the average go-to weapon with average defensive and offensive capabilities and not always lethal counters (depending on enemy skill and health)
etc.

You know, stuff like that. Because ever since ACB (AC2 was when it started, but it still was a little bit better in that regard) it really didn't matter what weapon you've got, they tried to do something, but in the end (mostly because of kill streaks and insane counter windows) the only thing that matters in the weapon of choice is aesthetics.

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 07:57 PM
The idea of counters not being lethal is interesting.. maybe they should add that in a more difficult game mode..

shobhit7777777
06-21-2013, 08:23 PM
**** weapons

Go Tools and Gadgets

Gadgets/Tools are inherently more versatile and AC4 should include more items which have multiple uses and allows greater interaction with/manipulation of the environment and NPCs.

The Blowdart is a cool addition - from lethal doses to berserker poison....this is the kind of weapon/tool that an Assassin should be packing, it makes for such interesting gameplay. I can silently take out lone sentries without a fuss or poison one guy to lure the others away....that makes for an engaging experience IMO..the tactical freedom.

Throwing Knives - (IIRC they have not been included...but I'm just giving an example).....you can use them to silently take out guys, use them in combat against multiple enemies to weaken them....OR...use the freeaiming to chuck them anywhere and lure guards to that location

Grapling hook and line - (Edward's version of the rope dart....doubt we'll ever see it though) Another example of a versatile item. It could be used to traverse the environments and quickly scale vertical faces or descend great heights in a hurry...maybe form a tightrope....and in combat or stealth it could be used as the rope dart was used by Connor.

One of the reasons why I loved the Ezio trilogy was the number of versatile gadgets Ezio had. You had a gadgets or an item for a variety of playstyles. IIRC Revelation's dev team approached the game with this philosophy that all additions to the game must add to the central pillars and in fact intertwine in use - hooklade (combat and traversal) bombs (combat and stealth). This is a fantastic design guideline IMO

From poisoning to luring guards away with bombs.....the Ezio game's arsenal really allowed diversity and choice in playstyle. This is something that IMO should make a solid comeback.

DisbandedBox359
06-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Are tomahawks confirmed ? Couldn't see them being it. Also anyone know if Edward's hidden blades have swivels on them like Connor and Haytham's ?

Sigv4rd
06-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Are tomahawks confirmed ? Couldn't see them being it. Also anyone know if Edward's hidden blades have swivels on them like Connor and Haytham's ?

I don't think Edward's blades swivel...

Wolfmeister1010
06-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Link's not working. Which vid was it from? The gameplay reveal, Under the Black Flag, or the E3 one with the song?

Gameplay reveal

GreySkellig
06-21-2013, 10:06 PM
I really, really hope knives/small blades are included in some form, since they're my favorite weapons after the hidden blades.

Two things I think may appear:
~Grappling hook/rope dart combo. A grapple has been hinted at, and it would make more sense to combine this with the rope dart than to make them separate. You could look at Aveline's whip as a proof of concept--IIRCC, it served for navigation and combat.
~Environmental weapons will come back (remember killing guards with shovels?) in a big way. Edwards has been shown again and again smashing bottles or pieces of timber over his opponents' heads. It's fittingly dirty for a pirate brawler, and they've sort of been tested. They were used as an environmental kill in Haytham's bar fight--if you countered next to a bottle, he'd grab it and smash it over the enemy's head.

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Oh yea, I think Edward will definitely use the environment to his advantage.

LoyalACFan
06-22-2013, 04:16 AM

No, they don't swivel. Haytham's didn't either, they just reused Connor's combat animations for them. His double assassination move (from the front) is ripped from Ezio, rather than Connor's spin/swivel move.

LoyalACFan
06-22-2013, 04:19 AM

I actually think that's a short sword. He's just standing in the same posture as AC3's knife wielders.

Ureh
06-22-2013, 03:01 PM
I really, really hope knives/small blades are included in some form, since they're my favorite weapons after the hidden blades.

Two things I think may appear:
~Grappling hook/rope dart combo. A grapple has been hinted at, and it would make more sense to combine this with the rope dart than to make them separate. You could look at Aveline's whip as a proof of concept--IIRCC, it served for navigation and combat.
~Environmental weapons will come back (remember killing guards with shovels?) in a big way. Edwards has been shown again and again smashing bottles or pieces of timber over his opponents' heads. It's fittingly dirty for a pirate brawler, and they've sort of been tested. They were used as an environmental kill in Haytham's bar fight--if you countered next to a bottle, he'd grab it and smash it over the enemy's head.

I wouldn't mind using brooms and fishing poles again.