PDA

View Full Version : Ashraf Ismail twitter Q&A going on

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Write your question under the hashtag #AskAsh . They will be answered by 3 PM EST. Make sure the questions can also be answered in 150 characters.

Don't have a twitter account? Ask your question here and I'll mention it to Ashraf under YOUR name. Make sure the question is no linger than 150 characters.

More organised summary of most questions and their answers :
http://nickelbackdaniels.tumblr.com/post/53461685944/new-info-about-aciv-bf-confirmed-by-acs-official

Main points:

Q:Can the players stealth their way throughout the WHOLE game and storyline? I’d love to be able to do so.
AC:You can stealth your way through about 85% of the game, but there are some forced battles, like boarding actions.

Q: Can you tell us more about Social Stealth, the core pillar and original idea of AC, in #AC4BF?
AC: We’ve listened to our fans and brought back several elements from #AC2 and #ACB, like new hire groups like drunken pirates…and we have new tools that will manipulate the crowd in fun ways.

Q: Will there be Assassin tombs like in AC2 or something of that type which will be back in Assassins’s Creed 4?
AC:Yes, we will have some of those.

Q:Who will replace Desmond?
AC:You will, you replace Desmond. Playing in first-person.

Q:Please tell me there will be animations for the sword takedown, It’s the same as the tomahawk! Everything else looks good though =D
AC:Yes, when we’ve finished polishing the game, all of the sword takedowns will be unique (Hidden Blade too!).

Q:Will we have to reload each gun with gunpowder like in Ac3 or will it take the same time as ac3 to reload all 4 of Kenway’s guns?
AC:Edward’s four flintlocks actually reload faster than Connor’s… It’s that way so you don’t have to wait around forever.

Q:What is the total number of hours in the game? I mean, the main story…?
AC:The main story is 15-20 hours, but the goal is to have you get lost in the world, spending even more time in it!

Q:Is it true that the gun can be aimed manually?
AC:Yes, we have third-person free aim.

Q:Which is the most significant difference in gameplay for #AC4BlackFlag?
AC:Most significant differences are the naval combat and exploration gameplay.

Q:What’s the present day storyline and how does it align with the previous AC’s?
AC:We pick up right after #AC3, but now we’re inside Abstergo researching Edward Kenway because he does something important.

Q:Can we crouch? Or, is it area based like foliage cover?
AC:It is foliage cover, but when you come out of the foliage you can remain crouched.

Q:Will you be able to get four double barrel pistols?
AC:No double barrel pistols… maybe next time. :)

Q:Will AC4 Feature some sort of Character customization or anything like that for the user using the Animus?
AC:No, there is no character customization in the present day, but you can have a bit of fun with your Animus workstation.

Q:Will Edward be easy to like, like Ezio, or the cold blooded killer, like Altaïr?
AC:He has his flaws but these make him endearing!

Q:Is this going to be a larger world than Assassin’s Creed 3 with more missions?
AC:Yes the world is bigger and there are tons of cohesive side activities and side missions… more than any previous AC. And all of the side mission/activities have something that they give you, like a tangible in-game *thing*.

Q:Will the side missions open up gradually throughout the storyline of AC4, Or will they all be available right when u start the game?
AC:Within the first 4 hours of the game, all of the side missions will be unlocked… And the entire Caribbean world will be open to you to explore after about one hour.

Q:Will there be optional objectives in Black Flag? If so, how difficult will they be to achieve?
AC:Yes, there will be optional objectives, but they’re more about gameplay variation than difficulty.

Q:In regards to locations like Plantations & Forts, do they “reset” after a certain time so you can raid them again?
AC:Plantations, yes. Forts have side missions connected to them and become friendly, so they attack your enemies!

Q:Will the factions from the AC2 trilogy (Thieves, Courtesans, Mercenaries) be making a comeback?
AC:We have new factions that should be familiar to AC fans, with slight twists in their gameplay.

Q:Are Edward’s tattoo’s customizable?
AC:Nope, Edward’s tattoos are not customizable.

Q:Will you be able to customize what weapons you duel wield. Like a sword on your right hand and a flintlock on your left?
AC:You always dual-wield either cutlasses or Hidden Blades, but you can quickly switch to a pistol in the middle of a combo.

Q:What inspired the ideas of pirates for Black Flag?
AC:Pirates are freaking awesome! :) We’ve always wanted to do a pirate game and there were no other games at handled it from a gritty, authentic perspective.

Here's Ashraf sending you his farewell, till next time:
http://instagram.com/p/ayySe9PH_j/

You can find the whole convo here:
https://twitter.com/assassinscreed

Tat's it folks, the Q&A is over, I will post as much screens as I can. There still are more Q&As to come so don't lose hope yet.[/B][/SIZE]

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 05:17 PM
I don't care whether it is in the game or not. I just want to know once and or all. Will manual crouching be in the game?

Sushiglutton
06-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Sweet I have a question but no twitter:

Will it be possible to quickfire all tools/gadgets in combat without having to use any kind of menu?

Thanks mate :)!

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't care whether it is in the game or not. I just want to know once and or all. Will manual crouching be in the game?

They said they are still testing it in the past Q&A . Nothing affirmative till now.

x___Luffy___x
06-20-2013, 05:22 PM
please ask them about the HOLSTERS . are they gonna make the holsters for edward or not ?

ProletariatPleb
06-20-2013, 05:27 PM
please ask them about the HOLSTERS . are they gonna make the holsters for edward or not ?
Yes ask this please.

hoodrat94
06-20-2013, 05:29 PM
How long is the main campaign? Are armors back?

Rugterwyper32
06-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Regarding cities: Do they load just the city itself or does it load their version of the respective island?

Nader-Abudiix
06-20-2013, 05:32 PM
please guys ask new questions not how hard is it to develop AC4 or is next gen easy to develop for lol

go for like Can you unlock any outfit from other assassins ? like connors robes or ezios AC2 robes

BlizzKrut
06-20-2013, 05:36 PM
How much time will it take to reload all four guns? (assuming you fired 4 shots).

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 05:38 PM
What animals can we hunt on land specifically? Thank you.

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Okay new question... Will bow and arrow return? Because hunting on land without it seems unrealistic. Don't want to just use blowpipe.

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 05:52 PM
They said they are still testing it in the past Q&A . Nothing affirmative till now.

Yeah but the situation could have changed since then.

Escappa
06-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Please ask:

60% of the missions are on land, but how many of these are in the big cities?

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Okay new question... Will bow and arrow return? Because hunting on land without it seems unrealistic. Don't want to just use blowpipe.

They also answered that. You CANNOT have any ranged weapons that kill people, so as to not make stealth excessively easy. Your only ranged weapons are guns and blowpipes. I'll ask him the question, though.

x___Luffy___x
06-20-2013, 06:06 PM
thank you for asking my ques :)

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 06:10 PM
thank you for asking my ques :)

Always glad to help :D

Ureh
06-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Horse combat? Swing swords? Able to drag enemies while on horseback using rope? Puzzle platforming and how much?

Sorry if these've already been answered.

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
They also answered that. You CANNOT have any ranged weapons that kill people, so as to not make stealth excessively easy. Your only ranged weapons are guns and blowpipes. I'll ask him the question, though.

Oh sorry!

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 06:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0Yz0G2J.png

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 06:22 PM
One more I promise! In addition to horizon random encounters at sea, will there be random encounters in the cities?

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 06:28 PM
One more I promise! In addition to horizon random encounters at sea, will there be random encounters in the cities?

Thank God you asked that. I really wanted to ask it myself, but I had already asked a question or two.

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Thank God you asked that. I really wanted to ask it myself, but I had already asked a question or two.

:)

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Is it still going on?
Could someone ask if the islands are discoverable by boat or they unlock on the map after certain missions?

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Is it still going on?
Could someone ask if the islands are discoverable by boat or they unlock on the map after certain missions?

Actually, the whole world opens after 1 hour in. The thing is, if you decide to explore the whole world from the beginning, you will face far superior ships that WILL PROBABLY shoot you down to death. Basically, there are no magical wall boundaries, but try and explore the world and you will die due to being unprepared. It will be far easier to upgrade the jackdaw and dicover the world while still being able to survive. Do you still want me to ask your question?

AdamPearce
06-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Could you please Ask him: Are the outfits bug in the cinematics has been resolved for AC4? + Did you thought about putting back Dynamic Camera for Air Assassination with Slow-Motion, cause it was awesome in ACR.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Actually, the whole world opens after 1 hour in. The thing is, if you decide to explore the whole world from the beginning, you will face far superior ships that WILL PROBABLY shoot you down to death. Basically, there are no magical wall boundaries, but try and explore the world and you will die due to being unprepared. It will be far easier to upgrade the jackdaw and dicover the world while still being able to survive. Do you still want me to ask your question?
Ah thanks. I am just still curious as to the WAY we discover them. Are there harbors or we just have a loading screen after we click on a map location and we transport there?
You could ask something like that perhaps! Thanks!

x___Luffy___x
06-20-2013, 06:49 PM
im just curious... so did they tell anything about the holsters ?

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Ah thanks. I am just still curious as to the WAY we discover them. Are there harbors or we just have a loading screen after we click on a map location and we transport there?
You could ask something like that perhaps! Thanks!

Well, you first have to discover them by sailing to the location. Do you want me to ask him about what do we have to do to fast travel there after discovering them thr first time?

OR do you want me to ask him whether or not these islands and locations will initially be on the map or will they be hidden until we discover them?

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 06:54 PM
im just curious... so did they tell anything about the holsters ?

Ashraf will start answering the questions after an hour from now. I don't guarantee that he will answer all the questions, if even most, but if he answers any questions, I will be sure to report to you guys.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Well, you first have to discover them by sailing to the location. Do you want me to ask him about what do we have to do to fast travel there after discovering them thr first time?

OR do you want me to ask him whether or not these islands and locations will initially be on the map or will they be hidden until we discover them?
Ask him the 2nd question! Thanks! xD

x___Luffy___x
06-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Ashraf will start answering the questions after an hour from now. I don't guarantee that he will answer all the questions, if even most, but if he answers any questions, I will be sure to report to you guys.

thanks

ACfan443
06-20-2013, 08:12 PM
He's started answering the questions.

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 08:19 PM
I'll post the main points in the original post then the screenshots after it's finished.

lothario-da-be
06-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Write your question under the hashtag #AskAsh . They will be answered by 3 PM EST. Make sure the questions can also be answered in 150 characters.

Don't have a twitter account? Ask your question here and I'll mention it to Ashraf under YOUR name. Make sure the question is no linger than 150 characters.

Main points:

-Campaign is 15-20 hours long (wow that is really short for a game that is supposedly in the making for 2 years. At least they give us quality in exchange for quantity)

-Edward's guns will reload faster than those of Connor, so as to keep the actions going.

-AC2-like tombs are back. WOOHOO!
They said ac3 would be 20 hours story, yeahh, they ment 10, if they do the same, this game will be like 8 hours.

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Are guards' reactions based more on line of sight (AC2) or telepathy (AC3)? In other words, will we be able to escape without having the whole town after us?

MadJC1986
06-20-2013, 08:23 PM
They said ac3 would be 20 hours story, yeahh, they ment 10, if they do the same, this game will be like 8 hours.

I took me about 60 hours to finish AC3. If you don't rush through, you might even enjoy it much more.

lothario-da-be
06-20-2013, 08:30 PM
I took me about 60 hours to finish AC3. If you don't rush through, you might even enjoy it much more.
I already said multiple times, i don't rush my games, ac3 took me 48 hours. But the story is important too! What do you prefer, a 20 hour good story or a 10 hour good story?

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Did he say anything about the crouching situation? Can you send me link of the twitter page?

Bastiaen
06-20-2013, 08:34 PM

Are you kidding!? I spend between 30-40 hours on each playthrough of AC3 (with side content). I had no idea the story was so short. I spend about 12 hours on ac1. I'm just happy with another game, myself.

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 08:34 PM

To be fair, he did say they wanted you to feel engrossed in the world and explore it. So if you don't rush the game and do a bit of exploring, you can be guaranteed to squeeze a few more hours.

lothario-da-be
06-20-2013, 08:36 PM

-When they finish polishing the game ALL the takedown animations of Edward will change, including the hidden blade animation.
Don't understand this, can you explain please?

lothario-da-be
06-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Are you kidding!? I spend between 30-40 hours on each playthrough of AC3 (with side content). I had no idea the story was so short. I spend about 12 hours on ac1. I'm just happy with another game, myself.
Me too, see other posts, but the story was pretty short, i want to explore more of Connor character and story.

AidenPixxel
06-20-2013, 08:38 PM
About crouching:
It is foliage cover, but when you come out of the foliage you can remain crouched

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Did he say anything about the crouching situation? Can you send me link of the twitter page?

He said "you can remain crouched after coming out of foliage". That is the EXACT QUOTE. However, I don't know if that means we can crouch in normal conditions, without initially being in foliage

Bastiaen
06-20-2013, 08:41 PM

I respect you. My longest play was 45 hours. I wasted a lot of time grinding for swords as Haytham, which Connor didn't end up having and had a much easier time acquiring.

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Don't understand this, can you explain please?

You seen in the game play when Edward boards the other ship and takes down enemies? He takes them out via running assassination using his swords. These animations are allegedly going to be unique when the game is polished. Also, the hidden blade animations will change as well.

lothario-da-be
06-20-2013, 08:46 PM
You seen in the game play when Edward boards the other ship and takes down enemies? He takes them out via running assassination using his swords. These animations are allegedly going to be unique when the game is polished. Also, the hidden blade animations will change as well.
I still don't see what they are going to do, change animations? For what purpose?Unique? How do you mean unique other animations then Connor? Sorry for not understanding :p

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 08:46 PM
he said "you can remain crouched after coming out of foliage". That is the exact quote. However, i don't know if that means we can crouch in normal conditions, without initially being in foliage

god dammit be straight with me ash

STDlyMcStudpants
06-20-2013, 08:47 PM
15 to 20- hours is actually a pretty long campaign..that means it will take about 30 to 40 hrs to complete the game if you are one to do side missions and treasure hunt

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 08:47 PM
I still don't see what they are going to do, change animations? For what purpose?Unique? How do you mean unique other animations then Connor? Sorry for not understanding :p

People have been complaining that in the e3 demo eward's movements were too much like Connors. Ubi has clarified that when they are done polishing the game, Edward will have his own unique moves

Jexx21
06-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I got 30 hours out of AC1 my first time playing it, and I didn't even get all of the flags.

I honestly don't really care about the length of the story, just as long as it's a game that I love.

lothario-da-be
06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
15 to 20- hours is actually a pretty long campaign..that means it will take about 30 to 40 hrs to complete the game if you are one to do side missions and treasure hunt
But previous year they said ac3 was going to be 20 hours and its 10. I know the game will be longer, but the story shorter.

lothario-da-be
06-20-2013, 08:50 PM
People have been complaining that in the e3 demo eward's movements were too much like Connors. Ubi has clarified that when they are done polishing the game, Edward will have his own unique moves
okay thank you. strange, when the game is ready they will ad new things?:p

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 08:52 PM
I got 30 hours out of AC1 my first time playing it, and I didn't even get all of the flags.

I honestly don't really care about the length of the story, just as long as it's a game that I love.

^ This. People complain about ACB being nothing more than a simple expansion for AC2, but I spent more time on that game than AC1 and AC2 combined. I don't really care about campaign length as long as the world is interesting enough to explore.

I hope my question about enemy AI will be answered. That's my biggest worry at the moment, that the telepathic AI of AC3 guards will carry over to AC4. Even going back to the dumb-as-bricks guards of AC2 would be better for the fun factor.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 08:52 PM
I don't know... but I have a feeling the greatest amount on time will be spent on naval missions; despite them being 40% of total game (if I remember correctly).

I usually take my time when I play games...
For AC3 I thought it "looked" shorter because of adult Connor appearing later in the game and also because I realized I hadn't completed the homestead missions until after I had completed the game. (So I had to see Achilles being alive again after he had died. lol)

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 08:53 PM
okay thank you. strange, when the game is ready they will ad new things?:p

What? New animation? No. New weapons and outfits and stuff? Maybe.

They are just saying that by the time the game is ready, Edward will have his own unique animations different from Connor.

lothario-da-be
06-20-2013, 08:53 PM
^ This. People complain about ACB being nothing more than a simple expansion for AC2, but I spent more time on that game than AC1 and AC2 combined. I don't really care about campaign length as long as the world is interesting enough to explore.

I hope my question about enemy AI will be answered. That's my biggest worry at the moment, that the telepathic AI of AC3 guards will carry over to AC4. Even going back to the dumb-as-bricks guards of AC2 would be better for the fun factor.
First playthrough of acb was like 74 hours lol, i was getting tired in the end and stopped exploring.;)

Subject J80
06-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Holsters?holsters?holsters?holsters?holsters?holst ers?holsters?holsters?holsters?holsters?holsters?h olsters?holsters?holsters?
Holsters?holsters?holsters?holsters?holsters?holst ers?holsters?holsters?holsters?holsters?holsters?h olsters?holsters?holsters?

lothario-da-be
What? New animation? No. New weapons and outfits and stuff? Maybe.

They are just saying that by the time the game is ready, Edward will have his own unique animations different from Connor.
? thats what you said no?

SixKeys
Oh crap, I just remembered something I really wanted to ask!

Will the side missions have a story/background to them, unlike in AC3 where you just walk over to some guy who says "thanks"?

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 08:57 PM
? thats what you said no?

Yes. Sorry I got confused for a sec by your phrasing.

lothario-da-be
06-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes. Sorry I got confused for a sec by your phrasing.
ok, is my English so bad?

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Oh crap, I just remembered something I really wanted to ask!

Will the side missions have a story/background to them, unlike in AC3 where you just walk over to some guy who says "thanks"?
Also, will the side missions be more integrated into the main game? Unlike AC3? (People (and the devs, too?) thought that Connor could have gotten more support if the homestead missions had more part in the main story...

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 09:00 PM
God dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to know if you can MANUALLY crouch without stalking zones!!! It is a yes or no question Ash!!!! Stop giving us weird dodgy answers!!!!!! N

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 09:01 PM
ok, is my English so bad?

No! Of course not. It was my bad. Just forget about it

lothario-da-be
06-20-2013, 09:03 PM
No! Of course not. It was my bad. Just forget about it
okay, ( afraid my exam English this week, was going to be bad:p)

STDlyMcStudpants

Same here..not combined lol , but ACB got the most hours out of me right after ac 3.
The beauty about AC is that it has a world worth exploring and one that brings you back after the story is over.
Thats why i dont min the side missions that have nothing to do with the story, because i just love the worlds they create so much

BATISTABUS
Ugh...factions are back. One of the most useless additions to AC.

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 09:05 PM

As long as they don't HURT the game, I couldnt care less if they are in

Farlander1991
06-20-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't know, I actually used factions a lot in AC2 (not so much in ACB and ACR, mostly due to recruits, I don't need to distract guard posts - I can just arrow storm them, and I can always use recruits as a distraction... with the recruit system gone in AC4, I can see factions becoming more useful again).

STDlyMcStudpants
06-20-2013, 09:06 PM

Just something for compeletionists to waste their time on lol..but they arent "Back"
They stayed..they just changed their name to the hunting society last year ;D

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 09:07 PM

I hate them as well. They are a lazy developers' way to say that they added to social stealth.

Farlander1991
06-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Just something for compeletionists to waste their time on lol..but they arent "Back"
They stayed..they just changed their name to the hunting society last year ;D

Those weren't factions, though. You couldn't hire them or anything. Just challenges and side quests.

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 09:09 PM
That's it folks. The Q&A is over. Would you like me to attach links to each point or screenshots?

Sushiglutton
06-20-2013, 09:09 PM
It's over. "You always dual-wield either cutlasses or Hidden Blades, but you can quickly switch to a pistol in the middle of a combo." <--- interesting.

x___Luffy___x
06-20-2013, 09:11 PM
they did nt say anything about holsters :(

lasha7716
06-20-2013, 09:13 PM
did he answered about bows arrows and type of animals we will hunt?

x___Luffy___x
06-20-2013, 09:14 PM
did he answered about bows arrows and type of animals we will hunt?

nope

Rugterwyper32
06-20-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't know, I actually used factions a lot in AC2 (not so much in ACB and ACR, mostly due to recruits, I don't need to distract guard posts - I can just arrow storm them, and I can always use recruits as a distraction... with the recruit system gone in AC4, I can see factions becoming more useful again).

I can see them being useful again, too. In ACB and ACR, it usually was a case of "why should I use a faction if I can just get rid of these guys?". I used them only in missions where it was really necessary (killing the Banker, namely). And AC3 made recruits have all the options factions gave you in previous games, so if you ever needed that it was there. I just hope that they don't put a faction right in your face in some missions like "hey, this is useful" but rather make you plan out which faction would be better to use according to the mission and have them well placed for that. Give you options.
I think that has potential.

flyin-bart
06-20-2013, 09:28 PM
God dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to know if you can MANUALLY crouch without stalking zones!!! It is a yes or no question Ash!!!! Stop giving us weird dodgy answers!!!!!! N

Yes if you are playing it on a PS4 as the new controller has a CROUCH button.....no if you are playing it on a PS3. The jury is still out on the x box one version.....

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Yes if you are playing it on a PS4 as the new controller has a CROUCH button.....no if you are playing it on a PS3. The jury is still out on the x box one version.....

And you know that how?

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 09:35 PM
I like the factions, so I don't mind that they're back. My only problem with them was that they kept the same factions for three games straight with no changes to functionality (thieves, mercnearies, courtesans/gypsies). If factions are back, they should have new skills, like the covert escort mechanic from AC3 (great idea, but sadly I almost never had the chance to use it).

dxsxhxcx
06-20-2013, 09:41 PM
-Yes, there will be optional objectives, but they're more about gameplay variation than difficulty (what in the hell does that mean? they are going to be piss easy like in AC3?)

IMO that means they're gonna tell you what to do (kill this guy this way, follow this route, don't kill anyone, use only the hidden blades, etc)

Jexx21
06-20-2013, 09:48 PM
No, they detailed this before.

Instead of having them being like "Shoot a guy with a blowpipe and he kills 3 of his allies" it's like "use the blowpipe"

Jexx21
06-20-2013, 09:50 PM
And I thought that the optional objectives in AC3 were supposed to be the hardest or something, as the fans complained a lot about them.

Farlander1991
06-20-2013, 09:52 PM
I like the factions, so I don't mind that they're back. My only problem with them was that they kept the same factions for three games straight with no changes to functionality (thieves, mercnearies, courtesans/gypsies). If factions are back, they should have new skills, like the covert escort mechanic from AC3 (great idea, but sadly I almost never had the chance to use it).

What I would really like is not only different skills, but different purpose as well. While the courtesans/gypsies did have additional advantage of being a blending group, they all were pretty much for one same purpose: distraction (even though they had different skills). And even though in AC2 I used all of the groups, it really didn't matter for the most part WHAT I used, the result was the same - I slipped by to do what I have to. Oh, I see a guard post that I want to get past by quickly, I just hire whatever's closest to me. No strategy involved, really. Unless I'm going to a big restricted zone with lots of guards in it, in which case I'd like to have courtesans with me. It would be nice to have more strategy involved in choosing what faction to hire and use, all I'm saying.

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 09:53 PM

http://i.imgur.com/dXX2EI4.png

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 09:57 PM

How do you know that? Sources?

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 10:03 PM
What I would really like is not only different skills, but different purpose as well. While the courtesans/gypsies did have additional advantage of being a blending group, they all were pretty much for one same purpose: distraction (even though they had different skills). And even though in AC2 I used all of the groups, it really didn't matter for the most part WHAT I used, the result was the same - I slipped by to do what I have to. Oh, I see a guard post that I want to get past by quickly, I just hire whatever's closest to me. No strategy involved, really. Unless I'm going to a big restricted zone with lots of guards in it, in which case I'd like to have courtesans with me. It would be nice to have more strategy involved in choosing what faction to hire and use, all I'm saying.

I agree they all pretty much serve the same purpose, but what other abilities would you suggest? I honestly can't think of any other use for factions besides distraction. What other function can you think of that would require, as you say, more strategy?

MadJC1986
06-20-2013, 10:04 PM

That would be a buying reason for the PS4! ;)

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 10:04 PM
This Tumblr post has just summed up most of his answers in one place if you want to take a look: http://nickelbackdaniels.tumblr.com/post/53461685944/new-info-about-aciv-bf-confirmed-by-acs-official

ProletariatPleb
06-20-2013, 10:11 PM
15-20 hours? WHAT, last time they said AC3 is 30-40hours long or something and it was barely 10-12(same as Brotherhood for me). I hope that doesn't mean it's insanely short 6 hr game that would be...CoD like.

BATISTABUS
06-20-2013, 10:13 PM
For me, factions are just as harmful to the game as the Brotherhood recruits they decided to remove. They're an easy and one dimensional solution to getting by guards. Unless they've made significant fundamental changes to the system, I can't see how they would provide anything meaningful.

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 10:13 PM
This Tumblr post has just summed up most of his answers in one place if you want to take a look: http://nickelbackdaniels.tumblr.com/post/53461685944/new-info-about-aciv-bf-confirmed-by-acs-official

Will include. Thanks :)

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 10:42 PM
People keep asking for more stealth tools, but never explain what kind of options these should be. If you don't think factions are a good stealth option, what would you replace them with? And don't say "nothing, we should kill everyone using only our fists!" because simply removing stuff without adding something new will result in people complaining about lack of content.

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 10:54 PM
People keep asking for more stealth tools, but never explain what kind of options these should be. If you don't think factions are a good stealth option, what would you replace them with? And don't say "nothing, we should kill everyone using only our fists!" because simply removing stuff without adding something new will result in people complaining about lack of content.

About the factions, I though about their different functions. *****s lure them away, then assassinate guards silently, so you can dispose of the guards without commotion, but they can only do that for only 2 or 3 guards. On the other hand, the drunken pirates don't necessarily kill the guards, but they create TEMPORARY commotion, to attract nearby guards (more than 3). They allow you to choose lethal or non-lethal while also giving you the option of permanent but few, or temporary but many. This is my personal speculation, but i hope they come with some more intuitive and fleshed out ideas. They are a stealth tool, but not a very refined one. I'd also like to see other social stealth traits and if they even improved them at all (crowd blending and such).

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 11:07 PM
About the factions, I though about their different functions. *****s lure them away, then assassinate guards silently, so you can dispose of the guards without commotion, but they can only do that for only 2 or 3 guards. On the other hand, the drunken pirates don't necessarily kill the guards, but they create TEMPORARY commotion, to attract nearby guards (more than 3). They allow you to choose lethal or non-lethal while also giving you the option of permanent but few, or temporary but many. This is my personal speculation, but i hope they come with some more intuitive and fleshed out ideas. They are a stealth tool, but not a very refined one. I'd also like to see other social stealth traits and if they even improved them at all (crowd blending and such).

You only answered one part of my question. You say "I'd also like to see other social stealth traits" without specifying what kinds of things you're talking about. I'm saying I like the factions because I personally can't think of anything better to replace them as a distraction tool. If other people think the factions aren't a good stealth tool, what do you think WOULD be a good gameplay addition?

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 11:13 PM
You only answered one part of my question. You say "I'd also like to see other social stealth traits" without specifying what kinds of things you're talking about. I'm saying I like the factions because I personally can't think of anything better to replace them as a distraction tool. If other people think the factions aren't a good stealth tool, what do you think WOULD be a good gameplay addition?

I'd like to see the game put a stealth emphasis on darkness and shadows, like splinter cell and dishonored.

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 11:17 PM
I'd like to see the game put a stealth emphasis on darkness and shadows, like splinter cell and dishonored.

This I can agree with, although it might be tricky to find the balance between overpowered and ridiculous. E.g. in a well-lit corridor you find the one corner without a candle and you somehow become totally invisible to guards.

Assassin_M
06-20-2013, 11:19 PM
That works for closed areas....what about the open? You can`t replace an Open world mechanic (mostly) with mechanics that only work for closed areas

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 11:21 PM
That works for closed areas....what about the open? You can`t replace an Open world mechanic (mostly) with mechanics that only work for closed areas

.................................................. ......never mind....

Assassin_M
06-20-2013, 11:23 PM
.................................................. ......never mind....
lol xD

I didn't mean to put you down :P

I know this`ll sound surprising, but i`m actually glad the factions are coming back..

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 11:27 PM
lol xD

I didn't mean to put you down :P

I know this`ll sound surprising, but i`m actually glad the factions are coming back..

Yeah me too.....kinda. I never really cared about them. Never really used them in any of the ezio games. And thus, I don't really care that they are coming back. Depending on how useful they are, I may or may not actually use them. I don't understand why everyone is upset about it. It doesn't HURT the game, so why be sad?

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 11:27 PM

What I meant is that I want to see what they have in store, not that I believe that they no new stealth traits.

However, I have some suggestions of mine:
I want a mix between the AC1 and AC2 social stealth systems. From AC1, I liked the detection system and the investigation system after a chase, as in AC1 detection wasn't about killing or simply being detected by guards for no reason, In AC1 you got detected for doing abnormal actions, like climbing and sprinting. From AC2, I'd like the crowd blending, but I do believe that it should be more improved than that of AC2. It's too silly to just "blend" between a group of 4 people. Also, who in the hell has a fixed group number of 4 people? Firstly, I want the crowds to have a varied number of people, with only a minimum number of 5 people per group to have proper "blending". I'd also like the crowds to dynamically change. As in, the 5 people group I am in now, can only have 2 people leave it after a minute, deeming it useless, forcing you to actively change blend groups. As for actual stealth tools, I don't really think there are anything extra they should have. Ubisoft pretty much has every standard stealth tool all the other stealth games have. Maybe they can add binoculars to implement a enemy-tagging system like in Far Cry 3, but otherwise, they have every tool in the book. It's the stealth mechanics and AI interaction systems that need improving.

Assassin_M
06-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Yeah me too.....kinda. I never really cared about them. Never really used them in any of the ezio games. And thus, I don't really care that they are coming back. Depending on how useful they are, I may or may not actually use them. I don't understand why everyone is upset about it. It doesn't HURT the game, so why be sad?
I think it`s because it may seem like nothing new to most people...

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 11:32 PM
I think it`s because it may seem like nothing new to most people...

From what I can tell, ubisoft really knows what they are doing this time around. I say that if they stay true to their word on the things they have promised, then I couldnt care less about factions, whether they benefit the game or not.

Assassin_M
06-20-2013, 11:36 PM
From what I can tell, ubisoft really knows what they are doing this time around. I say that if they stay true to their word on the things they have promised, then I couldnt care less about factions, whether they benefit the game or not.
I like to believe factions will be cool to see again...they may not be an innovation, but they`re something...

montagemik
06-20-2013, 11:37 PM

Disguises / guard uniforms . (our AC3 recruit 'escorts' thought this a wise tactic)

Wolfmeister1010
06-20-2013, 11:40 PM
I like to believe factions will be cool to see again...they may not be an innovation, but they`re something...
Go to the new thread "season pass". It is really interesting.... :0

ShadowFiend1993
06-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Glad I got my questions answered, I was curious to know how forts and the like are going to work, I was worried there would be nothing to do after the main story and side missions were completed, but considering places like Plantations get reset so you can attack them again that should add plenty of replay value.
Overall pretty happy at what we learned from this Q&A.

ProletariatPleb
06-20-2013, 11:43 PM
The only faction I find stupid is courtesans/romani/*****s/whateverthey'recallednow because it seems rather..cheap......guy moving around with chicks dancing around him wound ATTRACT attention instead of the opposite.

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Disguises / guard uniforms . (our AC3 recruit 'escorts' thought this a wise tactic)

That's one feature to add to the list. Also, taking off your assassin robes when being chased, to actually change your appearance so when you escape by blending, so it actually makes sense.

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Glad I got my questions answered, I was curious to know how forts and the like are going to work, I was worried there would be nothing to do after the main story and side missions were completed, but considering places like Plantations get reset so you can attack them again that should add plenty of replay value.
Overall pretty happy at what we learned from this Q&A.

I honestly would have liked forts to reset too.

ShadowFiend1993
06-20-2013, 11:55 PM
I honestly would have liked forts to reset too.

I know he didn't mention it in the Q&A, but i'm pretty sure I read somewhere that enemies can retake forts that you've captured, kind of like with the Dens in ACR I guess.

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 11:56 PM
I love the idea of disguises and have been requesting them from the beginning. The only problem with them is, again, possibly being overpowered. Disguises would need to be not perfect, similar to the Janissary disguise in ACR. Just like in that game, there should be a time limit to how long you can move outside a blend group while wearing a disguise before attracting attention.

ArabianFrost
06-21-2013, 12:02 AM
I know he didn't mention it in the Q&A, but i'm pretty sure I read somewhere that enemies can retake forts that you've captured, kind of like with the Dens in ACR I guess.

I read that too, but why didn't he mention that? Maybe it's something they still have in the works and not fully disclosed on it. He also said that the forts have related stories, so I guess it wouldn't make sense to replay the story again or replay it without the initial story of capturing the fort?

AC2_alex
06-21-2013, 12:22 AM
I really liked the faction gameplay from AC2, so I'm glad its coming back!

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 12:27 AM
What I meant is that I want to see what they have in store, not that I believe that they no new stealth traits.

However, I have some suggestions of mine:
I want a mix between the AC1 and AC2 social stealth systems. From AC1, I liked the detection system and the investigation system after a chase, as in AC1 detection wasn't about killing or simply being detected by guards for no reason, In AC1 you got detected for doing abnormal actions, like climbing and sprinting. From AC2, I'd like the crowd blending, but I do believe that it should be more improved than that of AC2. It's too silly to just "blend" between a group of 4 people. Also, who in the hell has a fixed group number of 4 people? Firstly, I want the crowds to have a varied number of people, with only a minimum number of 5 people per group to have proper "blending". I'd also like the crowds to dynamically change. As in, the 5 people group I am in now, can only have 2 people leave it after a minute, deeming it useless, forcing you to actively change blend groups. As for actual stealth tools, I don't really think there are anything extra they should have. Ubisoft pretty much has every standard stealth tool all the other stealth games have. Maybe they can add binoculars to implement a enemy-tagging system like in Far Cry 3, but otherwise, they have every tool in the book. It's the stealth mechanics and AI interaction systems that need improving.

I actually prefer the blending mechanic of AC3 over the crowd blending mechanic of AC2-ACR.

And also, I could climb a building and sprint infront of guards whenever I wanted to, as long as they weren't specifically looking for someone suspicious. (If it was the yellow eye, they don't care if you sprint or climb unless it's a rooftop guard, if it's a red eye, they do care)

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 12:30 AM
This I can agree with, although it might be tricky to find the balance between overpowered and ridiculous. E.g. in a well-lit corridor you find the one corner without a candle and you somehow become totally invisible to guards.

Also.. aren't Assassins supposed to have a thing against using shadows and darkness?

"Hide in plain sight"

AC2_alex
06-21-2013, 12:32 AM
The escape system in AC3 was terrible and it made trans-city navigation a chore. I basically never ran on the rooftops because the guards were way to picky. Also it took for ever to be back in the clear once you had escaped them. The AC1 escape system was the best imo.

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 01:36 AM
I personally think the AC2-ACR escape system was the best.

SixKeys
06-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Also.. aren't Assassins supposed to have a thing against using shadows and darkness?

"Hide in plain sight"

This is true, which is why I'm not terribly keen on the idea of utilizing shadows. It suits other stealth games, but AC is about social stealth.

I prefer the AC2-ACR blend mechanic over AC3 simply because the AC3 one was so unreliable. Groups of 4-5 civilians may not be terribly realistic, but they are at least easily recognizable as blend spots. In AC3 it often wouldn't read two civilians standing next to each other as a blend group. The player simply had to take a wild guess which civilians they could actually blend with. Not much fun when you're being chased and frantically looking around for a hiding spot. It's like having two types of haybales: one which works as a hiding spot and one which doesn't, and you can never identify which is which.

Assassin_M
06-21-2013, 02:06 AM
AC3 it often wouldn't read two civilians standing next to each other as a blend group. The player simply had to take a wild guess which civilians they could actually blend with. Not much fun when you're being chased and frantically looking around for a hiding spot. It's like having two types of haybales: one which works as a hiding spot and one which doesn't, and you can never identify which is which.
This never happened with me...

SixKeys
06-21-2013, 02:07 AM
This never happened with me...

Consider yourself lucky then. Happened to me all the frickin' time, which is one of the reasons I hate AC3.

Assassin_M
06-21-2013, 02:15 AM
Consider yourself lucky then. Happened to me all the frickin' time, which is one of the reasons I hate AC3.
but shouldn't that mean that it`s not a problem with the mechanic itself?? I mean, since apparently it is glitch, maybe they can polish AC III`s blending?? no`amean??

roostersrule2
06-21-2013, 02:17 AM
This is true, which is why I'm not terribly keen on the idea of utilizing shadows. It suits other stealth games, but AC is about social stealth.

I prefer the AC2-ACR blend mechanic over AC3 simply because the AC3 one was so unreliable. Groups of 4-5 civilians may not be terribly realistic, but they are at least easily recognizable as blend spots. In AC3 it often wouldn't read two civilians standing next to each other as a blend group. The player simply had to take a wild guess which civilians they could actually blend with. Not much fun when you're being chased and frantically looking around for a hiding spot. It's like having two types of haybales: one which works as a hiding spot and one which doesn't, and you can never identify which is which.This, it was the most annoying thing.

LoyalACFan
06-21-2013, 02:21 AM
Q:Is this going to be a larger world than Assassin’s Creed 3 with more missions?
AC:Yes the world is bigger and there are tons of cohesive side activities and side missions… more than any previous AC. And all of the side mission/activities have something that they give you, like a tangible in-game *thing*.

I really, really hope this comes true. So many of AC3's side missions were pointless, and didn't even reward you once you finished them. And the tangible in-game "thing" he's talking about better not be something idiotic, like Connor's golden plate collection... :nonchalance:

Wolfmeister1010
06-21-2013, 02:37 AM
I really, really hope this comes true. So many of AC3's side missions were pointless, and didn't even reward you once you finished them. And the tangible in-game "thing" he's talking about better not be something idiotic, like Connor's golden plate collection... :nonchalance:

Was there even an actual reward for the hunting society missions, or the fight club missions?

Assassin_M
06-21-2013, 02:40 AM
Was there even an actual reward for the hunting society missions, or the fight club missions?
A nice golden plate...

ArabianFrost
06-21-2013, 02:46 AM
A nice golden plate...

You couldn't even use it to eat or throw at Templars as a weapon?

Wolfmeister1010
A nice golden plate...

So shiny it was almost worth it

Jexx21
I never did the AC3 side missions, but I like the sound of that reward. I always loved unlocking the extra cosmetic room features.

ArabianFrost
06-21-2013, 02:50 AM
I actually prefer the blending mechanic of AC3 over the crowd blending mechanic of AC2-ACR.

And also, I could climb a building and sprint infront of guards whenever I wanted to, as long as they weren't specifically looking for someone suspicious. (If it was the yellow eye, they don't care if you sprint or climb unless it's a rooftop guard, if it's a red eye, they do care)

Yeah. Guards only got suspicious when the eye was red, but still, at a certain point, you couldn't go running around like an idiot. I still believe AC1 has the best escape and detection system. I rarely remember ever having to blend in AC2 or ACR (too easy to just kill), which is maybe why I don't quite remember it, but I always thought the blending seemed a bit too ridiculous.

pacmanate
06-21-2013, 02:54 AM
Nicw sumnery

SixKeys
06-21-2013, 03:08 AM
Yeah. Guards only got suspicious when the eye was red, but still, at a certain point, you couldn't go running around like an idiot. I still believe AC1 has the best escape and detection system. I rarely remember ever having to blend in AC2 or ACR (too easy to just kill), which is maybe why I don't quite remember it, but I always thought the blending seemed a bit too ridiculous.

The blending wasn't the problem in AC2-ACR, it was the "escape zone" area which was far too small. In AC1 guards simply would not give up until you found a hiding spot, they would chase you to the ends of the earth. If they lost your tracks, they would still patrol with their swords out, ready to leap into action if they spotted you. In AC2 they chased you for about 10 seconds, then got bored and completely forgot about you. AC2's blending mechanic was fine, it just wasn't very useful when you could just run around for half a minute and lose your enemies.

ArabianFrost
06-21-2013, 03:23 AM
The blending wasn't the problem in AC2-ACR, it was the "escape zone" area which was far too small. In AC1 guards simply would not give up until you found a hiding spot, they would chase you to the ends of the earth. If they lost your tracks, they would still patrol with their swords out, ready to leap into action if they spotted you. In AC2 they chased you for about 10 seconds, then got bored and completely forgot about you. AC2's blending mechanic was fine, it just wasn't very useful when you could just run around for half a minute and lose your enemies.

You are correct. Considering they have been looking to make guards even less aggressive in AC4, I don't believe it will be any better, unfortunately.

Rugterwyper32
06-21-2013, 03:28 AM

Agreed. I like the concept of AC2/B/R blending, but escaping was WAY too easy. Personally, I tried an escape similar to the one in the AC1 CGI intro, but the one part that didn't permit that was the lack of a blending mechanic between people other than monks. AC2's system actually permitted something like that, except guards gave up too easily and you'd probably never get to that point. Part of why I feel chases in recent games have lost the charm form AC1, guards have no will to chase you around from one end of the city to the other if needed. No sense of urgency there.

Megas_Doux
06-21-2013, 03:32 AM
AC3´s guards are the most persistent ones, FACT!

roostersrule2
06-21-2013, 03:35 AM
AC1 has the best guards to be chased by.
AC2-ACR have the easiest guards to get away from.
AC3 has the most annoying ******ed guards.

GunnarGunderson
06-21-2013, 03:39 AM
Wish I could've asked what the point of freeaim is if you can tap the fire button to kill 4 guys without taking a hit

ProletariatPleb
06-21-2013, 03:39 AM
You are correct. Considering they have been looking to make guards even less aggressive in AC4, I don't believe it will be any better, unfortunately.
Less? Didn't they say they are more aggressive and attack faster?

Nailed it.

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 03:40 AM

I don't think they're trying to make guards less aggressive, they're just trying to get rid of the way that in AC3, when you got into a fight all of a sudden all redcoats in the city started showing up at your footsteps.

I have got into battles in AC3 that simply wouldn't end because the guards would respawn and come to aid way too quickly.

The range of detection was way too large and would drag almost every single guard into the chase.

It was not like that in AC1. In AC1 I can get into a battle with a rooftop guard usually without attracting the attention of the guards below, I can't do that in AC3.

As for bringing back the chasing system from AC1, I don't feel like they should bring that back entirely, because that system made you have to get in a hiding spot, even though you should of thrown them off your trail a while ago. However, they can lengthen the amount of time guards will chase you and/or make the circle that you have to get out of larger.

Megas_Doux
06-21-2013, 03:42 AM
I don't think they're trying to make guards less aggressive, they're just trying to get rid of the way that in AC3, when you got into a fight all of a sudden all redcoats in the city started showing up at your footsteps.

I have got into battles in AC3 that simply wouldn't end because the guards would respawn and come to aid way too quickly.

The range of detection was way too large and would drag almost every single guard into the chase.

It was not like that in AC1. In AC1 I can get into a battle with a rooftop guard usually without attracting the attention of the guards below, I can't do that in AC3.

As for bringing back the chasing system from AC1, I don't feel like they should bring that back entirely, because that system made you have to get in a hiding spot, even though you should of thrown them off your trail a while ago. However, they can lengthen the amount of time guards will chase you and/or make the circle that you have to get out of larger.

This!!!!!!

AC3, atlhough still easy, had arguably the best guards in the series! Unlike ALL the previous games, even AC1, they do not runaway in fear, for example.......

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 03:44 AM
Yea, what happened to the fear system? It made sense for guards to run away if you beat higher rank guards.

Megas_Doux
06-21-2013, 03:46 AM
Yea, what happened to the fear system? It made sense for guards to run away if you beat higher rank guards.

I am glad is gone!

ArabianFrost
06-21-2013, 03:47 AM
Less? Didn't they say they are more aggressive and attack faster?

I mean less aggressive in terms of chasing you.

roostersrule2
06-21-2013, 03:48 AM
I am glad is gone!I liked it, because if you're killing 100's of guards, the smarter guards in real life would run away.

Megas_Doux
06-21-2013, 03:50 AM
I liked it, because if you're killing 100's of guards, the smarter guards in real life would run away.

Yes, but it makes the game even easier..... AC´s combat is finally improving! Combat suring Ezio´s trilogy is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE joke, and a VERY bad one!

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 03:54 AM
Oh, nope, the morale system isn't gone actually. It just didn't happen as often. That sucks, I liked being the one who chased after guards.

kosmoscreed
06-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Nice Q&A, after AC3 disappointment this sound like it's going back to the old days when AC was fun and stealth matters.

Assassin_M
06-21-2013, 05:02 AM
Nice Q&A, after AC3 disappointment this sound like it's going back to the old days when AC was fun and stealth matters.
Might I quote for you the same phrase from June 2012??

Ureh
06-21-2013, 05:16 AM

Actually I thought AC3 guards are the easiest to escape, thanks in large part to the foliage (it's extremly overpowered), chase breakers and leap of faiths usually end the chase immediately. Boston and New York both had maze-like alleys that allow you to break line of sight easily (even more so if smoke bombs were implemented). The main problem is that the AI is psychic: I was lvl 3 notoriety, but was completely undetected and two guards somehow saw me from the other side of a building! How?! Do they have x-ray vision?! edit: Oh right, and sometimes the guards just spawn out of thin air.

Rooftop guards alerting the ones on the ground made sense and challenged your stealth skills a bit, but I understand it's inconvenient at times (when we just want to freerun like there's not tomorrow) and unforgiving to quite a few people.

Wish I could've asked what the point of freeaim is if you can tap the fire button to kill 4 guys without taking a hit

If freeaim is exactly as it sounds (same as AC3 right?), then it allows for tactical marksmanship. Say you only want to shoot one guard or an explosive, the freeaim will let you. Also helps if you only want to assassinate/tackle one target only.

Farlander1991
06-21-2013, 08:20 AM
I agree they all pretty much serve the same purpose, but what other abilities would you suggest? I honestly can't think of any other use for factions besides distraction. What other function can you think of that would require, as you say, more strategy?

Well, it really depends on the design of the whole thing, but, really, factions should be, like a paid (but not too cheap, otherwise they'd be overpowered) comfort that can serve specific purposes in different situations.

So, let's say, an assassination mission: there's an approach, assassination and escape involved. So, for approach (and generally speaking escape) we have our controllable moving blending spots. What would be useful in assassination stage? Well, if we want to be quiet, it would be very useful to hide the body to the nearest hiding spot, right? Or we can pay somebody to do it, so we could quickly go into a different direction and avoid suspicion of the guards ourselves. And if we're not quiet, we will be chased, and chase breakers that we could place wherever we like (basically, controllable paid vigilantes) would be very useful.

It can also be based on level design. Like, if there are places with just HUGE amount of guards, you may want to lure them away. Something like a riot nearby, but, you know, that always works properly :D (Mercenaries in AC2 would fight as a distrcation, sure, but they didn't actually attract lots of attention from around the place, and such a 'commotion distraction that lures a lot, but not all, guards' could be useful).

Basically, think in terms of, what would make certain types of missions/certain types of locations more comfortable (but not an insta-win), and add that as a paid function to the factions. (Though, of course, the payment has to be properly balanced, not like in AC2 where it's insanely cheap all the time).

Plus, you know, it also may be actions affecting system behavior.
Like, maybe you could hire somebody to plant a black spot/black mark on a person or something, and he just goes crazy and alarmed and his patrol route tries to find the nearest secluded spot now thinking he will be safe there :D

Sushiglutton
06-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Awesome work on this thread Frost and Thanks for asking my question!

kosmoscreed
06-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Might I quote for you the same phrase from June 2012??

Not sure what you want to say, but go ahead and quote whatever you want ;)

Assassin_M
06-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Not sure what you want to say, but go ahead and quote whatever you want ;)
what i`m trying to say is, AC III SOUNDED just as awesome as this and we all hailed it as the best AC ever after the disappointment many people saw with ACR, but 1 year later...here we are..

don`t get your hopes up in the sky about what you HEAR

ArabianFrost
06-21-2013, 12:06 PM
what i`m trying to say is, AC III SOUNDED just as awesome as this and we all hailed it as the best AC ever after the disappointment many people saw with ACR, but 1 year later...here we are..

Haven't you heard, you can stealth your way throughout 85% of the game? That alone sounds bloody brilliant and you can't fake statistics (for the most part). I am a notch excited above cautious excited. Trust me, this game will nail it or at least be the best game we will get in the post-AC2 era.

Assassin_M
06-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Haven't you heard, you can stealth your way throughout 85% of the game? That alone sounds bloody brilliant and you can't fake statistics (for the most part). I am a notch excited above cautious excited. Trust me, this game will nail it or at least be the best game we will get in the post-AC2 era.
that depends on what the stealth is like...you people seem to forget that WE SAW RANDOM MISSIONS, but never got them

masterfenix2009
06-21-2013, 12:09 PM

I think it is a little unnecessary to get so paranoid about ACIV because of AC3's disappointment to fans. Then again, I wouldn't know, considering I am one of the few people that feels that he got everything he wanted from AC3 ,and felt that what he saw in the E3 demo was the game that he purchased.

ArabianFrost
06-21-2013, 12:18 PM
that depends on what the stealth is like...you people seem to forget that WE SAW RANDOM MISSIONS, but never got them

In the Loomer interview, Ashraf said they're trying to make the stealth both challenging, but capable of being mastered at the same time. They sound like they are putting a lot of effort into stealth and ARE BEING VOCAL ABOUT STEALTH. I don't know about the random events, but they seemed like a passing wind for me in terms of marketing. I understand that they can be elusive and remove features, but they aren't idiotic enough to the extent to market something that heavily then just drop the ball on it and make it sub-par. Maybe you're a tad-bit too pessimistic. I understand being cautious, but we can't discredit every piece of info we get, even though some of it is heavily marketed and not at all unachievable.

ArabianFrost
06-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Awesome work on this thread Frost and Thanks for asking my question!

Always glad to be of service Sushi. I am sorry Ashraf didn't answer your question in particular, but at least he answered something heavily related to it. Maybe next we will have more luck :)

pacmanate
They are marketing this as a stealth game all the time, I have faith.

Farlander1991
Rule #1 about Game Development: **** always happens, every day :D Especially since they're still working on the stealth system. We won't know the exact shape and form it will take in the final game until we see the final game.

Though, personally, I'm fairly optimistic about Black Flag.

pacmanate
06-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Rule #1 about Game Development: **** always happens, every day :D Especially since they're still working on the stealth system. We won't know the exact shape and form it will take in the final game until we see the final game.

Though, personally, I'm fairly optimistic about Black Flag.

I think it will be good stealthwise. They said from the start they wanted stealth, it was one of 3 main focuses. Guard placement is considered for missions etc for stealth. It seems like they really want to do this properly, not just mission structure, but world structure.

dxsxhxcx
06-21-2013, 02:46 PM
IMO AC will only begin to walk towards a "perfect" stealth system when the Devs realize that combat should be challenging enough to properly reward and incentive the stealth gamestyle.

IMO it's about time for them to implement a difficulty system and if possible allow us to customize certain aspects of the AI, like guards FOV, damage dealt by the guards/player, how much time it'll take for the player become anonymous again, how many actions the player will have to do to completely decrease its notoriety, etc... it would be awesome have options like these...

AvK KiNgKoBrA
06-21-2013, 03:14 PM
I find it kinda funny that they wait until they create a full-on pirate game to now focus on stealth, IMO I dont see how AC4 bein a stealth game wit Edward bein the swash-buckling pirate that he is :confused:

kosmoscreed
06-21-2013, 03:51 PM

That's OK, I also thought that AC3 was awesome till I played it, at the end the game was OK but full of bugs and bad mission design. But I can't help to be excited by all the stuff we know from ACIV, I'm not saying that the game will be awesome, period. First we have to play it to make such statement.

Sushiglutton
06-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Always glad to be of service Sushi. I am sorry Ashraf didn't answer your question in particular, but at least he answered something heavily related to it. Maybe next we will have more luck :)

You can't win them all, maybe we tickled something in the back of his mind ;). He said he would do more of these, perhaps next time.

IMO AC will only begin to walk towards a "perfect" stealth system when the Devs realize that combat should be challenging enough to properly reward and incentive the stealth gamestyle.

IMO it's about time for them to implement a difficulty system and if possible allow us to customize certain aspects of the AI, like guards FOV, damage dealt by the guards/player, how much time it'll take for the player become anonymous again, how many actions the player will have to do to completely decrease its notoriety, etc... it would be awesome have options like these...

From what they have said I believe they are sort of going the Arkham route. There is a new archetype (forgot the name, but it's like "the shooter" or something) that will kill you in two shots. When several of this archetypw is around and spread out you will be forced to use stealth. This is similar to Arkham where several armed enemies spread out force you to use stealth (several unarmed enemies standing in a large group force you to use hand to hand combat).

It's a very elegant solution. I mean of course it is, it's from Arkham :D!

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 08:10 PM

but AC2 isn't the best AC game.

TheHumanTowel
06-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Why would you go spreading lies like that?

But seriously this thread isn't for people to debate which was the best AC game. ArabianFrost was only saying he thinks AC4 will be good. No need to derail this thread

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 08:18 PM
I honestly only said that because I hate it when people try to say stuff like that. It's all subjective. He just should of said he thinks AC4 will be a great AC game.

ArabianFrost
06-21-2013, 10:08 PM

You seem to have misunderstood my words. I never claimed AC2 was the best game. I said that there is an era of AC1 and AC2, after it came the era of annualised titles(starting from ACB then upwards).What I meant is that AC4 may be the best game amongst the annualised titles.

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Ah, ok.

Shahkulu101
06-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Hopes are sky high for ACIV. I tried to stop myself fro being hyped, but just couldn't.

If this game doesn't stay true to the developers words and doesn't meet my expectations; I will weep and wonder what might have been.

roostersrule2
06-22-2013, 01:28 AM
Hopes are sky high for ACIV. I tried to stop myself fro being hyped, but just couldn't.

If this game doesn't stay true to the developers words and doesn't meet my expectations; I will weep and wonder what might have been.I think it'll be an ACB type game, story will be only 10-12 hours, packed with a lot of side missions and just an extension of AC3 in terms of gameplay. It will be more polished then AC3 but I'm not expecting to much.

Jexx21
06-22-2013, 02:14 AM
That sounds great though.

Games like Arkham City put out exactly get and get praised for it, then ACB comes along and you guys are all like "hurr durr this is too short"

roostersrule2
06-22-2013, 02:17 AM
That sounds great though.

Games like Arkham City put out exactly get and get praised for it, then ACB comes along and you guys are all like "hurr durr this is too short"Yea but games like Arkham City have a quality>quantity approach, ACB's story was ok but not great.

AC2_alex
06-22-2013, 02:22 AM

If this game doesn't stay true to the developers words and doesn't meet my expectations; I will weep and wonder what might have been.

I was actually super hyped for AC3 because of the new setting and Assassin. I'm really not hyped for AC4, though... and I don't know why. I'm quietly confident that AC4 will be great, but I'm not freaking out like I was last year.

What I do like though is everything I've heard from Ashraf and Darby so far. We'll see...

Ureh
06-22-2013, 02:31 AM
I was actually super hyped for AC3 because of the new setting and Assassin. I'm really not hyped for AC4, though... and I don't know why. I'm quietly confident that AC4 will be great, but I'm not freaking out like I was last year.

What I do like though is everything I've heard from Ashraf and Darby so far. We'll see...

Hehe, I'm actually the opposite! Wasn't following AC3 as much as previous games; so I didn't know enough to be excited about it other than the trailer was cool, etc. I got to play it this year and was satisfied, entertained, and impressed with it. Obviously there is room for improvement. But what I saw was the promise of a better future for all of AC and now I'm really stoked for AC4. It's brimming with with potential.

Jexx21
06-22-2013, 02:48 AM
Yea but games like Arkham City have a quality>quantity approach, ACB's story was ok but not great.

ACB's story wasn't good, but its story and character development were.

I actually think ACB had some of the best character development in the Ezio trilogy. If you could see my posts from where I joined almost two years ago, I talked about it a lot.

ProletariatPleb
06-22-2013, 02:52 AM

I actually think ACB had some of the best character development in the Ezio trilogy. If you could see my posts from where I joined almost two years ago, I talked about it a lot.
Sooo, the story wasn't good but the story and character(lol) development were good? Uhhhh not sure I catch your meaning

roostersrule2
06-22-2013, 02:54 AM

I actually think ACB had some of the best character development in the Ezio trilogy. If you could see my posts from where I joined almost two years ago, I talked about it a lot.I remember them actually, some of it's character development was for the worse though i.e. Bartolomeo.

Jexx21
06-22-2013, 02:54 AM
The story itself was generic, but it had good development.

I really don't understand why you try to start a fight all the time -_-

ProletariatPleb
06-22-2013, 02:55 AM
The story itself was generic, but it had good development.

I really don't understand why you try to start a fight all the time -_-
>Ask something
>Calls it starting a fight.

Still don't know how you mean it had good development.

roostersrule2
06-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Still don't know how you mean it had good development.Indeed, considering Patrice left half way through.

Jexx21
06-22-2013, 02:59 AM
Just like how I don't understand you thought the pacing in TASM was terrible.

Anyway, the story had good development because it covered all the points it wanted to cover and covered them well. The siege of Monterigionni into the introduction to Rome, Ezio making peace with the three factions and unifying them together, the reconstruction of the Brotherhood. I just thought it worked well.

Jexx21
06-22-2013, 03:01 AM
Indeed, considering Patrice left half way through.
But Patrice has relatively nothing to do with the story I would think..

roostersrule2
06-22-2013, 03:02 AM
But Patrice has relatively nothing to do with the story I would think..I actually meant that as joke but he would have had a lot to do with it.

ProletariatPleb
06-22-2013, 03:04 AM
Just like how I don't understand you thought the pacing in TASM was terrible.

Anyway, the story had good development because it covered all the points it wanted to cover and covered them well. The siege of Monterigionni into the introduction to Rome, Ezio making peace with the three factions and unifying them together, the reconstruction of the Brotherhood. I just thought it worked well.
Uhh...scenes switched too fast that's why TASM was meh for me among other things but then again I'm not a kid who watches superhero movies so maybe because I'm more used to regular movies that's why

Ah, right.

Jexx21
06-22-2013, 03:05 AM
Oh, ok.

No, it's just, I get annoyed when people praise Patrice all the time, because while he is the one who oversees the creation of the product and gives the game a relative vision, he isn't the only person that does so on the team, he's just the leader :P

Ureh
06-22-2013, 03:31 AM
I remember them actually, some of it's character development was for the worse though i.e. Bartolomeo.

Claudia turning out to be a master warrior was a surprise for me (all I had to go by was the database entry in AC2, when Shaun said she was a tom boy and had a mean punch). Also the part where Ezio is liberating the city with the apple felt rushed.