PDA

View Full Version : My E3 interview with AC4 Lead Writer Darby McDevitt

loomer979
06-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Chatting about lots of stuff like stealth, returning characters, modern day, and Connor. There are also some cool gameplay teases near the end of the interview as well. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSG-o_iJDRw

Bashilir
06-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the interview!

AvK KiNgKoBrA
06-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Posted the actual vieo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wSG-o_iJDRw

Farlander1991
06-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the interview!

I remember I once said that the concept art of Anne Bonny is most likely for before she was a pirate. People were sceptical about that, but it's been confirmed that she'll have a pirate outfit and the concept is for when she's a barmaid in Nassau, so, there! :p

I-Like-Pie45
06-19-2013, 07:48 PM
No breast cancer question?

Shahkulu101
06-19-2013, 07:59 PM
It's great that they're taking a leaf out of Far Cry 3's book and even have some of the developers from that game on the team. I think this game may be similar to Far Cry 3 because it may surprise a few. We've heard nothing but good things but they haven't hyped it as the second coming of Christ, I feel better in general about this game than I did about AC3.

silvermercy
06-19-2013, 08:07 PM
It's great that they're taking a leaf out of Far Cry 3's book and even have some of the developers from that game on the team. I think this game may be similar to Far Cry 3 because it may surprise a few. We've heard nothing but good things but they haven't hyped it as the second coming of Christ, I feel better in general about this game than I did about AC3.
Yes. Even though Connor and AC3 are still my faves one thing I prefer to AC3 is the new exotic location. More appealing to me.

Sushiglutton
06-19-2013, 08:12 PM
You can hear Darby choking a guy out at the end of the video :eek:!

Darby is awesome! I really liked the things he talked about towards the end about plantations and smuggler's hideouts (unarmed stealth :cool:) Sounds like there will be a variety of stealth focused open world organic missions, which is exactly what I want. Let's just hope they have improved stealth as much as he hinted! Modern day sounds quite interesting, could be the best so far. Real happy they are not nringing back platforming, that's for sure.

TheHumanTowel
06-19-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm actually quite happy with the direction they seem to be taking the modern day. Putting the focus on exploration and mystery. Mystery has been something sorely lacking from the past 2 games and it's my favourite part of the AC series. There's just nothing better than the feeling there's something more going on than meets the eye. I really hope this game can recapture that.

Edward's shaping up to be an interesting character. Certainly very different from any of the others. He's not even really an assassin. It'll be interesting to see what his goals are and how he finds himself in contact with the Assassins while not being one of them.

Sushiglutton
06-19-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm actually quite happy with the direction they seem to be taking the modern day. Putting the focus on exploration and mystery. Mystery has been something sorely lacking from the past 2 games and it's my favourite part of the AC series. There's just nothing better than the feeling there's something more going on than meets the eye. I really hope this game can recapture that.

Agree 100%. Also making the modern day more brain-y is a godd move as it will create a contrast to the historical part. Just as I have argued many times :)

Shahkulu101
06-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Yes. Even though Connor and AC3 are still my faves one thing I prefer to AC3 is the new exotic location. More appealing to me.

Same here, the majority probably agree as well. I was never one to slate Boston and NY as I felt they captured the hustle and bustle of the revolution very well, coinciding with the games theme. ACIV though is trying to appeal to more core gamers by going for the flat out awesome pirate theme and a cosmetically pleasing world, making it more accessible to gamers. I feel this is reflected in Edwards character too, his personality and motives are more obvious and less subtle than Connor's.

ProletariatPleb
Stupid killing restrictions still exist...damn this BS....oh well nice interview mate, useful as always.

AC2_alex
Thanks for the interview. You've got a new sub!

BATISTABUS
06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Stupid killing restrictions still exist...damn this BS....oh well nice interview mate, useful as always.
If you're talking about the smuggler's dens, I don't think he's referring to game restrictions. He said you have to get to them by using your diving bell, so Edward's not gonna dive underwater with all of his gear.

Farlander1991
06-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Wait, what's this I see? Sushi is getting excited?! O_o

lothario-da-be
06-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Amazing interview thanks! Very good questions and some realy nice answers too.

ProletariatPleb
06-19-2013, 08:30 PM
If you're talking about the smuggler's dens, I don't think he's referring to game restrictions. He said you have to get to them by using your diving bell, so Edward's not gonna dive underwater with all of his gear.
No, I was talking about "your ancestor is goody goody two shoes and doesn't kill civilians."

Sushiglutton
06-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Wait, what's this I see? Sushi is getting excited?! O_o

Hehe what can I say I'm an incorrigible optimist :p

I-Like-Pie45
06-19-2013, 08:36 PM
That is because the Kenways mustn't kill civilians. For they are to give the people an ideal to strive towards. People will race behind them, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, all shall join the Kenways in the sun. In time, the Kenways will help them accomplish wonders.

Jexx21
06-19-2013, 08:42 PM
if that's your definition of goody goody two shoes then you would hate mennonites.

montagemik
06-19-2013, 08:45 PM
No, I was talking about "your ancestor is goody goody two shoes and doesn't kill civilians."

Assassin - Pirate - Freedom = Can't kill civilians 'Facepalm'

ProletariatPleb
06-19-2013, 08:47 PM
if that's your definition of goody goody two shoes then you would hate mennonites.
Okay.

Assassin - Pirate - Freedom = Can't kill civilians 'Facepalm'
Exactly, they've even said he's an ANTIHERO, not noble idealistic tard.

Jexx21
06-19-2013, 08:48 PM
*facepalm*

Shahkulu101
06-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Why would you want to kill civilians though? If they included it now it would feel awkward and a little silly, regardless of the characters nature. Although I can sympathise, if you're going to create an anti-hero they might as well stay consistent-I'd just choose not to kill civilians, simple as that.

Jexx21
06-19-2013, 08:54 PM
mmm, Blackbeard hated unnecessary killing. Why would Edward condone killing civilians?

ProletariatPleb
06-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Why would you want to kill civilians though? If they included it now it would feel awkward and a little silly, regardless of the characters nature. Although I can sympathise, if you're going to create an anti-hero they might as well stay consistent-I'd just choose not to kill civilians, simple as that.
because I want to be free to do whatever I want?

For a game about freedom they tend to restrict you a whole lot.

He's a pirate. It's like that stupid scene from AC3 where Connor throws fits over Haytham killing the 3 redcoats when he himself has killed hundreds.

I-Like-Pie45
06-19-2013, 08:55 PM
mmm, blackbeard hated unnecessary killing. Why would edward condone killing civilians?

because

no

one

else

will

Shahkulu101
06-19-2013, 08:56 PM

I guess you didn't read the other half of my post...

ProletariatPleb
06-19-2013, 08:58 PM
I guess you didn't read the other half of my post...
I did. You asked a question and then act like a condescending ***** when it gets answered.

Shahkulu101
06-19-2013, 09:01 PM
I did. You asked a question and then act like a condescending ***** when it gets answered.

You are right. I apoligise-I misinterpreted your tone as hostile. You know, adding a question mark can be interpreted as smug. 'sall good buddy?

Locopells
06-19-2013, 09:05 PM

He's a pirate. It's like that stupid scene from AC3 where Connor throws fits over Haytham killing the 3 redcoats when he himself has killed hundreds.

Can say I see the big deal myself, this ain't GTA...

As for the last, Connor kills a shed loada redcoats sure, but he never killed disarmed, tied up prisoners that were no threat to him. If anything I'm more bothererd about how casual Haytham gets about killing after the whole Braddock thing...

ProletariatPleb
06-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Can say I see the big deal myself, this ain't GTA...

As for the last, Connor kills a shed loada redcoats sure, but he never killed disarmed, tied up prisoners that were not threat to him. If anything I'm more bothererd about how casual Haytham gets about killing after the whole Braddock thing...
And yeah, I suppose you could say he was stingy about "civlian durr" as well but the soldiers weren't 'civilians'

Meh I cbf with it, just something that annoys me so I mentioned it, not like I care they aren't making this game for me after all.

You are right. I apoligise-I misinterpreted your tone as hostile. You know, adding a question mark can be interpreted as smug. 'sall good buddy?
Tis just the internet, no harm done.

Farlander1991
06-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Okay.

Well, technically speaking, Altair and Ezio are antiheroes too. (Well, not just technically speaking, they are in fact antiheroes)

montagemik
06-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Okay.

I Just expected at least the option of true Freedom - given the emphasis on freedom / Pirate / edward's take on the Creed.

Doesn't mean the story has to depict or force random killings .

TheHumanTowel
06-19-2013, 09:18 PM
lol since when does AntiHero mean they have to act like a psychopath and kill random people in the street?

Farlander1991
06-19-2013, 09:20 PM
lol since when does AntiHero mean they have to act like a psychopath and kill random people in the street?

Exactly.

An Antihero is a protagonist, who, well, is not a Hero :p I.e. does not posses heroic qualities. Which includes being arrogant, selfish, not so courageous, really reluctant, cynical, etc. Connor is the only Hero of the series, everybody else is an Anti-Hero.

ProletariatPleb
06-19-2013, 09:21 PM
And THAT is what taking things out of context looks like.

Farlander1991
06-19-2013, 09:23 PM
And THAT is what taking things out of context looks like.

Well, the point is, the restriction to kill civilians does not have anything to do with being an antihero ;) :p (basically, killing civilians is what an antihero can do, but not killing civilians does not make him not an antihero... there are enough things that do already)

ProletariatPleb
06-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Well, the point is, the restriction to kill civilians does not have anything to do with being an antihero ;) :p (basically, killing civilians is what an antihero can do, but not killing civilians does not make him not an antihero... there are enough things that do already)
Let me explain what I mean then, since it will be corrupted and shot to death later.

Edward is an anti-hero, and the relation I'm putting here is he wouldn't care about the creed("...innocent flesh") and do whatever to achieve what he wants and on top of that he's a pirate, strives to be free to do whatever the hell he wants that is. It's just something that annoys me(because it's stupid) and so I mentioned it, no need to blow it out of proportion and debate on it till the game releases.

Well ofcourse I'm not saying you aren't allowed to discuss it that because you're free y'know. "Your sanity didn't rape dead horses on the internet" won't appear before you.

Kaschra
06-19-2013, 09:55 PM
And now everyone can calm down about Bonny's outfit.
Awesome interview, one of the most interesting so far. And Darby seems like a funny dude xD

Bashilir
06-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Let me explain what I mean then, since it will be corrupted and shot to death later.

Edward is an anti-hero, and the relation I'm putting here is he wouldn't care about the creed("...innocent flesh") and do whatever to achieve what he wants and on top of that he's a pirate, strives to be free to do whatever the hell he wants that is. It's just something that annoys me(because it's stupid) and so I mentioned it, no need to blow it out of proportion and debate on it till the game releases.

Well ofcourse I'm not saying you aren't allowed to discuss it that because you're free y'know. "Your sanity didn't rape dead horses on the internet" won't appear before you.

Agreed. Except, maybe Darby meant you can't just go around shooting civilians in the head for no reason(why would you?). It's quite possible that in the main story we can choose to kill a civilian here or there. I don't know... I just have hope because I've always wanted to kill those civilians that push you... REVENGE IS THE ONLY ANSWER

loomer979
06-19-2013, 11:02 PM
And now everyone can calm down about Bonny's outfit.
Awesome interview, one of the most interesting so far. And Darby seems like a funny dude xD

Glad you enjoyed it! And yeah, Darby is awesome :)

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 12:45 AM
I'm pleased to hear about Anne Bonny. The concept art had me worried that they were going to over-sexualize her. Hearing that's not meant to be her actual pirate gear makes me slightly more optimistic.

I'm also very curious to see what they have in store for the modern day mysteries. I wasn't expecting the glyphs to return in the exact same form, but as long as there are some mysteries to uncover I'm happy. I just miss that aspect of the franchise.

Restrictions on killing civilians isn't a huge deal to me. I don't really get why they have it in the game, though. Social stealth used to be an important part of the series. You had to be careful when running through crowds so you wouldn't hurt innocents. Now it's literally impossible to accidentally bump into someone and send them flying, let alone accidentally shove your blade into a civilian when you mean to kill a guard. The player should be encouraged to be careful because it's part of being a noble assassin. Removing the ability to kill civilians goes against the idea of having to be aware of your surroundings and not to draw undue attention. It should be like in the Ezio games: discouraged with a max limit before desynchronizing, but still technically possible just to remind you you're supposed to be careful.

Anyway, thanks for the interview, Loomer, great work once again.

Jexx21
06-20-2013, 12:56 AM
uhh.. it is currently like the Ezio games pretty much.

You can kill civilians in AC3 (and presumably AC4) by tapping the focus button, moving up to a civilian, and tapping the kill button. You get the warning of not to kill civilians.

Megas_Doux
06-20-2013, 12:58 AM
I cannot watch the video!

So have two questions:

1 Does anyone know If the "focus" mechanic -absolutely LOVE it- is going to stay? Was it mention in the interview?
2 What did he say about Bonny?

Ureh
06-20-2013, 01:05 AM
For some reason I don't enjoy the hunting/crafting stuff as much. Even more so after the first playthrough, it feels forced because I really want some of the upgrades. Wish they'd just go back to the AC1+2 model where they're awarded to you as story progresses.

It'd be nice if there was a description for the vid that details all the questions that were asked and at what time. Something like the Assassin's Den discussions.

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 01:17 AM
uhh.. it is currently like the Ezio games pretty much.

You can kill civilians in AC3 (and presumably AC4) by tapping the focus button, moving up to a civilian, and tapping the kill button. You get the warning of not to kill civilians.

I know, it's just made more difficult than it used to be to the extent that the majority of players don't even know it's possible. You actually have to get creative if you want to kill civilians in AC3 whereas in previous games you could do it by accident. Again, it's not a big deal to me, I'm just not sure why the restriction was made more strict. Instead of discouraging players from killing civilians it's actually making them try harder, which I find amusing.

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 01:19 AM
I cannot watch the video!

So have two questions:

1 Does anyone know If the "focus" mechanic -absolutely LOVE it- is going to stay? Was it mention in the interview?
2 What did he say about Bonny?

1. What do you mean by "focus"? You mean the aiming reticule?

2. He said the concept art we've seen of Anne Bonny so far is actually from the time when she was working as a barmaid in Nassau. She was only an active pirate for a few months before she was captured. We'll get to see her both pre- and during her pirate days in the game.

Megas_Doux
06-20-2013, 01:24 AM
1. What do you mean by "focus"? You mean the aiming reticule?

2. He said the concept art we've seen of Anne Bonny so far is actually from the time when she was working as a barmaid in Nassau. She was only an active pirate for a few months before she was captured. We'll get to see her both pre- and during her pirate days in the game.

Oh I see, that is good news, thanks!

In regards to the "focus" mechanic, I mean when you "close" the camera to yourself at anytime you want. I enjoy that a lot while running.

Jexx21
06-20-2013, 01:30 AM
yes, that's the aiming reticule

Megas_Doux
06-20-2013, 01:31 AM
Did not know its name, thanks!

ArabianFrost
06-20-2013, 02:28 AM
I always imagine they prevent killing of civilians as that would intervene with the running assassination.

Megas_Doux
06-20-2013, 02:32 AM
I could not care less about killing civilians, although I miss having dozens of them angry at me because I stole their money in ACR haha :P

I-Like-Pie45
06-20-2013, 02:33 AM
For every civilian you kill you turn someone in this world into a cat.

SixKeys
06-20-2013, 03:27 AM
I could not care less about killing civilians, although I miss having dozens of them angry at me because I stole their money in ACR haha :P

Yeah, that was funny. The civilians were more aggressive than ever in ACR. I wonder why they took that away?

Killrbees17
06-20-2013, 04:31 AM
Darby McDevitt totally acting like Jason Lee in Mallrats and the interviewer looking awkward as fuuuuaarkk. Good info. Can't wait for the supposed hotties in game.

warner4692
06-20-2013, 08:10 AM
*sigh* Jesus...

Assassin_M
06-20-2013, 08:14 AM
*sigh* Jesus...
*sigh* Moses...

montagemik
06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
I know, it's just made more difficult than it used to be to the extent that the majority of players don't even know it's possible. You actually have to get creative if you want to kill civilians in AC3 whereas in previous games you could do it by accident. Again, it's not a big deal to me, I'm just not sure why the restriction was made more strict. Instead of discouraging players from killing civilians it's actually making them try harder, which I find amusing.

AC3 Warclub - Orphans - Still possible & it doesn't rematerialise the orphans when clubbed. & Rope darts / trip mines can be used for some creative NPC mayhem.;)

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 09:53 AM
I'm pleased to hear about Anne Bonny. The concept art had me worried that they were going to over-sexualize her.
I'm relieved, too. But they mentioned this is her barmaid outfit in Nassau so we're not out of the woods just yet... :|

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Hey look, emphasis on stealth again. (You know who you are)

Farlander1991
06-20-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm relieved, too. But they mentioned this is her barmaid outfit in Nassau so we're not out of the woods just yet... :|

And a barmaid before her career as a pirate (but in a pirate colony) can't be dressed somewhat sexualized because...? It's not like she's dressed only in a bikini.

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 12:28 PM

I dont think you understand the age of piracy still. There were *****s everywhere, get over it. She was a bar ******.

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 12:28 PM
And a barmaid before her career as a pirate (but in a pirate colony) can't be dressed somewhat sexualized because...?

Seconded. And wasn't Ratonhaketon somewhat sexualized in TOKW? Plus, I'd imagine barmaids of that time dressed provocatively to attract customers, just as they do today sometimes. They depict life as it is. Will it be alright though if Edward flashes his buttocks? Either way I couldn't care less. This is a petty issue.(specifically Anne Bonny's appearance, gender inequality in games as a whole is an issue of course)

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 12:36 PM
It becomes a problem when only this kind of female characters are mostly re-presented in games. So far we have barmaids and prostitutes. Anything else to be looking forward to for a strong non-sexualized female game character in this game? Doubt it... Just because it's the pirate era it doesn't mean all women dressed like that.

And Ratohnhake:ton was not sexualized, he was dressed like a Native. Natives have always dressed like that. Unless you mean Native men are dressing provocatively.

Farlander1991
06-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Plus, I'd imagine barmaids of that time dressed provocatively to attract customers, just as they do today sometimes.

Plus, it's not THAT provocative. A little bit of bosom. An open leg. Isn't that socially acceptable nowadays anyway? She's not scandily clad, she's not a porn star, she's not a juvenile design like Ivy from Soul Calibur IV (I HATE how Ivy looks, hate it hate it hate it), and... it's fine. She's a barmaid. Attracts a little bit of attention. Don't see any problems with how she's dressed. I will have problems if her pirate outfit is not going to be practical at all (and if her barmaid outfit would've been her pirate outfit, I would have HUGE problems with that).

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Plus, it's not THAT provocative. .
This is subjective of course. A little bit of bossom? She's dressed like a total prostitute in the concept art!!

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 12:41 PM
It becomes a problem when only this kind of female characters are mostly re-presented in games. So far we have barmaids and prostitutes. Anything else to be looking forward to for a strong non-sexualized female game character in this game? Doubt it... Just because it's the pirate era it doesn't mean all women dressed like that.

And Ratohnhake:ton was not sexualized, he was dressed like a Native. Natives have always dressed like that. Unless you mean Native men are dressing provocatively.

Well whats the point in showing normal people? We know they are in, its common sense. But barmaids and prostitutes are going to have a high presence in this game due to the pirate era.

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 12:49 PM
There is a non-sexualized character in the game; it is you at Abstergo. Unless of course you play in your bra and pants.(you may well have when playing TOKW, though)

Farlander1991
06-20-2013, 12:52 PM
This is subjective of course. A little bit of bossom? She's dressed like a total prostitute in the concept art!!

I'm not saying there aren't problems with female representation in games (and diversity, and many other things). The history of Lara Croft (arguably one of the biggest gaming icons) and how her boobs were becoming bigger and bigger, and shorts and top tank shorter and shorter is really representative of the problem in general I think (what makes me wonder though, is that, a lot of female gamers and developers participated in the backlash against Tomb Raider reboot during its development, because, apparently, Lara before the reboot was a good strong female character?! O_O Makes no sense to me, but whatever, not the topic).

However. There's nothing wrong with sexualizing in general in and of itself. People like to look sexy, people like to look at sexy. Both male and female. As long as, you know, everything in moderation (i.e. nothing as ridiculous as Lara or Ivy or anything). I think in this particular case it's a bit of an overreaction to use Anne Bonny as an example of things that are wrong with females in video game. I don't think she's overly sexualized, plus, we have to see the game to actually see how her character is implemented. Right now we have nothing but concept art (Which, you know, will most likely not look like that in the game, most AC models don't look like their concept art).

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 01:02 PM
There is a non-sexualized character in the game; it is you at Abstergo. Unless of course you play in your bra and pants.(you may well have when playing TOKW, though)
That doesn't count for obvious reasons. LOL The character could be male, too.

Anyways... I suppose we will see... at least it's not as bad as the latest MGS 5 trailer (only badass female in a bikini and supernatural boobs in the desert, uncovered and unprotected from the scorching sun)... :| lol

Looking forward to my 0.001 seconds of Edward's butt shot now. Better than nothing... LOL

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Ubisoft do need to clean up the gender inequality in their games. They should reach out to the Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball developers for assistance.

TheHumanTowel
06-20-2013, 01:09 PM
http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/8/8b/Anne_Bonny_concept.jpg
Is this really worth making a fuss about? If that was her pirate outfit obviously that would be stupid but she looks like how you'd expect a barmaid from a pirate haven like Nassau would look. A little bit of cleavage and one leg 90% covered in a sock. If this is what passes as a sexist design given the context I don't know what would please some people.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Is this really worth making a fuss about? If that was her pirate outfit obviously that would be stupid but she looks like how you'd expect a barmaid from a pirate haven like Nassau would look. A little bit of cleavage and one leg 90% covered in a sock. If this is what passes as a sexist design given the context I don't know what would please some people.
As a barmaid it "may" be expected, sure, but It becomes a problem when it's almost the only thing you see every time you look at a female character. Concept art or not. Especially for main characters.

TheHumanTowel
06-20-2013, 01:17 PM
As a barmaid it "may" be expected, sure, but It becomes a problem when it's almost the only thing you see every time you look at a female character. Concept art or not. Especially for main characters.
There are a load of female characters in AC that aren't sexualised. Even Anne Bonny herself will eventually become a pirate in the game and start dressing in trousers and a jacket.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 01:21 PM
There are a load of female characters in AC that aren't sexualised. Even Anne Bonny herself will eventually become a pirate in the game and start dressing in trousers and a jacket.
As a main important character I can only think of Aveline.
Well I haven't seen Anne Bonny's concept art in her traditional pirate outfit just yet so... (For now, they chose to promote the barmaid one instead for obvious reasons).

Farlander1991
06-20-2013, 01:27 PM
As a main important character I can only think of Aveline.

Define main and important.

Is Maria (Altair's) main and important? Yeah.
Is Claudia main and important? Yeah.
Is Ziio main and important? Yeah.
Is Caterina Sforza main and important? I think so (though, admittedly, they did have her in undergarments for the most part of AC:B :-/ so... but she was wearing normal clothes for most of AC2, so... kinda evens out?)
Is Sofia oversexualized? I don't think so.
None of them are, really.

It's not like Anne Bonny is going to be a protagonist like Aveline, btw, she's going to be on the level of those characters. Who are all pretty important.

overdidd
06-20-2013, 01:29 PM
You guys are seriously overreacting. If you can't stand such a concept art in the 21th century, for an 18 + game...

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Like I said, prostitutes had a high presence in the pirate era, what the hell do you expect? If the women didnt dress like that in the first place, we wouldnt have games like this.

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 01:36 PM
There will come a time when, no matter the gender, each videogame character will wear plain white T's and jeans with Converse sneakers. And then brothers and sisters...we shall have our gender equality.

And then there will be no doubts.

ProletariatPleb
06-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Political correctness is not required in games that depict history or an era where it actually happened.

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Political correctness is not required in games that depict history or an era where it actually happened.

Its stupid. It happened in the past, was prominent, its going to be in the game.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 01:46 PM
The majority of AC females are sexualised to a higher or lesser degree compared to the males. End of. Not going to debate which character is more important or not as that's very subjective.

For the next AC installment please Ubi please make a game where the males engage in gay bonding like they did in ancient cultures before a battle. It will be historically accurate to show the way they were dressed and how it was done. It will be a huge success with straight male gamers and history buffs all over.

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 01:50 PM
The majority of AC females are sexualised to a higher or lesser degree compared to the males. End of. Not going to debate which character is more important or not as that's very subjective.

For the next AC game please Ubi please make a game where the males engage in gay bonding like they did in ancient cultures. It will be historically accurate to show the way they were dressed and how it was done. It will be a huge success with straight male gamers and history buffs all over.

Making people play a gay bonding game is way different than having women who were prostitutes.

Which AC female characters were sexualised?

ProletariatPleb
06-20-2013, 01:51 PM

For the next AC installment please Ubi please make a game where the males engage in gay bonding like they did in ancient cultures before a battle. It will be historically accurate to show the way they were dressed and how it was done. It will be a huge success with straight male gamers and history buffs all over.
Then the murican market will cry about how they can't handle anything against their own views and beliefs and try to boycott the game or something, lol

JarekKorczynski
06-20-2013, 01:52 PM

History disagrees:

http://www.mum.org/abtritt.jpg

:)

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Making people play a gay bonding game is way different than having women who were prostitutes.
Yes, of course it's different. One group is male and the other female.

Most of them. Nuns, courtesans, prostitutes, barmaids and of course most of Ezio's love interests etc.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 01:54 PM
History disagrees

So you found a picture on google which automatically means that all barmaids or women in the past were half naked...
okay.

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Most of the people were sexualised because they WERE prostitutes.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Most of the people were sexualised because they WERE prostitutes.
Yes, that's the problem exactly.

TheHumanTowel
06-20-2013, 01:58 PM

Most of them. Nuns, courtesans, prostitutes, barmaids and of course most of Ezio's love interests etc.[/QUOTE]
Random NPC models count as characters do they? I'm sure had the nameless randomly generated prostitutes dressed in genderless rags they would have suddenly become brilliant strong female characters.

I fail to see how Sofia was heavily sexualised, or Rosa was heavily sexualised, or Cristina was heavily sexualised. The only common thread there is that they were women romantically involved with a man. So of course that's sexist.

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Yes, that's the problem exactly.

Wha? If they were prostitutes, then how is that Ubisofts fault for depicting them how they were?

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 02:00 PM

Most of them. Nuns, courtesans, prostitutes, barmaids and of course most of Ezio's love interests etc.

Funny that... Isn't it? Prostitutes being sexualized? :O

By the way, Rosa from AC2 wan't sexualized yet she was Ezio's love intrerest(albeit rather briefly)

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Wha? If they were prostitutes, then how is that Ubisofts fault for depicting them how they were?
Well, why would they choose prostitutes in the FIRST place when there are so many other groups to focus on? And they do it almost constantly... Again and again... Not just a one-off... NPCs play a major role in the game, so they are important.

I fail to see how Sofia was heavily sexualised, or Rosa was heavily sexualised, or Cristina was heavily sexualised. The only common thread there is that they were women romantically involved with a man. So of course that's sexist.
I don't fail to see it.

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Funny that... Isn't it? Prostitutes being sexualized? :O

By the way, Rosa from AC2 wan't sexualized yet she was Ezio's love intrerest(albeit rather briefly)

Neither was Sofia either if you think about it. Corsets were very common, just because she wasnt flat chested...

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Well, why would they choose prostitutes in the FIRST place when there are so many other groups to focus on? And they do it almost constantly... Not just a one-off...

Erm.. time period? Lets face it, everyone famous in those days was a pimp.

TheHumanTowel
Well, why would they choose prostitutes in the FIRST place when there are so many other groups to focus on? And they do it almost constantly... Not just a one-off...

I don't fail to see it.
Oh don't provide any evidence of it. That would require you backing up your claims :O

Shahkulu101

She thinks that gender inequalities should not be depicted in video games and hopes that every game fits her ideas of Utopia.

silvermercy
Oh don't provide any evidence of it. That would require you backing up your claims :O

What evidence?

TheHumanTowel
06-20-2013, 02:04 PM
What evidence?
the supposed clear evidence that Sofa, Rosa and Cristina are all heavily sexualised.

Farlander1991
06-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Well, why would they choose prostitutes in the FIRST place when there are so many other groups to focus on?

In Ezio's trilogy they were choosing the more 'outcastish' groups to help the Assassins. Thieves. Prostitutes. Gypsies. What other groups you propose that would help in a criminal element?

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 02:07 PM
the supposed clear evidence that Sofa, Rosa and Cristina are all heavily sexualised.
I was talking about all those nuns and prostitutes etc. And you can google pictures of Sofia?

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Courtesans appear frequently throughout the series as they are usefull for social stealth purposes. I sure as hell didn't get giddy looking at a few girls in a long dress, who had the subtlest of cleavage.

JarekKorczynski
06-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Half naked? Who knows, really...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Wai0KpzGIPQ/TAE08Uf7rtI/AAAAAAAAHZ4/Ik-XsOXDZNs/s1600/Underwear1700s.jpg

One thing is certain, all of the late mid-1600's to mid-1800's women fashion was all about overexposing the bust (commoners and nobles alike), so there's little sense in complaining about the emphasis being on boobs in a game depicting the era...

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 02:08 PM
I was talking about all those nuns and prostitutes etc. And you can google pictures of Sofia?

Sofia was a woman. Women have tits. In the 1500's people wore Corsets.

TheHumanTowel
06-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Em you said in your post "and most of Ezio's love interests". So you were talking about them actually.
http://www.gamerboobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ACR_SophiaSartorEnd.jpg
There you go.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Look, I'm not gonna debate it any more... as you clearly think that having a few properly dressed women somehow balances all the rest. That's your view. IMO all the AC4 promo images we have so far are of sexualised women.

And I repeat, please Ubi make a game with ancient warriors with scenes hinting at gay sex before a battle. It will be historically appropriate.

TheHumanTowel
06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Look, I'm not gonna debate it any more... as you clearly think that having a few properly dressed women somehow balances all the rest. That's your view. IMO all the AC4 promo images we have so far are of sexualised women.

And I repeat, please Ubi make a game with ancient warriors with scenes hinting at gay sex before a battle. It will be historically appropriate.
Why don't you boycott AC4 for half an hour again? Make yourself feel better.

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Em you said in your post "and most of Ezio's love interests". So you were talking about them actually.
http://www.gamerboobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ACR_SophiaSartorEnd.jpg
There you go.
MY EYES THEY BURN COVER HER CLEAVAGE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!!!

Seriously though, that is ever so SLIGHTLY sexualized. You have a very unhealthy mentality, Silvermercy.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Why don't you boycott AC4 for half an hour again? Make yourself feel better.
Nah.... 40 seconds maybe...

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 02:15 PM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101109213755/assassinscreed/images/f/f4/Char_catarina.png

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111227150040/assassinscreed/images/a/aa/Sofia_Sartor.png
http://celestialeclipse.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/rosa__ac2_database_by_oneshotonekil.png

Point? Was going to include Paola but she wasn't really a sexual interest of Ezio.

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 02:16 PM
And the insults have ensued...

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 02:16 PM
MY EYES THEY BURN COVER HER CLEAVAGE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!!!

Seriously though, that is ever so SLIGHTLY sexualized. You have a very unhealthy mentality, Silvermercy.
Sofia was never even my focus. My initial focus was the AC4 promo images!! Why everyone makes it to be about Sofia??? O_o

Thanks for the diagnosis. I will make sure to send you the bill if you accept PayPal.

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Caterina - Not sexualised
Sofia - Wears a corset
Rosa - Not sexualised

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Sofia was never even my focus. My initial focus was the AC4 promo images!! Why everyone makes it to be about Sofia??? O_o

Thanks for the diagnosis. I will make sure to send you the bill if you accept PayPal.

Awww :( you musn't resort to snide insults.

Let me explain. AC actually does a much better job than most games in the subject of over-sexualization. With regards to ACIV there is not any evidence what-so-ever to suggest there will be no interesting and non-sexualized character(Anne Bonny's only picture is CONCEPT art)

Still though, you jump to conclusions like this in spite of Ezio's main love interest being Sofia, being an intelligent and generally interesting woman. Previous standards like this in the franchise should indicate to you that there is likely no overly-sexualized airheads prancing around at all angles, yet still you complain.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Awww :( you musn't resort to snide insults.

Let me explain. AC actually does a much better job than most games in the subject of over-sexualization. With regards to ACIV there is not any evidence what-so-ever to suggest there will be no interesting and non-sexualized character(Anne Bonny's only picture is CONCEPT art)

Still though, you jump to conclusions like this in spite of Ezio's main love interest being Sofia, being an intelligent and generally interesting woman. Previous standards like this in the franchise should indicate to you that there is likely no overly-sexualized airheads prancing around at all angles, yet still you complain.
I didn't insult you! You insulted me yourself saying I have an unhealthy mentality when i am merely voicing my concerns over the portrayal of women in games like AC4. I said all promo AC4 images for females are of sexualised women so far! Pirate era or not, are people really going to deny that!? O_o

(Sofia was overly-sexualised IMO.)

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 02:35 PM
I didn't insult you! You insulted me yourself saying I have an unhealthy mentality when i am merely voicing my concerns over the portrayal of women in games like AC4. I said all promo AC4 images for females are of sexualised women so far! Pirate era or not, are people really going to deny that!? O_o

(Sofia was overly-sexualised IMO.)

How the hell was she overly sexualisd. She was good looking and wore a corset. I still dont understand your point. Is it because she actually had boobs?

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 02:36 PM
How the hell was she overly sexualisd. She was good looking and wore a corset. I still dont understand your point. Is it because she actually had boobs?
Not because she had boobs. It was because the game direction capitalized at every opportunity to show them off. That's how I remember the "leaning forward" scenes anyway.

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Woman, for the most part in history, we're sex objects and nothing more than tools for men. And so historical video games, for the most part, will depict women as such.

Men, for the most part, did not participate in gay bonding before battle. And so, for the most part, will not be depicted as doing so.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Woman, for the most part in history, we're sex objects and nothing more than tools for men. And so historical video games, for the most part will depict women as such.

Men, for the most part, did not participate in gay bonding before battle. And so, for the most part, will not be depicted as doing so.
Great job that modern people continue this tradition then! whoopdeedoo!

Umm... yes, there was "gay" bonding among warriors in ancient cultures. And very extensive to say the least.

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Not because she had boobs. It was because the game direction capitalized at every opportunity to show them off. That's how I remember the "leaning forward" scenes anyway.

I honestly think you have an unhealthy sexual attitude. Just went through a bunch of Sofia clips and she only leans over once to look inside that doorway to the first key that was in her office. Wouldn't you bend down to look inside?

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 02:45 PM

They don't, as modern people don't do this anymore. And as Shahkulu said, historical video games will depict them how they were.

Farlander1991
06-20-2013, 02:46 PM

Is it strange that I'm a heterosexual male and I didn't notice any kind of 'showing off' you're talking about? You'd think I would, being the supposed target audience for those kind of shots. I don't know, maybe there were a few, but... even if there were, they were no near the level of Final Fantasy's cutscene direction, where EVERYBODY gets tons of buttshots and boobshots.

TheHumanTowel
06-20-2013, 02:46 PM
How is this gay bonding thing relevant at all? Ubisoft hasn't made an AC game in any of these cultures. You're criticising them for something in a game they haven't made. And I'd hope Ubi would put more thought into potential AC settings than, Oh tha culture has gay bonding, perfect setting for an AC game.

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 02:47 PM
http://www.destructoid.com//ul/247540-AssassinsLeakLarge.jpg

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 02:47 PM
I honestly think you have an unhealthy sexual attitude. Just went through a bunch of Sofia clips and she only leans over once to look inside that doorway to the first key that was in her office. Wouldn't you bend down to look inside?
Ah great... another diagnosis based on a debate of female representation in games ... I should come here more often for getting diagnosed instead of going to the doctor.

My stomach hurts... Am I dying forum doctors? halppp...

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Ah great... another diagnosis based on a debate of female representation in games ... I should come here more often for getting diagnosed instead of going to the doctor.

My stomach hurts... Am I dying forum doctors? halppp...

You avoid a lot of our good discussion to counter your arguments yet your response is always "OVER SEXUALISED". I posted 3 love interests of ezio, all of them not oversexualised. 2 of them showed no cleavage. Sofia wore a ****ING corset. She bent over once in the whole of ACR for a good reason. Ubi did not focus on her tits at all.

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 02:51 PM

Umm... yes, there was "gay" bonding among warriors in ancient cultures. And very extensive to say the least.
You fail massively to understand my logic. As AC is a depiction of history it will depict things as they were. In no way whatsoever does that mean they condone terrible things that happened during history e.g gender inequality or slavery.

And I didn't deny men took part in gay bonding. I said they didn't for the most part. However I wouldn't care if this was included though even heterosexual sexual intercourse in a video game would be considered controversial.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 02:51 PM
They don't, as modern people don't do this anymore. And as Shahkulu said, historical video games will depict them how they were.
They do. Why were there no naked men in the trailer sex scene with the naked prostitutes? It's not historically accurate for men to get naked when visiting prostitutes? Only women got naked?

@ HumanTowel: It was a sarcastic comment about the gay thing. It is relevant because everyone is going about this being historically accurate and, thus, it should be depicted as such and it's okay if they show as many naked women as possible but not men.

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
And why there were no naked men in the trailer sex scene with the naked prostitutes? It's not historically accurate for men to get naked when visiting prostitutes? Only women got naked?

@ HumanTowel: It was a sarcastic comment about the gay thing. It is relevant because everyone is going about this being historically accurate and, thus, it should be depicted as such and it's okay if they show as many naked women as possible but not men.

Who the hell said they wouldn mind seeing naked men? I'd just look away if I didn't like it. I wouldn't dissect every second and analyse the appropriate actions in order to proclaim: "OVERSEXUALIZED ".

Ureh
06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't mind a gay bonding scene by itself. But I hope they put a straight bonding scene in there too.

I don't think there were many women like the prominent ones we've seen in the game. Not to mention the chances of actually meeting them if we lived in their time. The best warrior in the Levantine Templars was a woman. both Madames in AC2 were far more intelligent and experienced than Ezio. The best thief of Venice turned out to be a woman. Ezio's sister turned out to be as capable as any Assassin. Ezio's mom was the best mommy ("find other outlets"). Connor's mom had too many praiseworthy qualities. All the women on the homestead. It's balanced, I think, as best as it can be. Some display a cleavage, some don't. Same in real life.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Who the hell said they wouldn mind seeing naked men? I'd just look away if I didn't like it. I wouldn't dissect every second and analyse the appropriate actions in order to proclaim: "OVERSEXUALIZED ".
Problem with this argument is that you haven't seen such a scene yet. And you probably won't. So you're probably 99.9% "safe" that you won't experience such a scene. On the contrary, we have experienced this theme already, many times in the past (female cleavage, boobs, hips, butts... the whole lot. ALL the time). But male equivalents? No, not many really...

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Problem with this argument is that you haven't seen such a scene yet. And you probably won't. So you're probably 99.9% "safe" that you won't see such a scene. On the contrary, we have already, many times in the past (female cleavage, boobs, hips, butts... the whole lot).
Yes, that is a problem. If naked women are featured heavily in video games so should men. It is not my fault however that nobody has the balls. However just because a game shows one gender in a sexual way it doesn't then mean it is sexist if the other gender is not featured.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Yes, that is a problem. If naked women are featured heavily in video games so should men. It is not my fault however that nobody has the balls. However just because a game shows one gender in a sexual way it doesn't then mean it is sexist if the other gender is not featured.
Well, okay... But it surely is a double standard though... (Especially when official stats for female gamers last year was 45% of total gamers. I think it's 47% this year).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games#Lack_of_female_game_creation .2Fdevelopment

Shahkulu101
06-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Well, okay... But it surely is a double standard though... (Especially when official stats for female gamers last year was 45% of total gamers. I think it's 47% this year).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games#Lack_of_female_game_creation .2Fdevelopment

I do not care If games depict anything sexually, men, women, cockroaches--you name it. I will play what suits my taste. Developers aren't actively going try to discourage gender inequality though as sadly they would lose money. With AC though, as Ureh said above, it generally is fair. The naked prostitutes in the ACIV trailer were to highlight the return of courtesans, a usefull gameplay mechanic. At least that's how I, a male casual gamer interpreted it. Remember people interpret things differently. If you over-analyze things your bound to find fault.

Dosenwabe
06-20-2013, 04:51 PM
He should be fired. I will do AC5!

ProletariatPleb
06-20-2013, 04:53 PM
He should be fired. I will do AC5!
Will it be repetitive book burning missions filled?

Dosenwabe
06-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Will it be repetitive book burning missions filled? No, but it will have a gay main character.

Kaschra
06-20-2013, 05:00 PM
I don't see how the AC females are oversexualised.
This is just ridiculous.

Oh, and by the way... Ezio was fully naked in the beginning of ACBrotherhood, while Caterina wasn't :nonchalance:

CalgaryJay
06-20-2013, 05:07 PM
nm double post

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Oh, and by the way... Ezio was fully naked in the beginning of ACBrotherhood, while Caterina wasn't :nonchalance:
Well not exactly... We see less than half of Ezio (so at this point it doesn't matter if he's naked or wearing pants with pink ponies and rainbows). But a full body with a clear butt shot of caterina.
http://static.thegamershub.net/wp-content/uploads/ACB-scene.jpg

Also, everything is relative. That's the point I'm trying to make: The RELATIVE amount of female cleavage, butts etc relatively outweigh the male equivalents. This has been the case from the start and it's become extremely apparent with the AC4 promos.

CalgaryJay
06-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Haven't really read this thread besides the OP, just wanted to say great interview man. I like how you actually ask tough questions fans want to know, as opposed to the usual IGN fluff questions. Interviewers should be focusing on being a voice for the community, and not on trying to be buddies with the interviewee, which happens way too much I find. Keep it up.

As for the interview itself, I was somewhat surprised to learn hunting would still play a huge (if not even bigger than AC3, it sounds) role in IV. I already knew it would return, but I figured it'd play a much smaller, mostly token side role. Since it will play a prominent role again, I'd love to know if QTE's will be back or not, in terms of fights with animals. They already eliminated one of my 2 big issues with AC3 when they announced ambient music will be back, elminating QTE's would take care of the other one. Future interview Q?

EDIT: and apologies if that's already been brought up. As mentioned, I haven't really read this thread.

pacmanate
06-20-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't see how the AC females are oversexualised.
This is just ridiculous.

And she reached for his ****

overdidd
06-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Well not exactly... We see less than half of Ezio (naked or not). But a full body with a clear butt shot of caterina.
http://static.thegamershub.net/wp-content/uploads/ACB-scene.jpg

Also, everything is relative. That's the point I'm trying to make: The RELATIVE amount of cleavage, butts, relatively outweigh the male equivalents. This has been the case from the start and it's become extremely apparent with the AC4 promos.
Oh com'on man, that's just silly. What do you want then? Do you want them to make a censored ac game for kids? With like those huge black bars so they won't see a woman's *** in her underwear?

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Oh com'on man, that's just silly. What do you want then? Do you want them to make a censored ac game for kids? With like those huge black bars so they won't see a woman's *** in her underwear?
No, I'd like them to have focused on Ezio's butt EQUALLY with a similar shot.

overdidd
06-20-2013, 05:19 PM
No, I'd like them to have focused on Ezio's butt EQUALLY with a similar shot.

So two butts? One of caterina and one of ezio?

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 05:20 PM
So two butts? One of caterina and one of ezio?
Yup! Why not? :cool:

overdidd
06-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Yup! Why not?

Well I also want the butt of connor and alta´r then. And while we're on it, why not cesar borgia too ? Let's have an assassin's creed buttfest.

silvermercy
06-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Well I also want the butt of connor and alta´r then. And while we're on it, why not cesar borgia too ? Let's have an assassin's creed buttfest.
Fine by me!
Bonus: no more complaining about disproportionate amount of female cleavages, butts, hips, thighs and naked prostitutes compared to men. Win win for everyone here! :D

Ureh
06-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Haven't really read this thread besides the OP, just wanted to say great interview man. I like how you actually ask tough questions fans want to know, as opposed to the usual IGN fluff questions. Interviewers should be focusing on being a voice for the community, and not on trying to be buddies with the interviewee, which happens way too much I find. Keep it up.

As for the interview itself, I was somewhat surprised to learn hunting would still play a huge (if not even bigger than AC3, it sounds) role in IV. I already knew it would return, but I figured it'd play a much smaller, mostly token side role. Since it will play a prominent role again, I'd love to know if QTE's will be back or not, in terms of fights with animals. They already eliminated one of my 2 big issues with AC3 when they announced ambient music will be back, elminating QTE's would take care of the other one. Future interview Q?

EDIT: and apologies if that's already been brought up. As mentioned, I haven't really read this thread.

What happens if there's no QTE for hunting? Desync?

Locopells
06-20-2013, 06:44 PM
OK, guys and girls, I've just skipped the last five pages of this topic ABOUT LOOMER'S E3 INTERVIEW OF DARBY and we're still major off subject here. To coin a phrase can you just agree to disagree and get back on topic?

Edit: Thank you Ureh...

STDlyMcStudpants
06-20-2013, 07:34 PM
no question about the hood :(

Jexx21
06-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Female AC MP characters are more sexualized than most of the female characters in the actual game.

BATISTABUS
06-20-2013, 07:56 PM
no question about the hood :(
It has been confirmed in another interview that Ed changes his hood automatically depending on what's going on in game.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-20-2013, 08:42 PM
It has been confirmed in another interview that Ed changes his hood automatically depending on what's going on in game.

I mean the beak ;D

CalgaryJay
06-21-2013, 01:26 AM
What happens if there's no QTE for hunting? Desync?

What happens is it stops sucking and becomes awesome. Stalking was great, open conflict with an animal, not so much..

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 01:37 AM
But to be honest, I don't really see how open combat with an animal can be good with or without QTEs.

pacmanate
06-21-2013, 02:47 AM
But to be honest, I don't really see how open combat with an animal can be good with or without QTEs.

Why?

ProletariatPleb
06-21-2013, 03:09 AM
Why is that? Perhaps in open combat with animals, you cannot counter but dodge/evade instead and then idk do whatever you want, run away most likely. It's stupid but you can fight every animal with ease.

QTE in anything=crap.

Megas_Doux
06-21-2013, 03:19 AM
This thread is in ruins, shame :(

Megas_Doux
06-21-2013, 03:22 AM
Yeah, that was funny. The civilians were more aggressive than ever in ACR. I wonder why they took that away?

Only turkish people is that crazy to mess with the hooded heavily armoured guy that masacrates their elite guards like it were nothing :P

Ureh
06-21-2013, 03:22 AM
What happens is it stops sucking and becomes awesome. Stalking was great, open conflict with an animal, not so much..

What I meant was, how do we fight an animal if we fail to stalk it and it fights back? Do we die instantly? Will there be special combat? A lot of animals will be faster than Edward so running might not be an option.

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 03:31 AM
Why is that? Perhaps in open combat with animals, you cannot counter but dodge/evade instead and then idk do whatever you want, run away most likely. It's stupid but you can fight every animal with ease.

QTE in anything=crap.

I disagree.

monster_rambo
06-21-2013, 03:33 AM
I disagree.

Only in God of War, DDR, and Guitar Hero.

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 03:42 AM
I don't play any of those games.

monster_rambo
06-21-2013, 03:49 AM
I don't play any of those games.

So you basically admit the QTE in ACIII is a good thing? It adds little challenge to the combat, it's unrealistic, and it is already a step down from the already easy combat in the series. I agree with Sid, at best you can evade once or twice, and after you have to flee on sight or use freeaim with your pistols to add to the challenge.

Jexx21
06-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Never said it was a good thing, but it's not a bad thing either.

ProletariatPleb
06-21-2013, 04:07 AM
Only in God of War, DDR, and Guitar Hero.
Lol.

Yeah well even in GoW you can't just QTE everything, you need to beat the **** out of bosses for example before QTE can be used.

Rugterwyper32
06-21-2013, 04:12 AM
Only turkish people is that crazy to mess with the hooded heavily armoured guy that masacrates their elite guards like it were nothing :P

Oh, you could slaughter every Jannisary around, but take some money out of their pockets? All fear in them is exchanged for uncontrollable bloodlust. Terrifying, I tell you.

monster_rambo
06-21-2013, 04:36 AM
Lol.

Yeah well even in GoW you can't just QTE everything, you need to beat the **** out of bosses for example before QTE can be used.

That's what I'm saying, is only good if is a finishing move. Nothing more.

Locopells
06-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Hey, don't knock it, we're back on topic...

MadJC1986
06-21-2013, 09:37 AM
What I meant was, how do we fight an animal if we fail to stalk it and it fights back? Do we die instantly? Will there be special combat? A lot of animals will be faster than Edward so running might not be an option.

Instant death would be a realistic option. There is no way you can fight a bear with a knife! But I would prefer if it was just like in RDR.
And if there is QTE, then it should only be possible to evade the attack. Just like the first bear attack in AC3 in sequence 5.

pacmanate
06-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Instant death would be a realistic option. There is no way you can fight a bear with a knife! But I would prefer if it was just like in RDR.
And if there is QTE, then it should only be possible to evade the attack. Just like the first bear attack in AC3 in sequence 5.

First bear attack you kill it with invisible hidden blades?

MadJC1986
06-21-2013, 11:03 AM
First bear attack you kill it with invisible hidden blades?

Ok, sry. Actually it is sequence 4.
If you look at 10:35 you'll see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3ZCQD7F3M

He just evades the attack. He does not kill the bear.

pacmanate
06-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Ok, sry. Actually it is sequence 4.
If you look at 10:35 you'll see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3ZCQD7F3M

He just evades the attack. He does not kill the bear.

That's weird... I killed it with invisible hidden blades... on all 4 of my playthroughs. Thats odd.

MadJC1986
06-21-2013, 12:27 PM
That's weird... I killed it with invisible hidden blades... on all 4 of my playthroughs. Thats odd.

Ok, lol. A bug I guess. Connor is supposed to evade the attack.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-21-2013, 07:05 PM
i dont mind qte at all in most games ( i actually think some games such as Black Ops 2 should have used it more often - interactive cut scenes, you should be pressing a button everytime your character makes a move ESPECIALLY if that character is being seen through first person) HOWEVER in AC3 the first time i saw a bear (he was drinking ontop of a waterfall) i got so excited.."Im going to stab this thing in its neck with my awesome sawtoothed sword!!!" *runs up to it* "AHHHHHH!!!" awe QTE :(((
it takes you out of the moment tbh...and it got insanely annoying with the elk and wolves all over the places because you are forced into qte if you get too close

CalgaryJay
06-24-2013, 03:38 PM

Ya just make it similar to knife attacks on an animal in RDR, exactly. I'm not expecting perfection, human vs. large predator is bound to be a little awkward. But at the very least, non-QTE combat with a predator would make it actually difficult, like it should be. Kinda silly how being surrounded by 3-4 bears is much easier than being surrounded by 3-4 grenadiers. The QTE is way too forgiving too, you can hit the wrong button and still have ample time to get it right. It was just a big letdown in an otherwise awesome new hunting feature.

(and I know I started this discussion 3-4 days ago and then ghosted. Our city got nailed by a big flood, just got electrical back last night)