PDA

View Full Version : About the Golden Age of Piracy.....

salman147
06-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Can anyone make a list of the events that happened during the Golden Age of Piracy between the timeline Edward Kenway lived?
I bet we'll get to experience that kind of events in the game.
One of them is Queen Anne's Revenge or sth like that.

ze_topazio
06-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Queen Anne's Revenge is the name of Blackbeard's ship.

Wolfmeister1010
06-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Well, all of the pirates that were mentioned to be in the game "hornigold, vane, Blackbeard, ect, all died around the same time (1718-1720) so I'm assuming that will be the climax of the game. Ummmmm.... You should watch the golden age of piracy ac4 trailer, it explains what the time period is all about.

montagemik
06-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Can anyone make a list of the events that happened during the Golden Age of Piracy between the timeline Edward Kenway lived?
I bet we'll get to experience that kind of events in the game.
One of them is Queen Anne's Revenge or sth like that.

Just watch the P.O.T.C movie collection - East india company will be our Templar bad guys in a similar time period (just ignore the davey jones squid bits) ;)

shop5107FB585
06-19-2013, 05:52 PM
The shipwreck of the 1715 Spanish Treasure Fleet was the beginning of the Golden Age of Piracy.

Cornik22
06-19-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm doing a very detail timeline, but in my own language. I'd recommend reading The republic of Pirates, by Colin Woodard. All the information you need is there.

salman147
06-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Edward might face the pirate trial but escape.Like AC3 Connor.

Farlander1991
06-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Just watch the P.O.T.C movie collection - East india company will be our Templar bad guys in a similar time period (just ignore the davey jones squid bits) ;)

I've seen you mention East India Company a lot of times. They've actually never expanded into the Caribbean, they stayed in the, well, East Indies. Its presence in the Caribbean was at most a few tea shipments from time to time. So they won't be the templars.

montagemik
06-19-2013, 06:47 PM
I've seen you mention East India Company a lot of times. They've actually never expanded into the Caribbean, they stayed in the, well, East Indies. Its presence in the Caribbean was at most a few tea shipments from time to time. So they won't be the templars.

How much influence E.I.T.C ever had over Carribbean trade routes in history Doesn't neccessarily rule out them playing a role in the game's story.

History makes little mention of Templars being involved in the American revolution/independance - But hey look at AC3 .

Farlander1991
06-19-2013, 06:57 PM
How much influence E.I.T.C ever had over Carribbean trade routes in history Doesn't neccessarily rule out them playing a role in the game's story.

History makes little mention of Templars being involved in the American revolution/independance - But hey look at AC3 .

Well, yeah, but AC injects fictional Templars into history (or makes real people Templars), but doesn't adjust history that much to inject fictional Templars into them. East India Company didn't have almost any business in the Caribbean, there are other chartered companies that did, though, and they would make a much better choice. Like, Royal Africa Company transported ****tons of slaves to the Caribbean, for example.

shop5107FB585
06-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Well, yeah, but AC injects fictional Templars into history (or makes real people Templars), but doesn't adjust history that much to inject fictional Templars into them. East India Company didn't have almost any business in the Caribbean, there are other chartered companies that did, though, and they would make a much better choice. Like, Royal Africa Company transported ****tons of slaves to the Caribbean, for example.

Exactly.

LoyalACFan
06-20-2013, 12:40 AM
Well, all of the pirates that were mentioned to be in the game "hornigold, vane, Blackbeard, ect, all died around the same time (1718-1720) so I'm assuming that will be the climax of the game. Ummmmm.... You should watch the golden age of piracy ac4 trailer, it explains what the time period is all about.

Early on (can't remember the exact interview) Darby said the game spans about a decade, beginning in 1715. That's why I think this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Low is going to be the main villain; he died around the time the game would end, he was known for being particularly vicious, and the circumstances of his death are unknown. But you're probably right, the bulk of the game will most likely take place before 1720.

Escappa
06-20-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm doing a very detail timeline, but in my own language. I'd recommend reading The republic of Pirates, by Colin Woodard. All the information you need is there.

And what might that language be?

Cornik22
06-20-2013, 03:40 AM
And what might that language be?

Spanish, pero como no lo hables me da que no lo vas a entender ;) Anyway, it's a highly detailed description month by month from 1712 to 1725. I want to check how accurate the game is, and also keep track of everything else as I play. So for example, let's say you play a mission with Vane in Jamaica, November 1715. I will know exactly where are the others (Hornigold, Jennings, Bellamy, Blackbeard,...) at that point in the story and what are they doing, which is potentially interesting.

On the other hand, Ismail mentioned several times during E3 how the demo, set in September 1717, portrayed an historical event because the British were chasing Blackbeard. But that's not true. At that time he wasn't being chased, he wasn't involved in any naval battle, there was no spy in his crew, and Stede Bonnet should be with him, so... I'm probably reading too much into it. Who knows?

Jexx21
06-20-2013, 03:47 AM
Was there ever a time when Blackbeard was being chased by the British and there was a spy in his crew?

In any case, I doubt that the E3 demo is actually a sequence from the game.

LoyalACFan
06-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Was there ever a time when Blackbeard was being chased by the British and there was a spy in his crew?

In any case, I doubt that the E3 demo is actually a sequence from the game.

He was being chased by the British for the better part of his career, but as for there being a spy in his crew... I dunno. That could be one of Ubi's trademark embellishments.

Cornik22
06-20-2013, 03:32 PM
LoyalACFan is right, specially during 1718, but no in September of 1717. And no, there wasn't any spy in Blackbeard's crew.

Farlander1991
06-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Spanish, pero como no lo hables me da que no lo vas a entender ;) Anyway, it's a highly detailed description month by month from 1712 to 1725. I want to check how accurate the game is, and also keep track of everything else as I play. So for example, let's say you play a mission with Vane in Jamaica, November 1715. I will know exactly where are the others (Hornigold, Jennings, Bellamy, Blackbeard,...) at that point in the story and what are they doing, which is potentially interesting.

On the other hand, Ismail mentioned several times during E3 how the demo, set in September 1717, portrayed an historical event because the British were chasing Blackbeard. But that's not true. At that time he wasn't being chased, he wasn't involved in any naval battle, there was no spy in his crew, and Stede Bonnet should be with him, so... I'm probably reading too much into it. Who knows?

I'm pretty sure there will be a fair amount of inaccuracies. After all, AC is based on the assumption that the recorded history is not necessarily true ;) Still, it's going to be interesting to see how they weave history and fiction together.

BlizzKrut
06-20-2013, 03:42 PM

A little off-topic but could you PM me with the document? I'm portuguese but I have spanish classes, and I understand the basics and such, maybe I could even translate it to english.
About the spy on Blackbeard's crew, as LoyalACFan, it would be cool if Ubisoft could actually implement (or maybe they already have it) that idea.

Cornik22
06-20-2013, 06:18 PM
A little off-topic but could you PM me with the document? I'm portuguese but I have spanish classes, and I understand the basics and such, maybe I could even translate it to english.

I'm still working on it, so you will have to wait until the proyect is finished. You are portuguese? Cool! I live near the frontier and I go to Portugal from time to time. Great country, amazing bacalhau!

montagemik
06-20-2013, 10:36 PM

Yeh OK - :nonchalance:

Still not seeing anything that negates my comment ""How much influence E.I.T.C ever had over Carribbean trade routes in history Doesn't neccessarily rule out them playing a role in the game's story.""

And it wasn't Slave trade ships Pirates were causing problems for in the carribbean - It was merchant trade.
Some Templar working to establish control or influence for the already established E.I.T.C & gain further control of global trade routes & resources is just as plausible to me as the Assassin P.O.T.C direction the rest of the game is taking.