PDA

View Full Version : AC4 BF PC Version delayed be "a few weeks" after current gen launch

IMRicko
06-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Source: Gamespot

Ismail also revealed that the the PC version of the game will launch "a few weeks after" the current-generation console iterations.
"We're working hard on the PC version," Ismail said. "It's one of the main platforms we work on in the office. For our PC fans, don't worry. The game on PC looks phenomenal."
Every entry in the core Assassin's Creed has come to PC, though in each case, the PC version launched after the console iterations.

By delaying hope that they will actually look after bugs and glitches in the game. Don't leave the game hanging like AC3 :eek:

AherasSTRG
06-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Yeah, the news have already been in the forums for 3 or 4 days now. Yet again, it is good to have a dedicated thread with this info.

IMRicko
06-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Oops sorry wasn't around the forum for quite a while

lothario-da-be
06-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Who didn't saw this coming?

Revan-Risinger
06-19-2013, 05:58 PM
To be expected. I would guess that it will be out around Thanksgiving.

bolz87
06-19-2013, 07:26 PM
If PC is the lead platform of AC4, how can it be out AFTER current console version that are derived from PC version? O_o

Dome500
06-19-2013, 08:16 PM
That was crystal clear from the beginning on.
Doesn't matter for me though, I will not buy it on release (will wait some weeks)

Locopells
06-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Every year I do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o38IAmNcqMc

Seriously though, they were always gonna hold it back until the next gens cams out, since the are all gonna be on a closer par, graphics wise. And now that we're looking at mid November for that, I call Nov 30th for PC, since they'll wanna push the next gen version first...

EP3nquin
06-21-2013, 05:22 PM
might be a dumb question but how is the PC the flag ship for this game? UBI has always ported there Xbox version to PC, never made an optimized version of any of the AC games for PC. so why would they change that now? I hate to say this but UBI has not done well with the OPC market and has not seemed to care. this is not meant to be a rant but the way I see it. the only reason to get their games on PC over Console is for "better graphics" and even then most of the time with the shutters and hiccups that ends up not making it better. or if you like mouse and keyboard better. Consoles have more people playing games online then PC, UBI offers no PC server tools for the users to make static servers like most PC games, and you can not even make a Skin for a char in the game let alone any other type of Mod, 2 of the biggest reasons PC gamers like PC games. now I am not saying that there not good games, I love them in fact, but to think that UBI will ever offer better results on a PC over a console for their titles to me is a pipe dream least IMO.

BlastThyName
06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
might be a dumb question but how is the PC the flag ship for this game? UBI has always ported there Xbox version to PC, never made an optimized version of any of the AC games for PC. so why would they change that now? I hate to say this but UBI has not done well with the OPC market and has not seemed to care. this is not meant to be a rant but the way I see it. the only reason to get their games on PC over Console is for "better graphics" and even then most of the time with the shutters and hiccups that ends up not making it better. or if you like mouse and keyboard better. Consoles have more people playing games online then PC, UBI offers no PC server tools for the users to make static servers like most PC games, and you can not even make a Skin for a char in the game let alone any other type of Mod, 2 of the biggest reasons PC gamers like PC games. now I am not saying that there not good games, I love them in fact, but to think that UBI will ever offer better results on a PC over a console for their titles to me is a pipe dream least IMO.
Visual parity with the next-gen versions confirmed here :
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/e3-2013-assassins-creed-4-black-flag

I'm not going to complain, besides AC3 on PC was not a port, neither is Black Flag which has the PC as the lead platform.
http://gamingbolt.com/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-pc-is-lead-platform-will-be-ported-to-consoles

I've played all AC games on PC and each time it looked/played better than the 360/ps3 versions. I don't understand what you are talking about, if you have the hardware then it will always look better on PC.

AherasSTRG
06-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Nothing changed :P. It's just the fact that PS4 and X1 are more or less, downgraded PCs utilising PC components. By the time, Ubisoft started developing AC4, the design of neither the PS4 nor the X1 was finalized. So they decided to develop it first on PC and then port it to consoles, which would actually be pretty easy due to the similarities in the architecture.

robske1
06-28-2013, 02:14 AM

I'm not going to complain, besides AC3 on PC was not a port, neither is Black Flag which has the PC as the lead platform.
http://gamingbolt.com/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-pc-is-lead-platform-will-be-ported-to-consoles

I've played all AC games on PC and each time it looked/played better than the 360/ps3 versions. I don't understand what you are talking about, if you have the hardware then it will always look better on PC.

Thanks for those links they were very interesting. I'm with you I've played all my AC titles on PC (AC1 and AC2 I've played on both xbox and PC) and never had a problem with any title.

It was interesting with the link to nvidia about the tablet companion application, I wonder which platform that'll be released on (iOS or Android)? I think that's a cool idea, I don't own a tablet myself, but I might consider getting one (not just for this but defiantly a plus). Wait and see.

bolz87
06-28-2013, 10:23 AM

Mmhh not so sure about AC3, Ubisoft Kiev was involved (think about GRFS).. and now they develop the PC version of Black Flag D:... for your last sentence, yes i have the hardware and the game is amazing, but with 12 FPS :)

ProletariatPleb
06-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Found out Kiev is doing PC "port" again.......0 hope left.

BlastThyName
06-28-2013, 11:31 AM

Could you share your source ?

Besides, PC is the lead platform for the game so it can't be a "port".

Bad news regardless, even if AC3 (with which I assume Ubi Kiev were involved) didn't turn out as bad as I feared. The CPU requirements of the game were severe (even processors like the 3960 had trouble maintaining a smooth framerate in Boston) but I loved their tessellation tech for the snow and the game had really good textures.

EDIT : Nevermind, I found your source :
http://www.assassins-creed.ru/news-367-geympleynoe-raznoobrazie-assassins-creed-4-black-flag.html
Good Translate to the rescue, and that gives :

Ubisoft Kiev Ukrainian studio based in Kiev, once again responsible for porting the single player and multiplayer Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag on PC

What else there is to say ? I don't know what to believe anymore.

Johny-Al-Knox
06-28-2013, 12:19 PM
So didn ubisoft say that PC is the main platform for AC IV? I'll call ******** on that cause if u make a PC game u wouldn need to port it. aint that true?

So either that source is lying to us or ubisoft is lying to us.

Its more likely ubisoft is lying to us, cause they do that all the time :)

bolz87
06-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Official Source:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/390087_476053705810059_224245289_n.jpg

Yes they have said that PC version is the lead platform, but why is developed by Kiev?? Non-sense

AherasSTRG
06-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Official Source:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/390087_476053705810059_224245289_n.jpg

Yes they have said that PC version is the lead platform, but why is developed by Kiev?? Non-sense
No nonsense at all. While the raw versionof the game was created for the PC, after its completion, the game would probably be given to the Ukrainian studio for further optimization (which is a bad thing).

marcoolio_lv
07-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Instant no-buy!

Ubi Kiev must burn! (not literally)

BlastThyName
07-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Let's not get silly, Ubisoft Kiev are not clumsy developpers by any stretch, but I'd wager that they did not have as much ressources as they needed for Ghost Recon Future Soldier hence why the PC port was....perfectible.

With regard to Black Flag I'm still expecting a quite demanding game (GTX 680/Radeon 7970 to max the game out) but it should look absolutely glorious.

Ferrith
07-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Every year I do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o38IAmNcqMc

Seriously though, they were always gonna hold it back until the next gens cams out, since the are all gonna be on a closer par, graphics wise. And now that we're looking at mid November for that, I call Nov 30th for PC, since they'll wanna push the next gen version first...

The video is hilarious, what Ubisoft does is not. I think it's time for punishment.

Thanks, I'll pass. End of story. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/smilies/rolleyes.png

YazX_
07-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Well i think the reason behind the delay is to optimize the game better for PC, the game is coming to next gen consoles, that means its gonna utilize all of your hardware on PC (I HOPE), so the only logical explanation i have is to add/enhance extra stuff for PC version that even Next Gen consoles cannot handle. as an example for what they have said, they are going to add TXAA for Nvidia graphics cards, lighting, shadows, tessellation (although next gen consoles have it, but i think its going to be a simple version of it).....

BlastThyName
07-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Well i think the reason behind the delay is to optimize the game better for PC, the game is coming to next gen consoles, that means its gonna utilize all of your hardware on PC (I HOPE), so the only logical explanation i have is to add/enhance extra stuff for PC version that even Next Gen consoles cannot handle. as an example for what they have said, they are going to add TXAA for Nvidia graphics cards, lighting, shadows, tessellation (although next gen consoles have it, but i think its going to be a simple version of it).....
I'm not expecting any core graphical enhancements except AA solutions.

It took years for Ubisoft to enhance AC on PC, do you think they are going to bother adding special stuff for the PC when the R&D is done on next-gen consoles ?

We can count ourselves lucky that we get a version that is on par with the PS4/XB1.

Ferrith
07-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Well i think the reason behind the delay is to optimize the game better for PC

That might be true if it was the first time such a delay happened. When it is a re-occurring incident search for the money.
In all probability the reason is Ubisoft has made a deal with $ony for exclusiveness of the title for a couple of weeks. These deals bring a lot of money to the company.

BlastThyName
07-08-2013, 05:31 PM
That might be true if it was the first time such a delay happened. When it is a re-occurring incident search for the money.
In all probability the reason is Ubisoft has made a deal with $ony for exclusiveness of the title for a couple of weeks. These deals bring a lot of money to the company.

I don't believe this is what's going on. I can't believe console manfufacturers are paying Ubisoft to delay the PC version.

The real reason is very simple and more cruel : piracy. In order to mititage it somehow they need to release the PC version a little bit later.

I can't really blame them because no one likes to have its work stolen, it's delusionnal to deny that the PC suffers terribly from piracy.

bolz87
07-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I don't believe this is what's going on. I can't believe console manfufacturers are paying Ubisoft to delay the PC version.

The real reason is very simple and more cruel : piracy. In order to mititage it somehow they need to release the PC version a little bit later.

I can't really blame them because no one likes to have its work stolen, it's delusionnal to deny that the PC suffers terribly from piracy.
Sure? And how this can help to decrease piracy? the game will be pirate, even if they will release it after 6 months...

Ferrith
07-08-2013, 09:55 PM

You can believe whatever you like. If they make deals for exclusive game-play on PS why not extending the deal so as $ony getting the titles first, and thus promoting their products?
http://www.gamesreviews2010.com/assassins-creed-brotherhood-gets-exclusive-day-one-dlc-for-playstation-3/

http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/03/01/assassins-creed-4-has-exclusive-gameplay-on-ps4-ps3/

Oh, really? I don't suppose Ubisoft's CEO, Yves Guillemot, is a relative of yours, is he?

AherasSTRG
07-08-2013, 10:46 PM
You can believe whatever you like. If they make deals for exclusive game-play on PS why not extending the deal so as $ony getting the titles first, and thus promoting their products?
Helloooooo, the title is released on the PS3 the same day it is released on the Xbox 360 and the Wii U. Sony has no exclusivity for those weeks, the game is coming out for all consoles at the same time. It's not a matter of getting the title first. Do you suggest that Sony would pay Ubisoft to delay the game for the PC, but Microsoft or Nintendo are not doing so, but yet, the game comes out for all the consoles the same day? That's irrational to say the least.
And seriously, the title is coming out for Microsoft's Xbox on the 1st of November as well...

Oh, really? I don't suppose Ubisoft's CEO, Yves Guillemot, is a relative of yours, is he?
BlastThyName is exactly on the point. Companies are losing tons of money from piracy and it is only natural to want to preserve their wealth and maximize their earnings. Delaying the PC version is the least they can do to win some of the money they rightfully deserve, but are stolen from them due to piracy. Unfortunately, not only them, but also, from small video game stores, which still exist now and there. I could go on, but this is not a thread discussing piracy's effects on the income of big and small bussinesses.

YazX_
07-08-2013, 11:39 PM

Sure? And how this can help to decrease piracy? the game will be pirate, even if they will release it after 6 months...

well most of ppl agree that the reason behind delaying it is piracy , and as bolz said, how this can help and i totally agree.

IMO it wont do any good nor help, usually games are shipped to retailer stores 2 weeks-1 month before release dates and are only allowed to be sold on release dates, that means some copies are leaked and pirated before release date. and believe me Ubisoft knows this very well and wont miss it, so they wont delay it for this reason as it doesnt make any sense, no benefit from this unless if they are delaying it months like AC2 and ACB so many ppl would go and buy it for consoles instead of the long wait, but 2-3 weeks wont do any good as how many PC gamer wouldnt wait 2-3 weeks and buy the game on console , just very few.

Companies are losing tons of money from piracy and it is only natural to want to preserve their wealth and maximize their earnings. Delaying the PC version is the least they can do to win some of the money they rightfully deserve, but are stolen from them due to piracy.

believe me the loss margin is not what you think, very few people will buy the game if its not pirated, there are alot of games that couldnt be pirated and yet didnt increase sales. this is just a propaganda that companies are losing because of piracy. btw all figures on PC sales posted on internet doesnt count digital downloads, only retail copies, and majority of PC games are sold digitally, so dont take PC sales numbers seriously.

dont get me wrong, im not defending piracy but i hate when companies blame PC customers and have the piracy as an excuse for low sales, the ultimate reason behind low sales would be bad optimization for PC, no one with 2k PC would buy a 60$ game like GRFS.

BlastThyName
07-09-2013, 09:39 PM
well most of ppl agree that the reason behind delaying it is piracy , and as bolz said, how this can help and i totally agree.
IMO it wont do any good nor help, usually games are shipped to retailer stores 2 weeks-1 month before release dates and are only allowed to be sold on release dates, that means some copies are leaked and pirated before release date. and believe me Ubisoft knows this very well and wont miss it, so they wont delay it for this reason as it doesnt make any sense, no benefit from this unless if they are delaying it months like AC2 and ACB so many ppl would go and buy it for consoles instead of the long wait, but 2-3 weeks wont do any good as how many PC gamer wouldnt wait 2-3 weeks and buy the game on console , just very few.
The delay is not meant to entice PC gamers to opt for a console versions but prevent some from pirating it on PC rather than to buy it for console. I guess that's the more sensible solution they could find and do you guys even remember how long we used to wait for AC series to hit PC ? 6 freaking months !
I'm glad the delay is only three weeks since Revelations, and Ubisoft should reajust Uplay to make sure that you can't activate a game before the official release date, kinda like Steam does.
Now, is delaying three weeks the best possible solution to mitigate pircay ? I'm not sure, I may sound naive but great ports are the best option. Far Cry 3 sold one million copies on PC alone and it was a simultaenous release.

believe me the loss margin is not what you think, very few people will buy the game if its not pirated, there are alot of games that couldnt be pirated and yet didnt increase sales. this is just a propaganda that companies are losing because of piracy. btw all figures on PC sales posted on internet doesnt count digital downloads, only retail copies, and majority of PC games are sold digitally, so dont take PC sales numbers seriously.
I know that very well, Vgchartz are not to be trusted for this reason but I don't buy the fact that publishers are not loosing money because of piracy. It has to have a destructive effect on their sales otherwise they would not even bother implementing DRM. I'm sorry to say it but piracy on PC is still a huge concern and most likely what turns Japanse publishers off. A PC port is not that cheap to make after all so it needs a reasonable amount of copies to make a profit. I'm not aware of the margins on consoles and PC but even in the case where they are higher on PC it does not diminish the piracy argument.

dont get me wrong, im not defending piracy but i hate when companies blame PC customers and have the piracy as an excuse for low sales, the ultimate reason behind low sales would be bad optimization for PC, no one with 2k PC would buy a 60$ game like GRFS.
I'm a PC gamer through and through but I don't believe there are any reasons to immediately distrust a company criticizing PC because of piracy, that's a well established fact that it's as rampant as ever and will continue to remain as such until the PC becomes a closed platform.
I'm not denying that piracy does exist on consoles as well but it's marginal compared to PC, I'd wager that piracy on PC is more damaging than used games on consoles.

marcoolio_lv
07-10-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm a PC gamer through and through but I don't believe there are any reasons to immediately distrust a company criticizing PC because of piracy (1), that's a well established fact that it's as rampant as ever and will continue to remain as such until the PC becomes a closed platform(2).
I'm not denying that piracy does exist on consoles as well but it's marginal compared to PC, I'd wager that piracy on PC is more damaging than used games on consoles(3).

1. I disagree. They are using piracy as an excuse for very poor ports, POS DRM like Uplay and then ***** about poor sales. Publisher or developer does not deserve my trust or my money if I'm just an afterthought.
Believe it or not, but if the port is good, people WILL buy it. Witcher 2 sold more than 2M copies on PC alone! (I'm responsible for 6 copies.) As You mentioned FC3 more than 1M copies. Good ports WILL sell and publishers have to realize this!
But there is a bad side as well. IMO, if people just stop buying those piss poor ports, Ubisoft will declare PC gaming dead. Again! And people who are willing to play those crappy ports will end up beging and blaming people who didn't want to pay for sh*t.

2. And, like all of us, I hope You pray this never happens!

3. How!? I think it's more damaging! Game stores like Game or Gamestop are pushing used games so much, filling Your head with bs. Making You feel like You are supporting developer, but in reality taking all the money for themselves. On the PC, however, people who pirate (exclusively) would never ever... never ever ever pay for it anyway. The 95% piracy rate Yves pulled out of his butt is BS, and everybody knows it, Even he does. There is no way they know how many people used it as a demo and then bought the game. I've done it, I know a lot of people who do it, if the game does not have a demo available. (I didn't do it for the AC3 and GRFS and FC3 and look where it got me - 2 out of 3 games were absolute failures) Also, there is no way they know how many people bought the game but used the pirated version because they didn't want to suffer the god aweful UPlay DRM or any other DRM for that matter.
I'm in no way defending piracy, and I don't think it does not damage PC gaming. I just think publishers blow all this way... WAY out of proportion.

rrmartinezdl
07-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Its only to avoid piracy we all know that, they force fanboys to get it on console on day 1, i couldnt care less, ubisoft is going down the toilet, last good game was fc3, now not even watchdogs looks that interesting, I can wait a few weeks, after all I am getting the game for free, those bastards at ubisfot whatever studio works on ac3, still owe me from ac3, the game sucked balls, ran like **** on my pc and i had like 4x minimum requirements.

You also got my account hacked, so a bif **** YOU with playing next 2 ac games for free? its a yearly release so who gives a **** right?

extremezone ftw ;)

BlastThyName
07-12-2013, 08:35 PM
1. I disagree. They are using piracy as an excuse for very poor ports, POS DRM like Uplay and then ***** about poor sales. Publisher or developer does not deserve my trust or my money if I'm just an afterthought.
Believe it or not, but if the port is good, people WILL buy it. Witcher 2 sold more than 2M copies on PC alone! (I'm responsible for 6 copies.) As You mentioned FC3 more than 1M copies. Good ports WILL sell and publishers have to realize this!
But there is a bad side as well. IMO, if people just stop buying those piss poor ports, Ubisoft will declare PC gaming dead. Again! And people who are willing to play those crappy ports will end up beging and blaming people who didn't want to pay for sh*t.
The fact that TW2 sold 2 millions on PC is completely irrelevant. You could have used Diablo III and its 6 millions copies sold and that would have been missing the point still. Different games cater to different tastes, we know they are gamers on PC but what is the link between X game selling good and PC so Y game should sell as well or better ?
Where is the logic in that ?

2. And, like all of us, I hope You pray this never happens!
I don't believe that would do the PC platform any good.

3. How!? I think it's more damaging! Game stores like Game or Gamestop are pushing used games so much, filling Your head with bs. Making You feel like You are supporting developer, but in reality taking all the money for themselves. On the PC, however, people who pirate (exclusively) would never ever... never ever ever pay for it anyway. The 95% piracy rate Yves pulled out of his butt is BS, and everybody knows it, Even he does. There is no way they know how many people used it as a demo and then bought the game. I've done it, I know a lot of people who do it, if the game does not have a demo available. (I didn't do it for the AC3 and GRFS and FC3 and look where it got me - 2 out of 3 games were absolute failures) Also, there is no way they know how many people bought the game but used the pirated version because they didn't want to suffer the god aweful UPlay DRM or any other DRM for that matter.
I'm in no way defending piracy, and I don't think it does not damage PC gaming. I just think publishers blow all this way... WAY out of proportion.
The used game market allows the purchase of pricier games, reselling X game is a good way to ensure that you are ready for the next 60$ title. Piracy on the other hand benefits absolutely no one.

Piracy cannot be defended, it's the reason why so many games over the years have not released on PC, it gives the platform a bad name and scares shareholders.

The bane of PC gaming, undoubtedly.

marcoolio_lv
07-12-2013, 09:51 PM
The fact that TW2 sold 2 millions on PC is completely irrelevant. You could have used Diablo III and its 6 millions copies sold and that would have been missing the point still. Different games cater to different tastes, we know they are gamers on PC but what is the link between X game selling good and PC so Y game should sell as well or better ?
Where is the logic in that ?

Diablo 3 sold more than 10 million copies actually. I've heard 13-16M copies to date. It is a bad game, but it's a great game in terms of optimisation. And still, It's Blizzard. it's a HUGE name in the gaming industry. And people bought it because of that... and they loved Diablo 2 so much, they were willing to blindly buy it. I used Witcher 2 as an example because CDPR is a small developer.
I support developers who make great ports, and I can guarantee I'm not the only one. I may not like the game itself, but I can appreciate the effort developers have put into making a quality port for the PC. Good optimisation means that they care and I will gladly buy it, even if I'm not interested in that game. If a game is poorly optimised, I and many other people start to pay attention to what developers are doing in the future, and if they continue to release piss poor ports, I don't see any reason to buy it, to support the company.
I make it sound like it's the only reason people buy games for PC, but with all that I want to say that it plays a huge role, when people buy their games.

Casual gamers not necessarily have high end machines, don't You think they are going to think twice, if the last iteration of the series they love ran poorly on their system?

The used game market allows the purchase of pricier games, reselling X game is a good way to ensure that you are ready for the next 60$ title. Piracy on the other hand benefits absolutely no one.

Piracy cannot be defended, it's the reason why so many games over the years have not released on PC, it gives the platform a bad name and scares shareholders.

The bane of PC gaming, undoubtedly.

First. Reselling used games is as bad as pirating them - You get the game for a lower or no price at all. It is great for the consumer, but not so much for the developer. 1 copy of the game can be resold hundreds/thousands of times and developer only gets 60 $. It is the same thing with piracy. 1 person buys it, creates a crack and everybody else just plays it. At least they have the decency to add "If You enjoy the game - BUY IT!".

Second. I'm not defending it. I agree that pirates disgrace our platform of choice. I'm very disappointed with some of my friends, who laugh at me, because I buy my games new.

Third. Shareholders get scared only because companies like Ubisoft blow things out of proportion. They tell them horror stories, like the 95% piracy rate.

If AC4 turns out to be a good port, I will buy it. I will not pay full price, but I will buy it to show them that I appreciate good ports, but I don't like being treated like a moron.

BlastThyName
07-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Diablo 3 sold more than 10 million copies actually. I've heard 13-16M copies to date. It is a bad game, but it's a great game in terms of optimisation. And still, It's Blizzard. it's a HUGE name in the gaming industry. And people bought it because of that... and they loved Diablo 2 so much, they were willing to blindly buy it. I used Witcher 2 as an example because CDPR is a small developer.
It's nice to see a "small" developper getting decent sales on PC, I did my part back in May 2011.

]I support developers who make great ports, and I can guarantee I'm not the only one. I may not like the game itself, but I can appreciate the effort developers have put into making a quality port for the PC. Good optimisation means that they care and I will gladly buy it, even if I'm not interested in that game. If a game is poorly optimised, I and many other people start to pay attention to what developers are doing in the future, and if they continue to release piss poor ports, I don't see any reason to buy it, to support the company.
I make it sound like it's the only reason people buy games for PC, but with all that I want to say that it plays a huge role, when people buy their games.
Casual gamers not necessarily have high end machines, don't You think they are going to think twice, if the last iteration of the series they love ran poorly on their system?
There is no denying that making sure that the port is good will increase the likelyhood of selling better. I'm not arguing against that, however it's very naive to claim that piracy is not threatening even in that case. Many people just don't care whether or not a PC port is good : if they can get it for free they will pirate it, end of the story.

First. Reselling used games is as bad as pirating them - You get the game for a lower or no price at all. It is great for the consumer, but not so much for the developer. 1 copy of the game can be resold hundreds/thousands of times and developer only gets 60 $. It is the same thing with piracy. 1 person buys it, creates a crack and everybody else just plays it. At least they have the decency to add "If You enjoy the game - BUY IT!".
I doubt it matters very much, there is still an alarming number of people playing the game and not having paid a cent for it, that's just wrong.

Second. I'm not defending it. I agree that pirates disgrace our platform of choice. I'm very disappointed with some of my friends, who laugh at me, because I buy my games new.
Third. Shareholders get scared only because companies like Ubisoft blow things out of proportion. They tell them horror stories, like the 95% piracy rate.
If AC4 turns out to be a good port, I will buy it. I will not pay full price, but I will buy it to show them that I appreciate good ports, but I don't like being treated like a moron.
It's not blown out of proportion, piracy is that rampant on PC.
A couple years ago :
http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2011-111230/

Jesus.....

marcoolio_lv
07-12-2013, 11:13 PM
It's nice to see a "small" developper getting decent sales on PC, I did my part back in May 2011.
And it was DRM Free.

it's very naive to claim that piracy is not threatening even in that case.

I never claimed it was not threatening or damaging.

Many people just don't care whether or not a PC port is good : if they can get it for free they will pirate it, end of the story.

I doubt it matters very much, there is still an alarming number of people playing the game and not having paid a cent for it, that's just wrong.

I'm not denying it either. I already said that I'm disgusted by those people. Some of them are my friends. And about the bold part... isn't that the same with used copies? Yeah, You paid for it, but not even a cent went to people who deserved it - developers.

It's not blown out of proportion, piracy is that rampant on PC.
A couple years ago :
http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2011-111230/

Jesus.....

And how many of them bought it? I'll admit, I pirated Crysis 2 before I bought it. I downloaded it several times before I came to conclusion I don't mind paying for it. How many of those downloads are just one person downloading it again and again just like me?
There are pirates, who do not give a damn about anything. They will not buy anything. But 95%? Do You really believe that? If I had to guess, I'd say it's certainly no less than 50%. Is that bad? Of course. But those are the people who should not really matter, because there is no way in hell Ubisoft or any other developer would get money out of them. This other "half". People who buy games, like You and I, we are the ones publishers and developers should be targeting their games at. We are their market, their target audience!

AherasSTRG
07-14-2013, 12:28 PM
All this talk about piracy and big publishers... What about small video game stores in the days of the economic crisis??? Piracy is ****ing them up.

GalakFyarr
07-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Developers should create more demos, allow potential customers to test the game on their system before buying it. That'd take away another chunk of piracy IMHO.

x___Luffy___x
07-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Ashraf confirmed on twitter that pc release will be mid november :D

AherasSTRG
08-06-2013, 07:37 PM
So, 15th of November, isn't it? Do we have a confirmation of an exact release date about that?