PDA

View Full Version : My E3 interview with AC4 Game Director Ashraf Ismail

loomer979
06-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks to everyone who submitted and voted on questions! Ash is a really awesome guy, and I think you'll enjoy his answers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8nXLl80VnU

True_Assassin92
06-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Well done, sir! :D

Finally: Ambient music confirmed. You made my day! :D

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2013, 10:14 PM
2 shot deaths **** yes!

ArabianFrost
06-15-2013, 10:16 PM
I wrote under the names Frost and Shadow. Sorry I took more than 3 questions, but I had so many. Surprisingly, my questions were the top 2. I love the interview Loomer. This is better than all those weak, casual E3 interviews. Keep up the great work.

Shahkulu101
06-15-2013, 10:20 PM
YES OMG! They finally confirmed ambient music :D!

montagemik
06-15-2013, 10:24 PM
LOL , like ambient music is the series biggest problem.

lots of playtesting :rolleyes: What the heck happened to AC3 then ?

Stealth with blowpipes & approach ship assassinations by swimming & submerging to board undetected . Wow that's innovative .

x___Luffy___x
06-15-2013, 10:24 PM
awesome interview man :D

Ashraf Ismail is a cool guy. and ambient music is returning .:cool:

ArabianFrost
06-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Also, stealth. I would have liked it to be quite difficult, but at least they are making an effort to not make it too easy.

rileypoole1234
06-15-2013, 10:31 PM
You do great interviews, keep it up;)

Farlander1991
06-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Watching this interview made me really wonder what's the relationship between the AC4 team and AC3 team like, considering how AC4 is viewed as a game that's going to fix all the things AC3 did wrong.

montagemik
06-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Watching this interview made me really wonder what's the relationship between the AC4 team and AC3 team like, considering how AC4 is viewed as a game that's going to fix all the things AC3 did wrong.

AC3 is the game they HAD to make , AC4 is clearly the game they actually 'wanted' to make.
AC3 was primarily a TEST RUN for AC4 features , Wrapping up Desmond's trilogy was secondary in my opinion.

ArabianFrost
06-15-2013, 10:43 PM

Hearing how Ashraf talked about removing features that they don't have time to polish, I'd deduct that Yves puts almost unreachable time goals., I'd say they would be more angry with Yves since he didn't allow them time to polish the game. AC3 was never the game those devs wanted at the end, it seems.

montagemik
06-15-2013, 10:44 PM
I wrote under the names Frost and Shadow. Sorry I took more than 3 questions, but I had so many. Surprisingly, my questions were the top 2. I love the interview Loomer. This is better than all those weak, casual E3 interviews. Keep up the great work.

Guess you felt like your questions deserved to be asked more than other people's - Using different names to submit questions was kinda Lame & a little selfish.

ArabianFrost
06-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Guess you felt like your questions deserved to be asked more than other people's - Using different names to submit questions was kinda Lame & a little selfish.

I genuinely apologise. I understand it's cheap, but it's not like I force loomer to replace other people's questions with mine. These questions are voted by the community. I am not the one that deems them used for the interviews, the community does.

Farlander1991
06-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Hearing how Ashraf talked about removing features that they don't have time to polish, I'd deduct that Yves puts almost unreachable time goals., I'd say they would be more angry with Yves since he didn't allow them time to polish the game. AC3 was never the game those devs wanted at the end, it seems.

Well, yeah, I'm not saying that AC3 is the game the devs wanted at the end. For example, assassination contracts, I'm sure that's more of a time/scope issue.

But then there's clear poor design decisions like not letting you go forward if you're not on a horse when there's absolutely no reason to. Which, I wonder, what AC3 team itself thinks about those.

ACfan443
06-15-2013, 10:55 PM
So happy about ambient music. And yes, I felt it was a major problem with immersion in AC3.

montagemik
06-15-2013, 10:58 PM
I genuinely apologise. I understand it's cheap, but it's not like I force loomer to replace other people's questions with mine. These questions are voted by the community. I am not the one that deems them used for the interviews, the community does.

And how many questions from other people were ruled out/ passed over because they'd submitted their limit already ?

You basically screwed other community members from having their question asked by posting under multiple names. & You know it , otherwise you wouldn't have used multiple names to submit questions.

"What about Stealth" ?? - Did you expect any answer to be given other than a positive response ? (it was a wasted question IMO )

ArabianFrost
06-15-2013, 10:59 PM
And how many questions from other people were ruled out/ passed over because they'd submitted their limit already ?

You basically screwed other community members from having their question asked by posting under multiple names. & You know it , otherwise you wouldn't have used multiple names to submit questions.

"What about Stealth" ?? - Did you expect any answer to be given other than a positive response ? (it was a wasted question IMO )

I'll take whatever punishment you befall me. JB sig, Muhammed Morsy sig, barbie profile pic you name it.

montagemik
06-15-2013, 11:05 PM
I'll take whatever punishment you befall me. JB sig, Muhammed Morsy sig, barbie profile pic you name it.

Try to be honest about your identity in future - I Imagine that punishment would be fitting enough to cause pain. :p

Ureh
06-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Sounds good so far.

About 100% sync optional objectives, I think he's trying to say they'll be easier/flexible? But really I can ignore 100% sync as long as there are multiple, alternate ways of fulfilling objectives with combat and/or stealth methods.

p.s. Thanks for the interview!

Escappa
06-15-2013, 11:09 PM
If Ubisoft ever run out of playtesters...call me ;)

ArabianFrost
06-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Try to be honest about your identity in future - I Imagine that punishment would be fitting enough to cause pain. :p

Oh it will :) For the last time, I am sorry for the guy with the question after the 5 example one.

Farlander1991
06-15-2013, 11:14 PM
I'm not sure I like the way 100% synch is implemented still. I guess 'use blowpipe' is better than 'use poison blowpipe on a grenadier and have that grenadier kill 5 enemies while he's poisoned', but it still pushes in a certain direction you might not want to be pushed. I still think that the best kind of 100%-synch objective is the kind that's, you know, a secondary goal to the main one. Like, there are good examples in AC3, actually.

Like, in Battle of Monmouth - when you run to Washington's position, the optional objective is to prevent several captains to be executed. That's a good secondary objective that fits in with the primary one related to retreating.
Or in one of the Haytham missions, sabotaging the cannons - an additional stealth challenge secondary objective.
Now stuff like that is cool, stuff like that I wouldn't mind to see.

AherasSTRG
06-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Very good interview. Many positive things. Excited for stealth, ambient music, open world and story side missions. However, the "we cut it" part reminded me of:
-- The random events that are being cut for the past 3 years and
-- The missions that were shown, but cut
Eagerly waiting for the interview with Darby.

Farlander1991
06-15-2013, 11:16 PM

Sometimes missions are made specifically for demo purposes and are not intended to be added to full games. That actually happened a lot even since the 90s.

shobhit7777777
06-15-2013, 11:19 PM
This interview made me very very happy

All the right words were said

My optimism towards BF remains the same.

Vex_Assassin
06-15-2013, 11:19 PM
"We're not shy about cutting features"

Let's see how that plays out when the game comes out

ACfan443
06-15-2013, 11:22 PM
This interview made me very very happy

All the right words were said

They were also said during AC3's marketing campaign...

SixKeys
06-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Great interview, Loomer, thanks! Your interviews are always the most informative for fans who want to hear more specific details than just the same promotional jargon over and over again. :)

ArabianFrost
06-15-2013, 11:24 PM
They were also said during AC3's marketing campaign...

I don't remember stealth was mentioned much, or ambient music, or nonlinearity. Nothing that would entice the players.

AherasSTRG
06-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Sometimes missions are made specifically for demo purposes and are not intended to be added to full games. That actually happened a lot even since the 90s.
Sounds logical. But still, features presented in AC3's demo were out eventually. So, even if what you say is true (I do not doubt it, just saying), it does not comfort me much : / .

ACfan443
06-15-2013, 11:29 PM
I don't remember stealth was mentioned much, or ambient music, or nonlinearity. Nothing that would entice the players.

Not those things specifically, I was referring to the 'right things were said' in a general context.

Also, stealth was mentioned quite a bit, they talked up their new stealth mechanics a lot, the stalking zones, corner assassinations etc.
They also talked a bit about non linearity - I remember in earlier interviews, Hutchinson explained how there were multiple paths you could take, describing AC3 as a 'light RPG'

montagemik
06-15-2013, 11:30 PM

He means - doesn't matter what's asked , The response will always describe the game in a positive light. (regardless of the finished outcome)

Rugterwyper32
06-15-2013, 11:36 PM

They talked about how big the Frontier would be and how you'd meet lots of historical characters and treerunning more than anything, if memory serves. And a lot about battles.

ArabianFrost
06-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Not those things specifically, I was referring to the 'right things were said' in a general context.

Also, stealth was mentioned quite a bit, they talked up their new stealth mechanics a lot, the stalking zones, corner assassinations etc.
They also talked a bit about non linearity - I remember in earlier interviews, Hutchinson explained how there were multiple paths you could take, describing AC3 as a 'light RPG'

I stand corrected now that I remember, but that's only concerning non-linearity. However, the steatlh wasn't mentioned as prevalent. Sure they talked about stealth mechanics but not about them being used extensively, as opposed to Ashraf who flat out mentioned it's importance. I honestly felt non-linearity was more mentioned in AC4 than it was with AC3, which may possibly mean that they will actually have them. It's just a hunch, but they wouldn't drop something they heavily advertise, or at least that's what the AC usually do.

ArabianFrost
06-15-2013, 11:41 PM
He means - doesn't matter what's asked , The response will always describe the game in a positive light. (regardless of the finished outcome)

At least we understand the effort put into the specific feature and how it will play out.

Farlander1991
06-15-2013, 11:42 PM

One curious thing btw, at the time of those interviews we really have seen only stuff related to Johnson's and Pitcairn's assassinations (the two best assassinations in the game, really, and, despite some of the problems with Lexington and Concord battle and Paul Revere being annoying, the two best Connor sequences), and also Biddle's (the earliest naval demo was about boarding the Randolph). And the fort stuff (with Silas essentially being replacement for the Fort Captain). Which leads me to believe that the worst assassinations in the game weren't actually ready then (I mean, there was barely any demos and footage of New York as a city even, for example) and the way we see them now may have been influenced by whatever problems they've encountered. I think that at the time of those interviews they didn't think they'd have assassinations like Hickey which is just run forward for 10 seconds and kill.

Ureh
06-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Very good interview. Many positive things. Excited for stealth, ambient music, open world and story side missions. However, the "we cut it" part reminded me of:
-- The random events that are being cut for the past 3 years and
Eagerly waiting for the interview with Darby.

Will there be another interview or are you waiting for this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTXMrZC_ZRg

kriegerdesgottes
06-15-2013, 11:53 PM
The only thing I remember from this interview is the ambient music part!! yay! good interview!

silvermercy
06-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Wait a minute... ambient music for the whole duration of the game or just certain parts? Don't get too excited... LOL

monoman32
06-16-2013, 02:18 AM
I wish 100% synch was removed.

TheBearJew32
06-16-2013, 05:19 AM
Wait a minute... ambient music for the whole duration of the game or just certain parts? Don't get too excited... LOL

Exactly what i was thinking. I'll believe it when i see it...err... hear it

roostersrule2
06-16-2013, 05:23 AM
Exactly what i was thinking. I'll believe it when i see it...err... hear itIt'll be there for the whole game.

I-Like-Pie45
06-16-2013, 05:42 AM
I hope we can have a custom soundtrack, seeing how this is the animus and all.

AC2_alex
06-16-2013, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the great interview, loomer! The best and most informative interview yet on ACBF!

Ureh
06-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the great interview, loomer! The best and most informative interview yet on ACBF!

Exactly, he's a fan so he knows which questions to ask. Can't say the same for the other numerous interviews on the net...

I hope we can have a custom soundtrack, seeing how this is the animus and all.

Those'll need to be approved by Abstergo, of course. :) But they're more likely to expose us to music that can indoctrinate or subtley influence us.

Assassin_M
06-16-2013, 06:54 AM
Ashraf paid you to not ask my question about Random events didn't he? :|

lothario-da-be
06-16-2013, 07:50 AM
LOL
Very good interview as always loomer! Good choice of questions apart from random events:p. You and Ashraf seem to know the series and its problems well.That gives me some hope that he knows what to improve. It could be a nice compensation for the yearly releases.

Sushiglutton
06-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Awesome interview, best of all I've seen at E3 by far :)! Restored some of my faith in the game for sure. Ash seem like a real cool guy and he has the right ideas it seems (cutting things that don't hold up is super important as is the improvement to stealth and more open objectives). My only concern is that Hutchinson made similar promises, which weren't really noticeable in the final game.I thought the 100% objectives still sound a bit too specific tbh. I prefer when they add something extra to the mission rather than forcing you to use a specific tool. The more open they are, the better it is though of course.

I interpreted Ash's laugh at the ambient music question as though he has seen that humongous thread :D!

You wouldn't have believed the answer anyway :p

loomer979
06-16-2013, 09:44 AM

It doesn't matter whether or not they get voted up by the community, it's still unfair to everyone else who follows the rules. Please don't ever do this again.

If Ubisoft ever run out of playtesters...call me ;)

If you live near Montreal, Toronto, or Quebec City you can apply here actually: http://playtest-secure.ubi.com/index.php

I'm not sure I like the way 100% synch is implemented still. I guess 'use blowpipe' is better than 'use poison blowpipe on a grenadier and have that grenadier kill 5 enemies while he's poisoned', but it still pushes in a certain direction you might not want to be pushed. I still think that the best kind of 100%-synch objective is the kind that's, you know, a secondary goal to the main one. Like, there are good examples in AC3, actually.

Like, in Battle of Monmouth - when you run to Washington's position, the optional objective is to prevent several captains to be executed. That's a good secondary objective that fits in with the primary one related to retreating.
Or in one of the Haytham missions, sabotaging the cannons - an additional stealth challenge secondary objective.
Now stuff like that is cool, stuff like that I wouldn't mind to see.

Agreed, and well said.

Will there be another interview or are you waiting for this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTXMrZC_ZRg

I did another interview with Darby at E3. Watch for it in the coming days.

He was talking about ambient music specifically in the context of exploring the open world, I don't think it gets much clearer than that.

Ashraf had no idea what questions I was going to ask or which ones we didn't get to. The random events question wasn't voted high enough to get to in time, though honestly to me it feels like a wasted question since we pretty much know the answer already.

Exactly, he's a fan so he knows which questions to ask. Can't say the same for the other numerous interviews on the net...

Aw thanks, but make sure to give yourselves credit too since nearly all the questions for this interview came from the community. Thanks to everyone who participated in the questions and to everyone who left compliments about the interview!

catkiller97
06-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Best Interview so far :)

WalSwJan
06-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Yeah definitely the best interview I've seen, you're awesome! :D
Ashraf also seems to be a really awesome guy!

lothario-da-be
06-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Yeah definitely the best interview I've seen, you're awesome! :D
Ashraf also seems to be a really awesome guy!
Alex Amancio FTW!!!

Assassin_M
06-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Ashraf had no idea what questions I was going to ask or which ones we didn't get to. The random events question wasn't voted high enough to get to in time, though honestly to me it feels like a wasted question since we pretty much know the answer already.

I was joking, Loomer :P

AC4BLACKFLAG4
07-24-2013, 09:50 PM
i hope we can be able to get cannons in the back of the jackdaw