PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed IV "Horizon" in cities?

Wolfmeister1010
06-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Hey guys. As you know, a new system called "horizon" dynamically generates random encounters at sea so you always have something to do when sailing. These events can be anything from merchant ships to rob, to protecting a fellow pirate ship.

However, do you guys think that there will also be dynamically created missions on land in the cities as well? It was something that was promised in AC3 but then dropped near the end. However, it was not very much advertised by the dev do it isn't surprising. Do you think, or do you guys know, if there will finally be good random encounters in the cities?

If there are, they don't need to all by like in TOKW, where they always have to do with battles and stuff. There can be simple and relatively fast missions, like chasing a thief, saving a prostitute from being killed, basically ALL of the random encounters from Red Dead Redemption. What do you guys think?

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Oooooooh? Clever Ubisoft..changing it from Random missions to Horizon system...hehe..

It was promised on ACR too, mate

Wolfmeister1010
06-14-2013, 01:45 AM
Oooooooh? Clever Ubisoft..changing it from Random missions to Horizon system...hehe..

It was promised on ACR too, mate

There were random side missions in revelations. And believe it or not, ubisoft actually stayed true to their word on that one. They said that there were "random side missions from beating up a drunk guy to carrying boxes across the street"....and in the final game, there were two random side missions, punching a drunk guy and carrying boxes around the street. They were also extremely rare. So ubisoft did include random side missions in that game, but they were just extremely lazy about it.

ArabianFrost
06-14-2013, 01:50 AM
If I recall correctly (everyone here on the forums does), they gave an example of a plantation owner that you follow to his plantation after he does some tyrannous crap. After you follow him to his plantation, you plunder his crop or something then chase him to sea (or was it the other way around?). Considering Ubisoft’s not-so impressive history with Random events, I'd disregard anything they say about them until I get the game OR they verbally, clearly, directly and without any elusive answers confirm that random events will be there. The worst thing with Ubi marketing is that you will always have your expectations blighted if you ever try and deduct features that weren't directly mentioned like Random LAND events. Unless Ubisoft comes out loud and clear, as clear as how they mentioned the blowdart will exist, then I would reserve judgement or personal deductions.

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 01:52 AM
There were random side missions in revelations. And believe it or not, ubisoft actually stayed true to their word on that one. They said that there were "random side missions from beating up a drunk guy to carrying boxes across the street"....and in the final game, there were two random side missions, punching a drunk guy and carrying boxes around the street. They were also extremely rare. So ubisoft did include random side missions in that game, but they were just extremely lazy about it.
If you read the 2011 ACR Game informer article, you`d know that the random events weren't just beating a random guy up and helping a merchant with boxes....

Wolfmeister1010
06-14-2013, 01:53 AM
If I recall correctly (everyone here on the forums does), they gave an example of a plantation owner that you follow to his plantation after he does some tyrannous crap. After you follow him to his plantation, you plunder his crop or something then chase him to sea (or was it the other way around?). Considering Ubisoft’s not-so impressive history with Random events, I'd disregard anything they say about them until I get the game OR they verbally, clearly, directly and without any elusive answers confirm that random events will be there. The worst thing with Ubi marketing is that you will always have your expectations blighted if you ever try and deduct features that weren't directly mentioned like Random LAND events. Unless Ubisoft comes out loud and clear, as clear as how they mentioned the blowdart will exist, then I would reserve judgement or personal deductions.

No your thinking about the exclusive demo some officials were given in which a Templar was assassinated and you chase his twin into sea. The plantation robbing is just something you can do on your own time. I want to know if there are actual random side quests like in RDR. I just find it so hard to believe that ubisoft has spent so much time making the horizon system for sea, and never thought "hey maybe we should incorporate it into cities as well"

Wolfmeister1010
06-14-2013, 01:54 AM
If you read the 2011 ACR Game informer article, you`d know that the random events weren't just beating a random guy up and helping a merchant with boxes....

Really? Well then I guess we got screwed

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 01:56 AM
Really? Well then I guess we got screwed
Yeah, they talked about a child being abused, a merchant being robbed and something else I can`t remember

Wolfmeister1010
06-14-2013, 01:58 AM
Yeah, they talked about a child being abused, a merchant being robbed and something else I can`t remember

From how much they have talked about the horizon system, it will definitely be in the final game. But since they haven't specified about random encounters on LAND, I won't get my hopes up.

ArabianFrost
06-14-2013, 01:59 AM
No your thinking about the exclusive demo some officials were given in which a Templar was assassinated and you chase his twin into sea. The plantation robbing is just something you can do on your own time. I want to know if there are actual random side quests like in RDR. I just find it so hard to believe that ubisoft has spent so much time making the horizon system for sea, and never thought "hey maybe we should incorporate it into cities as well"

This thing I am talking to you about was more than a month away. Trust me, this was an article on it's own, I just can't find the thread. Even Darby tweeted to us about this piece of marketing.

Jexx21
06-14-2013, 02:03 AM
I feel like these different missions will mimic the side quests of Far Cry 3 in that they'll all be pretty similar.

ArabianFrost
06-14-2013, 02:07 AM
forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/772404-The-Best-interview-I-ve-seen-so-far-gt-gt-GamesRadar?highlight=Assassin%27s+Creed+Black+flag

Here is the thread VERY CLEARLY DESCRIBING RANDOM EVENTS ON LAND. You see a man being harassed by Spanish troops. You save the man, he tells you were a plantation is found and you plunder it. There is another example out there and I'll find it.

Cornik22
06-14-2013, 02:45 AM
According to McDevitt, the developers wanted to make the game an open world experience where events are unscripted, which would then allow for great opportunities.

"The thing with making an open world game is you always want to make these systems link in such a way that surprising things happen," he said. "I was playing one time and I had an assassination contract on a small jungle island. I saw that a massive Man-Of-War was guarding it, and I knew that my ship wasn't upgraded enough to accomplish the mission. So I parked it around the corner and, even though it was a pain in the ***, I jumped off my ship and I swam all the way to the island. It probably took about two and a half minutes to get there because it was so far away. But, because of this, the Man-Of-War never saw me, I snuck onto the island, I killed my target, and then I took a rowboat back to my ship and sailed away. That's something that can happen when you have systems that are integrated in a very friendly way where they work together and not against each other."

He said that there are no scripted scenarios in the game aside from within missions, and there won't be any scripted encounters at sea.

The systemic design of Black Flag will also open up more opportunities for stealthy gameplay. According to McDevitt, Black Flag brings back the open-ended assassination missions of the original Assassin's Creed and the AI has been tweaked to be less aggressive. This means that when a player encounters enemy guards, rather than be relently chased into a confrontation that they can't get out of, the player will have opportunities to lose the guards and jump back into stealth mode.

monster_rambo
06-14-2013, 03:05 AM

Something about apples falling and catching a thief. Or was that ACIII?

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 03:06 AM
AI has been tweaked to be less aggressive. This means that when a player encounters enemy guards, rather than be relently chased into a confrontation that they can't get out of,
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltaosklE2L1qf70r5o1_500.jpg
http://gifatron.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/tumblr_m760xxHXYx1qm6sfao1_r1_500.gif

monster_rambo
06-14-2013, 03:06 AM
According to McDevitt, the developers wanted to make the game an open world experience where events are unscripted, which would then allow for great opportunities.

"The thing with making an open world game is you always want to make these systems link in such a way that surprising things happen," he said. "I was playing one time and I had an assassination contract on a small jungle island. I saw that a massive Man-Of-War was guarding it, and I knew that my ship wasn't upgraded enough to accomplish the mission. So I parked it around the corner and, even though it was a pain in the ***, I jumped off my ship and I swam all the way to the island. It probably took about two and a half minutes to get there because it was so far away. But, because of this, the Man-Of-War never saw me, I snuck onto the island, I killed my target, and then I took a rowboat back to my ship and sailed away. That's something that can happen when you have systems that are integrated in a very friendly way where they work together and not against each other."

He said that there are no scripted scenarios in the game aside from within missions, and there won't be any scripted encounters at sea.

The systemic design of Black Flag will also open up more opportunities for stealthy gameplay. According to McDevitt, Black Flag brings back the open-ended assassination missions of the original Assassin's Creed and the AI has been tweaked to be less aggressive. This means that when a player encounters enemy guards, rather than be relently chased into a confrontation that they can't get out of, the player will have opportunities to lose the guards and jump back into stealth mode.

"assassination contract"? what do you mean by that? do you mean go to point A and press a button to kill target in AC3 or actual assassination missions returning from Brotherhood system?

Bashilir
06-14-2013, 03:07 AM
I feel that that is a negative response to that?

Wolfmeister1010
06-14-2013, 03:14 AM
This thing I am talking to you about was more than a month away. Trust me, this was an article on it's own, I just can't find the thread. Even Darby tweeted to us about this piece of marketing.

I apologize. I did not mean to call you a liar or cause offense, if any was taken.

ArabianFrost
06-14-2013, 03:24 AM

Isn't the whole point of the aggressive chase system to repel you from being conspicuous and play stealthy?

However, we shouldn't be so quick to assume that it means stupid AI as many hear would assume. Remember in AC3 when you literally couldn't escape the guards no matter how hard you try or how much you hide in hiding spots? Maybe that is what they are addressing and comparing the AC4 AI to. I remember that a lot of times in AC3 when hiding didn't do a thing as the guards automatically become aware of me when I get out of the hiding spots. Maybe in AC4, due to removing notoriety, when escaping the guards, you return to incognito and the guards don't automatically know you like in AC3.

AC1 had a similar system where you had options to hide and after you hide, you return to "stealth mode" as Darby describes, rather be forced take part in an unnecessary conflict.

I am just being optimistic here. Don't **** this up, Ubisoft. I've been waiting 3 forsaken years and 3 forsaken iterations for a proper stealth system. At this rate it'd probably be easier to just throw money into a damn furnace.

Assassin_M
06-14-2013, 03:27 AM
Remember in AC3 when you literally couldn't escape the guards no matter how hard you try or how much you hide in hiding spots? Maybe that is what they are addressing
I remember when it was CHALLENGING to escape the guards, yes..

I remember that a lot of times in AC3 when hiding didn't do a thing as the guards automatically become aware of me when I get out of the hiding spots.
It didn't do anything, because you didn't wait for them to stop investigating...

ArabianFrost
06-14-2013, 03:39 AM
I remember when it was CHALLENGING to escape the guards, yes..
It didn't do anything, because you didn't wait for them to stop investigating...

He never said it wasn't challenging to escape, he said that after escaping, you can easily get back to stealth. Maybe, it's more or less a reference to how the removed notoriety system causes the guards to be less aggressive against you after coming out from hiding.

-_- Of course I waited for them until they finished their investigation. It still was harder to avoid being noticed after I escaped. It wasn't challenging as much as it was irritating. Comparing it to the hwavily used chase system of AC1, I'd say AC1 had a better balance chase systems that gave you both opportunities to hide and actually offered challenge to escaping without making the aftermath as irritating as that of AC3. Who knows, maybe that's what they're referencing, but who am I kidding. Everything in AC now is either idiotically elementary or inexplicably and irritatingly difficult. Man do I hope Ashraf goes in depth about stealth with Loomer.