PDA

View Full Version : Black Flag brings new life to a tired franchise

ProletariatPleb
06-12-2013, 09:38 PM
The pirate casually strolls up to the tavern, where both twins are. The tavern serves as a central hub for many gameplay activities. Here, you can hire crew, play mini-games, and even virtually drink yourself into oblivion, if you so choose.

Ash Ismael, Assassin’s Creed 4 game director, brings a brief moment of respite from the chase to show off the game’s map. It begins focused on Kenway and the Grand Cayman. As he zooms out, I get a sense of just how enormous the map actually is. “We’ve got over 50 locations, three of them being major cities,” Ismael explained.

I was hoping for a “more realistic” experience of ship battles, so to speak, with Assassin’s Creed 4, seeing as that makes up a huge portion of the game. Unfortunately, while the ship battles are fun, they’re also undeniably very gamey. Rather than being concerned about accurate aiming and wearing an enemy down to surrender by destroying important parts of a ship, you’re only firing to whittle down your enemy’s ship’s health bar. Once it’s low enough, you’ll have de-masted a ship.

As a neophyte assassin, Kenway is blessed with the talent to be a little more nimble of foot than most pirates, allowing him to climb masts and leap from rope to crow’s nests in a matter of minutes. As his crew distracts the enemy crew with fighting, Kenway clambers to the top of a mast, carefully marking out his target. With hidden blade in hand, he leaps down and quickly finishes off his target.

With the crew battle section over, I was given a tour of the rest of the West Indies. In Black Flag, the development team set out to recreate the Caribbean’s lush environment. The tropical weather, prone to bipolarity, will change from harsh storms, which can harm your ship and crew, to beach-going weather in a matter of minutes.

Ismael also took time to show me small random islands that dot the map that can be explored. “Those are called playas and sand banks,” he said. “We have over 75 of those. So the world’s got tons of content. It’s the most unique and freshest world we’ve ever built.”

Black Flag operates off of the same open world mechanics as its predecessors, but with the ability to travel the high seas, it feels organic. Islands will now be occupied by heavily armed Spanish conquistadors that you’ll want to avoid, and you’ll often find evidence of British-Spanish conflicts aboard the high seas in the form of naval battles that you can join, if you so choose.

“Everything that’s in [the game]—all the collectibles—they have gameplay value,” said Ismael. And it’s true. While wandering and digging up treasure along random islands in the game, you’ll sometimes pick up song sheets, which you can use to teach your crew to sing different songs to pass the monotony of sailing the seas.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/12/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-brings-new-life-to-a-tired-franchise/

Megas_Doux
06-12-2013, 09:40 PM
I am hyped, no THAT hyped though, a very good thing by the way.....

dxsxhxcx
06-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Ismael also took time to show me small random islands that dot the map that can be explored. “Those are called playas and sand banks,” he said. “We have over 75 of those. So the world’s got tons of content. It’s the most unique and freshest world we’ve ever built.”

I just hope they aren't seeing "animal #3" attacks Edward at "island #46" as "content", that would be lame...

“Everything that’s in [the game]—all the collectibles—they have gameplay value,” said Ismael. And it’s true. While wandering and digging up treasure along random islands in the game, you’ll sometimes pick up song sheets, which you can use to teach your crew to sing different songs to pass the monotony of sailing the seas.

this looks interesting and certainly is a good reason to search for collectibles...

ArabianFrost
06-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Out of all the people in the world, the cynical SidSpykr is the one with positive hope.

ProletariatPleb
06-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Out of all the people in the world, the cynical SidSpykr is the one with positive hope.
I'm only posting an article here....

and I have a bit of hope yes, doesn't seem like overhyped trash(ac3) so far and what they've been showing/telling seems good.

Cynically/cautiously optimistic.

ArabianFrost
06-12-2013, 10:43 PM
About the article, I agree and disagree with making it more realistic. While it offers a tactical approach to Naval, it can cause the boat fights to be awfully short due to a few shots ending the fight, even to the extent to making these mechanics exploitable, with a hole in the system to be able to speed through anything naval.

What's that about aiming on the boat? The boat has an adjustable aiming system. I don't understand.

ProletariatPleb
06-12-2013, 10:53 PM
What's that about aiming on the boat? The boat has an adjustable aiming system. I don't understand.
Trajectory based aiming, you can decided what height and where to shoot.

LoyalACFan
06-12-2013, 10:56 PM
About the article, I agree and disagree with making it more realistic. While it offers a tactical approach to Naval, it can cause the boat fights to be awfully short due to a few shots ending the fight, even to the extent to making these mechanics exploitable, with a hole in the system to be able to speed through anything naval.

I kind of agree, it seemed like it was pretty easy to take down that huge ship in the demo. But that was probably because he laid down those barrel/mine things to hit it, and I can't imagine they would be unlockable until near the end.

SixKeys
06-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Ismael also took time to show me small random islands that dot the map that can be explored. “Those are called playas

http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/if_you_know_what_i_mean_mr_bea.jpg

I'm a little wary of their "dynamic weather at sea" claims. They already said that last year and we found out the weather at sea was tied to certain missions. Maybe with this game being more naval-heavy it'll be different, but still. I'll remain skeptical.

LoyalACFan
06-12-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm a little wary of their "dynamic weather at sea" claims. They already said that last year and we found out the weather at sea was tied to certain missions. Maybe with this game being more naval-heavy it'll be different, but still. I'll remain skeptical.

Well, to be fair, EVERYTHING naval was tied to certain missions last year. Since the ocean is confirmed to be open to free-roam now, I see no reason to doubt there'll be dynamic weather just like there was on land in AC3.

ArabianFrost
06-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Trajectory based aiming, you can decided what height and where to shoot.

The demo had that. I remember that when aiming the canons, the path of the shots was an arc that can increase or decrease in height.

ProletariatPleb
06-12-2013, 11:17 PM
The demo had that. I remember that when aiming the canons, the path of the shots was an arc that can increase or decrease in height.
Yep, that's the one.

ArabianFrost
06-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Yep, that's the one.

So why is the guy in the article ranting about accurate aiming?

ProletariatPleb
06-12-2013, 11:22 PM
So why is the guy in the article ranting about accurate aiming?
Because it's his personal opinion, lol. He's saying it's still too easy.

ArabianFrost
06-12-2013, 11:30 PM

..... and to think the naval was the only thing that was going to add challenge to the game. Well, I am maybe it would be more difficult with a ship lacking all the abilities and also is outnumbered.

Escappa
06-12-2013, 11:32 PM

Well, I still think I probably will scream one or two naughty words during naval, as I almost break the controller ;) too me it looks like a pain in the poop-sack :p

montagemik
06-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Edward the 'Singing Teacher' - Now we can dig up 'song sheets' :rolleyes: ( & i thought Almanac pages were trash )

Shahkulu101
06-13-2013, 01:01 AM
Edward the 'Singing Teacher' - Now we can dig up 'song sheets' :rolleyes: ( & i thought Almanac pages were trash )

To be fair, at least everything we find will be usefull in one way or another. I'm sure there are other, more usefull things to dig up. And anyway, singing on your ship will add to the pirate atmosphere, I'll love it.

Also, I think the crew interactions will be top notch for this game. I love the friendly, harmonious vibe Edward seems to have with them. All in all it's just another way of them making a 'true' pirate game.

ArabianFrost
06-13-2013, 01:13 AM
To be fair, at least everything we find will be usefull in one way or another. I'm sure there are other, more usefull things to dig up. And anyway, singing on your ship will add to the pirate atmosphere, I'll love it.

Also, I think the crew interactions will be top notch for this game. I love the friendly, harmonious vibe Edward seems to have with them. All in all it's just another way of them making a 'true' pirate game.

Ambient music? Pshhhhhh that's so AC2. Now you can now have the crew sing for you.

Jexx21
06-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Songsheets sounds like AC4's books/paintings from the Ezio trilogy.

dxsxhxcx
06-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Ambient music? Pshhhhhh that's so AC2. Now you can now have the crew sing for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I9vf2N9lvw

:p

SixKeys
06-13-2013, 01:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKnIi05XNK4

Shahkulu101
06-13-2013, 01:24 AM
Whats that song they sing on the ship Haytham gets to boston? It plays whilst the camera zooms closer towards the ship.
Answer would be welcomed! :)

Ureh
06-13-2013, 01:26 AM
Whats that song they sing on the ship Haytham gets to boston? It plays whilst the camera zooms closer towards the ship.
Answer would be welcomed! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI2SxBH7eMI

"Haul on the Bowline"

Shahkulu101
06-13-2013, 01:27 AM

"Haul on the Bowline"

Thankyou.

ArabianFrost
06-13-2013, 01:34 AM

"Haul on the Bowline"

Man how awesome would it be if the song sheets that Edward collects not only make the crew sing it, but also play ambient music that fits these chants. Now that would be awesome. Out of all of the things to be excited for, the music sheets excite me the most. Best in-game radio ever if you ask me.

Escappa
06-13-2013, 01:36 AM
this would be awesome easter egg or something XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auz_xZm2rAQ

ArabianFrost
06-13-2013, 01:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKnIi05XNK4

These things (puppets) creeped the living hell out of me, but the song is nice. However, why the hell is a song that includes extortion and drinking in the lyrics with somewhat lesser clothed women be on a kid's channel like Disney?

Escappa
06-13-2013, 01:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnO_IuOT9ks

would be awesome :D

Shahkulu101
06-13-2013, 01:42 AM
Man how awesome would it be if the song sheets that Edward collects not only make the crew sing it, but also play ambient music that fits these chants. Now that would be awesome. Out of all of the things to be excited for, the music sheets excite me the most. Best in-game radio ever if you ask me.

Some people appreciate little features like this. It's no more extraneous and trivial as the board games from III. Although perhaps time might be better spent on other things it really is a small feature.(ignore this if you weren't being sarcastic)

Perhaps though I'd swap this for a hood toggle option.

ArabianFrost
06-13-2013, 01:55 AM
Some people appreciate little features like this. It's no more extraneous and trivial as the board games from III. Although perhaps time might be better spent on other things it really is a small feature.(ignore this if you weren't being sarcastic)

Perhaps though I'd swap this for a hood toggle option.

I wasn't being sarcastic. You spend 40% of the game doing naval, so it should be enjoyable and immersive to hear a nice sea chant, which is IMO a very great way to enhance the pirate feeling. Moreover, I'd like to be close to my crew, so I would love if they all this have this sort of harmonious universal interaction , which adds to the personalisation and closeness we have to them. Some people enjoyed little things like NPC conversations in AC3, the sea chants and crew interaction would be my awesome small feature in AC4.

I don't really mind the hood thing. It's there to somewhat conceal your identity, so it would be very unrealistic to walk around murdering people, while exposing your face.

SixKeys
06-13-2013, 01:55 AM
These things (puppets) creeped the living hell out of me, but the song is nice. However, why the hell is a song that includes extortion and drinking in the lyrics with somewhat lesser clothed women be on a kid's channel like Disney?

Because Disney used to be awesome.

Ureh
06-13-2013, 02:07 AM
I hope they let us bring women on board too. I don't believe the whole "it's bad luck to have a woman on board, cap'n" superstition.

DisbandedBox359
06-13-2013, 02:15 AM
Songsheets sounds like AC4's books/paintings from the Ezio trilogy.

don't forget the feathers, soo 2009 haha

DisbandedBox359
06-13-2013, 02:19 AM
this would be awesome easter egg or something XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auz_xZm2rAQ

theres always the next AU DLC :cool:

SixKeys
06-13-2013, 02:20 AM
don't forget the feathers, soo 2009 haha

AC3 had feathers too, you know. :p

DisbandedBox359
06-13-2013, 02:32 AM
AC3 had feathers too, you know. :p

aw damn, forgot haha, can i still maintain there soo 2009 haha

Megas_Doux
06-13-2013, 02:41 AM
Even though I really like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnB5j4VR_1g

And this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUJJ0aitjo

Dont know if is worth a "quest".....

LoyalACFan
06-13-2013, 02:44 AM

And this

I think they're more like collectibles. Instead of feathers, almanac pages, etc. Not really quests, just a little extra thing on the side. Helluva lot better reward than Franklin's inventions if you ask me.

ArabianFrost
06-13-2013, 02:46 AM

And this

These are the equivalent to feathers in AC2. As opposed to AC2, these are much more valuable collectives and they actually benefit the player with EACH collectible. I love them

Escappa
06-13-2013, 02:49 AM
These are the equivalent to feathers in AC2. As opposed to AC2, these are much more valuable collectives and they actually benefit the player with EACH collectible. I love them

And since they are more valuable, I hope they are more difficult/fun to find, not just look at the map :p I want a challange...I MISS THE PUZZLES :'(

Megas_Doux
06-13-2013, 02:50 AM
Oh my bad! If that´s the case, I welcome them :)

I know is not very "assassanish", but I love the whole naval experience!!!! hope in AC IV you can just "chill around" while some cool tunes are heard in the background!

SixKeys
06-13-2013, 03:00 AM
And since they are more valuable, I hope they are more difficult/fun to find, not just look at the map I w:pant a challange...I MISS THE PUZZLES :'(

Yeah, like some of the trinkets in AC3. "Aye, these trinkets are very tricky to find, my lad." Oh, you mean like this one right here, smack dab in the middle of this clearing?

LoyalACFan
06-13-2013, 03:03 AM
Yeah, like some of the trinkets in AC3. "Aye, these trinkets are very tricky to find, my lad." Oh, you mean like this one right here, smack dab in the middle of this clearing?

Not to mention they're all conveniently prepackaged in identical chests.

Killrbees17
06-13-2013, 05:27 AM
Random events will rustle the jimmies of any tired franchise. Patience everyone. Looking at this setup IDK how there cannot be randm events. Scare the shyt out of us UBI. You can do it. IE Have a violent shark jump on deck during a storm at sea. Have us sail into a hurricane while we quietly board a ship to take down a templar. yada yada. Make us buy another game.

monoman32
06-13-2013, 05:34 AM
This probably wont be in the game and is just wishful thinking, but I hope that you can give the wheel of your ship to one of your crew mates, and then do whatever. You can just tell them where to steer and you can just roam around your ship, or climb your ship, or go below deck and stuff.

Killrbees17
06-13-2013, 05:42 AM
It may not happen and you are right but the possibilities are limitless. We can all wish for the best or Ubi can pull of their best. Those are really the only two options. Ball is in their court not ours.

AC2_alex
06-13-2013, 06:29 AM
Oh my bad! If that´s the case, I welcome them :)

I know is not very "assassanish", but I love the whole naval experience!!!! hope in AC IV you can just "chill around" while some cool tunes are heard in the background!

This is EXACTLY what I want!

Killrbees17
10-02-2013, 02:17 AM
The fix is in. Lets see what is served shall we. 1Harpooning, sounds cool man. 2Water Spouts, sounds cool man. 3Jumping ships, sounds cool man.

Killrbees17
11-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Thanks for listening to your fans brahs and brahettes. Glad to play a part in it. "Wink"

AdamPearce
11-19-2013, 04:12 AM
Wonder what the OP thinks of the game?

pirate1802
11-19-2013, 05:03 AM
Sid ma boy, where did ye disappear?

AdamPearce
11-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Sid ma boy, where did ye disappear?

Maybe the game dispointed him so much he decided to never come back here.

Or maybe he just get a life.

CalgaryJay
11-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Really? Is this game regarded as a disappointment around here? I wasn't around here leading to release of this one like I was for AC3 last year because of GTA V hype, so I haven't been around to get the vibe of the board about this one. I also just got it and am only about 20% done, but so far I'm' really enjoying it. Surprisingly a lot actually, I didn't think I'd like it this much. Really fresh idea.

And thank jebus for them bringing back ambient music in free roam, makes such a huge difference in bringing the world to life.