PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Edward?

Assassin_M
06-12-2013, 01:38 AM
So....we heard his voice, saw his mannerisms and such....do you like him so far?

AC2_alex
06-12-2013, 01:43 AM
Not a Connor hater whatsoever but in my opinion, Edward is more intriguing to me than Connor. I'm excited to see how his story pans out.

LoyalACFan
06-12-2013, 01:43 AM
I like him so far, even though I think they're trying a bit too hard with the womanizing thing. And I like that he's not pretending to be a shining paragon of virtue, unlike Connor and Ezio.

What do you think about him, M?

Assassin_M
06-12-2013, 01:45 AM
I like him so far, even though I think they're trying a bit too hard with the womanizing thing. And I like that he's not pretending to be a shining paragon of virtue, unlike Connor and Ezio.
That womanizing thing is just pandering for the Ezio fanboys, i`m pretty sure it wont be as annoying as how it was with Ezio...at least he`s a pirate and having fun, not on a revenge quest....it`ll also be interesting to see how his views will eventually change to mach those of Connor and Ezio...i`d love to see some Connor cockiness in him...we already saw Haytham`s charisma..

TheDanteEX
06-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Not much for now. I do like a lot about him, though. His relationship with other characters seems to be the most interesting part of him. Well, that goes for most characters in any medium. His banter with Blackbeard also seems to be good fun. I'm guessing since they both have the same first name they call each other "Kenway" and "Thatch", and I kind of like that. Edward seems to be able to drive a story alone as opposed to Connor, who I liked, but had to interact with so many historical figures to keep his story moving along. I feel comfortable around Edward already and my only fear is knowing what he's like a bit too much already.

Assassin_M
06-12-2013, 01:48 AM
What do you think about him, M?
So far so, so good....I`m liking that we see some Haytham in there, i`m sure we`ll see some Connor cockiness too....Just him being a pirate is all I needed to make me feel like this is one badass family line....he`s intensity on the ship reminds me of Connor as well...

Shahkulu101
06-12-2013, 01:53 AM
He looks great so far. Cold, calculated and ruthless yet rowdy with his crew and his right hand man Blackbeard. Great voice actor aswell.

montagemik
06-12-2013, 02:02 AM
That womanizing thing is just pandering for the Ezio fanboys, i`m pretty sure it wont be as annoying as how it was with Ezio...at least he`s a pirate and having fun, not on a revenge quest....it`ll also be interesting to see how his views will eventually change to mach those of Connor and Ezio...i`d love to see some Connor cockiness in him...we already saw Haytham`s charisma..

Why is 'womanising' a 'pander to ezio fanboys' rather than an actual character trait for Pirates exactly ? :confused:

Assassin_M
06-12-2013, 02:06 AM
Why is 'womanising' a 'pander to ezio fanboys' rather than an actual character trait for Pirates exactly ? :confused:
pardon my use of wording, I meant the FOCUS on womanizing in the marketing..

Megas_Doux
06-12-2013, 02:33 AM
I like him so far.....

SixKeys
06-12-2013, 02:39 AM
Too early to tell. You can't make an accurate judgment of character based on a couple of lines of dialogue.

Assassin_M
06-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Too early to tell. You can't make an accurate judgment of character based on a couple of lines of dialogue.
It`s too early till you play the game.....might as well do it now and see what everyone thinks...

SixKeys
06-12-2013, 02:49 AM
It`s too early till you play the game.....might as well do it now and see what everyone thinks...

Lots of people did that last year when the AC3 demo came out. We only got two or three sentences from Connor and everyone was like "he's so much like Alta´r! I think he's already my favorite assassin!". Most of those people seemed to disappear without a sound from the forums after the game came out. :rolleyes:

LoyalACFan
06-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Lots of people did that last year when the AC3 demo came out. We only got two or three sentences from Connor and everyone was like "he's so much like Alta´r! I think he's already my favorite assassin!". Most of those people seemed to disappear without a sound from the forums after the game came out. :rolleyes:

This is very true.

E3 Connor- "Let the Patriots fight their own battles, I'm here for the Templar!"

Final Connor- "What would you have me do?"

Assassin_M
06-12-2013, 02:53 AM
I know....(him being like Altair was spot on to an extent, though)....i`m not assuming this is representative of any final judgement..i`m pretty sure no one else is either...

AC2_alex
06-12-2013, 03:07 AM
This is very true.

E3 Connor- "Let the Patriots fight their own battles, I'm here for the Templar!"

Final Connor- "What would you have me do?"

lol he does say that a lot. XD

Assassin_M
06-12-2013, 03:10 AM
It`s a family thing...

LoyalACFan
06-12-2013, 03:12 AM
It`s a family thing...

I have a feeling it won't transfer to Edward. Hopefully.

Megas_Doux
06-12-2013, 03:13 AM
It`s a family thing...

The second most badass family in gaming, only behind Big boss and Eve┤s artificial spring......

Assassin_M
06-12-2013, 03:14 AM
I have a feeling it won't transfer to Edward. Hopefully.
Well, Haytham said it...Darby stressed the idea of seeing Connor and Haytham in Edward....maybe that`s one of those things :P

Bashilir
06-12-2013, 03:16 AM
I thought the part where Edward sits down on the bench and starts talking to the chick was funny. It was a good way to show the guy he was following that he was just flirting but at the same time, it was funny. We see Altair and Ezio when they sit on a bench and they're so serious.. it was ALMOST A NOD(I didn't say Connor because honestly, when did you ever have to blend in? KILLING FTW)

LoyalACFan
06-12-2013, 03:24 AM
Well, Haytham said it...Darby stressed the idea of seeing Connor and Haytham in Edward....maybe that`s one of those things :P

I prefer to think that the resemblance will present itself in the form of murderous badassery.

... and recycled animations :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
06-12-2013, 03:26 AM
I`m pretty sure those who voted no, just did so to tell me i`m stupid

Bashilir
06-12-2013, 03:27 AM
i`m pretty sure those who voted no, just did so to tell me i`m stupid

SMOKEBOMB APPEAR

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18louga30pgv5jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

CountessSzilagy
06-12-2013, 03:36 AM
I wish there were more options on this poll. :/ I have not read Assassin's Creed: Forsaken yet to know much about Edward. So going by what I have seen so far, and how his story will be one of redemption from adultery and selfishness...I feel like, he's a combination of Alta´r and Ezio. :/

AC2_alex
06-12-2013, 03:41 AM
I`m pretty sure those who voted no, just did so to tell me i`m stupid

You can only blame yourself.... considering the maker of this poll goes by the alias "Assassin_M"

projectpat06
06-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Haytham is my favorite character so far then Connor due to the complexities of their characters and how they juxtapose each other. From what I've seen of edward, he brings out the best element of both characters. A small example has been the charisma and egotistical nature of Haytham and the brash but loyal mentality in combat that we see in Connor. For anyone who complains about the womanizing only making him look like Ezio, think about yourself or at least one of your good friends who is at least slightly handsome and confident in their early 20's (especially in college). Womanizing is something most guys around that age go through anyways. It was just more ridiculous and kind of pedophiliac when ezio was doing it in his 50's.

CountessSzilagy
06-12-2013, 06:32 AM
Haytham is my favorite character so far then Connor due to the complexities of their characters and how they juxtapose each other. From what I've seen of edward, he brings out the best element of both characters. A small example has been the charisma and egotistical nature of Haytham and the brash but loyal mentality in combat that we see in Connor. For anyone who complains about the womanizing only making him look like Ezio, think about yourself or at least one of your good friends who is at least slightly handsome and confident in their early 20's (especially in college). Womanizing is something most guys around that age go through anyways. It was just more ridiculous and kind of pedophiliac when ezio was doing it in his 50's.

Ezio was one fine sugar daddy watchu talkin 'bout

I'd also bang Haytham in his current age. *whistles*

Spider_Sith9
06-12-2013, 08:05 AM
It went from "I hate him and I wish Connor was back." to "He's okay."

Assassin_M
06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
It went from "I hate him and I wish Connor was back." to "He's okay."
That`s good...it`s a positive step...don`t become like the Youtube Idiots who hate Connor simply because he`s not a carbon copy of Ezio....i`m not going to miss Connor, If Ubisoft isn't going to make another game with him, i`m sure we`d have known by now...and if we`re not getting another game then bloody fine, other characters who can be equally awesome...Connor bagged 2 best character awards and was nominated for one....

not too shabby for his first game...if it`s the last, then oh well...

silvermercy
06-12-2013, 08:26 AM
I really like him so far but I also agree with this. I hope they tone it down as the game progresses. If he stays a womaniser I don't feel there will be actual character development. Besides, how will they explain his later life of settling down with marriage and kids...

Assassin_M
06-12-2013, 10:58 AM
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_ac4_gameplay-14180.jpg
http://gyazo.com/89309d34d126d7d29496bb2ca7080a33.png
http://gyazo.com/edf8ca488be671cb4f9b9f7fdcd20fe5.png

ProletariatPleb
06-12-2013, 11:00 AM
I really like him so far but I also agree with this. I hope they tone it down as the game progresses. If he stays a womaniser I don't feel there will be actual character development. Besides, how will they explain his later life of settling down with marriage and kids...
because for some reason people stay the same forever, right?

silvermercy
06-12-2013, 11:08 AM
because for some reason people stay the same forever, right?
Well, I'm skeptical because I try to analyze his behaviour from a scientific point of view. I've been reading a lot of human psychology science journals lately (I work in a hospital and come into contact with other fields) and the current research (according to my colleagues at least) indicates that people exhibiting such behaviour rarely change. They're like addicts. In addition to the psychology research there's also some biomed research (my field) to support those claims especially when it comes to males and hormones like oxytocin. Not sure about pirates... No research yet, but I suppose that would be even worse. lol

Anyway, too much science for this forum! Sorry! ;p

MasterAssasin84
06-12-2013, 11:25 AM
I am really liking Edward Kenway and i am very very intrigued about the Assassin and Pirate identitiy clash ! i am not going to sit here and boast that Edward will be bthe best Assassin to grace the franchise because every Assassin IMO is liked for the own qualites.

But i think Edward is going to be a breath of Fresh air to the series because its no secret that Every Assassin thus far we have seen has been initiated into the brotherhood under sad and distressing circumstances. Starting out as Pirate and gradualy being drawn into the war between the Assassin and Templars is in my view very good character building not forgetting the Pirate trained by Assassins scenario is another massive selling point for me because i love Pirates :) so yes suffice to say i really like Edward Kenway.

pacmanate
06-12-2013, 11:26 AM
I like him. He seems interesting.

elq2010
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_ac4_gameplay-14180.jpg
http://gyazo.com/89309d34d126d7d29496bb2ca7080a33.png
http://gyazo.com/edf8ca488be671cb4f9b9f7fdcd20fe5.png

Hmm...when I look at Edward...Doesn't he resemble the concept art version of Ezio? (Left)
http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/8/85/ACBH_Ezio_Concept_Art.jpg

silvermercy
06-12-2013, 12:41 PM
^ he does! lol

Haytham doesn't look so much like Edward... to me at least.
Edward looks more like Connor in some scenes. So I think Haytham got the dark hair and look from his mother.

DisbandedBox359
06-12-2013, 01:32 PM
always thought he was good, now the e3 trailers and demo has sold me on him

Kaschra
06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
I really like him and want to see more about him xD

Ureh
06-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Finding out what happened to Connor and the Homestead will have to wait.

I'm intrigued by Edward. His gaze when studying the cube was so profound.
---

"Your plot is ended."
"Your schemes are at an end."

Aphex_Tim
06-12-2013, 03:47 PM
I like his interaction with NPC's in the demo, and I really hope it won't be demo-only.
I believe I saw some random bloke offering Edward a bottle of rum, which he rejected. And also him interacting with people he's blending with.
I know it's more of a game mechanic than something that has to do with his personality, but still!

Sigv4rd
06-16-2013, 04:12 AM
He's talkative and I like the way he walks... When I see more gameplay my opinion may change for better or worse...
Still not my favorite protagonist... for me it's
1.Connor/ RatohnhakÚ ton
2.Haytham
3.Ezio
4.Altiar
5.Edward
6.He Man (I don't care what anyone says eventually there will be a game set in Eternia)
7.Desmond

Ureh
06-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Have they shown Edward without his armor? Atm I think he might look better with it. That's a first. :o

lothario-da-be
06-16-2013, 06:47 AM
I like him so far, and his voice is very cool, kinda pirate-ish :p

IceHot100
06-16-2013, 09:25 AM
No. These kind of characters are very easy to create and develop. There's nothing new in him from what we've seen so far. Connor for instance wasn't our usual "be cool, kill the bad guys, and sleep with b i t c h e s" kinda character. That was what attracted me towards him. Edward is potentially just another Ezio with little changes and thus not innovative. Although we've seen him, that doesn't mean we personally know him like we know any of the previous protagonists. Wouldn't be surprised if Edwards characters changes gradually throughout the game. Now that would make me attached to the character.

Sushiglutton
06-16-2013, 09:44 AM
He seems very dark, I like that. Very different from the other ones. But so far we know very little ofc. I'm curious to find out more though.

souNdwAve89
06-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Too early to tell for me, at least. I'm neutral at the moment and I was kinda turned off about him when AC4 was revealed.

poptartz20
06-17-2013, 06:58 AM
So far no major complaints. I think that we will see the highlights of Haytham and Connor all in Edward. I love seeing the complex dynamic in characters. I guess for now it's safe to say I like him!

Jexx21
06-17-2013, 07:21 AM
I'm actually psyched for Edward. I feel like he might become my second favorite Assassin. (first is Connor)

Of course, I may also be attached to him because he freaking dual wields swords.

PIRATE ASSASSIN ACTION

what are some popular archetypes? Ninjas, Pirates, Cowboys, Samurai, Indians, Aliens, Zombies?

We got our Indian Assassin (Connor), we got our Pirate Assassin (Edward), we got our Aliens (TWCB (also not actually aliens but still qualify as)), technically Assassins fulfill the Ninja dream by being all parkour-y, but they aren't the hide in the shadows type, we still need our Cowboys and Samurai, and Zombies will eventually come through Juno-controlled slaves (maybe).

So we need our wild west setting, our Chinese/Japanese setting, and zombies. We need zombies.

BATISTABUS
06-17-2013, 07:32 AM
I trust Darby with my wallet and my heart.

Dosenwabe
06-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Pure hate. pure hate... so much.

Sigv4rd
06-19-2013, 07:54 PM
I really like that he doesn't have a beaked hood :o *Ziplines Away*

Ureh
06-20-2013, 12:45 AM
I really like that he doesn't have a beaked hood :o *Ziplines Away*

*Burns the rope from the other side* :o

Megas_Doux
06-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Beaked hood is overrated!

Faith leaps away :P

AC2_alex
06-20-2013, 12:53 AM
<negative comment about beaked hood>

<unoriginal escape joke in *'s>

Sigv4rd
06-20-2013, 03:13 AM
*Burns the rope from the other side* :o

*Parachutes away* :o

Sigv4rd
06-20-2013, 03:15 AM
Beaked hood is overrated!

Faith leaps away :P

You I like... Also think he should wear Haytham's taco hat!

Kit572
06-20-2013, 08:24 AM
I like him so far, yes. I am actually looking forward to playing as him and think he might become one of my favorite AC protagonists. My most favorite one being Altair. I just like it how he feels like a combination between Ezio and Connor. Well, for me anyway.